User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-09-2013, 08:57 PM   #31
V@lentino OP
Inspektor

Oddometer: 815
Talking Update route

Following everybody's suggestions, here is my updated tentative itinerary from Douglas, USA to Huixtla, Mex, it's about 4500 km, so it should be perfect to put us in the Latin groove and ready for Guatemala and the rest of Central America.

From Huixtla, East to cross into GT at La Messila.

Thanks again. Now how do you gents suggest I make my way to Guatemala city?

The motorcycle chronicles of Jackie & Valentino
The Southern Episode
V@lentino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2013, 09:27 PM   #32
SchizzMan
pronounced `skiz-man

Oddometer: 7,615
Hola ac_elite,

Your plan has come a long way.

I haven't taken the coastal route to Tapachula en route to Guate. Last year I left
Puerto Escondido and rode Hwy 200 until turning off for the "highland route" to
Tuxtla and San Cristóbal de las Casas where I overnighted before proceeding to
the crossing at La Mesilla.

San Cristóbal de las Casas is a nice town to stay in. Try for near the central plaza.

The highland route is very nice to see and easy to navigate. La Mesilla was easy as
well. The road to Lago Atitlan was great for running the bikes hard through mountain
twisties. Cops paid us no mind. They were told to lay off the tourists according to
Guate locals.

You have several good options around Atitlan. I stayed in Panajachel which was touristy
but a good time. Take a boat ride out on the lago. From there head to Antigua. Very
photogenic place and worth a nights stay. Hook up with the CATours guys. Then on to
Guate City.

That's it for my route recommendation.

"As long as there's a horizon and I can see it, then I want to know what's there, mentally, physically and visually" - rtwpaul
SchizzMan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2013, 10:40 PM   #33
going south
hero & Zero...

Oddometer: 957
Quote:
Originally Posted by SchizzMan View Post
Last year I left
Puerto Escondido and rode Hwy 200 until turning off for the "highland route" to
Tuxtla and San Cristóbal de las Casas where I overnighted before proceeding to
the crossing at La Mesilla.

San Cristóbal de las Casas is a nice town to stay in. Try for near the central plaza.
I did this route in reverse, and really liked it, San Cristobal was a neat place to explore for me, I was only going to stay one night, but it turned into three. lots of cheap, but very nice & clean little places to stay with safe parking for Moto's. Great food.
lots of drop off laundry shops, something like 12Peso's per Kilo..

I think you'll like it..

Never Lost! Just Don't know where I am!

"Don't worry about your money, let your money worry about you" Jorge González
going south is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2013, 04:24 AM   #34
MikeMike
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,969
Careful heading through Tapachula in rainy season. The streets are the natural drainage and it makes life miserable.
All things Guatemala, talk it over with Guaterider, for sure.
If you can come into Veracruz via Puebla and over to Papantla (don't miss El Tajin at dawn or at dusk for photos) you can then drop down into Oaxaca via the old 5 haciendas route and then through a very special route I will give you the details for as you get closer.
Watch the rains in Chiapas.
MikeMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2013, 06:32 AM   #35
jimmex
Rider

Oddometer: 2,216
^^^This is right; the ride on Mex 16 and then down to San Juanito, Creel, Guachochi, Parral will be one of the absolute best you do the whole trip.
jimmex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2013, 06:52 AM   #36
Jamie Z
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 7,659
Looks like I'm a bit late on this one. Though it's a bit out of your way, I was going to suggest visiting the town of Xilitla, where you can find the ruins of Las Posas, built by a British millionaire a couple decades ago. It's a bizarre place.

It's interesting, but not so much that I'd recommend altering your itinerary, unless you have an extra day to spare.

Jamie

Budget Travel the Jamie Z Way
Jamie Z is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2013, 10:04 AM   #37
SchizzMan
pronounced `skiz-man

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmex View Post
^^^This is right; the ride on Mex 16 and then down to San Juanito, Creel, Guachochi, Parral will be one of the absolute best you do the whole trip.
+1

Beautiful country. Best pollo asado in all Mexico.

"As long as there's a horizon and I can see it, then I want to know what's there, mentally, physically and visually" - rtwpaul
Old 06-10-2013, 06:20 PM   #38
acejones
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,719
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jamie Z View Post
Looks like I'm a bit late on this one. Though it's a bit out of your way, I was going to suggest visiting the town of Xilitla, where you can find the ruins of Las Posas, built by a British millionaire a couple decades ago. It's a bizarre place.

It's interesting, but not so much that I'd recommend altering your itinerary, unless you have an extra day to spare.

Jamie
Yeah, you are really late on this one; but you are right, it is a neat place !
Old 06-11-2013, 11:10 AM   #39
AndyT
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 457
Not sure how into Maya ruins you are, but if you take Schizzman's route to San Cristobal, you are not far from Palenque, and from there you could cross into Guatemala at El Ceibo and you are not far from Tikal. Palenque and Tikal both get their share of tourist traffic, but they are spectacular, if you are into that sort of thing.
Old 06-11-2013, 12:45 PM   #40
V@lentino OP
Inspektor

Talking Mayan Ruins

Quote:
Originally Posted by SchizzMan View Post
+1

Beautiful country. Best pollo asado in all Mexico.
Well I am now convinced, I am a great fan of all things "asado" especially pollo

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndyT View Post
Not sure how into Maya ruins you are, but if you take Schizzman's route to San Cristobal, you are not far from Palenque, and from there you could cross into Guatemala at El Ceibo and you are not far from Tikal. Palenque and Tikal both get their share of tourist traffic, but they are spectacular, if you are into that sort of thing.
Yes,

I have been thinking about both Palenque and Tikal, and wondering if we might just go East from Huixtla and take the Mex 190/199 up to Palenque. I have now convinced myself than the Mex 175 is not to be missed, but making our way Easward after a day or two in the P. Escondido area sounds like a decent plan. Can you tell me more about the crossing at El Ceibo, where is the actual crossing, this is what I got from G. Map, I see no roads.

The Southern Episode
Old 06-11-2013, 01:59 PM   #41
Sjoerd Bakker
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,198
If you want to read the details on the El Ceibo crossing check out this thread http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=422517 and some posts by moi et al from several years ago.I had some pictures there but only now I see that Pixelgallery shut down last December, the pics ar gone now.
Highly recommended crossing El Ceibo if you are in the area . NB : avoid Monday crossings in case the labour shortage still has only the one official handling Banjercito affairs because you will want to cancel the TVIP and get the security deposit refund if you are en route to South America.

Now if you do wind up including Palenque in your plans then it really makes more sense to not go as far as Huixtla on Mex 200 because then you would just wind up travelling back NORTH and west while you are only a few km from Guatemala .Unless of course you have lots of time and don't mind meandering like that, which I do highly recommend, and the road from Huixtla north is a beaut (sp?)
Coming from Pto Angel and Pochutla, after Mex 175, carry the route east on Mex 200 to Salina Cruz, combined Mex 185-190 and 200 through Juchitan ,La Ventosa and at San Pedro Tapanatepec veer away from the coast NE on Mex 190 . You will climb into high country , very nice ranch zone, then steadily higher in steps to Tuxtla Gutierrez(Sumidero Canyon ) , and San Cristobal with cool mountain climate. East of San Cristobal take Mex 199 north to Ocosingo and maybe visit nearby ruins of Tonina before hitting Palenque and the grand ruins site there. After that it is a small wiggle to get to Tenosique and El Ceibo.
The Mex 200 route along the coast to the GT frontier is also charming ,landscape and climate changes character gradually from the hot and dry into more humid forested greenery resembling the Central American zone you are entering.
Bythe way , what season is this trip planned to start ? Might make a difference esp. up north , snow in Mexico possible y'know.

Your map of the Palenque area is missing vast amounts of paved highway ,. You will find excellent highways all the way to El Ceibo and through Guatemala. The options in Mexico and CA are so many you may never get to SA if you explore all of these
Sjoerd Bakker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2013, 02:07 PM   #42
V@lentino OP
Inspektor

Thanks for the details Sjoerd Bakker, as I was typing my previous post I was also looking at how to diagonally make our South-East instead of back tracking.

The trip is planned for late September, out of Victoria, BC, out of LA, where we pick up our riding partner on the 29 Sep/1 Oct, so likely 2 1/2 weeks later around the Mex to Guat border.

The Southern Episode
Old 06-17-2013, 02:14 PM   #43
kevin2735
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 160
Quote:
Originally Posted by ac_elite View Post
Following everybody's suggestions, here is my updated tentative itinerary from Douglas, USA to Huixtla, Mex, it's about 4500 km, so it should be perfect to put us in the Latin groove and ready for Guatemala and the rest of Central America.

From Huixtla, East to cross into GT at La Messila.

Thanks again. Now how do you gents suggest I make my way to Guatemala city?

Can you share the Google link to that route? Would love to look at it more closely.

http://kevin2735.blogspot.com/
kevin2735 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2013, 05:04 PM   #44
Jamie Z
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 7,659
Hard to tell exactly from your map, but my recommendation for road going into and out of Oaxaco is 175. Really amazing road on both sides of the city. I rode it from coast to coast.

Jamie

Budget Travel the Jamie Z Way
Jamie Z is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2013, 07:40 PM   #45
SchizzMan
pronounced `skiz-man

+1