User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-18-2013, 09:04 AM   #1
scotteroni OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 107
DR650 stock carb, needle white spacer ?

I looked over some information here about this and came up short. I have a 97 DR650 all stock that has the surging issue at low throttle position. I wanted to do a couple mods to clear this up. I took out the needle to add a small washer between the clip and the spacer and noticed that the white spacer had a notch cut into it the bottom of it. I figured it was suppose to fit in with the D shelf inside the carb body. I Installed it that way and have been running the bike. It looks like someone else has been inside the carb as the mixture screw cap was already off and the needle had some scratches on it probably from needle nose pliers below the white spacer. The surging seems to me hardly noticeable at this point. My question is that I have not seen the white washer with any cut outs on any rebuild pics and have not seen it mentioned so I don't know if its from wear from rubbing against the D shelf or maybe its made that way as part of a jet kit? The needle only had one slot for the clip position.
scotteroni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2013, 09:20 AM   #2
JayHawk
Grandpa to 3

Oddometer: 124
How many miles on the carb? I'm no expert but I think since the white washer came stock sitting on top of the d shelf, you are running lean by having the white spacer sitting below the shelf in the bottom of the slide. You then richened it slightly by raising the needle with the washer, but not enough to compensate for the thickness of the d shelf. If it were me, I'd bring it back to stock with an unmolested white spacer and tune from there. I can send you my old one if you need it. How bad are the scratches on the needle?

Once that's squared away,

You mentioned that the mixture screw cap has been removed. Are you talking about the plug over the fuel screw (sometimes called pilot screw) at the front of the carb by the float bowl? If so someone has probably tried adjusting it also. This comes set lean from the factory. I'd screw it in until lightly seated then back it out about 1.5 turns and adjust from there.