Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-15-2013, 09:37 PM   #1321
bgoodsoil OP
Dare to be Stupid

Oddometer: 4,221
The A/F gauge came in!

Holy '80s hair-do, Batman! I can't believe GROWN-ASSED MEN did this

I got the gauge on Amazon for $95 shipped. Man I love how cheap electronics are getting. This was an open-box-deal with Amazon's guarantee. None of the packages were opened inside and I ran the wires to a battery and it turned on. Seems good!

It came with both the black and the silver bezels, a black and a white face plate. It also came with one bung which I didn't expect. They're $9 each. It has a connector to run it to some software, a few acessorry wires built into the gauge for...something idunno. Something apparently goes in and something else comes out

I'll make a new dash for it some time next week. Man that's gonna be a fun project. MMMmmmm....brass

I welded the bung on the coldest setting since I've blown through this pipe before. I think it has as much to do with angle as heat though. If I aim straight at the pipe it'll blow through even on low. I seem to need to catch it at a tangent to hit more metal. I don't need it to be that strong so even though it's a little cold I think it'll be fine.

The crossover was trashed on these headers so I used a chunk from Len's bent r65 header. It was too big and I couldn't get it to seal with clamps so I welded it. I tacked it in place, on the bike, but it was still a little too narrow for the crossover. It has to be perfect if I'm going to get a good seal.

An old-timer a few blocks over died last year. I never knew him, I just went through his stuff when my Dad told me about the yard sale. One day somebody'll be picking over my shop.....I'ma lay traps

Anyways, I got these awesome clamps for $2. I took home a truck load of stuff from this guy's house for next to nothing. I dialed the crossover in until it slid in easily. This crossover is SOOOOOOOO much easier to take off than that stock pipe. What the Hell were those Germans thinking?!

I ordered a few extra bungs. If anybody in Atlanta that had Mikunis on an airhead wanted to trade me a 6 pack for one, I could be talked in to welding it for pizza I can pull the gauge off the bike in no time and let you live with it for a while to tune your carbs.

I also found a liiiitle leak in the crossover. I put this collar on there because I blew through a spot and couldn't fill it in. Here's on advantage of running rich.

This is the only place I could mount the sensor. Further forward and I'd only hit one pipe, further back and I'd run into the junction with the muffler. I don't want to install the sensor on the muffler because I hope to swap it out along with the new sub-frame. I don't want to have another thing to uninstall when I swap them back and forth.

I routed the cable under the swingarm. I'll weld a plate across the back some time to keep mud from hitting it.

My main concern is that the sensor will get bent when I go across a log and the whole thing gets mashed upwards. It's hard to see in this pic, but the sensor will get pushed into part of the frame if that happens. Hmmm....I got an idear.....

I'm stuck for now. I had to add a plate to the exhaust clamps because they were bottoming out and not sealing. I dismantled them to clean out the copper plates....and I lost 'em I've looked everywhere and I can't find 'em.

I think it's time to go to sleep. I've got to spend tomorrow on campus studying Calculus. Last week was the first week of class. This Wednesday is our first test Aaaargh summer semesters.

Proud SmugMug User Support ADV: Don't give those cheap bums your discount code

bgoodsoil screwed with this post 06-16-2013 at 10:01 PM
bgoodsoil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2013, 10:12 PM   #1322
Box'a'bits
In need of repair

Oddometer: 2,007
Quote:
Originally Posted by bgoodsoil View Post
The sensor is as far forward as I can get it. I'll weld a plate across it some time to keep mud from hitting it. My main concern is that the sensor will get bent when I go across a log and the whole thing gets mashed upwards. It's hard to see in this pic, but the sensor will get pushed into part of the frame if that happens. Hmmm....I got an idear.....
My understanding is that the bung hole is the same size / thread pitch as an oil drain plug. I'd just put one of those in if you are worrried about the sensor getting wiped out on the trail.

It's just better when there's twins involved....
Box'a'bits is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2013, 10:27 PM   #1323
bgoodsoil OP
Dare to be Stupid

Oh I've got plugs for the bungs. I kinda want to leave the gauge on. It looks cool

Heh heh. You said bunghole.

YOU DO NOT WANT TO FACE THE WRATH OF MY BUNGHOLE!

Yeah....we all saw that one coming

bgoodsoil screwed with this post 06-16-2013 at 11:26 AM
Old 06-16-2013, 08:24 AM   #1324
bgoodsoil OP
Dare to be Stupid

Now this is wrenching music!

I'm the 3rd little pig, Bill's Rambo and these carbs are the wolf. My bike is that goofy pig house about to fall off that hill Alriiiiiight...on to calculus

bgoodsoil screwed with this post 06-16-2013 at 11:25 AM
Old 06-16-2013, 05:07 PM   #1325
RomaDakota
Illuminatus

Oddometer: 1,338
Quote:
Alriiiiiight...on to calculus
Hey now... we need more of this! The physicists and mathematicians are dying around me :(
Old 06-17-2013, 07:24 AM   #1326
bgoodsoil OP
Dare to be Stupid

Quote:
The physicists and mathematicians are dying around me :(
Have you tried closing the blinds? Nerds are allergic to sunshine. We burn like vampires if we go outside in the daytime

Why are you surrounded by physicists and mathematicians anyways?

bgoodsoil screwed with this post 06-17-2013 at 06:05 PM
Old 06-17-2013, 04:42 PM   #1327
crazydrummerdude
Wacky Bongo Boy

Oddometer: 7,506
Quote:
Alriiiiiight...on to calculus
I got a minor in math. My college experience:
Calc 1 is weird.
Calc 2 is bullshit (especially the trig identities).
Calc 3 is easy (it's just Calc 1 with an extra dimension).
Diff Eq is frighteningly easy.
Linear Algebra is the easiest.
Engineering Statistics is its own language unlike anything else.
Math Modeling is the most difficult and most awesome.

crazydrummerdude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2013, 06:03 PM   #1328
bgoodsoil OP
Dare to be Stupid

I'm working on a minor in Math right now too. Other than Calc and Linear, all my other math classes are aimed at Computer Science majors rather than engineering like yours though. The job of economics is mainly programming statistical analysis software so I piggyback on the CompSci department's classes a lot.

Linear Algebra is the main reason why I'm getting the minor. Matrices explain most of what the program is doing behind the scenes of data analysis.

bgoodsoil screwed with this post 07-28-2013 at 10:14 PM
Old 06-17-2013, 06:18 PM   #1329
bgoodsoil OP
Dare to be Stupid

Math modeling? Seriously? Are math students so left-brained that we need to let them make numbers out of clay to spark some creativity?

Old 06-17-2013, 06:41 PM   #1330
Stagehand
+/- V TDSPP

Oddometer: 25,087
Quote:
Originally Posted by crazydrummerdude View Post
I got a minor in math. My college experience:
Calc 1 is weird.
Calc 2 is bullshit (especially the trig identities).
Calc 3 is easy (it's just Calc 1 with an extra dimension).
Diff Eq is frighteningly easy.
Linear Algebra is the easiest.
Engineering Statistics is its own language unlike anything else.
Math Modeling is the most difficult and most awesome.
There's always non linear equations to melt your brain
Old 06-17-2013, 07:14 PM   #1331
bgoodsoil OP
Dare to be Stupid

Hey stop trolling some stupid thread about a bike that doesn't even run and post us up some videos already!

Old 06-17-2013, 07:24 PM   #1332
crazydrummerdude
Wacky Bongo Boy

Oddometer: 7,506
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stagehand View Post
melt your brain
Allow me to get some more mileage out of this screen-shot I took of a program I wrote in MatLab.

crazydrummerdude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2013, 07:50 PM   #1333
bgoodsoil OP
Dare to be Stupid

neat! That class is basically what my life is going to look like if I get this gubment job.

I've learned SAS and Stata so far and I've got R ahead of me. I'll likely never use MatLab thogh. Engineering statistics uses very different models from social statistics. Particles are a bit more predictable than peoples. Well, at least they are now.....muahaha!

Old 06-18-2013, 07:18 AM   #1334
One Less Harley
OH.THAT'S GONNA HURT

Oddometer: 4,597
ok enough of this nerd shit...lets get back to Brad busting knuckles and breaking stuff
2003 Suzuki DRZ 400S (TAT Prep)
One More DRZ does the TAT (Ride Report)

One Less Harley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2013, 07:24 AM   #1335
bgoodsoil OP
Dare to be Stupid

It's an airhead, man. Anything you do on it is 'nerd shit.'

Airheads ARE the nerds of the motorcycling community. This sub-forum is like that cafeteria table way off in the corner where pasty small kids in glasses huddle in a group for protection.

I've got a d20 the size of a racquetball. It might be hanging from my rear-view by this afternoon.

I've got to weld a fitting onto the muffler and a few hangers for a spring. It's too tight to get my plumbing clamps to work there. After that I can take it to the man with the jets. I thought I'd get it done last night but after 11 hours on campus I didn't trust myself with heavy machinery