ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Layin' down tracks
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 25 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 06-18-2013, 01:02 AM   #46
JR356
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,543
Quote:
Originally Posted by DRTBYK View Post
I used the RAM mount for my inReach for Smartphone and it needed no modification to accept the 12vdc Power Adapter.
Good news!

JR356
JR356 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2013, 07:31 AM   #47
DRTBYK
Long Haul Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,206
Quote:
Originally Posted by JR356 View Post
Did not have tankbag with me,was just an experiment.
If it worked in the cases,it would be a more secure way to carry expensive electronic gear.The panniers are always on the bike,the tankbag,less so.

As I said in my post,I'm aware of signal requirements with these devices,having owned two previous SPOTS.

What is interesting to me,is that I can get great transmission thru the aluminum plate in the tankbag and several layers of maps and the map case,but the slightly thicker aluminum and powder coating of the panniers will not allow the transmission.

Anyone know if powder coating affects electronics transmission/reception?

JR356
These transmissions "bounce" all around us - the are not just line-of-sight. So, just having the aluminum above the unit will not necessarily stop all RF from reaching the antenna. Putting it in a closed box will. I send test messages frequently from inside my office at home - I have a heavy tile roof and stucco walls (wire mesh inside).

To answer your question, paint will have no effect unless it has metal powder in the paint. There are RF attenuating paints but they are expensive and don't work all that well.

Dan
All Things GPS
Reviews at www.GlobeRiders.com
DRTBYK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2013, 01:41 PM   #48
DRTBYK
Long Haul Adventurer

RAM Mount for SE

I see that DeLorme has the RAM mount kit available for Pre-order. No sign of a powered mount yet - not that you really need it given the battery life on the SE.

Dan
All Things GPS
Old 06-18-2013, 01:46 PM   #49
OneEffinName
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 462
Any of you have both and InReach and a Spot? Ever use the tracking feature with both at the same time - same trip? I am curious about "actual" effectiveness of them transmitting tracking signals.
OneEffinName is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2013, 02:09 PM   #50
El Gato
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 650
Quote:
Originally Posted by OneEffinName View Post
Any of you have both and InReach and a Spot? Ever use the tracking feature with both at the same time - same trip? I am curious about "actual" effectiveness of them transmitting tracking signals.
I have a Gen1 Spot that I've been using for the last several years. OK messages have generally worked OK when I'm not moving, but the tracking feature is unreliable (to be kind). I might get 3 tracking points out over a 150 mile ride if I'm riding in the Santa Cruz mountains. DeLorme just e-mailed me yesterday to indicate that my InReach SE just shipped, so I plan to do a side-by-side comparison of trh tracking capability once it arrives (and then promptly sell the POS Spot).
Old 06-18-2013, 04:15 PM   #51
OneEffinName
Gnarly Adventurer

I know the Spot II's tracking is quite improved over the Spot I, because it has a new algorithm that transmits the past three track points each time it ping the satellites. I am always impressed with how well it works in the tree cover of the PNW.

I just wonder if Inreach has the same kind of algorithm. Or does it just wait until it gets a sat signal and transmits at that time.

I am tempted to buy one just to see how they compare side to side.

If I went for the Inreach SE, I would end up getting rid of my sat phone. Which means I would totally rely on text messaging. Hmmm. It half the price of the sat phone subscrption though.
Old 06-18-2013, 04:26 PM   #52
DRTBYK
Long Haul Adventurer

Quote:

Well, I've done a fair amount of travel with both SPOT (I,II & Connect) and the inReach for Smartphone - just not at the same time. I chose the inReach over the SPOT(s) because they [all] lost tracking and depending upon where I was in the world, at times I couldn't get any signal through.

I've never had a failed tracking signal with the inReach in over 20,000 miles.

But, you want a side-by-side track plot. What will that tell you about the two devices/services?

Dan
All Things GPS
Old 06-18-2013, 06:32 PM   #53
OneEffinName
Gnarly Adventurer

I ride 95% offroad. In a lot of bush and trees. The Spot II works pretty darn fine - which I was quite surprised since it uses Globalstar and non-confirmed messages. I am sure this is due to the SPOT II algorithm.

At one time I did own an InReach (when they first came out). I was quite dissappointed with the tracking (and other things). It could not handle tree cover as well as the SPOT II. I am just wondering if InReach has been improved since its introduction. I would expect any updates would also be applied to the InReach SE.

By having them both side by side on the same trip will subject them to the same test criteria (it is the basis for scientific comparison). See how many points they drop.
Old 06-18-2013, 07:11 PM   #54
artimishoke
Adventurer

Oddometer: 14
Quote:
I ride 95% offroad. In a lot of bush and trees. The Spot II works pretty darn fine - which I was quite surprised since it uses Globalstar and non-confirmed messages. I am sure this is due to the SPOT II algorithm.

At one time I did own an InReach (when they first came out). I was quite dissappointed with the tracking (and other things). It could not handle tree cover as well as the SPOT II. I am just wondering if InReach has been improved since its introduction. I would expect any updates would also be applied to the InReach SE.

By having them both side by side on the same trip will subject them to the same test criteria (it is the basis for scientific comparison). See how many points they drop.
At work we tested the inReach (not the SE) side by side with the Spot 2. The inReach was noticeably more accurate. This was tested in open and heavily wooded terrain over a week long period on foot, in vehicles and in a plane. I have reviewed the data a few times before taking on the inReach SE testing. We were so sure of the Delorme device that we are not going to run it against the Spot 2. We will wait for the Spot 3 to drop and then might run it up against the SE.
Old 06-20-2013, 12:49 AM   #55
Dirt2Oil
Adventurer

Oddometer: 118
Anyone receive one of these units from GPScity yet, or did everyone who received theirs order directly from Delorme? . I preordered with gpscity April 10th and still waiting.

Insanity is hereditary; you get it from your children. ~Sam Levenson
Dirt2Oil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2013, 02:15 PM   #56
OneEffinName
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by artimishoke View Post
At work we tested the inReach (not the SE) side by side with the Spot 2. The inReach was noticeably more accurate. This was tested in open and heavily wooded terrain over a week long period on foot, in vehicles and in a plane. I have reviewed the data a few times before taking on the inReach SE testing. We were so sure of the Delorme device that we are not going to run it against the Spot 2. We will wait for the Spot 3 to drop and then might run it up against the SE.
Very good! Thanks for the detailed information.

I am struggling if I want to give up my Sat Phone & SPOT II for the Inreach SE. The per month cost of the phone/spot is about twice that of the InReach, but it sure is nice to have voice.
Old 06-20-2013, 05:37 PM   #57
lm002e
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 288
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dirt2Oil View Post
Anyone receive one of these units from GPScity yet, or did everyone who received theirs order directly from Delorme? . I preordered with gpscity April 10th and still waiting.
I originally ordered from GPScity but then canceled my order when they kept pushing the delivery date back. I ended up ordering from Cabelas.com because they actually had the units in stock and I leave on a month long trip in 2 weeks. Downside: I had to pay sales tax. Upside: I received my InReach SE today. Which brings me to a question:

So I set up the device today, set up all the stuff on the mapshare website, fired it up and went for about a 20-30 min ride. The tracking ended up just showing a straight line between where I started and where I finished. I had the interval set to 10 min. How do I make the device show a trail of breadcrumbs so friends and family can follow my tracks? Thanks

Luke
2010 KTM 690 Enduro R
2010 KTM 530 XC-W Six Days
lm002e is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2013, 10:38 AM   #58
Rally_West
Central Scrutinizer

Oddometer: 142
Quote:
Originally Posted by lm002e View Post
So I set up the device today, set up all the stuff on the mapshare website, fired it up and went for about a 20-30 min ride. The tracking ended up just showing a straight line between where I started and where I finished. I had the interval set to 10 min. How do I make the device show a trail of breadcrumbs so friends and family can follow my tracks? Thanks

Luke
Decrease tracking time. A 20 minute ride with 10 minute track points will only have 2 points...and two points define a line. So, you could keep 10 minute intervals and on a month ride it will not look like a straight line, or decrease the interval. NOTE: I do not own one of these, but I plan to and I hope I have this tip correct.
Old 06-21-2013, 10:58 AM   #59
DRTBYK
Long Haul Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rally_West View Post
Decrease tracking time. A 20 minute ride with 10 minute track points will only have 2 points...and two points define a line. So, you could keep 10 minute intervals and on a month ride it will not look like a straight line, or decrease the interval. NOTE: I do not own one of these, but I plan to and I hope I have this tip correct.
The smallest Tracking interval is 10min. But your assessment of Im002e's observation is correct. Net, go for a longer ride.

Dan
All Things GPS
Old 06-21-2013, 11:43 AM   #60
lm002e
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 288
This had also occurred to me but I thought I remember the SPOT device giving a more fluid track of one's route. Anybody know what the shortest interval on the spot is?
2010 KTM 690 Enduro R
2010 KTM 530 XC-W Six Days
lm002e is offline   Reply With Quote