Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-09-2013, 08:48 PM   #1
llsetter13 OP
Adventurer

Oddometer: 20
Rigid Industries vs PIAA vs Clearwater lights

Hey ya'll,

I've got a set of PIAA 510 super white driving lights and am toying with the idea of changing them out. I'm leaning towards mounting a set of Rigid Industries Dually Spot lights on top and a set of the Dually Flood lights on bottom of the PIAA light bar I have mounted under the beak of my r1200gs. I like the Clearwater lights but the Krista's would still run about $250 more to purchase than the two sets of Rigid Industries lights. Any thoughts or suggestions?
llsetter13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2013, 03:44 AM   #2
andrewhtf
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 115
Baja squadron.

A pair of 'em will put smile to your face!
andrewhtf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2013, 03:50 AM   #3
Boondox
Travels With Barley

Oddometer: 2,919
If you have to deal with opposing traffic, get a dual or variable intensity light. The brightest light in the world is useless if you have to turn it off (and leave yourself with just the anemic OEM lighting) every time a car is coming your way. Denali D2 is good, but I run Kristas as they throw more light downrange.
I got a sidecar to travel with my dog. He never complains, is delighted to be with me, approves of my dietary choices, is a social butterfly who helps me meet folks, appreciates a good beer, snuggles better than my wife, and hangs on my every word as if it's the most profound thing he's ever heard. TravelsWithBarley.com
Boondox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2013, 09:56 PM   #4
llsetter13 OP
Adventurer

suggestions

thanks for the suggestions. i had never heard of baja designs before but those squadrons look pretty intense. looks like they would run about $650 plus i would need to buy a dimmer switch to wire into them so i didn't get murdered when i blinded on-coming traffic and they steered into me by accident. looking further into clearwater lights the Krista's would cost about $850 but would come with the dimmer switch and the Darla's would cost $570 and come with the dimmer. now i know there is more to a light than strictly the lumens it puts out but i could go with two sets of rigid industries lights (a spot and a flood on each side), each putting out about 1600 lumens for $170 less than the Darla's and $450 less than the Krista's. i don't know that i can justify that big of an increase in price for the clearwater lights. Any thoughts? has anyone seen the rigid industries lights on a motorcycle before?
Old 06-13-2013, 10:38 PM   #5
andrewhtf
Gnarly Adventurer

Yeap, i had a pair of dually floods for a short while. They were good, but i had to return it as i was only borrowing it for a review.
Old 06-13-2013, 11:56 PM   #6
llsetter13 OP
Adventurer

rigid industries

andrewhtfYeap, i had a pair of dually floods for a short while. They were good, but i had to return it as i was only borrowing it for a review.

Andrew,

If you review things how did the dually's stack up against other lights you've seen? do you think I should do two sets of floods or a set of floods and spots or go with something different?
Old 06-14-2013, 06:24 AM   #7
mrt10x
Dumba$s Jarhead

Oddometer: 3,187
I have a set of Dually's on my BMW.. and I dont think you can get a better light. I have a Baja Squadron on my Husaberg and it kicks ass, but I bought it because it fit into the OEM mask on the bike. My Rigids put out more light than I could ever need, only thing I wish I had done differently would be getting one spot and one flood, instead of two floods. No dimmer like the Kristas, but I only run them when I need them, not 100% of the time so I dont need the dimmer. But fitting a dimmer inline would not be all that tough either.

Take a look at the Denali's over at Twisted Throttle as well, TT has great customer service, the Denali's kick ass, and usually have bike specific wiring harnesses available. If I didn't have the Rigids on the bike already, I would be using Denalis.
Old 06-14-2013, 07:52 AM   #8
trc.rhubarb
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,871
My squadrons are brighter than my friends Krista/Glenda combo.
New Erica's look like they will destroy my Squadrons.
New squadrons - haven't seen yet but I'm getting light envy. I don't need it but I want it!
Dually's were on my list but the BJ lights really did it for me.

You won't be disappointed with any of them as long as you aren't trying to keep up with the Jones'
1975 BMW R90/6
Follow me here
trc.rhubarb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2013, 07:42 PM   #9
andrewhtf
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by llsetter13 View Post
andrewhtfYeap, i had a pair of dually floods for a short while. They were good, but i had to return it as i was only borrowing it for a review.

Andrew,

If you review things how did the dually's stack up against other lights you've seen? do you think I should do two sets of floods or a set of floods and spots or go with something different?
i have only compared between truck lite's model 60 and Rigid dually floods, and i say I'm happier with the Rigid, reason being the proven construction quality and better reflector optics. Only drawing 24 watts each, the reflector is doing quite a good job of sending the light forward and low, with minimal top leakage, this light is suited for use in urban, suburban and roadway traffic, both day or night.

Meanwhile, model 60 draws up 30watts each put up very bright light but it spreads in every direction there is. Looked something like a poor hid mod job in a halogen housing. Intensely bright, annoying glare (for oncoming drivers though) but if your use is only for off road or dark deserted road without other vehicles, this is clearly the light to go for.

I am not sure of the kind of place you ride in nor your local regulation, but personally i prefer the "1 pair flood - 1 pair spot" configuration with separate switches. Flood will be angled downward and off centre (slightly to the side) while spots will be dead centre with horizontal, 0 degree beam angle adjusted with rider+luggage load sitting on the bike. Well that's how I'd prefer anyway.

Both Rigid and model 60 is a whole lot better than the cheap China copy of Denalli's 10 watt lights that worked well as near distance flood. It fills in what the bike's stock headlamp misses just in front of the bike, and it made your bike noticeable (but not offensive enuf) to the oncoming traffic. However as further distance or off road lighting, it is hopeless POS.

andrewhtf screwed with this post 06-15-2013 at 04:00 AM
Old 06-14-2013, 08:08 PM   #10
andrewhtf
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by trc.rhubarb View Post
New squadrons - haven't seen yet but I'm getting light envy. I don't need it but I want it!
Dually's were on my list but the BJ lights really did it for me.

You won't be disappointed with any of them as long as you aren't trying to keep up with the Jones'
damn right! I was itching for a squadron after installing model 60 and not long after i had my eyes on jwspeaker. Good thing those cost a bomb otherwise I'll be riding on a Christmas tree instead.
Old 06-16-2013, 11:15 PM   #11
llsetter13 OP
Adventurer

thanks again

andrew,

thanks for posting that picture of your comparison. to be perfectly honest i had pretty much decided i wanted to go with the rigid industries lights but wanted a confirmation from those that know and have tried them. i called clearwater and talked to them and even with the military discount they are offering the krista's would still be about $150 more than two sets of the rigid duallys. i think with a dimmer switch attached in line with them they would work perfectly and still be nicely priced. hey, worst case scenario, if i don't like them then i've got some rigids to put on my truck and i'll go with the krista's at a later date. thats what i'm doing with my PIAAs when i get the LEDs.

those new squadrons look pretty sick too so thanks for that suggestion but they are up there with the kirsta's for a set so i'm not a fan of the price tag.

thanks again ya'll
Old 06-17-2013, 05:27 AM   #12
mrt10x
Dumba$s Jarhead

Oddometer: 3,187
Quote:
Originally Posted by llsetter13 View Post
andrew,

thanks for posting that picture of your comparison. to be perfectly honest i had pretty much decided i wanted to go with the rigid industries lights but wanted a confirmation from those that know and have tried them. i called clearwater and talked to them and even with the military discount they are offering the krista's would still be about $150 more than two sets of the rigid duallys. i think with a dimmer switch attached in line with them they would work perfectly and still be nicely priced. hey, worst case scenario, if i don't like them then i've got some rigids to put on my truck and i'll go with the krista's at a later date. thats what i'm doing with my PIAAs when i get the LEDs.

those new squadrons look pretty sick too so thanks for that suggestion but they are up there with the kirsta's for a set so i'm not a fan of the price tag.

thanks again ya'll
OBTW when I called Rigid and asked about a military discount they knocked a % off the price.. cant remember what.. 5 or 10 I think. Not really an all the time thing,, but it saved me a few bucks.
Old 06-18-2013, 12:11 AM   #13
llsetter13 OP
Adventurer

discount

mrt10x,

thanks for the thought, i had actually just emailed them today about it to see if they would discount a set for military. i haven't heard back yet to see what they offer. amazon has them for $189 a pair vs the $199 a pair the rigid website is selling them for. guess we'll see if the discount makes buying from worth it.
Old 06-18-2013, 11:37 PM   #14
llsetter13 OP
Adventurer

discount

got an email back from rigid industries today and they do a 10% military discount if you go direct through them. they said their website won't do it but if you place an order from their site you just call them and they will refund you 10% of your purchase. not the best way to do it but still gets you some of your money back.
Old 07-28-2013, 05:16 PM   #15
jamnjim
Adventurer

Oddometer: 19
Darlas

I just purchased a set of Darlas for my 06 CBR. I haven't had a chance to mount them yet; I need to review my service manual and try to identify the low beam and high beam wires coming from the switch. Clearwater said they will assist me with the wiring, via phone, if I have trouble wiring them. I bought them from a vendor I am very passionate about during a recent sale and got a screaming deal.
jamnjim is offline   Reply With Quote