Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Old's Cool > Airheads
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-17-2013, 10:19 AM   #16
disston
ShadeTreeExpert

Oddometer: 8,939
Notice the comments from Wirespokes. One of the more talented people around here and produces a lot of stuff some of which you may be looking for. But we don't always like everything he makes.

I didn't know that about A pillars. Maybe you should change your name to "Manifesto King" or something.

Pay your debt, piratejohn.http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=949341

disston screwed with this post 06-17-2013 at 10:56 AM
disston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2013, 12:57 PM   #17
Voltaire
Bored Of The Rings

Oddometer: 1,388
Over here in NZ VW buses from the 50's,60's and 70's are now worth huge money. They have the likes of me to thank for that as spent my 'yoof' making them better, faster, and so on. Most went to the tip.......
The older guys I worked with did the same to American cars.... hacking down 34 3 window coupes into utes...ah good times. I learnt a lot wrecking cars.

I restored a couple of bikes in the late 80's and R75/5 when they were not sought after and a 59 Triumph T110.

These days I can't be bothered with restored show ponies...especially ones where all the work is done by others.

rant over.

I know Motu, I only ever see his number plate if we go on runs.
Voltaire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2013, 05:28 PM   #18
luxlogs
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 290
The R65LS is already a Cafe Racer bone stock like mine is. And it is smaller than a standard BMW. Seat height about 31 inches. Won't do The Ton but it will get close. Great Looking Bike by BMW Standards.
82 R65LS
92 R100GS
luxlogs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2013, 10:31 PM   #19
Wirespokes
Beemerholics Anonymous

Oddometer: 8,015
Quote:
Originally Posted by disston View Post
I didn't know that about A pillars.
That's some interesting data I didn't know either - check this out: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pillar_%28automobile%29

I didn't chop up perfectly good cars and bikes in my youth, but I certainly didn't value what I had back then. I'd spend a bunch of time and money making them right and then sell or trade them for something else - usually for a lot less than I was into them.
Old 06-17-2013, 10:47 PM   #20
villageidiot
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,528
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wirespokes View Post

I didn't chop up perfectly good cars and bikes in my youth, but I certainly didn't value what I had back then. I'd spend a bunch of time and money making them right and then sell or trade them for something else - usually for a lot less than I was into them.
Sounds like my business plan
villageidiot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2013, 02:03 AM   #21
motu
Loose Pre Unit

Oddometer: 4,432
Quote:
Originally Posted by Voltaire View Post
Over here in NZ VW buses from the 50's,60's and 70's are now worth huge money. They have the likes of me to thank for that
I just totally destroyed a few VW's in the early '70's, you could get them for peanuts, parts were cheap and cops weren't on a mission. My last '58 Bug I attacked with a gas axe and tinsnips to make a Baja, the Kombi ended up in Queen St on a saturday night with a thrown rod. In the early '70's a friend found a Kombi pickup at the rubbish dump, he used it for a couple of years....renamed Puff the Tragic Wagon.

It's strange how Airheads are so cheap these days, and some completely unremarkable 550cc 4 cyl Jap bike gets sold for 4 times it's real value.

With a change of job, the R65 is supposed to be on commuting duties - but I can't handle the cold so am using the car for this winter. Janola handguards are the next project.
motu is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2013, 03:28 AM   #22
Voltaire
Bored Of The Rings

[QUOTE=motu;21669432]

It's strange how Airheads are so cheap these days, and some completely unremarkable 550cc 4 cyl Jap bike gets sold for 4 times it's real value.
QUOTE]

and bent Norton Commandos even more....http://www.trademe.co.nz/motors/moto...-605077517.htm
Old 06-18-2013, 04:01 AM   #23
Padmei
enamoured

Oddometer: 3,565
i don't get why people like the R65. they seem really bland compared to the bigger bikes. The LS' look even worse - kinda buck rogers - no soul just strange angled plastic.
I don't reckon you could do anything but make it look better - how's that for positive
Padmei is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2013, 01:33 AM   #24
Wirespokes
Beemerholics Anonymous

Oddometer: 8,015
Quote:
Originally Posted by Padmei View Post
i don't get why people like the R65. they seem really bland compared to the bigger bikes.
Unless you've ridden one and experienced its strengths, it is difficult to understand why they're special.

I never used to care for the looks of the LS either - but it's grown on me. Besides that, it does a great job of diverting the wind off of me.

The R65 over here used to be really cheap and it wasn't at all difficult to find them for $1000 to $1500. In the last year or two they've gone up in price - now they're $2500 to $4000. I'd say they've bumped up a good thousand dollars and I'm not seeing the cheapies any more.
Old 06-20-2013, 08:10 AM   #25
swanker
Shadetree Tinkerer

Oddometer: 145

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zodiac View Post
Dude, lighten up.. I haven't seen anything posted that could be considered "insulting comments".

If you're going to show us all your build, or your ideas on custom bikes, be prepared for actual real and honest comments.

If you join in, you're opening your (bike) up to that. That's the game here, unless of course you want someplace where it's all saccharine coated ego injections, void of all criticism.

9 x out of 10 you'll get favorable comments anyway, but if you're showing us all "your work", cast away the thin skin.
swanker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2013, 11:18 AM   #26
BeardThrone
...in bat country.

Oddometer: 120
Motnz,

Just put people that don't offer much in the way of constructive feedback on your "Ignore" list. You might miss out on some good info but then again it will probably keep you from getting pissed off when they pick apart your build.

BT
BeardThrone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2013, 12:54 PM   #27
supershaft
because I can

Oddometer: 8,784
I put almost 50,000 miles on mine in stock condition. I never thought that much of the fairing. It never offered me any wind protection that I could tell. It's a miracle if the mounting tabs on the center piece don't break off. That and the bars are too narrow IMO. I took mine off and frame mounted a /6 headlight (a lot more light with the same bulb!) on mine using a RS fairing mount. At the time ('89), I had never seen anyone else do that. I mounted just the speedo front and center above the headlight and fabbed a cool little cover for it. It was at least a dozen years before I saw another bike using an RS/RT fairing mount like that. Then I mounted a National Cycle handlebar mounted windshield onto the headlight mount. That offered great wind protection and I could take it off and put it back on in minutes. It didn't effect handling at all and I think it increased top speed. My LS would pull a bit over 110mph. I have basically the same setup on my R100. The front end is so much easier to work on and setup. Improves handling too! Looks great to IMO but I do love the looks of things that WORK.

The seat cowling looks great IMO. Those LS wheels are my favorite. They look awesome and are super light. The front is a 2.15 too versus a 1.85. They are safety bead rims too. IMO, your nuts not converting them to tubeless. My dad and I converted mine before the very first test ride. My dad had seen enough of the bad things tubes can do on a motorcycle. Of course, those dual Brembo's up front are awesome.
supershaft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2013, 03:07 PM   #28
motnz OP
Adventurer

Oddometer: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by Padmei View Post
i don't get why people like the R65. they seem really bland compared to the bigger bikes. The LS' look even worse - kinda buck rogers - no soul just strange angled plastic.
I don't reckon you could do anything but make it look better - how's that for positive

Haha thanks. Sorry for my overreaction all, I had a shit week.

The R65 has its place in the line up and shouldn't really be compared to its bigger brothers in my opinion. It has a much smaller engine compared to the others and it is what it is. I have never been fond of the R65's either but I wanted an airhead and legally the R65 is all I ride for the time being. It has grown on me and I love it the more and more I ride it. I have ridden an R80, R90S a R100RS previously and I will start looking for a bigger bike at the end of the year.
motnz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2013, 03:14 PM   #29
motnz OP
Adventurer

Oddometer: 12
Update:

The Motogadget unit is in, wired up and working as it should. It took me a week or so of working on it when I could (sometimes for only 20 mins a day) but I finally got there and wow, I forget how beautiful they are. I'm used to seeing them on customers bikes, seeing one on my own everytime I look down is awesome.

I feel what I have done to date isn't too drastic and looks more like a R65 instead of the LS due to the obvious removal of the front fairing. I have kept all the parts needed to reinstate the bike back to its original glory if need be.

Here is a few pics.

So whats planned next?

I like the bike as it is at the moment now the fairing has gone. The next steps will probably consist of:

Repaint of the tank
General tidy up
Possibly new mufflers
motnz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2013, 04:34 PM   #30
Voltaire
Bored Of The Rings

Mine came with some R100 mufflers 'bodged on' , got a set of Norton Commando Peashooters and they gave it a real ( as in Norton) twin sound, and they slip straight on.
I have them on my race bike too....do they add power? who knows, but its been commented on as sounding 'awesome" from behind at full noise.
Since they now classified as learners bikes ( previously 250's) the prices seem to be on the rise.