Go Back   ADVrider > Gear > Equipment
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-18-2013, 06:38 AM   #2581
texas_aggie
Adventurer

Oddometer: 53
Quick question on one of my units. When I turn it on, it blinks blue once, then red four times, then blue normally. It also has such a low volume level I can barely hear it at full volume. I just charged the battery yet the problem persists. Any ideas?
texas_aggie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2013, 06:43 AM   #2582
danham
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 268
From page 10 of the manual:

4.5.1 LED Indicator
When the headset is powering on, the red LED flashes rapidly indicating the battery level.
4 flashes = High, 70~100%
3 flashes = Medium, 30~70% 2 flashes = Low, 0~30%

Did the volume problem just show up, or has it been constant? Usual problem is speaker placement. Small changes in location relative to your ears make a big difference. Could your speakers have moved? Your ears [g]?

-dan
Old 06-18-2013, 06:46 AM   #2583
BlueLghtning
Riding is my passion

Oddometer: 4,890
Quote:
Originally Posted by texas_aggie View Post
Quick question on one of my units. When I turn it on, it blinks blue once, then red four times, then blue normally. It also has such a low volume level I can barely hear it at full volume. I just charged the battery yet the problem persists. Any ideas?
The blinking light sequence is normal. The 4 red lights tell you it has 70% or more of battery power.

What are you having trouble hearing? Intercom, phone, music? When you turn the volume up on the Sena (while its on your head you are turning it towards the back of your head), can you hear the beep that tells you you are maxed out on the volume? Can you hear the beep when you go the other way all the way to low volume?

Have you recently changed the speaker setup or anything on this helmet? I'm guessing you had no trouble before hearing? Speaker placement is critical and stuffing them behind cheek pads away from your ear can really lower the volume.

Final suggestion. Go into the config menu (hold down jog dial for 12 seconds) and erase all the pairings and start over and maybe do a factory reset too?
Smugmug Pics - Save $5 <-- Click Here

BlueLghtning screwed with this post 06-18-2013 at 10:41 AM
BlueLghtning is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2013, 09:13 AM   #2584
AlecMyrddyn
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 215
Quote:
Originally Posted by texas_aggie View Post
You say "one of your units". You have more than one?

If you swap the unit from helmet to helmet, does the quiet volume stay with SMH-10 unit itself, or with the helmet? That'll tell you if the problem is in the unit itself, or with the mount or speakers.

If the unit itself, try factory reset and a firmware upgrade again. Make sure you are running the latest copy of the updater and firmware. If that fails, contact Sena support for a replacement unit.

If the low volume follows the helmet, has it always been this way, or is this new? As others have already said, speaker placement is key. They should be centered over your ear canals. If this is a recent change and it worked fine before, the speakers, clamp or wiring may have been damaged somehow and you should call Sena for a replacement if under warranty.

Finally, remember that the Sena remembers different volume levels based on the activity. When you turn it on, before using the intercom or phone/music, turn the volume up until it beeps.

Hope that helps.

-Alec
AlecMyrddyn is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2013, 10:19 AM   #2585
Nitro1970
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 191
The volume on your phone turned up?
Nitro1970 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2013, 07:38 AM   #2586
obnoxious2
Adventurer

Oddometer: 36
I've noticed an occasional random sonic boom sound coming out of the smh10 speakers. I'm not sure if it's the speakers or the main unit itself that is causing it. It's completely random and it's pretty loud and annoying. It doesn't matter if I'm on the intercom with another smh10 or playing music thru A2DP to an iphone. I've sent an email out to Sena but was just wondering if anyone else has experienced this?
obnoxious2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2013, 08:27 PM   #2587
Boon Booni
Red Clay Halo

Oddometer: 13,224
Dang it, noticed today that my clamp is cracked. Looks like I installed the Allen bolts too tight? Don't know how long it's been cracked, but it's been installed for at least 8 months.
Where the fuck is the road?
Boon Booni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2013, 06:13 AM   #2588
Nitro1970
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 191
Mine started acting up a little a couple of days ago. When I'm going to make a call the music will die down, I speak the name of the person I want to call, phone confirms its calling, starts ringing and the music starts creeping back in. Even when/if they answer the music is going... I can hear them ok but it's sure annoying.
Nitro1970 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2013, 06:42 AM   #2589
El Gato
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 649
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boon Booni View Post
Dang it, noticed today that my clamp is cracked. Looks like I installed the Allen bolts too tight? Don't know how long it's been cracked, but it's been installed for at least 8 months.
Give Sena a call. They were good about RMA'ing my clamp when the earbud pigtail broke (again).
Old 06-28-2013, 07:05 AM   #2590
John Smallberries
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,247
ditto

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nitro1970 View Post
Mine started acting up a little a couple of days ago. When I'm going to make a call the music will die down, I speak the name of the person I want to call, phone confirms its calling, starts ringing and the music starts creeping back in. Even when/if they answer the music is going... I can hear them ok but it's sure annoying.
I have the same problem on some calls - the music volume reduces during the call, but does not go to zero. But not all calls.....

I will check to see if there is any new software to download.
John Smallberries is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2013, 03:36 PM   #2591
sonic578
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 725
Sena just announced the combo clamp for SMH10... earbuds AND speakers all in 1.

http://www.senabluetooth.com/products/acc_SMH-A0305.php

Available mid-July, but no pricing yet as far as I know?
Old 07-01-2013, 03:45 PM   #2592
lmychajluk
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,685
Quote:
Originally Posted by sonic578 View Post
Sena just announced the combo clamp for SMH10... earbuds AND speakers all in 1.

http://www.senabluetooth.com/products/acc_SMH-A0305.php

Available mid-July, but no pricing yet as far as I know?
Judging by the pic and the connectors, it seems to be more for earbuds OR speakers, not AND.
lmychajluk is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2013, 04:49 PM   #2593
rush2112_2112
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 165
That's a lot of wire hanging.

Sent from my LG Optimus G
Old 07-01-2013, 04:56 PM   #2594
Boon Booni
Red Clay Halo

Oddometer: 13,224
Quote:
Originally Posted by lmychajluk View Post
Judging by the pic and the connectors, it seems to be more for earbuds OR speakers, not AND.
Just install the speakers in the helmet and tuck the wire up when you are not using it.

Not the cleanest solution, but usable. A better solution would be to switch to helmet speakers automatically when the ear buds are unplugged.

The problem I found with that (because I made this mod on my original clamp) was that when switching back to earbuds I had to be careful to turn down the volume before making calls and listening to music. More than once I almost blew my eardrums out because of the high volume needed for the helmet speakers.

I actually found keeping the volume adjusted correctly when switching back and forth between helmet speaks and earbuds was too much of a pain and ditched the helmet speakers all together.
Where the fuck is the road?
Boon Booni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2013, 04:56 PM   #2595
ts3doug
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 778
Quote:
Originally Posted by rush2112_2112 View Post
That's a lot of wire hanging.

Sent from my LG Optimus G

ts3doug is online now   Reply With Quote