ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > West California, the desert southwest and whatever is left
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-09-2013, 03:54 PM   #16
sonoran
null device

Oddometer: 22,390
Had to run my car thru emissions today and they were testing a BMW RT in the stall next to me.

Bummer.
sonoran is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2013, 04:49 PM   #17
2 SPOT
wannabe

Oddometer: 2,799
ran the wifes XT through today
2 SPOT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2013, 07:18 AM   #18
Morgan Steele
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 127
Received renewal notice today stating emissions test IS required for my May registration.
Morgan Steele is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2013, 06:45 PM   #19
wrysingfeenix
Dust off those ashes

Oddometer: 627
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2 SPOT View Post
something wonky going on, moto's only get one year tabs
Uhhhhhhhhhhh...

In the past year, I've renewed the Arizona registration for two of my bikes, both of them for expiration dates 5 years out!
---'09 Vespa GT200 Granturismo
---'96 BMW R1100GS Mod Project
wrysingfeenix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2013, 12:06 PM   #20
blatant
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 538
I believe the gun was jumped in April in the earlier posts.

Looks like we should be in business here after 6/21/13 from here: http://www.azdeq.gov/environ/air/vei/motor.html Maybe print and bring just in case.... ?

Air Quality Division: Vehicle Emissions: Collectible Vehicles and Tucson Motorcycles and Phoenix Motorcycles Collectible Vehicles and Tucson Motorcycles
A 2002 analysis showed that the testing and repair of collectible vehicles in the Phoenix area, and of collectible vehicles and motorcycles in the Tucson area, does not provide a significant air quality benefit. Subsequently, in 2005 the Arizona Legislature passed House Bill 2357 to authorize the exemption of these vehicles. The exemptions required the approval of the U.S. EPA and a request for approval of the exemptions was submitted to the U.S. EPA on Dec. 23, 2005 and supplemented on October 03, 2006. Copies of the submittal are available upon request by calling the State Implementation Plan Unit at (602) 771-2373. The U.S. EPA's approval became effective on April 30, 2007 (March 30, 2007; 72 FR 15046)
ADEQ and the Arizona Motor Vehicle Division have begun to implement this exemption. Owners of collectible vehicles must contact their insurance carriers to arrange for the required insurance. The carrier will notify MVD electronically, allowing the vehicle to be registered as a collectible vehicle.

Phoenix Motorcycles
In 2008, the Arizona Legislature passed House Bill 2280 authorizing the exemption of motorcycles from emissions testing requirements in the Phoenix area. The exemption required the approval of the U.S. EPA by July 2014 (as authorized by House Bill 2033 in April 2010 and extended by House Bill 2073 in 2012).) A request for approval of the exemption was submitted to the U.S. EPA on November 10, 2009. An addendum was submitted on January 12, 2011. Copies of the submittals are available upon request by calling the SIP Unit at (602) 771-2373. The U.S. EPA's approval becomes effective on June 21, 2013 (78 FR 30209; May 22, 2013). After June 21, 2013, motorcycles in the metro Phoenix area will no longer be required to be tested.

blatant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2013, 10:45 AM   #21
Yellowdatsun
Adventurer

Oddometer: 32
FINALLY! I've been hearing about this for years now, glad to see it's really happening. From what I understand, Maricopa County was that last place in the US that still required motorcycles to be tested.
Yellowdatsun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2013, 01:57 PM   #22
azshtr
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,072
Sheesh, how did I miss this one.

Yesterday took time off to title a new to me bike... motor vehicles says I need to emissions test first. I said no, I just want the title transferred then I'll deal with emissions later, she says nope, emission test first. (New law, all vehicles requiring an emission test must first have the test to title it. Don't understand that new rule... what about buying something that doesn't run?). So off I go to emissions, and fail buy a hair. Then off I go to Dillons place and he tells me to wait till Saturday to title it. I just dealt with 2 city workers who deal with this stuff... you'd have thought they could have mentioned it.

Oh well, at least I don't need to deal with it anymore.

Now for the next WTF moment... I accidentally wrote the date as '03 on my part of the rear of the title for transfer. I then quickly changed it to '13 and initialed it. (I was chatting with someone when filling it out and the year of the bike is '03... that was the reason I think I wrote '03. Turns out that makes the title "altered" and therefore "void" in the eyes of DMV. The title is issued in '10, notarized in '13 by the seller when I bought it. You'd think a simple error like that would be common sense as I clearly didn't sign it in '03... nope! I need to ask (beg) for an "affidavit of error" and hope they give it to me. Other wise I need to pay for a new title, send it to the seller, have him notarize it again and send it back to me. Thank goodness my next door neighbor just retired from DMV and called in a favor for me... and still no promise it will work.

I still wonder about the emissions before titling law. What about the guys who buy a fixer upper? You can't title anything without passing emissions first, and you only have 15 business days to do it.

azshtr screwed with this post 06-19-2013 at 02:03 PM
azshtr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2013, 04:14 PM   #23
2 SPOT
wannabe

Oddometer: 2,799
Quote:
Originally Posted by azshtr View Post
I still wonder about the emissions before titling law. What about the guys who buy a fixer upper? You can't title anything without passing emissions first, and you only have 15 business days to do it.

thats legislation for ya,,, makes about as much sense as wiping before you poop.
2 SPOT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2013, 05:11 PM   #24
booger1
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 808
I've heard of this for such a long time. I'm glad I didn't hold my breath then and I'll wait to see if it really happens.

booger1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2013, 05:35 PM   #25
Brain
mr. self destruct

Oddometer: 519
I just received a letter from the DMV because I have a vehicle that is effected by a recent change.

Stating that effective 6/21/2013 motorcycles, ATC's and ATV's will be exempt from emissions testing.

Brain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2013, 05:43 PM   #26
azshtr
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,072
Quote:
Originally Posted by booger1 View Post
I've heard of this for such a long time. I'm glad I didn't hold my breath then and I'll wait to see if it really happens.
The emissions before title is now in place, and the Feds have finally signed off on the "no longer needing motorcycles emissions" effective Friday. However I did notice the feds sat on it for 3 or 4 years... I think it was a F You Arizona move, California had permission way before us.

http://www.azdeq.gov/environ/air/vei/motor.html