Old 06-16-2013, 07:44 PM   #16
Plaka
Brevis illi vita est

Oddometer: 4,452
Quote:
Originally Posted by ME 109 View Post
What can't be read about that plug?
Bad shit is happening in there.
However, if he doesn't ride the bike it won't wear any further.
My point was, bad shit is happening starting day one. The thing is wearing out. What matters is how fast and how much you got left.

If you clean that plug every 500mi. you will never see much on it and can live in the fools paradise of thinking the thing is not wearing. Or you can not clean it for 50,000mi and it'll look like that but it isn't any more, or less worn, than any other box at 50,000 which is to say you got another 50,000 left.

If you don't change the oil, (and fill with the right stuff) clean the plug, keep water out, shift with some competence and get a bit lucky, then the box will wear out much quicker. So if our OP is Sam the Stomper when it comes to shifting, figures clutches are optional (and it's dragging anyway), just got to checking that tranny at 60k....

But he didn't provide enough info, as Bill mentioned, to really say much.

--------------------

I agree, the RSs here are slow compared to the sport bikes. But look at 1983. Hans Muth did a styling job for Suzuki of Germany. But he's still our boy. The early Katana line..and you can see some R65LS in them. The Suz. GS1000 made 108 HP. out of the same 998cc you got. The GSX750S made 79 HP.---compared to your 69.5, and it didn't give up a lot to the inefficiencies in the shaft like you have to. 511lbs dry. You have 507Lbs wet. So the 750 matches your weight and has 10 more HP, the 1000 38 more HP. And I'd add a 5HP advantage for both for the chain (at least).

A more modern small sportbike, like the Kawasaki ninja (ZX6R) was putting out 110HP by 2000. Also with a chain. 40-45 HP more than you got.

You ever ride one of those suckers?
Plaka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2013, 07:58 PM   #17
brittrunyon
R 100 GS F 650 GS

Oddometer: 444
Quote:
Originally Posted by Patrick C Buckl View Post
That is exactly what I needed to see, that looks about same as mine so I need to get shopping or rebuilding.

Thank you.
Your welcome..............................

My Motorcycle Videos & More @ http://vimeo.com/user2721333
No Rules Photography @ http://brittrunyon.com/
brittrunyon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2013, 08:01 PM   #18
ME 109
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,579
Quote:
Originally Posted by Plaka View Post

You ever ride one of those suckers?
Not a 600. Most powerful bike for me was a kwaka zzr1100 pretty sure that's what it was called.
Man did that motor. Only rode it once for about 60 miles when I swapped bikes on a run.
I could feel every stone on the road through the front brake lever.
There were two ducs on the run, a 906 and a 907. They did not have a hope in hell of catching me.

But that was more open country than where I choose to hunt sports bikes :-)
Old 06-17-2013, 05:17 AM   #19
darklight79
scaffold builder

Oddometer: 403
Pics of

my drain plug. ? Really thats kind of personal ..my dimples attract all kinds of particles . Sometimes this scares me
darklight79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2013, 06:43 AM   #20
Pokie
Just plain Pokie.

Oddometer: 569
Clean the plug, put it back with a new crush ring and fill the tranny with oil. get back on the bike and ride it, stop worrying. The transmission will let you know when something is going bad,.... it will tell you.
Pokie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2013, 07:18 AM   #21
patrkbukly OP
52 Weeks of warm

Oddometer: 530
Now thats the confidence

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pokie View Post
Clean the plug, put it back with a new crush ring and fill the tranny with oil. get back on the bike and ride it, stop worrying. The transmission will let you know when something is going bad,.... it will tell you.
I am looking for.

Besides I would be heading toward Colorado from here anyway as I cant really go South from here.
Old 06-17-2013, 09:17 AM   #22
Plaka
Brevis illi vita est

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patrick C Buckl View Post
I am looking for.

Besides I would be heading toward Colorado from here anyway as I cant really go South from here.
of course there is a difference between letting you know by popping out of second a lot (ride on, gently and pull at first opportunity) and letting you know by a bearing breaking up grenading the rest of the box (stop and pick up the pieces, tow it, spend a lot of money for another one).

I had a land Rover transmission do the breaking up bearing thing. Rear layshft bearing went, the shaft then dropped down and engaged reverse (a strait cut gear) while it was under power. it sounded like a cannon going off under the floor. Hardened shaft as big as my forearm snapped in half, teeth ripped off a couple gears. Those trannys come out from the inside, so you take the roof and a door off, then the seats, seat pan and floor panels, then winch it out. middle of winter, working in the driveway and spending every dime I made.

I reccomend you get yourself a mechanics stethoscope. Any auto parts place, cost ya $10 or so. Very handy. Then do the clean plug, fresh washer and oil thing. Then fire it on the centerstand and run it through the gears with the rear end propped up real, real good. (Or a buddy on the kill switch). Listen at various points on the tranny and see if you hear anything bad. Whine is OK but indicates more wear. Grinding or gritty noises are bad. Anything that sounds like some balls in the bearings have chunks missing...Stop running it and you may be able to salvage it without a lot of cost. If in doubt have any good manual transmission mechanic listen to it.

Also never hurts to drain the oil again if it don't sound good through the stethoscope and see what new has appeared on the plug. Oil is cheap. There should be very little if anything. If you see lots of shiny (as in chrome on one surface) flakes, park it. Bearings and seals aren't too bad. Shafts and gears will take your lunch money, all of it.
Old 06-18-2013, 09:54 AM   #23
patrkbukly OP
52 Weeks of warm

Shards of fun

Ok...update,
pulled the tranny last night and sent off to Brunos in Canada for a complete overhaul, cir clip, etc etc.

Stay tuned, I am referred to him with good reviews, I will let you all know.

Says if he has it July 1st he will get it back in 1 week.

Old 06-18-2013, 09:55 AM   #24
patrkbukly OP
52 Weeks of warm

In my pickup on way to Post Office

PRE-PACKING

patrkbukly screwed with this post 06-18-2013 at 10:44 AM
patrkbukly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2013, 11:12 AM   #25
Houseoffubar
fine beer sampler

Oddometer: 1,740
What is with the pasting quotes that are not even from the thread your in Plaka?

As has been mentioned several times, rub the shavings in your fingers. If they are fine like paste, not chips, and grit, you may be fine.
I have never seen a bike with a magnetic drain plug, that did not have some of this. I have been a mechanic for over twenty years, so I have seen a lot of drain plugs.
Best of luck!
Old 06-18-2013, 11:36 AM   #26
driggles
Adventurer

Oddometer: 39
[QUOTE=Plaka;21656532]No, because I can't photograph through my scopes. I usually waft a little brake cleaner across it to get the oil off then put the whole plug under a scope at 70X.QUOTE]

No offense, I love airheads as much as the next poster, but this seems a little....obsessive, no?
driggles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2013, 11:39 AM   #27
Plaka
Brevis illi vita est

Quote:
Originally Posted by Houseoffubar View Post
What is with the pasting quotes that are not even from the thread your in Plaka?

/snip
????
Lost me.

Where?
Old 06-18-2013, 11:57 AM   #28
ozmoses
Ride On

Oddometer: 1,986
[QUOTE=driggles;21672582]
Quote:
No, because I can't photograph through my scopes. I usually waft a little brake cleaner across it to get the oil off then put the whole plug under a scope at 70X.QUOTE]

No offense, I love airheads as much as the next poster, but this seems a little....obsessive, no?

LOL!

I blame the type 247 motor design- with those jugs sticking out it is just begging to be taken apart to get at deus ex machina, from there it's a slippery slope down!

Honestly, unless it's a major catastrophe, I enjoy puttering around with an airhead as much as I do puttering around on one!

OP-an ounce of prevention,etc. With any luck you are riding it in a few weeks w/ peace of mind.

ozmoses screwed with this post 06-18-2013 at 01:52 PM
ozmoses is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2013, 12:05 PM   #29
Plaka
Brevis illi vita est

[QUOTE=driggles;21672582]
Quote:
No, because I can't photograph through my scopes. I usually waft a little brake cleaner across it to get the oil off then put the whole plug under a scope at 70X.QUOTE]

No.

I usually have a B&L Stereozoom 7 set up on a Toolmakers stand in the living room. I use it like other people use a toaster or coffee maker---standard household appliance. looking at a drainplug is trivial.

Now going and buying such gear just to look at a plug would be a little over the top. Buying a little plastic scope or a good loupe would be more appropriate. I have both out in the shop and they are seeing use as the big scope is still packed from the move. Having some tools that extend your senses, mostly vision and hearing, in your toolbox, can be extremely useful.