Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Day Trippin'
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-17-2013, 06:16 AM   #16
AZ TOM OP
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,215
When in my 40's, 50's & 60's I would put off a ride for, it's too hot, it's too cold, it's too far, i'm too tired, I need a better bike But at 72 you begin to think, how many more opportunities will I have, so I try & plan accordingly. Have much confidence in my bikes 1995 XR650L & 2008 WR250R. Have a little mech. skill accumulated over the years & some great friends that after a couple days would come looking for me Always invite others to join me on these rides but if no takers I go solo & really what's the worst thing that can happen?
AZ TOM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2013, 06:57 AM   #17
RZRob
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,011
Thanks for sharing. I guess I'd feel more comfortable if I was with someone out there.

RZ Rob
RZRob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2013, 11:17 AM   #18
mefadv
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 593
Quote:
Originally Posted by Starbuck21 View Post
Great ride report, thanks for sharing. Not many people would undertake a trip like that solo (I am another one). People don't realize how relaxing a solo trip can be, not worrying about who wants to go where and who needs to stop when etc.

Yes riding with others has advantages too but sometimes it is just nice to clear your head and GO!!!

I totally agree with the solo riding ! ! !
Old 06-17-2013, 11:34 AM   #19
mefadv
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 593
Quote:
Originally Posted by AZ TOM View Post
When in my 40's, 50's & 60's I would put off a ride for, it's too hot, it's too cold, it's too far, i'm too tired, I need a better bike But at 72 you begin to think, how many more opportunities will I have, so I try & plan accordingly. Have much confidence in my bikes 1995 XR650L & 2008 WR250R. Have a little mech. skill accumulated over the years & some great friends that after a couple days would come looking for me Always invite others to join me on these rides but if no takers I go solo & really what's the worst thing that can happen?

DAMN, Tom a 439 mile "day" is more like an endurance ride. Hell my ass is sore, knees a knock'n and thigh's burn'n... just think'n about it! ... and I'm several years short of your age.

Tom... I agree with your thinking... re/opportunities. Having confidence in your riding skills and bike make solo travel much easier.

Looks like a great trip. Thank you for taking us along.
Old 06-17-2013, 11:50 AM   #20
AZ TOM OP
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by mefadv View Post
DAMN, Tom a 439 mile "day" is more like an endurance ride. Hell my ass is sore, knees a knock'n and thigh's burn'n... just think'n about it! ... and I'm several years short of your age.

Tom... I agree with your thinking... re/opportunities. Having confidence in your riding skills and bike make solo travel much easier.

Looks like a great trip. Thank you for taking us along.
Just a matter of mind set & an XR65L Barkalounger couch
Old 06-17-2013, 04:58 PM   #21
kojack06
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 216
Quote:
Originally Posted by Starbuck21 View Post
Great ride report, thanks for sharing. Not many people would undertake a trip like that solo (I am another one). People don't realize how relaxing a solo trip can be, not worrying about who wants to go where and who needs to stop when etc.

Yes riding with others has advantages too but sometimes it is just nice to clear your head and GO!!!
Couldnt have said it better!
kojack06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2013, 06:45 PM   #22
refokus
Just Learning

Oddometer: 2,086
Nice write up and pics Tom!
Old 06-18-2013, 05:43 PM   #23
DurtKlod
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,166
Wow. How many times have you done that loop now? When you and I did that loop back in September, I was ready to call it a day at Gray Mountain. Good to see you're still riding hard. I got worried when you were thinking of selling the little bike.
Old 06-18-2013, 05:48 PM   #24
AZ TOM OP
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by DurtKlod View Post
Wow. How many times have you done that loop now? When you and I did that loop back in September, I was ready to call it a day at Gray Mountain. Good to see you're still riding hard. I got worried when you were thinking of selling the little bike.
Went counter clockwise this time, hate to get in a rut Was going to try & get down to one bike but can't imagine life without either one Fire started in Dosie Pit almost 2,000 & growing up here to the north west. Not good. Lots of animals in harms way
Old 06-18-2013, 06:03 PM   #25
NSFW
ktm's "the tourist"

Oddometer: 15,491
damn....this is one marathon ride. you're an animal.

i love to ride and enjoy the outdoors; never take anything for granted. my goal is ride at least 2 weekends in a month and at least 100 miles/ride. then, do 3 one-week riding in a year and go somewhere far.

thanks tom for the inspiration.
NSFW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2013, 06:58 PM   #26
AZ TOM OP
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by NSFW View Post
damn....this is one marathon ride. you're an animal.

i love to ride and enjoy the outdoors; never take anything for granted. my goal is ride at least 2 weekends in a month and at least 100 miles/ride. then, do 3 one-week riding in a year and go somewhere far.

thanks tom for the inspiration.
Thanks Joel I always try & show the before & after ODO shots so you know it's for real
Old 06-18-2013, 08:35 PM   #27
azredline
Wobbly Adventurer

Oddometer: 391
Nice!

Very nice report and pics. Thanks for posting.

A 400+ day on an XRL with lots of dirt roads is a pretty dang good ride. Well done!
Old 06-19-2013, 04:13 PM   #28
kojack06
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 216
Heard about the Prescott AZ forest fire on the radio while returning from Waco. Hope you are ok AZ Tom.
kojack06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2013, 05:03 PM   #29
AZ TOM OP
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by kojack06 View Post
Heard about the Prescott AZ forest fire on the radio while returning from Waco. Hope you are ok AZ Tom.
Thanks, I am on the opposite side of town from it, but have a friend coming back from a vacation that is in the closed off area. He has many restored vintage Harley's & Indians & doubts they will let him into the area where he lives. Not good & so far no real containment. Wind is really making it tough.
Old 06-23-2013, 07:56 PM   #30
MufflerBearings
Adventurer

Oddometer: 86
Looks like great territory; thanks for the report. Also, long live solo rides - no waiting, no whining, no worrying.

A KLR RIDES (to) THE BAJA 500 (to spectate)! - http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=893347
MufflerBearings is offline   Reply With Quote