User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 86 votes, 4.84 average. Display Modes
Old 06-05-2013, 01:39 PM   #2701
bracky72
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 918
I got my 964 out today for the first time since my bike accident. It felt great. :)

bracky72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2013, 08:27 AM   #2702
jcf
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 249
Quote:
Originally Posted by apexeric View Post
I'll take the one on the right please!
+ 1 ,which would make it 2
jcf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2013, 08:22 AM   #2703
Malcontent
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 101
Quote:
Originally Posted by pfb View Post
The US OEM ride height was ridiculously high and floaty... I really wasn't up for spending the price of a nice dirt bike on coil-overs, so I decided to try H&R lowering springs on the OEM Bilstein struts.

Super happy with the results. Transformed the handling as well as the looks... Tested so far on highway, city streets, mountain roads and a day at the track.
Thanks for the info. I have the US-spec. M030 sport suspension on mine and it has the same ride height as the standard suspension - too high. Sounds like the H&Rs are a good option.
Malcontent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2013, 05:28 AM   #2704
Turder
Throttle engineer

Oddometer: 459
991 GT3 1st drive: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KVdme4ISq8Y
Old 06-17-2013, 11:16 AM   #2705
HOT DAMN!
♪ ♪ ♪

Oddometer: 7,633
Old 06-17-2013, 12:08 PM   #2706
pfb
Riding, not skiing.

Oddometer: 5,366
I never thought I'd say this... but I'm definitely warming up to the idea of owning a PDK car as a real alternative to a six speed, even in a 'drivers car' where honing skills is a key portion of the enjoyment.

I was at the track this past weekend in the 996 C2... As much as I enjoy challenging myself with blips, rev matching, and smooth gear changes when the car is being pushed, eliminating some of that workload still gives me more challenges than I can likely master. Perfect timing on gear changes, ideal lines and entry speeds, working off-line corrections after passing, perfect weight transfer, etc would keep me quite engaged while the PDK does flawless, rev-matched downshifts and lightening fast upshifts . There is no way I'd opt for anything so far from optimal as the tiptronic, but just as Porsche can implement PSM without being intrusive or detracting from a track day even without being switched off, so it seems they might have perfected clutch-pedal-less transmissions.

I've been thinking about the new Cayman with PDK. The GT3 is absurdly out of any possible Porsche budget in my future, so one advantage is I still would have a choice of six speed or PDK!

I keep thinking that a lightly optioned 2014 Cayman 'drivers car' would be sweet. Nothing but PDK, PASM, Sport Seats, Sports steering wheel. Done for under $60K MSRP. IMHO Porsche hit it out of the park with the styling on the new Cayman.

Would I rather have a 991 GT3? You betcha... Go Powerball!

pfb screwed with this post 06-17-2013 at 12:21 PM
pfb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2013, 12:16 PM   #2707
djb_rh
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 486
Quote:
Originally Posted by pfb View Post
I never thought I'd say this... but I'm definitely warming up to the idea of owning a PDK car as a real alternative to a six speed, even in a 'drivers car' where honing skills is a key portion of the enjoyment.

I was at the track this past weekend in the 996 C2... As much as I enjoy challenging myself with blips, rev matching, and smooth gear changes when the car is being pushed, eliminating some of that workload still gives me more challenges than I can likely master. Perfect timing on gear changes, ideal lines and entry speeds, working off-line corrections after passing, perfect weight transfer, etc would keep me quite engaged while the PDK does flawless, rev-matched downshifts and lightening fast upshifts . There is no way I'd opt for anything so far from optimal as the tiptronic, but just as Porsche can implement PSM without being intrusive or detracting from a track day even without being switched off, so it seems they might have perfected clutch-pedal-less transmissions.

I've been thinking about the new Cayman with PDK. The GT3 is absurdly out of any possible Porsche budget in my future, so one advantage is I still would have a choice of six speed or PDK!

I keep thinking that a lightly optioned 2014 Cayman 'drivers car' would be sweet. Nothing but PDK, PASM, Sport Seats, Sports steering wheel. Done for under $60K MSRP.

For mere mortals who occasionally do track days, the above is one of the best options around, certainly. The Cayman chassis is so wonderfully communicative and well balanced that it's just a joy to drive. It has a "limit", but it has a long way past the "limit" that it's just slower, not a wreck. I mean you can certainly wreck one, but not as easily as you can wreck a 911 when you run out of talent, anyway. 911's are wonderful in their own way, but definitely require some additional skills that other cars just don't.

And yes, the PDK is a great option. I can sort of understand the "I'll never switch" crowd, but that crowd *will* get outrun by the PDK cars ultimately, too. But if you don't care about what is faster and just want "pure" (whatever that really means), I guess a manual it is. Me, I'll take whatever is faster, and now it's the PDK.

--Donnie, 400HP Cayman owner who has owned several 911's, too
Old 06-17-2013, 12:46 PM   #2708
ScottDill
TANSTAAFL

Oddometer: 4,089
I've no interest in car track days, but I am really seriously considering a Boxtser S for my idea of a "drivers" car.

Anyone care to talk me out of it?
ScottDill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2013, 02:15 PM   #2709
CA_Strom
Cunning Linguist

Oddometer: 2,129
Quote:
Originally Posted by ScottDill View Post
I've no interest in car track days, but I am really seriously considering a Boxtser S for my idea of a "drivers" car.

Sorry, can't help you with that one. After driving the new redesigned 2013 981 Boxster S at the Porsche road show last year, it's on my bucket list. I'm hoping by the time I have the cashish saved up, the lease return 2013's are hitting the CPO'd market. No comparison between the old/new Boxster's, I must have the 981....
Old 06-17-2013, 03:27 PM   #2710
Desmofan
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 527
And, at our local PCA autocross, I watched a well driven PDK Boxster Spyder smoke most of the GT3 times I can't wait for the CPO 2013 Boxsters in a few years (I bought my '02 Boxster-S as a CPO with 18K miles, still smelling like a new car, for 60% of its original list).
Desmofan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2013, 08:27 PM   #2711
STANIMAL
SUPPORT THE SECOND

Oddometer: 2,725
Quote:
Originally Posted by ScottDill View Post

Boxters are for girls .
I'm ignorant, but happy---steyr_scout308
STANIMAL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2013, 11:03 AM   #2712
KraigD
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 99
Thumb

I have owned 8 Porsches in my life and loved them all. But I never kept one longer than a year or so. Then I bought my CPO 2000 Boxster S in 2002 with 21k miles on it, factory turbo 18" wheels and loaded with every option needed, 11 years later and 89k miles, not one mech problem ever, and it drives like new. As for saying its a girl car you must have never driven one. The car handles way better than my 96 C4S, it is much faster and being so much lighter it stops better as well. Not much downside. For the money its a great car.

Quote:
Originally Posted by STANIMAL View Post
Boxters are for girls .
KraigD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2013, 11:11 AM   #2713
bracky72
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 918
My next Porsche will be a Cayman S. What a car. :):):)
bracky72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2013, 01:08 PM   #2714
ScottDill
TANSTAAFL

Oddometer: 4,089
Quote:
Originally Posted by STANIMAL View Post
Boxters are for girls .

Good thing, I like girls....
ScottDill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2013, 01:37 PM   #2715
falconati
baller

Oddometer: 651
The Boxster and Cayman are such perfect cars, I'm not even sure why the 911 exists.

Oh right, profits. I always forget about that piece.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: