User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 105 votes, 4.87 average. Display Modes
Old 06-19-2013, 06:23 AM   #2731
ScottDill
TANSTAAFL

Oddometer: 4,205
You had it for 12 years? even if resale was zero.....that's still pretty good ROI.
ScottDill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2013, 06:46 AM   #2732
Xtremjeepn
Motorhead!

Oddometer: 1,889
Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by PA Slammer View Post
I got crushed... absolutely crushed... in the resale.

I CANNOT BELIEVE THE RESALE VALUE! IT ABSOLUTELY SUCKS!

Resale is less than a third of purchase price. WTF?

Talked out of buying a Boxster yet?

Show me any 13 year old mass produced car that isn't a 1/3 the new price

I FRIGGING LOVE DEPRECIATION Most high end cars take a massive hit to resale within the first few years! To those of us patient enough this makes for a wonderful purchase. Pay a fraction of the new cost, let Porsche and the first owner work out any initial defects and you can still typically get a warranty that is better than on the new purchase!

06 KTM 950 Adventure(The Fainting Goat)
FOR SALE 02 F650GS DAKAR
FOR SALE 2 KLR650s http://coffeemotorcycleswine.blogspot.com/
Xtremjeepn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2013, 08:42 AM   #2733
CA_Strom
Cunning Linguist

Oddometer: 2,171
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xtremjeepn View Post

I FRIGGING LOVE DEPRECIATION Most high end cars take a massive hit to resale within the first few years! To those of us patient enough this makes for a wonderful purchase. Pay a fraction of the new cost, let Porsche and the first owner work out any initial defects and you can still typically get a warranty that is better than on the new purchase!
Egg Zachary! I'm lurking until the 2013 Boxster S's hit the CPO market in less than a year. That loaded Boxster S that had a sticker of 75k will be barely broken in with less than 15k miles and going for 40 to 45k. Most of the boxster leases I've seen are only giving 5k miles a year, so plenty of creampuffs are going to hit the market.
Old 06-19-2013, 08:53 AM   #2734
pirahna
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 17,645
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xtremjeepn View Post
I have a 17 year old 993 with 60k miles that is worth at least half of what it cost when new.

If I hold on to it long enough it might just go up a little.
pirahna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2013, 09:23 AM   #2735
HOT DAMN!
♪ ♪ ♪

Oddometer: 7,633
Quote:
Originally Posted by pirahna View Post
I have a 17 year old 993 with 60k miles that is worth at least half of what it cost when new.

Fuzzy math or you been hangin' with the fan boiz to long?

Plus or minus a few options, MSRP = $65,000, Private Party Value = $20,000
Old 06-19-2013, 09:30 AM   #2736
Xtremjeepn
Motorhead!

Quote:

The 993 is probably the exception to most old car rules, last of the air cooled so it holds some appeal, etc. They didn't sell that well new.

It's hardly "mass produced" when compared to something like the Boxster or even 996s (68k 993s to something like 400k and counting Boxters, and 175k 996s)

FOR SALE 02 F650GS DAKAR

Xtremjeepn screwed with this post 06-19-2013 at 09:59 AM
Old 06-19-2013, 09:39 AM   #2737
pirahna
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 17,645
Quote:
Originally Posted by HOT DAMN! View Post
Fuzzy math or you been hangin' with the fan boiz to long?

Plus or minus a few options, MSRP = $65,000, Private Party Value = $20,000
$20k buys you a salvage title cabriolet with 100k+ miles on it. KBB and NADA are no where close on 993's.
pirahna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2013, 09:48 AM   #2738
HOT DAMN!
♪ ♪ ♪

Quote:
$20k buys you a salvage title cabriolet with 100k+ miles on it. KBB and NADA are no where close on 993's.
There you have it.
Old 06-19-2013, 09:52 AM   #2739
bracky72
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 947
My 23 year old 964 has 17,800 miles on it and I would hardly call it a good investment. But if you want a new car you have to pay the price.

I'm happy with gently used. :)
bracky72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2013, 10:18 AM   #2740
PA Slammer
I hate titles...

Oddometer: 853
Quote:
Originally Posted by fish View Post
Hey boss, I gotta respectfully disagree witchoo here. I have personally seen more than one /5 do shit that I wouldn't even consider on my GS. There were a couple of them in the trials competition at the 49er rally, and they did great!

It ain't the bike, it's the rider...and the state of mind.

fish
My emphasis was that my Boxster S was perfect, showroom condition, immaculate, etc... yet worth so little compared to a new car. And for what; new car smell, a few more horse power and few more miles per second? If I were racing, extra power and speed would be important, but probably more easily created with aftermarket.

I have to agree with the market being flooded with the Boxster. In my humble opinion, Porsche did their followers a disservice with that decision. But regardless, if you want a Porsche, purchasing something other than the Boxster would probably be smarter.

PA Slammer
PA Slammer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2013, 10:34 AM   #2741
Xtremjeepn
Motorhead!

Quote:

I have to agree with the market being flooded with the Boxster. In my humble opinion, Porsche did their followers a disservice with that decision. But regardless, if you want a Porsche, purchasing something other than the Boxster would probably be smarter.

PA Slammer

I dunno. Even at 400k produced (which drops year after year with wrecks, etc) that is still only 1 per every 17,500 people on the planet.

A car doesn't lose its "fun to drive" nature simply by being older. The Boxster is still a stellar car to drive when viewed as an individual. We lose sight of this by trying to compare it to newer versions designed to out perform previous generations.

The "fun per dollar" increases dramatically as these cars hit the used market. You can have just as much (or more) fun in a 10 year old Boxster than the original owner did but at a fraction of the cost!

I love picking up great cars for less money than the original owner lost in depreciation. Easier to just leave them in the collection that way and not have to sell them to finance the next new one

FOR SALE 02 F650GS DAKAR
Old 06-19-2013, 11:15 AM   #2742
Desmofan
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 549
The whole IMS shaft bearing hysteria trashed the M96 engined Porsche resale values (less than .5 % failures up to 2002, then maybe 5% till 2009).

Like my 2002 S, throw $2000 at it for a new clutch and LN Engineering IMS bearing somewhere south of 100K miles, and it will run forever
Desmofan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2013, 11:32 AM   #2743
HOT DAMN!
♪ ♪ ♪

Quote:
Originally Posted by bracky72 View Post

I'm happy with gently used.
This.
Old 06-19-2013, 12:17 PM   #2744
pfb
Riding, not skiing.

Oddometer: 5,455
Quote:
...2000 Boxster S
...showroom condition with just over 30,000 miles
...Resale is less than a third of purchase price.[

My emphasis was that my Boxster S was perfect, showroom condition,
30%+ value retention in a luxury car after 10+ years is actually pretty fantastic. Just the way it is with luxury vehicles.
Very low miles and perfect condition has much less effect on overall value than you might expect, unless it becomes a 'collector' car, than the value spread between a low mileage mint car and an average condition car starts to expand geometrically!

If value retention (along with fun driving experience) is your goal, buying a 2014 Boxster/Cayman or hell for that matter a 2014 anything isn't the way to go. Take that $65K and buy a $40K pristine 2002 996 Turbo and $25K on a 2014 Ford Fiesta upgraded to street legal but SCCA B-Spec race trim (coilovers, short shifter, seats, roll bar). My guess is that the 996 Turbos are the next Porsche to see a big positive price adjustment. Still going down right now, but with its styling, performance, Metzger engine, and comparatively low volume, I can't imagine the price won't flatten out at $32-35K and start to climb back up.

But buying an older, out of warranty Porsche really doesn't work for the 'drive it to the shop and have them fix it' crowd. Service costs might eat you alive. My 996 C2 is overall an extremely easy and satisfying car to work on (with a few exceptions of course), with readily available and reasonably priced parts. Doesn't mean dealers don't shotgun repairs with lots of unneeded and hugely marked up parts. A DIY full brake job on my 996 was about $400 with OEM pads, top quality rotors, and race fluid. Dealers get $2,000+. DIY oil change, $100 with Redline group V synthetic. Dealer, $290 with Mobil 1 0W-40 (which should definitely be avoided in M96 engines). Fix my tiny coolant leak? $30 online for the genuine Porsche updated cap vs. $600 the shop wanted to replace the entire coolant tank (which was fine).

pfb screwed with this post 06-19-2013 at 12:42 PM
pfb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2013, 03:40 PM   #2745
RocketJohn
Hook em' Horns!

Oddometer: 11,325
The most expensive Porsche is the cheapest Porsche.

Isn't that how that goes?

You get what you pay for.

Now back to my point.

The convertible Cayman is better looking than the hardtop version:

RocketJohn is online now   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: