Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-17-2013, 05:30 PM   #16
Ben Carufel OP
Boxer Addict

Oddometer: 632
Quote:
Originally Posted by disston View Post
I have customized the tube lengths on mine. The short tube is only a quarter inch high and the long tube, I'm not too sure, but think about an inch and a half. This is too short for the long straw because I get max mileage before I switch to reserve but only have about ten miles in my reserve. Some day I'll correct this.

Make your straws any length you like. The OEM had a much longer than needed short straw. I think the idea was that the tank could fill with peeling paint and water for ten years before there was ever a sign of a problem and ya know what? That's sometimes what we find in the bottom of tanks with stock straws in them. If you make the long straw too short you have a smaller reserve. Is all that clear? I think I got it right.
Yep, all makes sense. I think I'll make the long straw about 1cm shorter than the strainer piece, and the short straw will protrude about 2cm from petcock.
Ben Carufel is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2013, 06:16 PM   #17
Kanticoy
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 279
I use the strainer from capital cycle in mine. Works just fine and it's cheap.
Kanticoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2013, 06:54 PM   #18
Plaka
Brevis illi vita est

Oddometer: 4,582
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ben Carufel View Post
Thanks disston. On my way to the auto parts store to drop off some used oil and pick up some silicone grease now.

The 5/32 brass tubing fits perfectly with the holes I drilled. Nicely snug, it's definitely not coming out on its own. Since the holes are at a slight angle, I will need to put a slight bend into the taller tube.

Does anyone happen to have a Karcoma petcock laying around to measure the length of the tubes when installed? I am curious to know how far each tube extends past the flat upper surface (end of threads) of the petcock.
they should be about 1/8-3/16" below the top of the screens. the short (reserve) tube determines the residual 'crap catcher' gas left in the tank. Longer is good if you get a lot of bad gas but shorter makes tanks last longer (you know sooner if there is water in there.)

I bought a 2 oz tube of silicone di-electric grease (Enchlin brand from NAPA) in my early 20's. Some 35 years later I have half left, and I use it a lot on multiple vehicles.. I also have a film canister of Dow product dipped out of a 5 gallon bucket of the stuff I saw while working for Rubbermaid. It was being used at the beginning of a run to lube up the big extrusion dies they use to blow their trash can liners. Seldom use it---sometimes on light bulbs.

The little packets sold on the counter display at the auto parts place will last a couple years---squeeze it out into a small Altoids tin or something.

I went to a Chinese funeral once--a gal who worked for me. Everyone tossed something into the grave that she might want in the afterlife. I tossed in a very nice bit of 3 axis CNC work she had done (she was a machinist)...something to show if she went looking for work.

Disston is going past the grave with the better part of an enormous can of silicone grease...

Hard tubing don't like being bent. I'd leave it if the screens fit OK.
Plaka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2013, 07:31 PM   #19
Ben Carufel OP
Boxer Addict

Oddometer: 632
Thanks for all the info. Went to 2 different stores looking for silicone grease, then I remembered that I have a tube of Syl Glide in the toolbox. Duh, that's exactly what it is. That'll work.

Think I'm just going to re-use my existing strainers. My dealer has the 16 12 1 240 060 "fiber gasket" for the top connections in stock for 99 cents apiece and the strainers are fine, if a little discolored (who cares?). Beats spending $10 apiece plus shipping on the nifty new ones with integrated aluminum gaskets (which are apparently now NLA).

Oh, and the 12" of brass tubing was a whopping $1.27 at the hobby store. Dig it.
Ben Carufel is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2013, 07:40 PM   #20
disston
ShadeTreeExpert

Oddometer: 8,986
Quote:
Originally Posted by Plaka View Post
Disston is going past the grave with the better part of an enormous can of silicone grease...
I resisted, didn't buy it. But I still have a fair amount of junk. Some how I think my collection of junk may pale compared to Plaka's.

Pay your debt, piratejohn.http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=949341
disston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2013, 07:44 PM   #21
Plaka
Brevis illi vita est

Oddometer: 4,582
Quote:
Originally Posted by disston View Post
I resisted, didn't buy it. But I still have a fair amount of junk. Some how I think my collection of junk may pale compared to Plaka's.
mostly materials, supplies....and tools. You know, the good stuff.
Plaka is offline   Reply With Quote