User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-15-2013, 12:04 PM   #1
remily OP
n00b

Oddometer: 1
UK to somewhere trip...summer 2013 - looking for a partner

Hey, I just joined up today, thought I'd make my first post count..!

Looking to do a 3-week trip in Europe sometime this summer. I'm pretty flexible, although have driven through France and Spain a few times before, so would like to hit up a few new places, considered heading towards Greece but I'm open to ideas.

I've travelled a fair bit before but haven't really done any long trips on my bike (a 650 Yamaha Dragstar). Hoping to find a relaxed riding partner who's happy to go with the flow. I'm 28 and female, I live in Brighton. I'll probably be camping/Couchsurfing a fair bit of the way, but I'm not on a massively tight budget so can stay in hotels too.

Would be great to hear from anyone who might fancy a similar kinda trip :)
remily is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2013, 12:09 PM   #2
Bryn
Leicester England

Oddometer: 304
Welcome along

Greece is a heck of a way for a first trip.... I can recommend a few good places to stay a bit nearer .. Such as Austria/ Germany... Good distance for say, a week away
Old 04-16-2013, 11:00 AM   #3
cip2006is
Adventurer

Oddometer: 20
Hi! How about 3 weeks in august to Romania and back. I want to spend about a week in Romania and ride Transfagarasanul and Transalpina, and some other beautifull mountain roads, another week to get there, and a week to come back. I am native romanian so the language will not be a problem, I know the roads, most of them. Camping, cheap hostels and couchsurfing is my favorite combination. I will meet with some of my biker friends there, and it's gonna be great. I would like to do some of the passes in the Alps also. Nothing is for sure, but I have a destination at least, everything else is freestyle. I live in Doncaster at the moment.
cip2006is is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2013, 11:24 AM   #4
DonVulpes
Adventurer

Oddometer: 53
I'll be heading out, for about 5 weeks, doing a loop from Calais...through Belgium, Netherlands, Germany, Czech Rep, Poland, Hungary, Austria, Croatia, Italy, France ( maybe via Switzerland ) back to Calais.

Not really on your route, but you'll be welcome to ride along for as long as suits you....looking to leave on the last week of July....
DonVulpes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2013, 12:30 AM   #5
eightup
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 117
Hey, I am currently in Moscow and will be heading back to Europe via Scandinavia in a couple weeks. Depending on how far you wanted to travel alone before meeting, we could either meet in Denmark or Belgium.

From Denmark the route would be: Denmark, Germany, Netherlands, Belgium, Luxembourg, France, Switzerland, Italy, and then I would head west to meet a friend in France for a while.

From Belgium the route would be: Belgium, Luxembourg, we can skirt France and hit Germany, Switzerland, Italy, and then I would be off to France.

The time frame I am looking at will be early July most likely. Let me know if you are interested. All routes are approximate, I make up my route day by day

-Josh
eightup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2013, 01:22 PM   #6
Ali in Austria
Adventurer

Oddometer: 72
If you are passing through, look us up.

http://www.pensionhausmaria.com
Ali in Austria is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2013, 05:06 AM   #7
andystephenson
Adventurer

Oddometer: 30
Curious to know best way to find cheap hostels / couches to surf.

Never had much luck with tripadviser to find cheap accom. <50.

I did UK to Greece last year, thinking of doing it again this year - Aug/Sept time. My trip was more of a blast through though, rather that a gentle ride. I did overnight ferry to Zebrugge, then rode through Belgium, Germany, Austria to just inside Italy. Overnight stop. Then down to Brindisi for 8pm ish ferry. Overnight to Igoumenitsa (slept on seat in cafe). Early morning 5AM ish in Igoumenitsa, past Thesaloniki to Keramoti for the ferry to Thassos. Brilliant.

Even though my journey was 'at a pace', I booked nothing along the route. This meant that I did not have to be anywhere at a particular time. This takes away an element of stress (I find) from the trip. More of a go with the flow attitude. You can focus on, and enjoy more, the adventure that you are having.

YMMV
andystephenson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2013, 12:59 PM   #8
tekebird
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 117
Wow, If I had not started planning a ride with a buddy I would be game.

keep me in mind for next year. Just have to meet me closer to where my bike lives in Germany
tekebird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2014, 02:57 PM   #9
petebw
n00b

Oddometer: 9
@remily, still in brighton? Me too, and I quite like the idea of planning something for this year. Also shorter continental stuff is fun too (and with newhaven just down the road...).
petebw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2014, 07:44 AM   #10
RacingSnake
n00b

Oddometer: 7
Pete, I live down the road from you in Eastbourne and i'm currently planning a 2 week(ish) trip for August. Looking at taking a Northerly route getting as far East as L'Viv in Ukraine before taking a more Southerly route back to Blighty. Currently going solo, but i'd be willing to buddy up with someone I get along with.
RacingSnake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2014, 11:34 AM   #11
petebw
n00b

Oddometer: 9
Get any further with your planning rs?
petebw is offline   Reply With Quote