Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Orange Crush
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-21-2012, 12:42 PM   #31
Somber
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 348
Front seems ok offroad, on road my bike would set up a predisposition to headshake/ high speed wobble that wouldn't go away completely no matter how I adjusted my suspension, never had this issue with any other front tire on my bike (knobbie or otherwise). I realize there are a ton of factors that play into this but all I can offer is that the front of my bike is less planted at high speed slab riding with a Kenda BB than any other tire I've had on my 990R Adv. YMMV
Somber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2012, 08:25 AM   #32
gsxr1k
n00b

Oddometer: 9
Any new opinions? Ive got a Buell Ulysses with a 17" front. I was thinking of trying the 130 rear on the front. I'd like to line up all my offroad tire options. This one and the TKC are the only ones Ive heard of.

gsxr1k screwed with this post 02-24-2012 at 08:49 AM
gsxr1k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2012, 02:25 PM   #33
bigdave-gs
Explorer

Oddometer: 2,297
We ran the Kenda Big Blocks on our GS Adentures and they did really well in the dirt but were worn slick by 1000 miles. Still looking for the knoby tire that will out last the TKC. We also tried the K60 Scout tire and although it lasted longer than both the TKC and the Big Blocks, they let go on pavement while corning hard very abruptly and without warning. Major pucker factor. One inmate went down hard when his rear suddenly let go in a corner that he had been around many times before on Tourance with no problems.

Currently riding a 2004 R1150GS Adv. but a very long list of others over the 30 + + years of riding
bigdave-gs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2012, 04:42 AM   #34
steve Trimm
Adventurer

Oddometer: 16
Fitted one to the rear on the se,only lasted 400km.

dont feel confident on the tar either.waste of time and money
steve Trimm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2012, 11:57 AM   #35
Dustodust
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 775
Big Block 21" front

currently have a MEFO on the rear and a Big Block on the front

'the front Big Block is dissapointing and relatively unsafe after 1000 miles of testing IMO

I had high hopes for it, It had all the desired characteristics on the rack : reasonable price, large profile, big stout low block knobs , stiff beefy sidewalls

However , the handling is terrible off road , on road is "just ok" as long as the tire pressure is over 25 psi. But still it is a scary dangerous tire because it "pings" off of lines instead of crawling up,. and also pings horribly off of rocks even with the ecellent Trailtricks suspension and air bleeders (606 does not) which could be disaster on or off road

When the tire pressure is lower it behaves badly and squirms like a flat tire . On a Death Valley ride on Amargosa Plain I had to stop several times and bump up the pressure because it feels flat,, rolling off of everything and forcing the handlebars when the pressure is under 20psi, when I bump the pressure up to where it doesnt act flat it goes squirting off of rocks and ruts out of control

wear seems to be very good but that just prolongs the agony and danger, I can deal with it till it wears out but prefer the 606 behavior

It seems like the cords are wrapped wrong or something ?,

unlike the Dunlop 606 which handles excellent in all conditions and tire pressures, but wears very fast

I cant wait for it to wear out and go back to the overpriced quick wearing 606 before I get killed by this Big Block

or the TKC 80 front which also wears fast for the price but it also squirms a bit on road when run low pressure but it is OK off road low pressure (similar to the handling of the Karoo which sucks all around )

squirmy/ pinging Big Block looks good but not doing very well on high speed long distance Nevada Desert High plains dirt back roads

xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

MEFO, same ride, taking on the Dumont Dunes barely showing wear at 2000 + miles, excellent all around

Dustodust screwed with this post 02-29-2012 at 12:06 PM
Dustodust is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2012, 12:41 PM   #36
Nailhead
Painting by numbers

Oddometer: 5,964
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dustodust View Post
But still it is a scary dangerous tire because it "pings" off of lines instead of crawling up,. and also pings horribly off of rocks...
What exactly do you mean by "ping" in this context?

'7? Benelli 650S, '80 BMW R100 RS, '07 KTM 990 Adventure
Nailhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2012, 01:44 PM   #37
stevodadevo
What happened?

Oddometer: 177
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nailhead View Post
What exactly do you mean by "ping" in this context?
I think he means "deflects". Could be wrong though.
stevodadevo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2012, 01:32 PM   #38
4badboyz
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 585
I spooned on a set before I left for the Trans Labrador run last fall. These pics are 12 days and 6,200kms later

Moab 2012
James Bay Road. What could go wrong...
4badboyz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2012, 03:32 PM   #39
Nailhead
Painting by numbers

Oddometer: 5,964
Quote:
Originally Posted by stevodadevo View Post
I think he means "deflects". Could be wrong though.
Thanks.

"Ping" means spark knock to me.

'7? Benelli 650S, '80 BMW R100 RS, '07 KTM 990 Adventure
Nailhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2013, 07:35 PM   #40
go2cnavy
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 480
Had to revive an old thread. I could probably post this in a general forum, but thought the OC was the best place since the comparison included to identical bikes, taking identical lines, with VASTLY different results.

Backstory:

While preparing for the 2013 Roaming Rally in Canada - 3 days/1000kms - I was undecided about tire choices. The terrain would include lots of slab, sand, water crossings, mud, rocks, and gravel. Start here to see the pics from the ride
I had read about the Terraflex and all of the complaints of it not lasting and having terrible road manners. Well that is not the case.

Fellow ADVr AKAROB and I were both riding 990s. He was running a Terraflex rear and MT 16 front.

He left for the Ralley from Connecticut a week before me and road in the Redneck Rendezvous. By the time he got to the RR the Terraflex was well scrubbed in.

He did complain that during the initial scrub-in period the road mannners were, well...it had none. It wobbled and was squirly. However, after its had squared up a bit, the tire was UNSTOPPABLE in any situation.

On the other hand, my Kendas were great on the road, decent in hard pack,okay in the sand, fair in the rocks, BUT AWFUL IN THE MUD. THEY DO NOT CLEAR.

The pictures below compare the Terraflex / MT 16 combo vs. Kenda BBs.

Terraflex/MT 16

Kenda BBs

990A / 450 EXC R/ 250 EXC/ 450R - for sale
go2cnavy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2013, 05:59 PM   #41
what car??
down the road

Oddometer: 354
I tried these tires back in the states and was a bit disappointed with the wear of them. These are the only tires I found here in Guatemala and I don't think their going to last the trip back to the states. In dirt and rocks their not bad, though they are the only knobbies that I have tried thus far. I love the Mefo tires my faves!! I think in the future I'll try other knobbies to see the differences in them. I did read an article that they are planning on changing the compound to provide some longevity. I am curious if they have and what the results are.
what car?? is offline   Reply With Quote