Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Trip Planning > Americas
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-19-2013, 09:00 PM   #1
charapa OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 395
Looking for a cheap way to moto tour South America?

I see many people wanting to do low budget tours, but the rental fee on bikes kill all their options and if the bike is not in your name you have difficulty at borders. So they look at buying a used brand name bikes or new Chinese bikes and having quite a good experience.... Except for the details of selling it at the end of the trip...

I would like to extend a hand to this group of riders.

I am an American Expat that lives in Peru and I am willing to find you a good used brand name or a decent new Chinese bike, buy it for you and paper it in your name, all before you arrive in Peru. Then (if you plan your trip in a loop), I will buy it back from you at the end of your trip, and I will prep it and pass it on to the next budget rider. Problem solved!

Why would I do this? I have been doing moto events and tours in Peru non-profit since 1982, because this is what I love. Plus I get to meet new friends.

Can you trust me? Check out all my blogs here (as charapa) and at HUBB (as charapashanperu) and all the people I have helped. Ask them about me.

Do I know how to pick a good bike? I've been riding, racing, guiding, wrenching and teaching moto mechanics since I was a wee lad (lets just say we are closing in on 40 years in this stuff).

Go for it!

Cheers! Toby

"Those friends thou hast... and their adoption tried... grapple them to thy soul with hoops of steel. But do not dull thy palm with entertainment of each new-hatch'd, unfledg'd comrade...." Polonius in Hamlet
charapa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2013, 07:17 AM   #2
charapa OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Just kicking this offer to the top of the pile

Give me how many days you have to spend and I will recommend some great routes you can do in that time.

All this is FREE fyi

"Those friends thou hast... and their adoption tried... grapple them to thy soul with hoops of steel. But do not dull thy palm with entertainment of each new-hatch'd, unfledg'd comrade...." Polonius in Hamlet
Old 07-01-2013, 12:17 PM   #3
IRIDE56
Mike

Oddometer: 35
Peru looks like a big place.
I am heading you way 11-01-13 from Texas, Its going to take me a while I got a month stop off somewhere in Mexico for some Spanish schooling, Its still open,, I was going to bypass Ecuador, but after talking to a Cop that just made that trip I put Ecuador back on the bucket list....
First beer is on me if you some me some good roads to ride and cheap places to stay... I will be on a loaded down KLR 650....
Mike
IRIDE56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2013, 08:26 AM   #4
charapa OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by IRIDE56 View Post
Peru looks like a big place.
I am heading you way 11-01-13 from Texas, Its going to take me a while I got a month stop off somewhere in Mexico for some Spanish schooling, Its still open,, I was going to bypass Ecuador, but after talking to a Cop that just made that trip I put Ecuador back on the bucket list....
First beer is on me if you some me some good roads to ride and cheap places to stay... I will be on a loaded down KLR 650....
Mike
Sounds great! I live in the center of Peru (Huanuco), but I will be away Dec 7th to 21st (on a Peru-Bolivia 2-week tour), then Jan 1 to 24, (guiding my 'Follow the Dakar 2014 tour) in Bolivia, Argentina, and Chile. But I guess you won't be getting down to Peru until Feb or so....

Glad you are on a KLR650 (I have two in my fleet) as you will be in the rainy season going thru Ecuador, Peru, and Bolivia. Get some Pirrelli MT-21 tires on that thing. They are a knobby that runs smooth on the pavement. Hate for you to be breaking all that faring on the KLR!

Cheers!

Toby

Old 07-02-2013, 10:39 AM   #5
CourtRand
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 180
We have a US registered F800 that we would like to get rid of. Would you be interested in brokering it for us?

+593(0)98-176-2340 http://FreedomBikeRental.com
court@freedombikerental.com
CourtRand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2013, 12:12 PM   #6
Witold
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 659
Thread saved for later.

What kind of cheaper bikes are available? Anything you recommend or particularly like?

Are any of the smaller bikes that get introduced in Asia also available in Peru? For example, KTM Duke 200, or Duke 300? How about any of the Indian bikes, like Pulsar 220?
Witold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2013, 05:15 PM   #7
charapa OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by CourtRand View Post
We have a US registered F800 that we would like to get rid of. Would you be interested in brokering it for us?
No, sorry! Too much $$ involved!

Toby

Old 07-02-2013, 05:17 PM   #8
charapa OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Witold View Post
Thread saved for later.

What kind of cheaper bikes are available? Anything you recommend or particularly like?

Are any of the smaller bikes that get introduced in Asia also available in Peru? For example, KTM Duke 200, or Duke 300? How about any of the Indian bikes, like Pulsar 220?
Yes, the KTM 200 Duke is available here in Peru. On the Chinese front, there are many decent 200cc and 250cc that will give you about 10,000 km. The Indian Pulsar 150 and 200 are available too, but I prefer the more on-off bikes.

Toby

Old 07-03-2013, 12:08 PM   #9
Witold
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 659
That's great. I spent a good bit of time riding Pulsar 220 and it's pretty decent. Suspension is not that great and on dirt roads I did end up hitting the headers on it. But I got the impression that is is pretty reliable. I had a chance to ride Duke 200 as well, and it obviously doesn't compare to my SMC690, but it's still a pretty nice bike.
Witold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2013, 02:04 PM   #10
Adv Grifter
on the road o'dreams

Oddometer: 6,128
BUMP!
I can vouch for Toby ... even though I've never met him, i've followed his postings here and on Horizon's Unlimited HUBB for years. He seems like a legit guy, been around in Peru' forever and knows plenty about bikes and the whole scene down there.

Hey Toby, we always hear a lot about riders wanting to sell off their US registered bikes in S. America at trips end. Yet, technically, in some countries, it's illegal. I hear there is a "Free Zone" down around Punta Arenas, Chile where you can buy or sell a foreign bike, no problem.
Any comments or knowledge?

If someone showed up in Peru' on an older Suzuki DR650 or Kawi KLR650 in good running order and set up for RTW travel, would you be interested in buying it? ... and could you easily turn it over? All this takes time ... how do you go about "floating" the cash until the bike sells?

Of course the price would have to realistic. I know how expensive bikes are in S. America for locals, and some travelers exploit this situation and try to get far more than they paid for their bike in the USA after it's been beaten to death riding S. America.

I see some (mostly Euros and Aussies doing this) come over to California, buy a used KLR or DR650 for $2500 to $3000, (roughly HALF what they'd have to pay at home) then try to sell it off to some poor Sap in S. America for $5000. This after 20,000 miles and beat. Real nice, eh?

Most Used KLR's, DR650's once ridden around S. America aren't worth much more than $2000 to $3000 USD even if running perfect. It's sad some "fellow travelers" are so greedy.

Is that price range one that could work for you? Could a US registered bike be transferred to another foreigner? (Euro, US, Canada, Asia). How do you do it?
Adv Grifter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2013, 02:17 PM   #11
charapa OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adv Grifter View Post
BUMP!
I can vouch for Toby ... even though I've never met him, i've followed his postings here and on Horizon's Unlimited HUBB for years. He seems like a legit guy, been around in Peru' forever and knows plenty about bikes and the whole scene down there.

Hey Toby, we always hear a lot about riders wanting to sell off their US registered bikes in S. America at trips end. Yet, technically, in some countries, it's illegal. I hear there is a "Free Zone" down around Punta Arenas, Chile where you can buy or sell a foreign bike, no problem.
Any comments or knowledge?

If someone showed up in Peru' on an older Suzuki DR650 or Kawi KLR650 in good running order and set up for RTW travel, would you be interested in buying it? ... and could you easily turn it over? All this takes time ... how do you go about "floating" the cash until the bike sells?

Of course the price would have to realistic. I know how expensive bikes are in S. America for locals, and some travelers exploit this situation and try to get far more than they paid for their bike in the USA after it's been beaten to death riding S. America.

I see some (mostly Euros and Aussies doing this) come over to California, buy a used KLR or DR650 for $2500 to $3000, (roughly HALF what they'd have to pay at home) then try to sell it off to some poor Sap in S. America for $5000. This after 20,000 miles and beat. Real nice, eh?

Most Used KLR's, DR650's once ridden around S. America aren't worth much more than $2000 to $3000 USD even if running perfect. It's sad some "fellow travelers" are so greedy.

Is that price range one that could work for you? Could a US registered bike be transferred to another foreigner? (Euro, US, Canada, Asia). How do you do it?
Grifter,

THX for the BUMP!

I'm about to find out how that TIP (temp import paperwork) works as two friends are riding KLR650s down from the USA, then giving them to me here in Peru. So I will have to 'regulate' them as full imports into Peru once they get there. Honestly, I don't know yet what the new law is. So much is changing (mostly for the good) in SA with MERCOSUR agreements, even with 'Tratado de Libre Comercio' with the US. Hopefully the tax is not what it was last time (@ 140%) I was importating bikes into Peru!

About 'floating' the cost of bikes... as I offered to do at the beginning of this post, I was only talking about doing it for Chinese bikes that only run $1,400 new! I'm not rolling in $$$ to 'help' out everybody!

I DO run my own Adventure Moto Tours... and if the tax is not too high I might be interested in buying some used DR, XR, or KLR, but I'm probably never going to be doing BMWs! ... just joshing...

Toby

Old 07-04-2013, 03:10 PM   #12
Adv Grifter
on the road o'dreams

Oddometer: 6,128
Quote:
Originally Posted by charapa View Post
THX for the BUMP!

I'm about to find out how that TIP (temp import paperwork) works as two friends are riding KLR650s down from the USA, then giving them to me here in Peru. So I will have to 'regulate' them as full imports into Peru once they get there. Honestly, I don't know yet what the new law is. So much is changing (mostly for the good) in SA with MERCOSUR agreements, even with 'Tratado de Libre Comercio' with the US. Hopefully the tax is not what it was last time (@ 140%) I was importing bikes into Peru!

About 'floating' the cost of bikes... as I offered to do at the beginning of this post, I was only talking about doing it for Chinese bikes that only run $1,400 new! I'm not rolling in $$$ to 'help' out everybody!

I DO run my own Adventure Moto Tours... and if the tax is not too high I might be interested in buying some used DR, XR, or KLR, but I'm probably never going to be doing BMWs! ... just joshing...

Toby
What about skipping importing into Peru' completely? I think your main customer would be either Norte Americanos, Aussies or Europeos wanting to fly into Peru and buy a nice used KLR or DR650 at a fair price.

If it was a US registered bike, you would only have to transfer it from original owner to new owner via the local US DMV, get the US paperwork and somehow transfer the TIP to new owner. Not sure how the TIP part would be done.

Maybe LEAVE the country and in NO Man's land, make the switch. That is how it's done is some countries. No idea about Peru'.

Unless it's illegal for someone NOT on the TIP to exit with the bike, why not do that? You could be the middleman and getting a small (and well deserved) fee for your services.

The other thing I'd do is find a good shop the new owners could use to get their "new" bike up to snuff. The shop should stock most common things for the most common ADV Travel bikes: (KLR, DR, XR-L, F650, whatever) Mainly Chains, Sprockets, tires, tubes, Carb parts, batteries, cables, levers. That might do it for a start. Or you could handle all that yourself? Options.

Good luck and MAN, would I love to ride one of your tours.

Where about's do you guys go?
Adv Grifter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2013, 04:50 PM   #13
charapa OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adv Grifter View Post
What about skipping importing into Peru' completely? I think your main customer would be either Norte Americanos, Aussies or Europeos wanting to fly into Peru and buy a nice used KLR or DR650 at a fair price.

If it was a US registered bike, you would only have to transfer it from original owner to new owner via the local US DMV, get the US paperwork and somehow transfer the TIP to new owner. Not sure how the TIP part would be done.

Maybe LEAVE the country and in NO Man's land, make the switch. That is how it's done is some countries. No idea about Peru'.

Unless it's illegal for someone NOT on the TIP to exit with the bike, why not do that? You could be the middleman and getting a small (and well deserved) fee for your services.

The other thing I'd do is find a good shop the new owners could use to get their "new" bike up to snuff. The shop should stock most common things for the most common ADV Travel bikes: (KLR, DR, XR-L, F650, whatever) Mainly Chains, Sprockets, tires, tubes, Carb parts, batteries, cables, levers. That might do it for a start. Or you could handle all that yourself? Options.

Good luck and MAN, would I love to ride one of your tours.

Where about's do you guys go?
As I only have 6 bikes right now, I have them stationed out of Cuzco, Peru where I can rent a few more from other tour companies if I have to.

Almost all my regular tours are 2-weeks, cause it's no fun just doing a little circle in Peru, and people want to see Cuzco and Machu Picchu too as well as do some EPIC riding! I have two regular tours:

(1) 'Amazon & Andes' where you see a little bit of the two major parts of Peru, and (2) 'Conquistadors' where you travel up the center of the Andes, then turn off to the mountain jungle and finish with the Gocta Falls (3rd highest in the world) and the Fortress of Kuelap (that rivals Machu Picchu).

I have a 1-week tour to go spectate (on motos) the Dakar Series 'Desafio Inca the first week of October.

Also a 'Peru & Bolivia 2013' where we go from Cuzco, the Colca Canyon (twice the depth of the Grand Canyon) into Bolivia to ride the 'Road of Death' then ride the mountain jungle edge all the way to Santa Cruz, where we will leave the bikes for the 18-day/4 country 'Follow the Dakar 2014' in January.. but you can see all this on my web page with maps, fotos, costs, etc...

On the 'Bike Supply Shop', I am setting up in Huanuco, right in the middle of Peru (in all directions) and right on the road that all wise (non-Panam pavement) riders will be using in the future. I will have my own shop for my fleet and it would be easy for me to carry a little extra stuff for DRs also (as I only have XRs and KLRs right now... I'll be ready by the end of the year!

Cheers! Toby

Old 07-06-2013, 11:04 PM   #14
TheBlurr
Banned

Oddometer: 5,588
Good info here, thanks
TheBlurr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2013, 04:30 AM   #15
kantuckid
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,702
Quick question on rental bike selection- do you have a MC that is suitable for 29" inseam/experienced rider?
"If I had my life to live over,I'd dare to make more mistakes next time...I'd relax,I'd limber up.I'd be sillier than this trip, take fewer things seriously, I would take more chances... take more trips...climb more mountains...swim more rivers...eat more ice cream." Jorge Luis Borges, at age 85
kantuckid is offline   Reply With Quote