ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Orange Crush
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 06-13-2013, 08:12 PM   #151
dwj - Donnie OP
Beastly Adventurer
 
dwj - Donnie's Avatar
 
Joined: Apr 2006
Location: Traveling on the Moto or Escuitla, Chiapas, Mexico
Oddometer: 13,243
Quote:
Originally Posted by DesertSurfer View Post
You're really doing your bike right!!!

You're gonna have a great trip and will be extremely well prepared.

You should definitely go with the CJ hardened waterpump shaft and impeller upgrade kit... Others like AdvMachines can get it for you if CJ is still moving his shop.

Great job sticking with your tubeless rear conversion. That's a great choice (your persistence taught me I panicked too soon on my first try. I'll give that a second try after I wear down my rear shoe ).

You've mentioned nothing about camping gear. Wondering what your preferences are here?

Cheers...


I have already started the trip. I am in Dallas, TX now and will be in Laredo tomorrow and will cross into Mexico Saturday. The other stuff on my list will have to wait till I get home.

I have never camped in Mexico, I have taken stuff, but never camped. When I camp in the states and Canada. I use a good quality two person tent that weighs about two pounds, a Big Agnes sleeping pad and a 20 degree mummy bag.

I carry a kit with me all the time for coffee, ramen noodles and oatmeal. I used it for supper tonight in the hotel. I like having the option of not going out for a meal if I don't want to. When I am using hotels, I carry an electric one quart pot, when I am camping, I carry a Coleman single burner stove that will operate on gasoline from the moto.
dwj - Donnie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2013, 08:41 AM   #152
DesertSurfer
Tail sprayin
 
DesertSurfer's Avatar
 
Joined: Feb 2009
Location: City of the Angels
Oddometer: 1,257
Good luck and safe travels...

Thanks for the updates on the road. Enjoy you're awesome Adventure!!!
__________________
'"This whole memory lapse is gett'in to me. Hopefully I think I'll outgrow it."
DesertSurfer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2013, 09:17 AM   #153
Trail bandit
Random adventurer
 
Joined: May 2012
Location: Flatistan Nebraska and Melbourne, Australia
Oddometer: 203
Quote:
Originally Posted by DesertSurfer View Post
You're really doing your bike right!!!

You're gonna have a great trip and will be extremely well prepared.

You should definitely go with the CJ hardened waterpump shaft and impeller upgrade kit... Others like AdvMachines can get it for you if CJ is still moving his shop....
I went with the OEM kit before noticing the CJ offer. However, OEM was a black shaft unlike the steel color shaft I pulled out. Seems there is some chance they've upgraded the hardening. Mine at 25k miles was ready to let go. Deep groove in shaft pretty much in line with what pyndon was showing in his repair info.
Trail bandit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2013, 06:13 PM   #154
dwj - Donnie OP
Beastly Adventurer
 
dwj - Donnie's Avatar
 
Joined: Apr 2006
Location: Traveling on the Moto or Escuitla, Chiapas, Mexico
Oddometer: 13,243
Quote:
Originally Posted by DesertSurfer View Post
Thanks for the updates on the road. Enjoy you're awesome Adventure!!!
Thanks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trail bandit View Post
I went with the OEM kit before noticing the CJ offer. However, OEM was a black shaft unlike the steel color shaft I pulled out. Seems there is some chance they've upgraded the hardening. Mine at 25k miles was ready to let go. Deep groove in shaft pretty much in line with what pyndon was showing in his repair info.
In am going to get one of those kits when I get home. I see that he has the long shaft and the short shaft. Which is better or are they for different years or what? I don't know if I will replace mine as PM or wait for it to start leaking.

Another day and 500 miles without losing any air in my sealed rear tire, except for a little being fumbled fingered getting the gauge on the stem!
dwj - Donnie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2013, 07:17 PM   #155
DesertSurfer
Tail sprayin
 
DesertSurfer's Avatar
 
Joined: Feb 2009
Location: City of the Angels
Oddometer: 1,257
My intuition served me right...

Quote:
Originally Posted by dwj - Donnie View Post
Thanks!

In am going to get one of those kits when I get home. I see that he has the long shaft and the short shaft. Which is better or are they for different years or what? I don't know if I will replace mine as PM or wait for it to start leaking.

Another day and 500 miles without losing any air in my sealed rear tire, except for a little being fumbled fingered getting the gauge on the stem!
This is gonna be a valuable follow.
__________________
'"This whole memory lapse is gett'in to me. Hopefully I think I'll outgrow it."
DesertSurfer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2013, 03:14 AM   #156
gefr
Life is a trip
 
gefr's Avatar
 
Joined: Nov 2005
Location: East Med, Greece
Oddometer: 3,756
Quote:
Originally Posted by dwj - Donnie View Post
I see that he has the long shaft and the short shaft. Which is better or are they for different years or what? I don't know if I will replace mine as PM or wait for it to start leaking.
The longer shaft is meant to work on the 2009 bikes onwards and matches the new impeller, but can be mounted on the pre '09 as well.
Cheers.
gefr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2013, 05:27 AM   #157
Trail bandit
Random adventurer
 
Joined: May 2012
Location: Flatistan Nebraska and Melbourne, Australia
Oddometer: 203
Quote:
Originally Posted by dwj - Donnie View Post
Thanks!
In am going to get one of those kits when I get home. I see that he has the long shaft and the short shaft. Which is better or are they for different years or what? I don't know if I will replace mine as PM or wait for it to start leaking !
You have the round metal oil filter so a water leak/ paper oil filter failure will not happen?

Also, water in the oil? Not ideal!

Also...... Failure could be serious enough to have you twiddling thumbs waiting on a kit to arrive. I read somewhere here? about a guy gouging out the seal and replacing in his hotel room as a temporary solution.

Also...one here gone at 9,000 miles.

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=373883

Maybe get a kit sent ahead just in case
Trail bandit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2013, 06:37 PM   #158
dwj - Donnie OP
Beastly Adventurer
 
dwj - Donnie's Avatar
 
Joined: Apr 2006
Location: Traveling on the Moto or Escuitla, Chiapas, Mexico
Oddometer: 13,243
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trail bandit View Post
You have the round metal oil filter so a water leak/ paper oil filter failure will not happen?

Also, water in the oil? Not ideal!

Also...... Failure could be serious enough to have you twiddling thumbs waiting on a kit to arrive. I read somewhere here? about a guy gouging out the seal and replacing in his hotel room as a temporary solution.

Also...one here gone at 9,000 miles.

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=373883

Maybe get a kit sent ahead just in case

If my KTM proves to be that unreliable, I will get rid of it and buy something else. I will make some allowances as it ages and do not expect perfection, but if this "tool" is not up to what I need, it will be replaced. I don't plan on rebuilding or replacing nothing every 9,000 miles except oil. I like my KTM, but first and foremostt it is only a means to what I enjoy, nothing more.
dwj - Donnie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2013, 05:26 AM   #159
Trail bandit
Random adventurer
 
Joined: May 2012
Location: Flatistan Nebraska and Melbourne, Australia
Oddometer: 203
Quote:
Originally Posted by dwj - Donnie View Post
If my KTM proves to be that unreliable, I will get rid of it and buy something else. I will make some allowances as it ages and do not expect perfection, but if this "tool" is not up to what I need, it will be replaced. I don't plan on rebuilding or replacing nothing every 9,000 miles except oil. I like my KTM, but first and foremostt it is only a means to what I enjoy, nothing more.
Can't judge the whole bike on one little shaft. Get the CJ one and don't think about it again.
Trail bandit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2013, 07:03 PM   #160
dwj - Donnie OP
Beastly Adventurer
 
dwj - Donnie's Avatar
 
Joined: Apr 2006
Location: Traveling on the Moto or Escuitla, Chiapas, Mexico
Oddometer: 13,243
Looks like my trip will be substantially altered. I just found out that my 86 year old father was diagnosed with brain cancer today. I am currently almost to the southern most end of Mexico, about 2,000 miles from home. I will sit tight for a day or so. BTW, my late wife's birthday was today and yesterday was the two year anniversary of her death.
dwj - Donnie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2013, 08:18 PM   #161
salvadorfrieri
Gnarly Adventurer
 
salvadorfrieri's Avatar
 
Joined: Apr 2010
Location: Bogotá, Colombia
Oddometer: 121
I've been reading your posts (learning a lot) and this latest one made me very sad. Our thoughts are with you.
salvadorfrieri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2013, 08:38 PM   #162
nwkshusker
Adventurer
 
Joined: Jul 2011
Location: Hays Kansas
Oddometer: 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by dwj - Donnie View Post
Looks like my trip will be substantially altered. I just found out that my 86 year old father was diagnosed with brain cancer today. I am currently almost to the southern most end of Mexico, about 2,000 miles from home. I will sit tight for a day or so. BTW, my late wife's birthday was today and yesterday was the two year anniversary of her death.

Thinking of you Donnie, hope things work out with your dad and I know the anniversaries can be hard, but you are doing what your wife would have wanted and that is to move on. Prayers for ya!!
nwkshusker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2013, 04:44 AM   #163
Trail bandit
Random adventurer
 
Joined: May 2012
Location: Flatistan Nebraska and Melbourne, Australia
Oddometer: 203
Quote:
Originally Posted by dwj - Donnie View Post
Looks like my trip will be substantially altered. I just found out that my 86 year old father was diagnosed with brain cancer today. I am currently almost to the southern most end of Mexico, about 2,000 miles from home. I will sit tight for a day or so. BTW, my late wife's birthday was today and yesterday was the two year anniversary of her death.
Yes, I've been enjoying going along for the ride with lots of learning as well.

Very sorry to learn of your fathers illness.

Our thoughts are with you.
Trail bandit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2013, 06:52 AM   #164
dwj - Donnie OP
Beastly Adventurer
 
dwj - Donnie's Avatar
 
Joined: Apr 2006
Location: Traveling on the Moto or Escuitla, Chiapas, Mexico
Oddometer: 13,243
Quote:
Originally Posted by salvadorfrieri View Post
I've been reading your posts (learning a lot) and this latest one made me very sad. Our thoughts are with you.
Quote:
Originally Posted by nwkshusker View Post
Thinking of you Donnie, hope things work out with your dad and I know the anniversaries can be hard, but you are doing what your wife would have wanted and that is to move on. Prayers for ya!!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trail bandit View Post
Yes, I've been enjoying going along for the ride with lots of learning as well.

Very sorry to learn of your fathers illness.

Our thoughts are with you.

Thanks to you all! At 86, we knew it was just a matter of time with my father, but did not expect cancer in his brain! I am now in south Mexico, awaiting a estimation of what time my father may have left. I am getting rested up and my batteries recharged for the 2,200 mile ride back north.

The moto has been great! While R1100GS has a decent suspensionon, the KTM's is great on the speed bumps and bad roads. A definite improvement! The only PM, I have done is to spray the chain daily with WD-40. I do have a question about a situation, I don't think there is a problem, just the nature of the moto. I can be cruising in the 65 to 85 MPH range and the moto will seem to surge or hesitate at times, HOWEVER, I can engage the throttle lock and there are no surges or hesitation! I try to hold the throttle as still as possible, even have the habit of bracing a finger on the brake lever, but it still does it. Anyone else have this issue? I assume since it does not do it on throttle lock that it is me, but maybe there is something else. Thanks!
dwj - Donnie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2013, 06:54 AM   #165
dwj - Donnie OP
Beastly Adventurer
 
dwj - Donnie's Avatar
 
Joined: Apr 2006
Location: Traveling on the Moto or Escuitla, Chiapas, Mexico
Oddometer: 13,243
Quote:
Originally Posted by gefr View Post
The longer shaft is meant to work on the 2009 bikes onwards and matches the new impeller, but can be mounted on the pre '09 as well.
Cheers.

Thanks! For some reason I just now saw this!
dwj - Donnie is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Share

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

.
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On

Forum Jump


Times are GMT -7.   It's 11:52 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright ADVrider 2011-2014