Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > Australia
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-18-2013, 08:18 AM   #46
DS Rider
Adventurer

Oddometer: 70
Here, i found a post from another guy who's done pretty much exactly the same thing, but he used tape. I've just quoted his post from another thread to save me taking my own photos.

Quote:
Originally Posted by KnuckC View Post
Here are some pics of my fix:

The tape is temporary until I find something more permanent but you can't see it at all when wearing the helmet.
DS Rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2013, 07:53 PM   #47
mantel34
n00b

Oddometer: 6
DS Rider,

I have to smile.. just finished testing the same build as both you and your friend made... and I have to say it works pretty darn good.

There's still some noise left, but I'd say it's a 90% solution. Definitely better and livable now.

Ken
mantel34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2013, 08:35 PM   #48
Reeksy
high state of hiatus

Oddometer: 863
Jeez, it sounds like they're charging $800 for a build your own kit from this thread!

Someone should email the Arai marketing department the link to this and see if they're impressed

Reeksy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2013, 01:35 AM   #49
Scotty4x4 OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 132
Quote:
Originally Posted by ReeksyOfOz View Post
Jeez, it sounds like they're charging $800 for a build your own kit from this thread!

Someone should email the Arai marketing department the link to this and see if they're impressed

That's great above. I seem to have got use to mine abit now. But when I stand up I remember quickly how annoying it is.

I contacted the seller they couldn't give a shit, contacted there supply and they said it wasn't there issue, and then email arai a few Times saying how many people were complaining online about it. Never got a reply
Scotty4x4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2013, 02:49 AM   #50
DS Rider
Adventurer

Yeah, its probably not the best design but its got to be hard to make it work perfectly for everybody. Some bikes dont do it, some are bad some not so. I havent heard of anyone having trouble with vibration in clean air though. Before i fixed mine, i had to ride standing up if i was going more than 40kph, that or take the trail bike.
Also, its not exclusive to Arai, other peaked helmets have the same trouble sometimes as well. Shoei hornets included (even with their 3 mounting points on the peak)
Old 06-19-2013, 06:55 PM   #51
Keating
pre-n00b

Oddometer: 184
Just curious how you folks have the peak adjusted.
My XD4 is noisy, but just regular windnoise, no whistle.
I keep the peak adjusted "down" as far as possible.
There isn't much space between the helmet and the back of the peak as shown in the earlier pics with the foam tape.
Keating is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2013, 06:19 AM   #52
mantel34
n00b

Oddometer: 6
I didn't know the angle of the peak was adjustable? My peak is stock and looks just like the one in the picture.

Also... I drove the last 10 % of the noise out. I did it by securing the trailing edge of the peak to the helmet by wedging two small blocks of wood between the peak and the helmet (left side and right side) just big enough to take all the flex out of the peek. Now, based on the steel rod bonded around the front and sides of the peek and the trailing edge secured to the helmet body, the peek is very rigid. Now that it works, time to replace the wood shims with something that looks decent.

The helmet is quiet now. Still makes normal wind noise.. but no more of the howling.
mantel34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2013, 06:28 AM   #53
DS Rider
Adventurer

next step is to build a small scaffold or trellis frame under the peak and add a few pullys and levers for the ultimate in beer can holding, automated earmuff positioning luxury.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mantel34 View Post
I didn't know the angle of the peak was adjustable? My peak is stock and looks just like the one in the picture.

Also... I drove the last 10 % of the noise out. I did it by securing the trailing edge of the peak to the helmet by wedging two small blocks of wood between the peak and the helmet (left side and right side) just big enough to take all the flex out of the peek. Now, based on the steel rod bonded around the front and sides of the peek and the trailing edge secured to the helmet body, the peek is very rigid. Now that it works, time to replace the wood shims with something that looks decent.

The helmet is quiet now. Still makes normal wind noise.. but no more of the howling.

DS Rider screwed with this post 06-20-2013 at 06:49 AM
Old 06-22-2013, 02:11 PM   #54
Keating
pre-n00b

Oddometer: 184
If you loosen the screws that clamp the visor and peak on, the front of the peak adjusts up/down about 2".

Quote:
Originally Posted by mantel34 View Post
Keating is offline   Reply With Quote