Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Trip Planning > Americas
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-18-2013, 11:25 AM   #16291
PirateJohn
Banned

Oddometer: 22,219
Got a message through Facebook that an anchor is a common symbol for hope, peace, and prosperity.

Now you know ...

Thanks Amigo!
PirateJohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2013, 12:25 PM   #16292
MikeMike
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,189
Mark, I thought I was the only guy on here who bad read that HCB piece.
You are obviously a man of fine taste and excellent breeding.
To your health!
MikeMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2013, 01:59 PM   #16293
D K
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 463
FWIW, ive been in Mexico over a year now and nowhere, and I mean nowhere has it been a problem wearing shorts.

D
’08 950SE - sold
’09 FE570 - sold
D K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2013, 03:08 PM   #16294
PirateJohn
Banned

Humorous essay on the subject of old gringos wearing shorts in Mexico. The author compares shorts to a codpiece and tights. -

http://www.brassawe.com/2012/10/short-pants_23.html

I assume this is the author, who lives in Mexico. SMA evidently.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD
Old 06-18-2013, 03:25 PM   #16295
mark883
Holding up Michoagán

Oddometer: 1,582
Maybe I'm not from Texas, but is it acceptable to wear cowboy boots with shorts? Or is that crossing some sort of line like black dress socks w/ sandals and shorts? I kinda hate that sticky leathery feel on bare leg... I'm grateful that I can rely on ISM for fashion tips. The pissing match that seems to be floating beneath these tips only adds to the entertainment value.
mark883 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2013, 04:04 PM   #16296
MikeMike
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,189
I can honestly say, with great pride, that I have run naked down a busy street in cowboy boots.
I don't recommend it in Mexico, however. Toronto in the early '80s was a fun town. I cut a far more dashing figure 30 years ago.

Ok, so if anyone is still reading LOL!
Schizz, it is looking like your present side of el pais will be drier than here. If you feel the need to log long miles in winds and heavy rain, by all means come on over!
It is going to start raining tonight supposedly and stop some time in November.
MikeMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2013, 04:59 PM   #16297
Bato
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 908
[QUOTE=SchizzMan;21668518]Thanks Mike!

Here's some random street shots taken during my after-dinner walk this evening.

Hope you find an EXXON gas station...... Amigo!
Bato is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2013, 05:35 PM   #16298
Pedro Navaja
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,525
Quote:
Originally Posted by airdale7 View Post
You sure take alot of pics of men in shorts! Is there something we should know....

JK...
This is why he travels with trice

Pedro Navaja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2013, 05:38 PM   #16299
Pedro Navaja
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,525
Quote:
Originally Posted by dwj - Donnie View Post
Looks like my trip will be substantially altered. I just found out that my 86 year old father was diagnosed with brain cancer! I am currently in south Mexico, about 2,200 miles from home. I will sit tight for a day or so, awaiting an estimate from Hospice as to how much time he may have left! At 86 years old, we knew that his time was limited, but we did not expect it to be from brain cancer!
Sorry to hear that Donnie. God bless.

Mike

Pedro Navaja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2013, 06:49 PM   #16300
bingo43
¡Que Viva!

Oddometer: 224
I'm sorry to hear that.

Quote:
Looks like my trip will be substantially altered. I just found out that my 86 year old father was diagnosed with brain cancer! I am currently in south Mexico, about 2,200 miles from home. I will sit tight for a day or so, awaiting an estimate from Hospice as to how much time he may have left! At 86 years old, we knew that his time was limited, but we did not expect it to be from brain cancer!
Hey Donnie. I'm sorry to hear about that. I hope things work out for the best. I'm here in Lazaro Cardenas staying at Hector's place. He calls the room where we are staying above the shop "donnie's room" It's pretty funny. He thinks the world of you. It's always Donnie this...and Donnie that. very cool. I'm glade My son and I had a chance to hang out with him. I'll post a pic of us. We're going out do dinner. Took a day trip to Zihuatanejo today to hit the beach and bought a huge hammock. This is beautiful country here and Hector says hardly anyone ever comes to visit. The libre between Uruapan and here almost kicked our butt. 5 straight hours of twists and turns. Up hills and down mountains. A complete dream come true. Hopefully you can still make it here on your way back...Hector and his son are looking forward to it.
bingo43 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2013, 08:55 PM   #16301
SchizzMan
pronounced `skiz-man

Oddometer: 7,945
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeMike View Post
I can honestly say, with great pride, that I have run naked down a busy street in cowboy boots.
I don't recommend it in Mexico, however. Toronto in the early '80s was a fun town. I cut a far more dashing figure 30 years ago.

Schizz, it is looking like your present side of el pais will be drier than here. If you feel the need to log long miles in winds and heavy rain, by all means come on over!
Thanks Mike.

The weather is here. Wish you were great.

Will get down there later this year. Ojala que si.

"As long as there's a horizon and I can see it, then I want to know what's there, mentally, physically and visually" - rtwpaul
SchizzMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2013, 09:06 PM   #16302
SchizzMan
pronounced `skiz-man

Oddometer: 7,945
Quote:
Sorry Donnie.

You'll want to avoid the east coast of Mexico for the next week or so due to weather.

I have a spare room with a comfortable bed in Austin if you need to rest on your way home.

"As long as there's a horizon and I can see it, then I want to know what's there, mentally, physically and visually" - rtwpaul
SchizzMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2013, 10:54 PM   #16303
PirateJohn
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by mark883 View Post
Maybe I'm not from Texas, but is it acceptable to wear cowboy boots with shorts? Or is that crossing some sort of line like black dress socks w/ sandals and shorts? I kinda hate that sticky leathery feel on bare leg... I'm grateful that I can rely on ISM for fashion tips. The pissing match that seems to be floating beneath these tips only adds to the entertainment value.
It's a nuance thing that some of these guys don't understand. Plenty of oilfield workers in the desert towns wear boots and shorts, but the locals hate it.

Let's put it this way. You do that in Carrizo Springs and the local girls won't talk to you but the professional girls will ask you to buy them drinks.

Ditto shorts at a Mexican restaurant that has families where the men are wearing ties.

And just to put this into perspective, out here in the oil patch I wear shorts all the time. As a gate guard I am the only one on the pad who can get away with it. When I go to resort/coastal Mexico I may or may not wear shorts. But it marks (sorry!) as the stereotypical gringo tourist.

Which we are all up to a point.

ADDED:

Mark, let's put it this way ... Trice in his shorts at a restaurant that is obviously at least semi-formal is the equivalent of a European wearing a nut hugging bathing suit on a US beach. It's not illegal, and if everyone is friendly it's comically forgiven, but it's still an Ugly American thing.

Just as an aside, you guys wouldn't believe the amount of emails that I have gotten back channel over the whole Trice/Schlitz/clique/dissing those of us with lengthier experience thang.

PirateJohn screwed with this post 06-19-2013 at 07:07 AM
Old 06-18-2013, 10:56 PM   #16304
PirateJohn
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeMike View Post

That might be more detail than I want to know but I confess to seriously contemplating a kilt here in the oil patch. Should certainly humble the truck drivers on the wrong pad at 3AM, that's for sure.

Old 06-18-2013, 11:23 PM   #16305
tricepilot
El Gran Payaso

Oddometer: 8,387

SR's 40th birthday

He says "Let's do the Durango Loop"

We did

Epic on a scale to be saved for a ride report

Security Notice: Durango (city) and Durango (state) are safer than your local interstate highway with your texting teens

This was the best day ever on a moto in Mexico.

2 days off until the big off road to the Pacific @ Mazatlán
tricepilot is offline   Reply With Quote