Originally Posted by River View Post
PAPA
SJTR
jimmex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2013, 08:14 AM   #32
H96669
A proud pragmatist.

Oddometer: 4,496
Takes very little "bear spray" to incapacitate a human. Remember that if you want to release it at a charging bear on a windy day.You may just be the one running blind.

Yes I was slightly exposed....sure didn't like it. Not gonna help if you are in your tent smelling of Stagg Chili....bacon or KD farts and the bear comes sniffing around.
Old 06-18-2013, 09:16 AM   #33
High Country Herb
Adventure Connoiseur

Oddometer: 7,773
Quote:
Originally Posted by _cy_ View Post
any long gun I bring will be legally brought into Canada with all the paperwork. that .22 hornet is packing magnum level energy.

.410 with a 240 grain slug packs serious punch ...
but big ole can of bear spray is what's most practical.
I have to agree with billdonna. The .22 mag is similar to a firecracker where grizzlys are concerned, and a .410 with a slug will not stop them either. You would need a well placed shot with a 12 gauge slug, .454 Casull pistol, or minimum 30-06 rifle. Most guides in Alaska carry .458 Lott, .300 Win Mag, or the like, which just isn't practical for motorcycling through Canada.

I would just avoid having anything aromatic in camp, and carry bear spray. If I were really ambitious, I would ship my gun to AK, and pick it up when I crossed the border, then ship it home before heading back into Canada.
High Country Herb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2013, 09:33 AM   #34
_cy_
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,892
Quote:
Originally Posted by High Country Herb View Post
I have to agree with billdonna. The .22 mag is similar to a firecracker where grizzlys are concerned, and a .410 with a slug will not stop them either. You would need a well placed shot with a 12 gauge slug, .454 Casull pistol, or minimum 30-06 rifle. Most guides in Alaska carry .458 Lott, .300 Win Mag, or the like, which just isn't practical for motorcycling through Canada..
a common misconception that all .410 slugs are underpowered. 375 grn slug putting out 1,800 ft lb energy or about same as .454 Casull .. http://www.hoeningbigboresouth.com/B...allistics.html note barrel has to be custom fitted to slug with choke machined out. not all actions/barrels are suited for high powered .410 rounds.

.22 hornet loaded with lill gun and 53grn bullet achieves .44 magnum level power.
Springfield M6 Scout was specifically chosen for super compact breakdown size and strength of action. most importantly be legal to bring into Canada.

HBBS 410 Uncrimped Heavy Load 375 gr Slug, BC = 0.214, 100yd. zero

Range (yards)
Muzzle
Velocity (fps)
Energy (ft.-lb.)
Trajectory (inches)

_cy_ screwed with this post 06-18-2013 at 09:59 AM
_cy_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2013, 12:08 PM   #35
High Country Herb
Adventure Connoiseur

Pretty impressive numbers.

If you are set on firearms for defense (I'm a gun guy, so I get it) my money would be on the slugs in an auto loading gun. Shot placement will be difficult in an emergency situation. Incapacitating one leg at a time until you have taken out two or three will at least stop the charge. Keep in mind, you will have to process the carcass according to Alaskan regs:

http://www.adn.com/2009/08/13/897940...walker-to.html

As a mental exercise, imagine standing on the railroad tracks, trying to stop an oncoming train by shooting off the wheels one by one with a very large handgun. Chances are, you will not encounter an angry bear, so I wouldn't worry too much.
Old 06-18-2013, 05:38 PM   #36
Chat Lunatique
ACK

Oddometer: 995
Quote:
Originally Posted by _cy_ View Post
Springfield M6 Scout was specifically chosen for super compact breakdown size and strength of action. most importantly be legal to bring into Canada.
Quote : The greatest change is that the commercial model has a barrel length of 18.25 inches (46.4 cm) instead of the 14 inches (36 cm) barrel length of the USAF version.

Best of luck to ya at the border! Minimum 18.5" barrel length and 26" minimum overall to be legal in Canada. And yes, they will check it.
Old 06-18-2013, 05:54 PM   #37
High Country Herb
Adventure Connoiseur

Quote:
Originally Posted by billdonna View Post
Quote : The greatest change is that the commercial model has a barrel length of 18.25 inches (46.4 cm) instead of the 14 inches (36 cm) barrel length of the USAF version.

Best of luck to ya at the border! Minimum 18.5" barrel length and 26" minimum overall to be legal in Canada. And yes, they will check it.
Is it shotguns and rimfire (.22) only in Canada, or are hunting rifles such as 30-06 also allowed? What about semi-automatic deer rifles with small magazines of say 4 shots? I assume there is some sort of paperwork that must be completed prior to entering your country?

A Browning BAR chambered in 30-06 or 300 Win Mag, shortened to about 26.5" would be pretty good for hunting in Alaska, yet easily carried on a motorcycle.
Old 06-18-2013, 10:22 PM   #38
_cy_
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by billdonna View Post

crap!!! M6 barrel is 18.25in .. overall length is 32in
looks like back to the drawing board .. was really happy with loads I'd been working up too...
Old 06-19-2013, 08:47 AM   #39
H96669
A proud pragmatist.

I see...not many familiar with the Canadian gun laws. This BTW is legal in Canada, a little more of a sting than a Hornet but never mind the accuracy.

http://www.canadiangunnutz.com/forum...-back-in-stock!

As for the paperwork, sure it is possible to bring a gun into Canada. Just remember that it is at the full discretion of the CBSA agents if they let you into the country or not.Paperwork or not, the real test will be at the border.
Old 06-19-2013, 09:53 AM   #40
GP640
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,323
Remember that the National parks require firearms to be disassembled and locked away.
No matter what the problem, use or display of a firearm in a National Park will
bring unwanted issues.
Also of note, a firearm with ammunition on it e.g. one of those buttstock shell
holders is considered loaded.
GP640 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2013, 10:26 AM   #41
High Country Herb
Adventure Connoiseur

Quote:
Originally Posted by H96669 View Post
I see...not many familiar with the Canadian gun laws. This BTW is legal in Canada, a little more of a sting than a Hornet but never mind the accuracy.

As for the paperwork, sure it is possible to bring a gun into Canada. Just remember that it is at the full discretion of the CBSA agents if they let you into the country or not.Paperwork or not, the real test will be at the border.
I think shotguns must have a minimum 18" barrel in the USA, so that would only be legal in Canada.

Quote:
Originally posted by GP640
Remember that the National parks require firearms to be disassembled and locked away.
No matter what the problem, use or display of a firearm in a National Park will
bring unwanted issues.
That's different from US National Parks, where the rules default to the state the park is located.

It seems to be pretty tough to find a gun suitable for both countries, which is why most prefer bear spray in a holster.

It seems like a standard length 12 gauge in a locking motorcycle scabbard might work, with a few slugs in your pocket. At National Parks, I guess you would need to remove the barrel and lock all the parts in the scabbard. You wouldn't want to make the scabbard too obvious, since I don't get the feeling Canadians are comfortable with guns on display, but I wouldn't recommend completely hiding it either, as that would raise hackles at the border. Fine line there between modesty and concealment.
Old 06-19-2013, 12:47 PM   #42
H96669
A proud pragmatist.

Quote:
I think shotguns must have a minimum 18" barrel in the USA, so that would only be legal in Canada.
That's right but still "a" nice toy for the Canadians. I don't think much for the accuracy, would much rather have the shorter Mossy with me altough you are right,we aren't very comfortable with displays of firearms. Not needed anyway.

As for the ammo in the pocket.....not sure about that. I think the law says that it has to be locked separately from the firearms. I did clean up the house lately.
Old 06-19-2013, 12:55 PM   #43
_cy_
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by H96669 View Post

there's lots of 18.5in barrel shottys out there ... but very few compact as M6 scout and weight 4.5lbs.

really didn't want to add another 15+ lbs to my load ...
Old 06-19-2013, 03:24 PM   #44
Str8lin
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 484
Get a can, the big can, of Counter Assault, used by backcountry rangers in Yellowstone and Tetons. Can buy it and the holster at REI.

I kayak BC alot, remote locations, every paddler packs a can once we get to shore. Will put a human into respiratory arrest...... kick ass stuff.
Old 06-20-2013, 04:07 AM   #45
Chat Lunatique
ACK

Oddometer: 995
Quote:
Is it shotguns and rimfire (.22) only in Canada, or are hunting rifles such as 30-06 also allowed? What about semi-automatic deer rifles with small magazines of say 4 shots? I assume there is some sort of paperwork that must be completed prior to entering your country?

A Browning BAR chambered in 30-06 or 300 Win Mag, shortened to about 26.5" would be pretty good for hunting in Alaska, yet easily carried on a motorcycle.
Canada Guns 101

Guns are popular in Canada, just a hell of a lot more restrictions than our US buddies are used to. A few regs that apply to Canuks and importers (you).

1. Barrel lenth - Min. 18.5" measured to the breech face

2. Overall length - Min. 26" overall rigid or 26" if it can be fired folded

3. Mag Capacity - 5 rounds in a semi auto mag, center fire (if you can cram in a sixth with pressure, you are fubar cuz it is now a prohibited weapon. Penalties are the same as for full auto). Ten round mags max for rimfire.

4. No bullpups

5. Must carry unloaded, locked (trigger or case)and out of view in/on vehicle. Ammo best kept separated so if stolen, rat bastard can't use on the spot.

6. Yeah, a shortened BAR would be the ticket if you were going out doing mineral exploration in deep bush for an extended time. Border security will have to be convinced you really need it or you will be picking it up on the return trip. You will have a hard time convincing a border official who camps, hikes, canoes, etc. in the bush with no firearm, that you need one on your motorcycle.

7. How to import - http://www.cbsa-asfc.gc.ca/publicati...sf5044-eng.pdf

8. Guys...it can be done but there are many hassles if you are not coming here to hunt during hunting season. Our border guys see people coming in with guns in the same way Homeland Secuity sees someone from the Mid-East. Trouble until proven otherwise. Different countries, different fears.