User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-01-2013, 05:10 PM   #301
JRAM
sherpa

Oddometer: 39
40x48 trailer

After reading all the great info on the Harbor Freight trailers I decided to pick one up last weekend. I opted for the smallest one so it can fit inside my garage and stand it up against the wall in winter. The light duty model will work well for transporting my Trials bike. I got it in on sale at the store and with a coupon it was only $160. Assembly is fairly easy but it took me a couple of days. I wanted to make sure everything was nice and tight and spent a lot of time running the wiring. I opted to run a dedicated ground wire from each taillight. A 6' plank with wheel chock does the job and since it is so low it is easy to load. Tried it out today and it pulls great, even had it up to 60mph. The build quality is actually pretty good I think, and yes I cleaned the bearings and packed them with quality grease. One thing I found that should be done is the nut on the bottom of the coupler (the one to adjust the coupler) can come loose and so I replaced with a locking nut. I think it will work well for my intended use.

SSPX7667 by alperpa2001, on Flickr
JRAM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2013, 08:29 PM   #302
jackanory
I am Jack's wasted life

Oddometer: 456
Quote:
Originally Posted by JimVonBaden View Post
Looks great! Now, secure those fenders by adding a strap from the mount above the frame to the frame. That will reduce vibration and eventual breakage! DAMHIK.

Jim
Ditto.

I now have custom fenders and some poor soul on I5 likely has a HF fender shaped customized grill cutout...

Other than that the trailer has been handy as hell. I've loaded it with a triumph tiger (1999 - the older, heavier one) and run at 70mph with no problems. I did pack the bearings with quality grease though.
jackanory is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2013, 04:03 PM   #303
SteveO
Huh???

Oddometer: 1,160
Cool2 Light weight trailer

Today I pulled my trailer with my little commuter, just to see how it would do. To my surprise, the little Saturn did pretty well. Normally, when I'm commuting, this little 1993 TBI (Throttle Body Injection) car will pull in 42Mpg for me. Of course when trailering, I expect that to drop quite a bit. At any rate, there are a few images of my setup:

Life is a mist in the wind, here today and gone tomorrow; know who you are and where you are going after you pass through death's door.
SteveO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2013, 04:17 PM   #304
BigWhiteD
Adventurer

Oddometer: 64
Took the trailer out for the first time this past weekend on a 5 day camping trip. No issues pulling it or any stability issues other than the wind from passing semis make it move a little. Great addition to the garage!!

BigWhiteD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2013, 10:25 AM   #305
DarkNinja75
n00b

Oddometer: 2
I just picked up a used one of these yesterday in a very basic state. Plywood on it, and came with the HF wheel chock, but the wiring situation is pretty poor.

I added some more grease through the nipple on the hub using a grease gun, but I'll probably need to add more. I checked the installation instructions online and it specifically states that the bearings need to be greased, and grease is not included. I don't know if that was included in the original instructions years ago, but HF acknowledges that what the bearings come with isn't good enough.
DarkNinja75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2013, 07:39 AM   #306
JimVonBaden
"Cool" Aid!

Oddometer: 48,152
Quote:
Originally Posted by DarkNinja75 View Post
I just picked up a used one of these yesterday in a very basic state. Plywood on it, and came with the HF wheel chock, but the wiring situation is pretty poor.

I added some more grease through the nipple on the hub using a grease gun, but I'll probably need to add more. I checked the installation instructions online and it specifically states that the bearings need to be greased, and grease is not included. I don't know if that was included in the original instructions years ago, but HF acknowledges that what the bearings come with isn't good enough.
I would suggest disassembling them and hand packing. Adding grease through the nipple is likely not getting to all the bearings.

Jim
JimVonBaden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2013, 08:48 AM   #307
Motomantra
Registered Lurker

Oddometer: 1,062
It's been gone over multiple times in this thread about the bearings. You'll want to remove the bearings & clean off whatever was on them, re pack with real grease (Mobil 1 is my go to grease now). I found rust & paint flakes in the hubs, so clean the inside of the hubs too.
Old 06-20-2013, 10:49 AM   #308
DarkNinja75
n00b

Oddometer: 2
Any suggestions on how to remove that cover outside of the bearings? It's on there pretty tight. Since I didn't assemble it, I'm not sure I'm properly disassembling it.
DarkNinja75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2013, 12:31 AM   #309
grizybaer
n00b

Oddometer: 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by DarkNinja75 View Post
Any suggestions on how to remove that cover outside of the bearings? It's on there pretty tight. Since I didn't assemble it, I'm not sure I'm properly disassembling it.
I used an adjustable crescent wrench on mine. I hooked the top jaw the lip on the bearing cap, tapped the handle and the cap was off. My original attempt with a flat screwdriver was unsuccessful.
grizybaer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2013, 12:36 AM   #310
grizybaer
n00b

Oddometer: 3
Floor / bed options.

I'm choosing a decking material and im concerned that 3/4 in plywood would impede folding. Anyone have trouble?

Also how many fasteners would be needed? I was going just bolt the corners of each square.
grizybaer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2013, 05:44 AM   #311
seniorasi
Banned

Oddometer: 816
Quote:
Originally Posted by grizybaer View Post
I'm choosing a decking material and im concerned that 3/4 in plywood would impede folding. Anyone have trouble?

Also how many fasteners would be needed? I was going just bolt the corners of each square.
Hi, I don't own one of these yet but may purchase one soon. It appears from reading the 21 pages in this thread the plywood, properly installed does not impede folding. Lots of useful knowledge here if you're considering the purchase or modifying one.
seniorasi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2013, 04:12 PM   #312
JimVonBaden
"Cool" Aid!

Oddometer: 48,152
Quote:
Originally Posted by seniorasi View Post
Hi, I don't own one of these yet but may purchase one soon. It appears from reading the 21 pages in this thread the plywood, properly installed does not impede folding. Lots of useful knowledge here if you're considering the purchase or modifying one.
1/2 inch is OK, 3/4" can cause binding.

Jim
JimVonBaden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2013, 08:02 AM   #313
facetjoint
TONKA

Oddometer: 5,607
Quote:
Originally Posted by grizybaer View Post

The 3/4 decking makes the trailer pretty heavy to fold up. Plus it is a tight fold up. Lets say the trailer doesn't really like it, and will not fold up touching face to face flush. Close, but no cigar. But then really, you can't go much thinner wood material unless you go hard wood IMHO for what it is worth. Diamond plate would be the cats ass, but pretty spendy also.
facetjoint is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2013, 02:43 AM   #314
FrankoQ
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 171
3/4 works. It's a tight fit to fold but it does fold.

FrankoQ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2013, 05:51 AM   #315
FrankoQ
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 171
Here is my final product

FrankoQ is offline   Reply With Quote