Go Back   ADVrider > Gear > Equipment
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-29-2013, 04:54 PM   #196
kingby
Adventurer

Oddometer: 85
If this list is showing pending certifications (Veloce Jeans are listed on page 1) we should mention one of our own members here who has been working to get us a protective jean that meets certfication requirements, have passed and are pending the CE certification.

From his vendor post

http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=883171

Quote:
TESTING
We sent the jeans to TÜV Rheinland in Germany to test for Personal Protective Equipment for the CE Mark EN 13595-2 LEVEL 2 (abrasion, impact, burst tests) and we passed the tests , we are currently pending CE mark EN 13595-2.
kingby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2013, 06:22 PM   #197
AceRider01
Fully Loaded

Oddometer: 602
Quote:
Originally Posted by jjamarshall View Post
These guys are claiming their rev3 jeans are "made for EN 13595 & EN 13595-2". What the heck does that mean? Anybody familiar with them?

got a link ?

in the absence, i speculate- made of EN 13595 - probably means they think their product is so good that it would pass the test - but they havent submitted to the test - in the mean time they advise that to confuse people or to leave certain misleading impression that the products have passed the test. - pure marketing crap essentially.
AceRider01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2013, 07:11 PM   #198
ranmafan OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 141
Quote:
Originally Posted by jjamarshall View Post
These guys are claiming their rev3 jeans are "made for EN 13595 & EN 13595-2". What the heck does that mean? Anybody familiar with them?
It means "we no speak good English, but we write crap, anyway". Their website is so hilariously awful I don't even want to give them extra clicks by linking it here. Just search for "Rohk jeans".

(They probably just heard something about CE standards and thought it would make a great addition to the list of miracles their jeans are known for.)

Quote:
Originally Posted by kingby View Post
If this list is showing pending certifications (Veloce Jeans are listed on page 1) we should mention one of our own members here who has been working to get us a protective jean that meets certfication requirements, have passed and are pending the CE certification.

From his vendor post

http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=883171
Definitely should, thanks.

What they call "13595-2" should really be just "EN13595 Level 2", though. EN13595-2 is just instructions on how to test for abrasion resistance.

They also have a bunch more tests (restraint, ergonomics, etc.) to pass before actually getting the label. From the looks of it, "restraint" in particular could be an issue...
ranmafan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2013, 03:08 AM   #199
AceRider01
Fully Loaded

Quote:
Originally Posted by ranmafan View Post

They also have a bunch more tests (restraint, ergonomics, etc.) to pass before actually getting the label. From the looks of it, "restraint" in particular could be an issue...

I know in the case of Draggins C-EVO jeans - they use some crappy elastic bands which goes over your foot's arches and suppose to keep it from flying up - that's the restraint system
Old 05-30-2013, 04:50 AM   #200
ranmafan OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by AceRider01 View Post
I know in the case of Draggins C-EVO jeans - they use some crappy elastic bands which goes over your foot's arches and suppose to keep it from flying up - that's the restraint system
Yeah, the elastic bands on the C-EVO is the first thing that comes to mind. Since the whole idea is keeping the "jeans" look, it's hard to come up with anything better.

Well, I do hope they make it all the way through.
Old 06-18-2013, 03:12 AM   #201
Valentino
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 125
Thumb Draggin Holeshot jeans: CE Level 2

As well as the Bull-it VeloCE jeans (http://www.motolegends.com/trousers/...oce-jeans.html), now we have Draggin's new Holeshot jeans.

Draggin claims that its Holeshot jeans achieve CE Level 2 certification. Looks impressive.

Valentino screwed with this post 06-18-2013 at 10:38 PM
Valentino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2013, 05:34 AM   #202
AceRider01
Fully Loaded

interesting - any one got a pic link of the new "hotshoe"?

i wonder if there is any independent verification of Bull-it's claim that its linings wont degrade over time as significant as Kevlar or other "unobtainium" materials
Old 06-19-2013, 12:38 AM   #203
Valentino
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 125
August 2013 issue of Ride magazine in the UK

The August issue of Ride magazine has an article about the Draggin Holeshot jeans on page 12. However, there's no picture of the Holeshot jeans.

Page 12 of the magazine also has an article about new CE standards for armour. Ride magazine reports that a higher-but-optional Level 2 standard is to be introduced for elbow, shoulder, knee and hip armour. Armour that meets the optional Level 2 standard will be (almost) twice as good as the existing Level 1, in terms of impact protection.

Ride magazine also states: "There is a compulsory new element too: testing [armour] while wet, to ensure it still works in humid conditions. And there are two optional new impact tests, in high and low temperatures."
Valentino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2013, 01:43 AM   #204
ranmafan OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Valentino View Post
Draggin claims that its Holeshot jeans achieve CE Level 2 certification. Looks impressive.
Added.
Old 08-06-2013, 04:12 PM   #205
NewRiderLolo
n00b

Oddometer: 2
Talking Need the lot!

Hi,

I know this post will be relocated/have to be relocated, but the reason I am posting it here is because I'd want the input of people of exactly the people who create/extend/consult this list : those who put safety first and *ideally* get the highest certification/rating gear.

I am a new rider, so I need the whole lot. Jacket, Pants, Gloves, Boots, Helmet.
Now my little added tweak which makes me post instead of just picking an item from each of the list on this thread (the best source of info on this topic on the web), is that where I live (Western Australia), it gets hot. Like, *hot*. And keeping in mind that being very uncomfortable in your gear due to heat is possibly a source of danger, I need to balance top CE Rating with....Top ventilation. Which often seems to be in contradiction... Can you guys help?

- Jacket : I was thinking Scott Road Airflow, or Halvarason Safety Jacket (on its own? with a light mesh on top? any other suggestion
- Pants : I think I'll go for VoloCE or the new Holeshot (when they hit the shelves)
- Gloves : the few which are properly rated seem really hot...Dainese Crono? Halva SAfety Grip?....any other suggestion?...happy to drop the "Top CE Rating" as long as it is still a super safe glove, if it is nicely aerated.

Oh, for ref : I am not going to reach superspeeds on a track or do any offroad. Urban and WE trips down the highway and in the countryside. Bike is a W400.

Open to suggestions.

Thanks for your input. Now that relevant people have seen this, happy to move my post.:)
NewRiderLolo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2013, 06:10 PM   #206
ranmafan OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by NewRiderLolo View Post
I need to balance top CE Rating with....Top ventilation. Which often seems to be in contradiction... Can you guys help?
Mmm, somewhat offtopic, but...

I have the whole Halvy L1 jacket/pants/Safety Grip gloves set, and I've used it in 34C with fairly high humidity (quite far away from home, err) a number of times. It works just fine. Without the outer shells, it flows more than enough air - more than a lot of mesh jackets, probably.

At those temperatures sweat is your only cooling source, though. Bundling up is technically a better choice - I prefer to just drink more and stop more often.

By the way, glove ventilation is grossly overrated, IMHO. Maybe it's just me, but the Safety Grip bothers me no more than some summer perforated Icon gloves on hot days.
Old 08-06-2013, 07:25 PM   #207
AceRider01
Fully Loaded

Quote:
Hi,

I know this post will be relocated/have to be relocated, but the reason I am posting it here is because I'd want the input of people of exactly the people who create/extend/consult this list : those who put safety first and *ideally* get the highest certification/rating gear.

I am a new rider, so I need the whole lot. Jacket, Pants, Gloves, Boots, Helmet.
Now my little added tweak which makes me post instead of just picking an item from each of the list on this thread (the best source of info on this topic on the web), is that where I live (Western Australia), it gets hot. Like, *hot*. And keeping in mind that being very uncomfortable in your gear due to heat is possibly a source of danger, I need to balance top CE Rating with....Top ventilation. Which often seems to be in contradiction... Can you guys help?

Thanks for your input. Now that relevant people have seen this, happy to move my post.:)
While everyone's tolerance for heat is different and depending on your temp range you ride in, one thing that is on your side is that WA heat is usually dry heat with relatively low humidity. (compare to Brisbane at least)

Stop/Start commuting or low speed riding - any of the CE gear you mentioned would be uncomfortably hot. I normally ride with Lindstrand Wrap Jeans - Jeans with Halvassons Hi-art material in patches- its construction is a bit better than same offering by local Draggin, IMO- prices a bit cheaper too. For the top, you could wear Safety jacket on its own.

Hi speed touring in hot weather - yes safety suit perhaps with a wet shirt underneath or Veskimo.

Bull-It CE 2 VoloCE is ridiculous thick - think wear 2 to 3 layers thermals then normal jeans on top - its cut is not right for MC riding imo (i will be doing a proper review in a week's time) - you might as well a thick 1.3mm leather - it would be more comfortable.

Draggin's CE 1 jeans is thick (obviously) but a lot more comfortable and usable - should be okay for temp up to 25c easily, even at stop/ stop traffic

Riding during hot summer (especially at commuting speed) always calls a bit compromise in protective clothing. Accept that and chose a level you are comfortable at, you will be a lot happier.
Old 08-31-2013, 10:50 PM   #208
NewRiderLolo
n00b

Oddometer: 2
VeloCE

Hi,
For info : I tried a Bullit VeloCE...well, in a nutshell their solution to reach level 2 protection is making it twice (3 times?) thicker than their previous level 1!
Joke aside, it is really *really* thick...I didn't do the test, but I think it would stand on its own legs... great protection, but utterly unwearable in hot climates...I was sweating after 5 min wearing it in an air coned shop in London... says it all.
So still room for a new tech high abrasion resistance non leather product...
NewRiderLolo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2013, 11:59 AM   #209
istadniy
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 398
'bout Sidi boots - Sidi Vertigos don't have the EN 13634 label. Actually the only mention of any certification is the little "CE" mark.

PS I know, I know. Noob sandwiches, coming right up :)
istadniy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2013, 09:14 AM   #210
ranmafan OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
So still room for a new tech high abrasion resistance non leather product...
Halvarssons has a mesh-like L1 suit that almost passes L2 (and an abandoned L2 version). Surely, the idea isn't so unique that nobody else can expand on it...

Quote:
Originally Posted by istadniy View Post
'bout Sidi boots - Sidi Vertigos don't have the EN 13634 label. Actually the only mention of any certification is the little "CE" mark.
Do you mean that you have the boots and they only came with a CE mark, but no mention of EN 13634 in the booklets anywhere?