ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > The perfect line and other riding myths
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

View Results: What phone has the best GPS?
iphone 20 19.23%
android 41 39.42%
windows 5 4.81%
Quit being so cheap and buy a gps 38 36.54%
Voters: 104. You may not vote on this poll

Old 06-18-2013, 06:35 PM   #16
car94
What's this Box for?

Oddometer: 2,906
Cool2 The right tool is always the right tool!

The new Samsung Galaxy S-4.

is a phone! it works about as good as a GPS as a phone! It is also a Camera. It works about as good as a Phone as a Camera
Old 06-18-2013, 07:26 PM   #17
BobPS
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 189
Currently I use iphone 4 with motionX GPS and tomtom for iphone. I really like these two apps and haven't have a need to buy a GPS.
BobPS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2013, 11:24 PM   #18
tshelver
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 564
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobnoxious67 View Post
I respectfully disagree...my waterproof Garmin 76csx hasn't gotten used in years since I put my iphone 4 into a Lifeproof case (waterproof). Way faster and easier to move around the maps, way easier to download and store maps, way more free map choices (satelite to robust topo)...I find using my phone far more robust and convenient while being just as weatherproof.
Compare your phone to a Garmin Montana, not the old 76. I have both those GPS units, and have been using phones as a backup since the days of Windows 6.
The 76 is a clunky old unit that's long past it's sell-by date.

Currently I'm running an Android phone, been using Google maps and a few other programs as well.

The Montana also has a wide variety of maps that can be downloaded.
I used mine with no Garmin maps at all in SE Asia.

One thing, battery life and mounts. The Montana goes 16 hours on the rechargeable lithium, and you can use AAs if that runs out of power for an additional 16 hours.

No need for otterboxes or anything else that affects the interface / usability, I use the GPS wile I'm riding and hated the otterboxes I tried.

The Garmin bike mount is pretty solid, no USB connection to wear out like I have had on a phone for bike power.

When I travel, quite often I rent bikes, much easier to get the Montana mounted as 16 hours of battery life means I can ride all day without having to add bike power.

The Montana remains useful off the bike as well. Great GPS for hiking and marine purposes.

You have the option of using marine and waterway maps as well, if you are into things like kayaking.

And the software is still more powerful and user friendly than I can find on a phone.

Plus, the GPS unit is much faster and more sensitive than anything I've seen in a phone, critical if you are navigating a big, built up city.

Sent from my A898 Duo using Tapatalk 4 Beta
'06 Husky TE610 (gone)
tshelver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2013, 01:00 AM   #19
BGil
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 116
My Nokia C5 is really good. Very compact, so you can have it always with you, unlike a GPS.
The maps are good and totally free.
I've been on holiday in Greece 2 years ago, I just downloaded the map for that region before the trip, no need to have the whole world always in your phone.
Also, I think that a Nokia is much more reliable than an IPhone. I may be wrong though, I don't like Apple products so I'm biased.
BGil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2013, 03:44 AM   #20
bobnoxious67
Baby steps...

Oddometer: 2,153
Quote:
Originally Posted by tshelver View Post
Compare your phone to a Garmin Montana, not the old 76. I have both those GPS units, and have been using phones as a backup since the days of Windows 6.
The 76 is a clunky old unit that's long past it's sell-by date.

Currently I'm running an Android phone, been using Google maps and a few other programs as well.

The Montana also has a wide variety of maps that can be downloaded.
I used mine with no Garmin maps at all in SE Asia.

One thing, battery life and mounts. The Montana goes 16 hours on the rechargeable lithium, and you can use AAs if that runs out of power for an additional 16 hours.

No need for otterboxes or anything else that affects the interface / usability, I use the GPS wile I'm riding and hated the otterboxes I tried.

The Garmin bike mount is pretty solid, no USB connection to wear out like I have had on a phone for bike power.

When I travel, quite often I rent bikes, much easier to get the Montana mounted as 16 hours of battery life means I can ride all day without having to add bike power.

The Montana remains useful off the bike as well. Great GPS for hiking and marine purposes.

You have the option of using marine and waterway maps as well, if you are into things like kayaking.

And the software is still more powerful and user friendly than I can find on a phone.

Plus, the GPS unit is much faster and more sensitive than anything I've seen in a phone, critical if you are navigating a big, built up city.

Sent from my A898 Duo using Tapatalk 4 Beta
My experience is the complete opposite...I find the GPS apps for my phone far faster and more powerful than any GPS I can find, and my "interface" is seamless (as if I don't use a case...the Lifeproof is that good).

And when I'm done recording a track, I can edit it right there if I wish (no clunky hooking-to-the-computer interfacing needed), and instantly share it with whomever I like...and I can be sharing real time locations with other users if I wish (on screen viewing of other people's locations in real time).

I can appreciate you just liking to use a GPS, but there is no GPS that can match a smartphone GPS app for power and features.

Canuman: modern smartphones are "real GPS". There is a real GPS communication chip, and maps can be cached for use in "no cell signal" areas.

I use my old iPhone 4 as my iPod and GPS...no service

01 Girlie
09 TE450
bobnoxious67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2013, 05:14 AM   #21
BryonLewis
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 150
Quote:
Originally Posted by BryonLewis View Post
Galaxy S3 with Otterbox case and slipgrip mount. Google cached maps for all of Adirondacks and Catskils, most of Vermont and White Mtns in New Hampshire. Also used the S3 in the Smoky Mtns with Cached maps.
Wonderful update, this morning a kamikaze bird decided to fly directly into my phone. Shattered the otterbox case, popped the cover off the back and caused the battery to fly out. After finding the phone, cover and battery a few pieces of the otterbox case the phone still started and ran, but the screen has spiderweb cracks all over it.
BryonLewis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2013, 05:51 AM   #22
flei
queasy rider

Oddometer: 362
+'s and -'s

iphone w/ motion x: compact, not redundant, it's a phone! it has apps! it works But, a) you hard to see it, b) you need to have a cell signal (which is VERY iffy here in New England)! I use to look at the map of the "big picture" of where I am going...

Garmin Etrex handheld: compact, "waterproof", great for "off-road", but a) hard to see, b) lousy user interface, c) a pain to download to, d) takes batteries. I use for my off road adventures.

Garmin Nuvi GPS: big screen easy to read, don't need cell signal, but a) not waterproof, b) not too good for "off road", c) big and not as portable.
Old 06-19-2013, 06:06 AM   #23
oregoncoast
Racing Like a Noob

Oddometer: 4,379
Quote:
Originally Posted by flei View Post
iphone w/ motion x: compact, not redundant, it's a phone! it has apps! it works But, a) you hard to see it, b) you need to have a cell signal (which is VERY iffy here in New England)! I use to look at the map of the "big picture" of where I am going...
With motion X you do not need a cell signal if you simply cache the maps. Also, if you want you can use an external Bluetooth gps puck to improve overall performance. I used a wifi only Ipad with a dual gps puck to navigate in Baja....no signal ever. Just cache'd maps and no issues.

I sold a Montana, mostly because I don't really use a gps except for racing...and we get much more use out of the ipad that replaced it. Plus, my iphone is used as a back-up to the ipad in the race car. On a bike though, I'd rather slap my Garmin Oregon on the handlebars rather than risk destroying my phone. Sharing tracks is super easy with Motion X.

oregoncoast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2013, 06:31 AM   #24
Offcamber
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,477
I tried using my android phone but I just didn't like it....I found a dedicated GPS works better for me and I have the phone as a back up if needed. The biggest issue was that Nav is processor hog...the phone would rip though the battery and even plugged in it would get very hot...I'm sure the newer phones handle it better. I haven't tried it with my new Galaxy S3 but I have it as a back up if the GPS fails.
Old 06-19-2013, 05:36 PM   #25
psyco1
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 210
Galaxy Note 2 and it's 5.5" screen.
psyco1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2013, 02:19 AM   #26
ZaethDekar
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 611
I use a Nokia Lumia 920 on AT&T. I have all of North America downloaded and when I am on a long days ride I turn Airplane mode on, turn on GPS and Blutooth and use a blutooth headset.

Nokia uses Navteq.

Here.com is their new mapping website that syncs places between your phone and computer.

I don't have any issues and it has always been accurate for what I have used it for.

I went on a 6 hour ride listening to music and enjoying photos and such and I used all of ~20% of my battery life.

Attached are some photos that I took with the Lumia as well.

ZaethDekar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2013, 12:02 PM   #27
JustRon
ex-broadwayron

Oddometer: 802
Quote:
Originally Posted by tshelver View Post
(snip) The Montana goes 16 hours on the rechargeable lithium
I have to call BS on that. My Montana lasts about 6 hours on the stock Li battery- fully charged. Actually, when I first figured this out, I was pretty pissed that I believed the Garmin marketing regarding battery life. (I have it hardwired on one bike, but have used it on battery power for some other bikes.)
I realize that wasn't the purpose of this thread, but wanted to point out the battery life, in case anyone cares.
Also, the [new] Google Maps on my 4+ year old iPhone (3gs!) draw much faster and recalculate waay faster than my Garmin. And, they are much nicer to look at (although too small to see while riding). But, the Montana's construction is much better for my riding (off-road, mainly). I wished I could have Google Maps in my Montana- that would be ideal for me.
JustRon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2013, 01:05 PM   #28
BC61
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,085
I'm not very app savvy, I have an I phone 4. What gps apps are recommended and work without cell service?

My experience at Dakar 2012 www.bc2dakar.com
BC61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2013, 01:23 PM   #29
OneEffinName
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 394
Quote:
but there is no GPS that can match a smartphone GPS app for power and features.

I found the complete opposite. I really wanted to switch over to a smart phone for GPS, but the lack of decent maps, waterproofness, ruggedness, crappy user interfaces had me go back to the Montana.

Did you try the Montana?
OneEffinName is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2013, 04:26 PM   #30
ErockPDX
Adventurer

Oddometer: 57
I use Garmin GPSs in work trucks for rural responses in a 2200-square-mile county and I hate them...I've found that they're slow to respond, the menus and search functions are unintuitive, and they're slow to register touch. THAT SAID, they are relatively low on the offering totem pole. I have a different Garmin, bare bones, that I use for hiking. My experience with both is that when I get frustrated, I simply use my iPhone 5 with success. I've begun putting topo maps on it for hiking too, and use Theodolite and MotionX.

For these reasons, I have been actively NOT buying a GPS for the bikes...I guess I'm waiting for one to bite me on the ass in the Flea Market or fall into my lap or something. In the meantime I keep being happy with the iPhone 5, cached maps, and a good old paper backup in my tank bag. The only thing I'm having trouble overcoming it the visibility of the iPhone screen with the Lifeproof case in direct sunlight.

I know, whine whine.
ErockPDX is offline   Reply With Quote