beer me

Oddometer: 417
Any other ideas?
Old 06-16-2013, 04:45 PM   #17
VtStom
Adventurer

Oddometer: 54
Eh? Perfect waterproof, warm and packable jacket?? maybe

My jacket of choice is the EMS Storm front jacket...fits well and goes inside both my Joe Rocket armored jackets..
Full water proof zippers and no extra bulk.... totally wind /rain proof!
I chose this to replace my last system 3 jacket that had no hood ( this one has a hood that fits inside my helmet ) because I ride in every weather that Vermont throws at me and this is how I keep dry, I will also layer a fleece under it for warmth too :
http://www.ems.com/product/index.jsp...44&cid=1090808

VtStom screwed with this post 06-16-2013 at 04:55 PM
VtStom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2013, 07:21 PM   #18
achtung3
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 955
I've got a Goretex Jacket that is extremely warm and waterproof but not too compact when packed but if I put in a super strength zipplock bag it can be squashed pretty thin, I haven't found any jacket as warm and waterproof as that and since I wear small size it helps quite a bit. Not interested in any new jackets because I have two of these and one stays in the bike's bag.
achtung3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2013, 07:23 PM   #19
DYNOBOB
lucky dog

Oddometer: 803
I'll toss out a different option. A waterproof shell that packs small for the campfire and a heated Aerostich fleece jacket for layering. Heated jacket can make a world of difference on an unexpectedly cold ride. Mine is always on the bike I'm riding.

DYNOBOB is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2013, 12:31 PM   #20
zeeede
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 847
I like the suggestions of a seperate insulating layer and waterproof shell... layering is good. I have an LL Bean Ascent Packaway Jacket:
http://www.llbean.com/llb/shop/76777
Packs down into its own pocket when not in use... about the size of a large paperback. I use it as a layer in the cold under my motorcycle jacket or for skiing. Makes a nice around-town jacket, around camp jacket... it's great.

I currently don't have a packable waterproof shell, but there's plent of options out there. Ponchos are great if it's just around camp, but you look like a fool walking around touristy places in one.
zeeede is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2013, 01:04 PM   #21
Riteris
Dessert Runner

Oddometer: 2,831
A liner that relies on a filling like down or polyester might not work very well under the weight of a motorcycle jacket. The jacket will compress the air out of the liner and negate the insulating properties of the liner.

I found my Patagonia down sweater was colder than my wind proof fleece jacket under my Darien for that reason.

Plus, a nylon shell might not be the best thing to wear around a campfire and or when smoking stuff with seeds in it due to flying embers.

I am taking the advice of all those people that told me, "Hey kid, why don't you go play in traffic!"
Riteris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2013, 07:53 PM   #22
alcontrast
at least I'm trying

Oddometer: 1,538
as others have stated.. A gore-tex or similar waterproof shell (simple hooded jacket) and an insulating layer or two underneath.. The best way to go.. For fairly inexpensive lightweight gear check out Go-Lite.com.. Their winter jacket clearance options are rather limited now but a month or two ago I picked up two great insulated jackets for around $130 total.. One was an 800 fill Goose Down hooded parka for real cold weather and the other was a mid-weight synthetic insulation jacket for camp use or under my winter riding jacket.

For gore-tex or similar shells I'd recommend 3 layer types which are a little more abrasion resistant and will stay waterproof longer.. They're slightly heavier than the 2 layer material but on a bike you won't notice the 2-3 ounce weight difference and durability will be substantially increased.. Waterproof durability, not road rash durability.. Aside from the motorcycle specific gore-tex jackets that use heavy cordura fabric for the outer layer most gore-tex rain shells will shred in a millisecond in a motorcycle spill..

3 layer gore-tex shown above; blue being the heavier nylon/cordura outer layer. note that all three layers are bonded together to create one piece of fabric..

2 Layer goretex where the black liner layer is not bonded and is simply held in place at the seams of the garment.. The liner layer can slide around eventually creating holes in the waterproof membrane. The 2 layer is often a little more comfortable to wear, a little lighter, and a little cheaper though.. so perhaps the trade-offs are worth it?

personally I tend to buy generic "waterproof / breathable" (ie: not actual Gore-Tex™) jackets when they are on sale that are either EMS or REI brand and just replace them every 2-3 years since the full MSRP price is usually right around $100 or less.. It will obviously be less than that if you buy it during a sale... Goretex has the best reputation for this sort of gear but waterproof breathable membrane technology is decades old now and most of the generic brands do the job just as well as goretex for 95% of us..

When in doubt, gas it. It will either fix the problem, or at the very least end the suspense.

07 650GS / 05 DRZ400S / 72 CB350 (that hasn't run since shortly after I bought it)
alcontrast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2013, 10:40 AM   #23
kvr929rr
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 179
Take the armor out of your Badlands Jacket and wear a pressure suit underneath it when you ride. In most conditions you'll be plenty warm with that and you can change your base layers from silk weight to expedition weight to fine tune it. for lounging around camp a light down sweater or jacket will block the wind and keep you warm. If you need rain protection just put on the Badlands. Without the armor you'll be able to move and it will also block the wind. If you really want an extra jacket then a Marmot Precip will do what you want and will pack down really small and will work with the rest of your "system"
kvr929rr is offline   Reply With Quote