ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Day Trippin'
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 06-19-2013, 11:21 AM   #16
eatpasta OP
Lawnmower Target
 
eatpasta's Avatar
 
Joined: Jul 2006
Location: Santa Barbara, Ca
Oddometer: 9,947
Quote:
Originally Posted by JustKip View Post
Is that Mineral King?
__________________
We shall not cease from exploration, and the end of all our exploring will be to arrive where we started and know the place for the first time.
T. S. Eliot
Quote:
Originally Posted by Burnszilla
I was SO high, I could have hunted duck with a rake
Quote:
Originally Posted by VxZeroKnots View Post
MX stuff isn't my cup of tea, but falling down the side of a mountain is
eatpasta is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2013, 11:31 AM   #17
eatpasta OP
Lawnmower Target
 
eatpasta's Avatar
 
Joined: Jul 2006
Location: Santa Barbara, Ca
Oddometer: 9,947
After a lot of riding, I finally crest the hill and SHIT - I ran out of continent.









This area around Big Sur is my favorite place in the world. I cannot ever get enough of it.



if you've never been here - YOU NEED TO GO





I headed down to one of my favorite spots to have a late breakfast....





__________________
We shall not cease from exploration, and the end of all our exploring will be to arrive where we started and know the place for the first time.
T. S. Eliot
Quote:
Originally Posted by Burnszilla
I was SO high, I could have hunted duck with a rake
Quote:
Originally Posted by VxZeroKnots View Post
MX stuff isn't my cup of tea, but falling down the side of a mountain is
eatpasta is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2013, 11:39 AM   #18
eatpasta OP
Lawnmower Target
 
eatpasta's Avatar
 
Joined: Jul 2006
Location: Santa Barbara, Ca
Oddometer: 9,947
One of the hardest things I've had to do in some time is ride past my favorite camp site in the entire world on my way out. This place books 10 months in advance and it was empty..... it took everything in me to not stop and throw up my tent but I promised my old man that I would buy him a burger and a beer on fathers' day - so there was no way in hell I was going to miss that





you could 80 billionty pictures around here and they would never do it justice





slowly the cliffs faded to flats, and the flats faded to gapes and eventually back to Hwy 101 straight past Cal Poly, which let me tell you on fathers day after graduation was a bloody MESS.

but the 101 wasnt so bad



the main bummer is this area is very heavily enforced by cops so you have no choice but to cruise at 70



things could be worse, no?

the rest of the trip is all slab back to Santa Barbara, and eventually LA so pics would be boring as hell.

the rear tourance took a BEATING. It looks like it was subjected to a trackday or something. It got burned up!



all in all I like Tourances, but they have very little grip on/at the edge..... I had a couple pretty big pucker/slides.....



back to Anakee's next time!

either way, it was a great two day trip. I had a blast. I probably could have done 200 or 300 more miles if I went for a hotel and didnt have to show up for dinner...... maybe ill do a longer one next time?



Hope you enjoyed!

__________________
We shall not cease from exploration, and the end of all our exploring will be to arrive where we started and know the place for the first time.
T. S. Eliot
Quote:
Originally Posted by Burnszilla
I was SO high, I could have hunted duck with a rake
Quote:
Originally Posted by VxZeroKnots View Post
MX stuff isn't my cup of tea, but falling down the side of a mountain is
eatpasta is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2013, 12:28 PM   #19
randysway
n00b
 
Joined: Jun 2013
Oddometer: 5
Quote:
Originally Posted by eatpasta View Post
One of the hardest things I've had to do in some time is ride past my favorite camp site in the entire world on my way out. This place books 10 months in advance and it was empty..... it took everything in me to not stop and throw up my tent but I promised my old man that I would buy him a burger and a beer on fathers' day - so there was no way in hell I was going to miss that





you could 80 billionty pictures around here and they would never do it justice





slowly the cliffs faded to flats, and the flats faded to gapes and eventually back to Hwy 101 straight past Cal Poly, which let me tell you on fathers day after graduation was a bloody MESS.

but the 101 wasnt so bad



the main bummer is this area is very heavily enforced by cops so you have no choice but to cruise at 70



things could be worse, no?

the rest of the trip is all slab back to Santa Barbara, and eventually LA so pics would be boring as hell.

the rear tourance took a BEATING. It looks like it was subjected to a trackday or something. It got burned up!



all in all I like Tourances, but they have very little grip on/at the edge..... I had a couple pretty big pucker/slides.....



back to Anakee's next time!

either way, it was a great two day trip. I had a blast. I probably could have done 200 or 300 more miles if I went for a hotel and didnt have to show up for dinner...... maybe ill do a longer one next time?



Hope you enjoyed!

Nice ride. Hows that place up in big sur. Easy ride? Crowded at all? I was recently at graduation for UCSD and yeah, they really need to limit how many people can goto that...
randysway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2013, 05:09 PM   #20
Nixels
Face fears - live life
 
Nixels's Avatar
 
Joined: Sep 2006
Location: West Oakland, CA
Oddometer: 7,579


Nice RR!

__________________
Coffee first, then all your other mundane bullshit. Benjava

SmugMug coupon: cwbkgu7KGL2D2/save $5
Nixels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2013, 05:35 PM   #21
eatpasta OP
Lawnmower Target
 
eatpasta's Avatar
 
Joined: Jul 2006
Location: Santa Barbara, Ca
Oddometer: 9,947
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nixels View Post


Nice RR!




thanks! I didnt really intend to do a RR but there are a lot of amazing roads on this ride and I figured if one person dug the pictures or found a cool spot because of this, it was worth it.

__________________
We shall not cease from exploration, and the end of all our exploring will be to arrive where we started and know the place for the first time.
T. S. Eliot
Quote:
Originally Posted by Burnszilla
I was SO high, I could have hunted duck with a rake
Quote:
Originally Posted by VxZeroKnots View Post
MX stuff isn't my cup of tea, but falling down the side of a mountain is
eatpasta is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2013, 05:44 PM   #22
The_Scottsman
There's Beer here??
 
The_Scottsman's Avatar
 
Joined: Mar 2010
Location: People's Republic of Cali (North)
Oddometer: 99
That was a great read, and you take some nice photos!

Thanks for sharing!

__________________
'13 KTM 690 Enduro
'03 Aprilia SL1000

Ego reperio vestri fedei defectus turbare.
The_Scottsman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2013, 06:07 PM   #23
eatpasta OP
Lawnmower Target
 
eatpasta's Avatar
 
Joined: Jul 2006
Location: Santa Barbara, Ca
Oddometer: 9,947
Quote:
Originally Posted by The_Scottsman View Post
That was a great read, and you take some nice photos!

Thanks for sharing!

Glad you enjoyed it!
__________________
We shall not cease from exploration, and the end of all our exploring will be to arrive where we started and know the place for the first time.
T. S. Eliot
Quote:
Originally Posted by Burnszilla
I was SO high, I could have hunted duck with a rake
Quote:
Originally Posted by VxZeroKnots View Post
MX stuff isn't my cup of tea, but falling down the side of a mountain is
eatpasta is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2013, 09:09 PM   #24
lvscrvs
Studly Adventurer
 
lvscrvs's Avatar
 
Joined: Jan 2010
Location: norcal
Oddometer: 609
Thanks for a great report. I've always wanted to see what some of those roads in the southern Sierras looked like.

As for the Tourance, I think it was the 191mph top speed that did that poor tire in.... clearly, you were on the gas getting across the valley......
__________________
Ginormous Beasts go to the Eastside

Tiger 955i / Yamaha WR250R < Tiger 955i / DRZ400S / R1150GS < FJR1300 < DL1000 < BMW R1100RS < Ducati ST4 < DL650 zzzzz 30+ years zzzzz 125 Honda Elsinore < Suzuki TM250 < Yamaha 90 Enduro < Taco
lvscrvs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2013, 09:26 PM   #25
XLR_Dave
Up on One
 
Joined: Sep 2006
Location: Tehachapi, CA
Oddometer: 41
Don't be showing the forums all the good empty roads where I live! Just kidding, glad you enjoyed. Looks like when you came through I was on my own ride to Tahoe from Tehachapi.
XLR_Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2013, 09:32 PM   #26
Bob
Formerly H20Pumper
 
Bob's Avatar
 
Joined: Sep 2002
Location: Corral de Tierra CA, Ketchum ID
Oddometer: 2,447
Nice pics, thanks
Bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2013, 09:21 AM   #27
eatpasta OP
Lawnmower Target
 
eatpasta's Avatar
 
Joined: Jul 2006
Location: Santa Barbara, Ca
Oddometer: 9,947
Quote:
Originally Posted by lvscrvs View Post
As for the Tourance, I think it was the 191mph top speed that did that poor tire in.... clearly, you were on the gas getting across the valley......
Yeah there was a low flying Cessna thinking he was all that, I just had to show him who was boss. Did I mention my GS has a blower and nitrous?
__________________
We shall not cease from exploration, and the end of all our exploring will be to arrive where we started and know the place for the first time.
T. S. Eliot
Quote:
Originally Posted by Burnszilla
I was SO high, I could have hunted duck with a rake
Quote:
Originally Posted by VxZeroKnots View Post
MX stuff isn't my cup of tea, but falling down the side of a mountain is
eatpasta is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2013, 10:09 AM   #28
dave6253
Dauntless
 
dave6253's Avatar
 
Joined: May 2006
Location: Phoenix, Arizona
Oddometer: 2,944
Hey buddy. Nice report. That was me shredding up Yokohl Valley Road with you. I just couldn't shake that big GS no matter how hard I twisted the throttle. I'll post a couple photos of you when I get home.
__________________
dave6253 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2013, 10:19 AM   #29
eatpasta OP
Lawnmower Target
 
eatpasta's Avatar
 
Joined: Jul 2006
Location: Santa Barbara, Ca
Oddometer: 9,947
Quote:
Originally Posted by dave6253 View Post
Hey buddy. Nice report. That was me shredding up Yokohl Valley Road with you. I just couldn't shake that big GS no matter how hard I twisted the throttle. I'll post a couple photos of you when I get home.
and nor will you!



I was just trying to figure out what you were riding...... nice railing a few canyons with you!
__________________
We shall not cease from exploration, and the end of all our exploring will be to arrive where we started and know the place for the first time.
T. S. Eliot
Quote:
Originally Posted by Burnszilla
I was SO high, I could have hunted duck with a rake
Quote:
Originally Posted by VxZeroKnots View Post
MX stuff isn't my cup of tea, but falling down the side of a mountain is
eatpasta is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2013, 05:56 AM   #30
jtb
Beastly Adventurer
 
jtb's Avatar
 
Joined: Dec 2003
Location: Hawkesbury NSW Australia
Oddometer: 2,087
Mate,

Awesome report.

Just one question... Why the tarps are wrapped around the arse end of those vehicles in the car park? Never seen that before...

__________________
"Motorcyclist are always going to be frowned a pond..." an inmate in the AUS group

SOFT TO THE CORE OUTBACK NSW & SA RIDE REPORT JULY 2014
jtb is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Share

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

.
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On

Forum Jump


Times are GMT -7.   It's 05:27 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright ADVrider 2011-2014