Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Racing
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-18-2013, 05:10 AM   #16
exoff-roadgoat OP
Will ride for food

Oddometer: 4,229
Swimming pool! I guess its time to watch episode #2. Average riders? Where do I sign up?
exoff-roadgoat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2013, 09:54 AM   #17
GotMojo?
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,103
Not a bad show at all... way better than most of the moto-related stuff we get on TV. I think its aimed at the casual rider and shows how difficult and dangerous some of this type of riding can be. Navigating those twisty two lane roads in Peru with all the truck traffic ain't exactly safe from what I saw. I've got my DVR set to record the whole series.

And the doctor... yes, some very nice assets all around, especially in the garage (Lotus Elise, Porsche, Ferrari, etc). Business must be good!
GotMojo? is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2013, 10:21 AM   #18
RideAbout
Mentally Retired

Oddometer: 1,630
Hey, it motorcycles on TV, I'm enjoying it. Better than a poke in the eye.

But as Mossy_CK states, I don't think the core ADV riders are it's demographic....it's more for the Golfer/Wine&Cheese/CountryClub crowd that will look at it and exclaim "Wow, they went 6 hours without a comfy chair and an ice-cold brewski!"
Old 06-18-2013, 11:13 AM   #19
BC61
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,126
Quote:
Originally Posted by RideAbout View Post
I don't think the core ADV riders are it's demographic...
Bingo!

There aren't enough road racing fans to have live AMA motorcycle racing on TV much less adventure riders to warrant a show to specifically please them. If a show doesn't appeal to masses it has no chance of getting funding.

My experience at Dakar 2012 www.bc2dakar.com
BC61 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2013, 01:16 PM   #20
Critic
More or less!

Oddometer: 1,236
One more "Reality?" show, that is 90% BMW advertising!
past:BigBear250,T100cs,Savage250s,TS185,DT175,GT550,TY250,XR200/350/250,R75/7,Ft500,RD350,YZ125,KDX175,SP500,K1000rs,DR250,883,S1,ST2,KLX650,KE100,GS1000,Monster,Vstr om1000&650,950adv,625sxc,250SSherpa,530exc,990adv, 690e
Critic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2013, 01:57 PM   #21
mike54
You don't get me

Oddometer: 13,150
If you guys knew how difficult it is to get something like this made and carried on broad cast TV you'd be more grateful.

You can tell that Neale is pushing the connection between first world and third world peoples. That's a lot of what MC travel is about in my mind. Some how the bikes make it easier to connect with people. It seems to me it would be better on something like the Travel Channel but I'm sure it was pitched there too. Thanks to Speed for airing it.
It's a little too much Dr. Laura for me but my GF would disagree. Like the Dr. My GF is primarily a track rider with not a lot of dirt experience under her belt. So she relates to her experience.

To focus on this show as motorcycle related is a mistake. The motorcycles are only incidental to the story. BMW saw a chance for some promotion and they took it. Who's suprised about that?

If you want to see something like Dust to Glory / the Dakar Edition you're probably going to have to get out there and make it yourself. And then go pitch it to every chanel out there until you're sick of it. And when it finally does air we can all sit around and take shots at it.

Do stand up guys lie?
mike54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2013, 03:37 PM   #22
ADK
abluted

Oddometer: 8,175
Quote:
Originally Posted by Critic View Post
So I'm not the only one who noticed. One 2 hr program would have been better, I feel.
ADK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2013, 05:25 PM   #23
IgoFar
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 630
Quote:
Originally Posted by Critic View Post
That's OK, it beats the hell out of The Kardashians or Honey BooBoo.
IgoFar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2013, 06:30 PM   #24
exoff-roadgoat OP
Will ride for food

Oddometer: 4,229
I want too see another Ricky Johnson series like what he had a few years ago. That was sweet!
exoff-roadgoat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2013, 07:12 PM   #25
scootskipper
Motographer

Oddometer: 53
Mike 54...gets it!

Mike, thank you for pointing these things out. And yes, it was pitched to the Travel Channel. This is a show that someone who doesn't even ride a motorcycle can get sucked in to. I'm starting to hear a bit of buzz that it's working. Apparently Dr. Laura's determination is turning out to be a hit. I don't know if it comes out in the show or not, but she was riding through Peru with a torn rotator cuff to go along with the foot injury. She's tough.
Old 06-18-2013, 08:02 PM   #26
IgoFar
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 630
Quote:
Originally Posted by exoff-roadgoat View Post
I want too see another Ricky Johnson series like what he had a few years ago. That was sweet!
I remember that show, that was good.
IgoFar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2013, 07:52 AM   #27
BlueLghtning
Riding is my passion

Oddometer: 4,933
I'm enjoying the show. Sure we may not be the exact demographics for it, but hey its adventure motorcycling on TV and that's not something we get very often. I'm sure its a pain to bring something like this to TV, so glad we got it and they can only get better if they continue to make it and people like it.

My only beef with the show is why aren't they running TKC's on the bikes? Its not like the tires aren't going to make it the 8 days they are riding and besides they have plenty of support vehicles with them. If I'm not mistaken, they were all on TKC's at the training center? Why train them on the knobby tires and then switch to some more street oriented tire and throw them in sand for 8+ hours and watch them fall over again and again?

Dr Laura has a great attitude and its really cool to see that come out from her as much as she's struggling, but I really wonder if she wouldn't have done better on say the lighter and easier to handle BMW G650GS Sertao? Or even something else? I know she has a lot of track history and such and riding powerful street bikes, but it just seems the show is so focused on off road riding and making the trip, that you would give her the best weapon for her size. She seems to have some height to her advantage, but the F800GS is still a big beast off road for someone her size compared to the lighter Sertao that might have made enough difference for her to do better off road?

Do we know how many episodes it is? I thought I saw 3 mentioned somewhere, but I really hope the final 5 days of riding and the kids at the orphanage don't all get squished into 1 episode.
Smugmug Pics - Save $5 <-- Click Here
BlueLghtning is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2013, 09:30 AM   #28
Outwardbound
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 676
I wonder if NB has a follow-on in mind ? It would be a shame to lose the traction generated by this mini-series.
The group who produced Road Less Traveled (about the TAT) has had little luck getting their program aired.
Maybe this will help.
Outwardbound is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2013, 03:00 PM   #29
srad600
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 636
Quote:
Originally Posted by scootskipper View Post
Mike, thank you for pointing these things out. And yes, it was pitched to the Travel Channel. This is a show that someone who doesn't even ride a motorcycle can get sucked in to. I'm starting to hear a bit of buzz that it's working. Apparently Dr. Laura's determination is turning out to be a hit. I don't know if it comes out in the show or not, but she was riding through Peru with a torn rotator cuff to go along with the foot injury. She's tough.
Agreed, simply having the show is a plus, despite it's obvious marketing advantages to BMW.

On as side note, how hard would it have been to fit those bikes with knobbies...or even dual sport tires? My god I would NOT have taken those roads on those tires on those bikes voluntarily. They appeared to be trail attacks?

I think that's why they picked noobs, most seasoned riders would have pulled those tires off in a heartbeat.
srad600 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2013, 08:24 PM   #30
Mercury264
Once you go Triple...

Oddometer: 21,942
Sorry, it's total shite - typical 'reality' tv.

It's no more than 1 big BMW infomercial and filler between ads. I like Neal Bayly but if this is what he needs to do to get on TV, he needs to do something else.
'99 XR650L
'99 Speed Triple
Mercury264 is offline   Reply With Quote