Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-19-2013, 10:28 AM   #2836
Kropotkin
Big Girl's Blouse

Oddometer: 7,185
Quote:
Originally Posted by swimmer View Post
Krop, did you ever hear any rumors of Hayden as a possible rider at Suzuki next year? I know you mentioned him going to WSBK next year. I only ask as it seems Hayden upped his pace last weekend and at the test and was thinking it might have had something to do with a possible motogp ride for next year with Suzuki evaporating and him now thinking he needs to show more pace in order to keep his motogp ride for another year. I know the guy is also trying hard but it seemed like he was really on his game last weekend. Well, until he crashed.
Well, Suzuki won't be back till 2015 - if at all - so that's not an option. Hayden needs something before that, and Ducati will pay him well if he moves to WSBK. He said at Barcelona he wanted to stay in Ducati, though.
Kropotkin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2013, 10:28 AM   #2837
stk0308
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,231
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lurky-Loo View Post
According to tweets, Pedrosa did 9 laps on the 2014 bike and decided there wasn't enough difference to start using it at Assen, and called it a test. Marquez is going to stay another day for more testing.

Would be interesting if Marquez decided to use the 2014 -- he might find something with it as the season progresses. Or not.
I'm seeing now they let Bradl out on the 2014 too.
Motorcycling is not, of itself, inherently dangerous. It is, however, extremely unforgiving of inattention, ignorance, incompetence, or stupidity
stk0308 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2013, 10:31 AM   #2838
DougZ73
Fading off.........

Oddometer: 6,839
I think Nicky, Bautista and Cal....all crashed in roughly the exact same spot. Just a theory, but seemed odd to me. Jlo, MM, Dani and Vale, as far as I could tell, were running a tighter line through that turn.
DougZ73 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2013, 10:53 AM   #2839
swimmer
armchair asshole

Oddometer: 4,352
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kropotkin View Post
Well, Suzuki won't be back till 2015 - if at all - so that's not an option. Hayden needs something before that, and Ducati will pay him well if he moves to WSBK. He said at Barcelona he wanted to stay in Ducati, though.

I guess staying in Ducati could be speak for motogp or wsbk. I don't see Ducati taking anyone from moto2 since they already have AI and if anything feel like they would need another proven motogp front runner. Did Cal burn bridges with Ducati? Him or maybe Esparago (older) are about the only riders I would see as a reasonable replacement for Hayden.
swimmer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2013, 10:59 AM   #2840
dsilver1007
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 301
putting a different rider on the duc wont fix any of ducatis problems, they will still get beaten by non factory machines
Old 06-19-2013, 11:15 AM   #2841
mdubya
Right Brigade

Oddometer: 7,219
Quote:
Originally Posted by RedRocket View Post
Krop mentioned that Nicky loves Ducati and Ducati loves Nicky.
The logical thing is for him to go to WSBK with Ducati.
Nicky might not agree. I think he will do all he can to stay in Moto GP.

I did wonder if contract negotiations didn't account for his sudden teammate besting form.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DougZ73 View Post
I think Nicky, Bautista and Cal....all crashed in roughly the exact same spot. Just a theory, but seemed odd to me. Jlo, MM, Dani and Vale, as far as I could tell, were running a tighter line through that turn.
I am pretty sure Cal and Nicky both said they pushed a little too hard and that is why they went down. Bautista (I haven't read what he may have said) almost looked like he pulled the front brake and bailed to avoid taking Rossi out two races in a row.
Old 06-19-2013, 11:18 AM   #2842
swimmer
armchair asshole

Quote:
Originally Posted by mdubya View Post

I am pretty sure Cal and Nicky both said they pushed a little too hard and that is why they went down. Bautista (I haven't read what he may have said) almost looked like he pulled the front brake and bailed to avoid taking Rossi out two races in a row.
Nicky said he held his braking a little too long and I think you are right with AB. Realized he committed himself to some sort of a mistake and took the more popular option of just removing himself from the race.
Old 06-19-2013, 11:19 AM   #2843
mdubya
Right Brigade

Quote:
Well, Suzuki won't be back till 2015 - if at all - so that's not an option.
This whole thing seems like nothing more than a political move to counter DORNA's heavy handedness with them. Is that the way it is being read?

Certainly Suzuki's performance at the test was quite admirable. That they are 'not ready' seems disingenuous.

From where I sit, DORNA could use the excitement of Suzuki's return for 2014.
Old 06-19-2013, 11:19 AM   #2844
swimmer
armchair asshole

Quote:
Originally Posted by dsilver1007 View Post
putting a different rider on the duc wont fix any of ducatis problems, they will still get beaten by non factory machines
So then they should just put you on the 2nd bike? Great approach.
Old 06-19-2013, 11:39 AM   #2845
Kropotkin
Big Girl's Blouse

Oddometer: 7,185
Quote:
This whole thing seems like nothing more than a political move to counter DORNA's heavy handedness with them. Is that the way it is being read?

Certainly Suzuki's performance at the test was quite admirable. That they are 'not ready' seems disingenuous.

From where I sit, DORNA could use the excitement of Suzuki's return for 2014.
Definitely. But there's a couple more factors to consider:

1. they haven't started porting their software to the spec ECU yet. That's just a small matter of programming, but it has to be thoroughly tested.

2. They need a top rider. Only Crutchlow is available for 2014, but he is still a little reluctant. He'd get big money, but the bike is clearly in need of development. In 2015, everyone is out of contract. More chance of nabbing one of the top 3/4/5.

3. 20 liters of fuel is a huge deal. Being competitive with so little fuel takes an enormous amount of R&D, and thousands of small improvements in lots of different areas. All about combustion efficiency and reducing friction everywhere. The reduction in the fuel allocation is basically pricing everyone except for HRC out of the series.
Kropotkin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2013, 12:23 PM   #2846
mdubya
Right Brigade

Quote:
Definitely. But there's a couple more factors to consider:

1. they haven't started porting their software to the spec ECU yet. That's just a small matter of programming, but it has to be thoroughly tested.

2. They need a top rider. Only Crutchlow is available for 2014, but he is still a little reluctant. He'd get big money, but the bike is clearly in need of development. In 2015, everyone is out of contract. More chance of nabbing one of the top 3/4/5.

3. 20 liters of fuel is a huge deal. Being competitive with so little fuel takes an enormous amount of R&D, and thousands of small improvements in lots of different areas. All about combustion efficiency and reducing friction everywhere. The reduction in the fuel allocation is basically pricing everyone except for HRC out of the series.
Thanks.

Good info.

Is the possibility to go with one of the established teams (Aspar) still on the table? Seems like DePuniet and Espargaro would be a good combination for challenging the Ducatis and the Tech 3 Yams.

And since you brought it up... ... what is Cal going to do? I do not see him as a real championship contender/threat...but every time I think that he does something spectacular.

This weekend he didn't crash in QP and break any bones or destroy his #1 bike, qualifies a strong 2nd, but then he goes out in the race and bins it right away...so close and yet...
Old 06-19-2013, 12:27 PM   #2847
DougZ73
Fading off.........

Oddometer: 6,839
Mdub: I kinda thought both their crashes were trail braking related..but still not happy they both crashed out. Both guys that were peforming well enough to possible battle for the podium or damn near it.

Krop: What is up with the fuel limitations anyway? It is the premier motorcycle racing series, not the who gets the best gas mileage tree hugger series.
DougZ73 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2013, 12:59 PM   #2848
mdubya
Right Brigade

Quote:
Originally Posted by DougZ73 View Post
Mdub: I kinda thought both their crashes were trail braking related..but still not happy they both crashed out. Both guys that were peforming well enough to possible battle for the podium or damn near it.
I am always bummed when Nicky crashes out or runs wide or gets pushed off the track somewhere. I know he isn't going to win or even podium, but I am always hoping to see a decent result.

Cal crashing out meant one less podium contender and that is always a let down, especially so early in the race.

Seeing Colin Edwards circulating in the top ten was pretty good though, even if it was a sign of the attrition in the race.

Being silly now: if I were Honda, I would be sending special parts Bautista's way with instructions to ride as close to Rossi as possible at all times.
Old 06-19-2013, 01:42 PM   #2849
Thumpermeister
roost maker

Oddometer: 2,505
Quote:
Obviously they want to be reasonable competitive out of the gate, and development takes time when you have been away from the game. Let's hope they get it right.
Remember that even mighty Honda had their appropriately named "not ready" NR 500 years back!

Thumpermeister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2013, 02:35 PM   #2850
mdubya
Right Brigade

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thumpermeister View Post
Obviously they want to be reasonable competitive out of the gate, and development takes time when you have been away from the game. Let's hope they get it right.
Remember that even mighty Honda had their appropriately named "not ready" NR 500 years back!

I think they were set to return until Ezpeleta told them they would have to pay their own way.

IMHO, this is an everyone loses situation.

Maybe the leased Yamaha engines and the customer Hondas will be enough to keep the story line interesting. Maybe DORNA thought the series would be too flush with interest if the excitement of Suzuki returning was added to the mix.

I do understand DORNA was burned by Suzuki before.