Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > The perfect line and other riding myths
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-17-2013, 02:37 PM   #16
Andyvh1959
Cheesehead Klompen

Oddometer: 630
Dirt riding I don't count crashes because of the highly variable nature of dirt riding, traction, terrain, mistakes, inability, etc.

Street riding, I guess I would count a "crash" as anytime the bike is not vertical and controlled and I am no longer connected to the bike. To that I count five times, two on my 74 Honda CB350F, three on my 94 BMW R1100RS (two low-sides, one the bike fell on me). When my 94 BMW fell on me it broke my left leg just above the ankle.

That 94 BMW is still my daily ride since Oct 94, now at 172,000 miles.

Been riding since 73, now 55 years old. Started riding at 14 years old.
Old 06-17-2013, 04:38 PM   #17
Zerk
DILLIGAF

Oddometer: 3,204
I have tipped my bike over tons of times. As far as physically when to stop, there are not really old guys who can't pick up there bike. Maybe that makes them stay out of tricky situations or pay more attention then me.

I am at one for this year. I had a 0 drop year once. Usually 1-3.

foreign lands and alien birds, hear stories that no ones heard-D.A.D.

Helmets are like rubbers, you know you should wear one, but its so much better when you don't-Me.
Zerk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2013, 05:07 PM   #18
viverrid
not dead yet

Oddometer: 30,482
Quote:
Originally Posted by corndog67 View Post
A while back, a guy mentioned he had crashed or dropped his bike, at least 1000 times.
Maybe that was me cuz I say that all the time. I estimate I have been down 1,000 times in the dirt based on how long I've been riding, and the approximate time between crashes when riding aggressively for the number of miles per day and the type of enduro terrain I rode in. Now that I'm older and ill, I ride much less dirt mileage in a day, and ride much less aggressively and more carefully. For the first time in my life, I actually ride dirt not to crash. I could have done that before but was more interested in riding a section a little faster, or riding a very challenging section at all.

I have never been down while in motion on a paved road. I have had a non-moving road bike tip over in a parking lot as I dismounted due to the side stand not being down all the way, and once inside a garage from having a brain fade and not having the stand down at all!
Advanced pancreatic cancer found 04/2010. Have outlived +/- 97% of patients with this diagnosis, but 08/2013 cancer now in liver, vascular system and lungs with 20+ lung tumors. Sick/weak sometimes, not riding much. No more treatments & now under Hospice care.
viverrid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2013, 05:19 PM   #19
390beretta
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,046
Like many, I don't count dirt riding drops. Several in the past 3 1/2 years while mainly off roading in the big horn mts. in Wy. and 7 months most recently in the Moab area. However, my last pavement drop happened when I was 17 or 18 yo on a triumph 350 courier bike. I was lifeguarding at the time in Ohio and on my way home. Dry pavement, I was riding a bit aggressively, it had rained earlier. I came to a stop sign, which had a still dripping tree in front of it, hit the brakes and lost the rear end (low side). Lesson learned.
Old 06-17-2013, 05:29 PM   #20
Snapper
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,476
Well here's a well represented poll on the subject:

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=103534
Old 06-17-2013, 05:35 PM   #21
Foot dragger
singletracker

Oddometer: 12,782
Ive always pushed it pretty good on dirtbikes,sliding is when its fun,slide the front,slide the back,slide both ends,pitch it in without shutting off when possible,even at 55 years old I try to hang with the youngsters or pass em.
I dont generally crash when sliding,I feel more secure when the tires are drifting so I dont have to wonder when they will break loose.

But I tip over on singletrack from time to time,usually just awkward tip overs,this last weekend I swear I saved 3 crashes in 2o feet before I stepped off in an off camber rutted turn full of sticks/rocks. Climbed to the high side of the bike and took off quick fanning the clutch like a fool.

Ive always had a street bike since about 1974 but once I figured out what not to do,no crashes there. Dirt riding skills save your life on the road no doubt about it.
Old 06-18-2013, 03:44 AM   #22
motu
Loose Pre Unit

Oddometer: 4,367
I thought I came off a lot on the street, but after 43 years I might've forgotten some...counting on my fingers I only get to 12...I thought it was more. Into the hundreds off road. Most on British bikes - steel levers, solid footpegs, very crashable...I have pounded footpegs back into line with a rock. Most at fastish around town speeds...fastest at 60mph when I put my 3 week old Yamaha into the side of a van, I'd had a bike to bike crash off road the first week. I can go out into the shed and still see the scars on my 1974 Stornello that I highsided in 1985 - dents in the tank from the forks, ball end off a lever, dented tail light, dented headlight rim, and it still has no instruments as I smashed the housing, rode it without instruments after that.

So what have I learned ? How to crash mainly, it's a skill learned by repetition. It becomes a slow motion thing...a different time, a different place. I remember crashing my 1961 Norton 600 Domi on the way to work on my 26th birthday - as I peeled into a 50mph corner I saw my mirror shatter and twinkle onto the road...''Oh, that's strange, I thought, I wonder if I've just gone down?'' Next I feel a thud and a rumble though the bars...''Yep, looks like she's down.'' I had enough time to react, push away from the bike and get a good slide into the curb. When I went to pick up my bike, another rider was already picking it up for me. He'd been coming the other way, had enough time to stop, get off his bike, get across the road and pick up my bike before I got there. I remember the rivets from my Levis burning into my hip, big graze on my belt, no damage to me, got on my bike and carried onto work. Straightened the footpeg at lunchtime.

I haven't crashed on the road since 1990, bikes don't crash well these days, and I hate fixing that stuff. I'm not a squid, just someone who thinks you don't know where the limit is until you can look at it from the otherside. Was I stupid, was I lucky ? Maybe, but you make your own luck, it's not given.
motu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2013, 05:21 AM   #23
NJ-Brett
Brett

Oddometer: 6,291
Sounds a lot like me, and yes, the old bikes did crash VERY well.
I can not remember breaking anything in many crashes.
Bent lots of stuff up, but never broke anything that I can remember.

And I did get very good at falling, since I did it a lot and rarely got hurt.
But I discovered bones break easy when you get older, and maybe in-crash reaction times get a little slower....

NJ-Brett screwed with this post 06-18-2013 at 06:19 PM
NJ-Brett is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2013, 05:57 AM   #24
BanjoBoy
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 874
If yer not crash'in, yer not ride'in!

Back in the dark 'ole dayz of bias plied tires, fish oil suspensions, 'n the dreaded drum brakes, I used ta low side frequently; I may have bailed as many as 20 times on the street? Maybe triple that fer the dirt? 1,000 git offs iz quite impressive!
I haven't bailed on the street on radials; yet. Recon I better try harder!
Old 06-18-2013, 07:29 AM   #25
Krono
Speed Junkie

Oddometer: 193
How many ... ?

Once only may be too much, obviously, but I was lucky on this one : I front smacked a car in a blind corner (HE "shorted" in the left lane) quite fast. Hopefully i was riding an enduro bike high enough, and made a big air over the roof of the car. Bike and car totalled ... but no injuries at all.

That day, I remember I didn't wanted at all to go where I had to (exams...). Interesting, isn't it ?

Only one incident here for 40 years ... and since I keep my mind up and positive when riding.

L

Krono screwed with this post 06-18-2013 at 08:18 AM
Krono is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2013, 12:19 PM   #26
O.C.F.RIDER
Loose nut behind h/bars

Oddometer: 4,860
Well, started this game in 1967 at age 8.
Like most others that have been riding & racing in the dirt I could never even begin to count how many times I've eaten dirt.
Street, unfortunately for me my latest one was just this past Saturday on my 2003 ZRX 1200 being a complete & total ASSHOLE. I was just going to go for a easy ride down my most favorite road to see how my throttle sync. worked. The sync worked perfect.
Problem was the jerk-off behind the bars.
I was almost to the other end of this 10 miles of curvy bliss that I ride almost every day, and I see three sporty bikes going the other way at an OK pace. I don't have to tell you what I did.
After passing the 3 of 'em showing them who had the biggest dick, I then showed them I was a dick. I hit a patch of sand in a right-hander where I have NEVER encountered sand before, at full lean, around 100 mph.
The good news here is that I have FINALLY learned a lesson.
Almost nobody just walks away from a crash on a little 2-laner in the woods at those kind of speeds. It happens, sure, but not often. All I got was some nasty road rash where my (stupidly) BDU clad leg got caught under the quickly sliding ZRX, some more where I wore through the (once) nice Vanson jacket at the elbow, some where the (very good) gloves twisted just a hair so that the heavy padding was exactly just past where I needed it, black ass cheek, & sore all over. Destroyed a 2 week old Arai.
Before the other guy's were even off their bikes I was up and like.........................WTF?????? What made me crash??? Well, I found out. Ego+stupid+big speed+sand=hurt rider & pretty used looking ZRX.
I've had other crashes on the street with only one way back in 1980, and one in 2006 on my KTM 950, being caused by the rider-ME. All the others had liquids from other vehicles, or once, avoiding a DUMP TRUCK on my side of the road coming around a blind turn.
Road-racing meant quite a few get-offs because I wanted only one trophy.............1st.
Anywho, I'm now a reformed rider because as stupid as I was on Saturday morning past, I'm smart enough to know that I've probably used up most of my luck. I love my wife too much! And my friends, and my pets. I have a very good life. It's not like I'm going to stop riding, or even riding at a "brisk" pace, but the stupid fast race track speed stuff on the road is officially OVER. I'll be saving to 90 to 95% kind of riding for the woods
I'm grateful to be alive to type this shit!

Ride On!
Chris

PS...I think I came off around 9 or 10 times on the street. Race-track....uh, a few more.
'75 Kawi 900 Z1...'90 Kawi ZX11...'03 Kawi ZRX 1200...'01 VOR 400E

O.C.F.RIDER screwed with this post 06-18-2013 at 12:25 PM
O.C.F.RIDER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2013, 12:37 PM   #27
viverrid
not dead yet

Quote:
Originally Posted by BanjoBoy View Post
....bias plied tires, fish oil suspensions, 'n the dreaded drum brakes,
I remember changing out fork oil in the early 70s, and how bad it stunk. Black oil and smelled like fish. My bike had scored fork tubes from some coarse sand getting caught under the fork seals. Constant pumping slow leak on both sides. I switched to ATF so that the blowback on the bike and me didn't smell so bad. Couldn't afford fork tubes and no point trying to put new seals on scored tubes, so I just kept putting more oil in the forks.
Advanced pancreatic cancer found 04/2010. Have outlived +/- 97% of patients with this diagnosis, but 08/2013 cancer now in liver, vascular system and lungs with 20+ lung tumors. Sick/weak sometimes, not riding much. No more treatments & now under Hospice care.
Old 06-18-2013, 12:47 PM   #28
viverrid
not dead yet

Quote:
Originally Posted by BanjoBoy View Post
....I may have bailed as many as 20 times on the street? Maybe triple that fer the dirt? 1,000 git offs iz quite impressive!
In the rocky, muddy, rooty enduro-type trails that we have here, a full day of trail riding would be maybe 50 to 80 miles. Enduro "key pace" around here is usually either 24 or 18 MPH and only the top "A" level riders can maintain that for an entire day's event and not fall far off the pace. Often in both "B" and "C" classes, nobody finishes before they "hour out" and the person who got to the farthest checkpoint gets the win. For "C" we usually have a shortened course as we know they won't make it all the way.

Riding in that kind of stuff, one or two drops per day can be quite normal. And I used to ride three times per week! Though not all day all three times. And only in the May to October riding season. Anyway, do the math, not hard to get up to 1,000 get-offs that way.

Enduro-type riding is a sport like skiing, at similar speeds. And if you do it aggressively to challenge the terrain, rather than carefully so as not to fall, sometimes you do fall.

viverrid screwed with this post 06-25-2013 at 12:16 AM
Old 06-18-2013, 05:39 PM   #29
Import
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 281
Three and counting on pavement...... (been super lucky to date)..and too many to count on dirt, 10 times on one ride a few years ago..... I noticed that as the day wore on and I got more tired, I was reacting too slowly to changes in balance........ And down I went... Bent every corner of he bike.. ( klx650 )... Really hoping not to drop the gs.... It's to bloody heavy.
Import is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2013, 05:46 PM   #30
fallingoff
Banned

Oddometer: 3,677
Quote:
Originally Posted by corndog67 View Post
So, how many is too many?

A while back, a guy mentioned he had crashed or dropped his bike, at least 1000 times.

In the dirt, I've probably crashed 100 times, more or less. On the street, once in 1979. Riding since 1971 or so. I think, if I would have crashed 1000 times on the street, besides not being able to afford new levers and bars every month, I probably would have given up years ago.

So how many is too many? When you can't afford the hospital bills or insurance premiums any more? When you physically can't pick it up any more? When you need to buy a 3 wheeler? When do you hang it up?
don't know

in the 70's when I was young and stupid

instead of now just stupid, lol

anyway under the influence

heaps but no pain till later

now with road bikes, just falling over a couple of times

but on the dirt, plenty

last weekend one nasty stack and couple of little ones

hence the name fallingoff,

lol

cheers
fallingoff is offline   Reply With Quote