Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Trip Planning > Americas
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-22-2013, 04:24 AM   #91
CheapB
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 393
I couldn't get past page 2 of all the sissies that say it's not doable.

It's all about your mindset, set your mind to it, and you can do it. Qaz and Novarider make excellent points. To me, for long days, a camelback is a must, I refill it at every fuel stop. Just less than 2 yrs ago, I made it from Colorado Springs to King, NC (1600 miles) in just over 34 hrs.

And we stopped a couple of times to sight see.
CheapB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2013, 04:52 AM   #92
ts3doug
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 716
Yes, but your tiny head provides low wind drag
ts3doug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2013, 04:56 AM   #93
CheapB
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 393
you know you love it doug.
CheapB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2013, 09:42 AM   #94
KGBz
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 105
Thumb

I live in south eastern PA, about 45 minutes outside of Philly. If you want to hit some twisty back roads in PA while you are here, let's ride!!!
KGBz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2013, 06:39 PM   #95
InTheLoo
Adventurer

Oddometer: 24
Cool2 I Did This. Here's My Tips:

I rode a Triumph Speed Triple from Phoenix to the Tail of the Dragon (TN/NC border) in 2.5 days last June. I had about 10 days total and wanted to spend the most time I could in the Smokies and the least time on the road to and from. I did two consecutive 750 mile days and then an "easy" 450 mile day to close out the trip each direction. Here's a few tips I can offer:
  • August is going to suck. I took I-40 and the +100F heat in AZ, NM, TX and even OK was a bit trying but nothing like the heat AND humidity that ate me alive in AR and TN. I used a wet vest along with a large freezer bag to soak in about a litre of water every fuel stop (~150 miles for me) and it worked well in dry heat. But I suffered like a dog in the humidity. There was a bit of a heat wave with temps in the upper 90's in AR and TN so maybe you'll get to avoid this.

I think I have a high heat tolerance and excellent endurance. I'm young and a competitive cyclist. The heat still sucked the life out of me by about 400 miles into each humid day. I drank at least 1L of water per stop (6L per day, typically.) I was still way under hydrated. 750 miles was the most I could manage each day mentally and physically.

• Plan your fuel stops ahead of time. It gives a sure waypoint to look forward to and keeps from having to think about what to do about fuel. You don't think well when you're hot and dehydrated. There's not many stops for fuel out west...

• Hotels are a great reprieve from the heat. They cost money but you'll be begging for someone to take your $100 at the end of a 750 mile day in +100F.

• Subdivide your crap within your luggage into zip-lock freezer and sandwich bags. Keeps you organized and keeps stuff clean if something goes pear-shaped like a bottle of synthetic oil opening itself over the expansion joints in Eastern Oklahama and not realizing it until Memphis.

• To make the time that you'll need to make, you're stuck on the interstate. It's not terrible but try to pick a route East of the Mississippi that will at least rub a bit off the side of your tires. The PA turnpike is a good example. Fast and also a bit entertaining (at least compared to I-40 through NM and TX!)

• I completely lost my appetite on the big mileage days. This goes to show that putting in bigger mileage in trying conditions isn't a walk in the park. Do manageable, reasonable mileage and don't try to be a hero.

In Elk City, OK:

InTheLoo screwed with this post 06-09-2013 at 06:45 PM
InTheLoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2013, 07:01 PM   #96
HellFishTat
n00b

Oddometer: 9
F the Dragon

Quote:
Originally Posted by F800ekelley View Post
It is a stretch but I figure to keep the boredom down if anyone knew a fun route ie the dragon, or blue ridge parkway. That would help
I bought my 1st bike in '86 and I have lived in NC the majority of the time. Once you get to WNC or ETN you can easily find 100 roads that are better than 129. There are way too many HD guys going 20mph...

http://killboy.photoreflect.com/stor...4&g=04RK01WF03

Do something as simple as looking at google maps for a curvy road and then turn the "terrain" on.

Cherohala Skyline
http://goo.gl/maps/3znN5

Fun...
http://goo.gl/maps/XtYti

100miles...
http://goo.gl/maps/1vYw0

http://www.ncsportbikes.com/forums/index.php
HellFishTat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2013, 04:13 AM   #97
Qaz
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 161
Way to go Rob! Great suggestions and an honest analysis of the trip. Living in the east, I find the dry heat puzzleing at times. Since I am not sweating in the humidity, I don't realize I am looseing so much fluid. Of course one hot night in the southern Mississippi lowlands tent camping gives a new meaning to hot and humid.
I am glad you came east and rode the Dragon. That is a sight to behold and one hell of a ride. The Smokey's are beautiful and full of some of the best motorcycle roads in the country. You should think about posting a ride report on your 10 day adventure.
Qaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2013, 03:32 AM   #98
KGBz
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 105
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheCheapest View Post
I couldn't get past page 2 of all the sissies that say it's not doable.

It's all about your mindset, set your mind to it, and you can do it. Qaz and Novarider make excellent points. To me, for long days, a camelback is a must, I refill it at every fuel stop. Just less than 2 yrs ago, I made it from Colorado Springs to King, NC (1600 miles) in just over 34 hrs.

And we stopped a couple of times to sight see.
"If you will it, it is no dream."
KGBz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2013, 10:00 AM   #99
AdventurePoser
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,964
Quote:
Originally Posted by NoVa Rider View Post
I've done it in 2.5 days. Here's fourteen tips I've learned from experience, or been given by some hard corps LD riders:
  1. Hydrate, hydrate, hydrate.. you could use a camelback, but limited capacity and weight on your back. I used this: http://www.st-owners.com/forums/show...dration-System IIRC, 160 ounces of liquid goodness. A folded hotel hand towel under the front of the coleman kept everything level. Fill with ice/water and ride. This is just one options, some bungee a cylindrical cooler to the passenger peg, working especially well if you have panniers;
  2. Don't dawdle at gas stops. That wasted time adds up. Gas up, use the facilities, and go. My stops were about 8-10 minutes. You can eat and drink on the road. I find in the heat I don't eat much, but drink H2O constantly;
  3. Bicycle shorts. They work;
  4. Monkey Butt/Gold Bond Medicated Powder. Either works well;
  5. Beef Jerky/Banana Chips. Texture, protein and potassium. Pack it on the bike, saving more time at stops;
  6. Down a gatorade as needed, especially if the temps are super high;
  7. If temps are super high, pack your suit with ice at each stop. You get about 60 minutes of evaporative cooling;
  8. I start at 4 - 5 am each day, as I prefer knocking out miles early, keeps me in a good mindset all day. I ride until 10 or 11, later if needed;
  9. Stop on the far side of the big city. You avoid traffic the next morning (but leaving early obviates that);
  10. Make sure you are super visible. Reflective tape on your panniers, helmet, and reflective strips on your suit will help you be seen, and survive;
  11. Pack light (or half of what you think you'll need). You don't need much, and if you break down, see 13 below;
  12. Call your credit card company to tell them you'll be travelling so they don't see the multiple gas purchases and shut down the card. Bring cash for when they shut it down anyway;
  13. Get towing coverage from your insurance. Will save you tons if/when your bike breaks down; and
  14. Finally, consider getting an ezpass/fastpass. Depending on your route, will save you tons of time at toll roads.
Good luck.
All good tips! I enjoy riding long distances as well, and for me one of the best things I did for myself was pick up a good modular helmet so I could eat without difficulty when riding...

Call me kookie, call me crazy, but other than the OPs ass burning up, this could be fun! But then I rode 1400 miles for a donut, so what do I know?
Old 06-20-2013, 06:48 PM   #100
acejones
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,657
East of Dallas you can forget about evaporative cooling. The humidity just will not allow it. I also suggest hotels. You'll rest better and be more alert for the next day. If you can't afford hotels and nutricious meals you can't afford the trip. Ride safe.
Old 06-20-2013, 08:27 PM   #101
AdventurePoser
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,964
Quote:
Originally Posted by acejones View Post
East of Dallas you can forget about evaporative cooling. The humidity just will not allow it. I also suggest hotels. You'll rest better and be more alert for the next day. If you can't afford hotels and nutricious meals you can't afford the trip. Ride safe.
You are speakng the truth...as a So Cal guy, which means dry heat, I felt like I'd hit a wall of water just west of San Antonio (I was on a 4 Corners in 21 Days ride).

I remember asking a motel clerk (camping was OUT of the question) how long it took to get used to the humidity. She said, "Honey, you NEVER get used to this." This from a native Alabama resident.

On the flip side, I never met nicer people than Southerners....
Old 06-21-2013, 04:39 AM   #102
Qaz
Gnarly Adventurer

That is not true, as one who grew up without A/C and still does not like it to this day, I sleep better camping than in a motel. Camping has always been a great part of motorcycle trips for me. I have always figured if I was going to stay in a motel every night, I might as well put the bike on a trailer and sit in a air conditioned car all day. If your going to do that, you might as well catch a plane to where you are going and then rent the bike when you get there. Hell, send me the money that you would spend on the trip, I will take the trip for you and e-mail you a trip report telling you what it was like.
Old 09-13-2013, 09:03 AM   #103
Qaz
Gnarly Adventurer

What ever happened to Kelly and his trip?
Old 09-14-2013, 12:00 PM   #104
TUCKERS
the famous james

Oddometer: 11,312
Colleen and James rode their two BMW R1150GS's home from Virginia Beach Virginia to Los Angeles California in four days.

It rained all the way to Oklahoma City.

Done a 1000 mile day.....Jackson Lake east of Denver CO to Jackson Lake Los Angeles County on Big Pines road. Stupidest motorcycle trick we have EVER done. Don't bother.

There will be no sights/nice roads/decent food/places to see/things not to miss.......there will be lots of freeway riding with looking all the time for Police.....it's kinda nerve wracking and exciting at the same time. You have to have a certain mindset. I think the clinical term is 'nuts'

Aut viam inveniam aut faciam

DMV paperwork/room rental/motorbike/vehicle buying/Travelers help
TUCKERS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2013, 11:04 AM   #105
Qaz
Gnarly Adventurer

James- Thats a 50 hour ride doing the speed limit. What took you so long? Oh, you said both of you were on R1150GS's.