User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 22 votes, 4.36 average. Display Modes
Old 06-19-2013, 07:28 PM   #2746
longtallsally
Yeah I'm a chick

Oddometer: 3,982
I gotta say, I'm not diggin' it. It kinda has a strange Ferrari thing in the front and then classic Boxster on the side.

I'm a ways out from making any new vehicle decisions based on the current size of the fleet and available space (but most importantly funds) so it is more or less irrelevant, but for eye candy, after watching this:

I'm kinda hooked on the new 911. It did something for me in terms of seeing the car used REAL world and pretty functional.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RocketJohn View Post
The most expensive Porsche is the cheapest Porsche.

Isn't that how that goes?

You get what you pay for.

Now back to my point.

The convertible Cayman is better looking than the hardtop version:

Old 06-19-2013, 08:37 PM   #2747
91Eunos
zipper suited sun god

Oddometer: 658
Quote:
Originally Posted by STANIMAL View Post
Boxters are for girls .
come out to the track with me some time...would love to see how you do in whatever you choose to drive against my CR. Better yet I'll be in my "chick car" Miata.

Good luck...
91Eunos is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2013, 08:44 PM   #2748
STANIMAL
SUPPORT THE SECOND

Oddometer: 2,494
Quote:
Originally Posted by 91Eunos View Post
come out to the track with me some time...would love to see how you do in whatever you choose to drive against my CR. Better yet I'll be in my "chick car" Miata.

Good luck...
If you think that I made a serious statement , You need to rethink driving a car on a track.Your poor decision making could get other people hurt .
I'm ignorant, but happy---steyr_scout308
STANIMAL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2013, 11:05 PM   #2749
Arch
Incurable Gearhead

Oddometer: 11,705
Talking

Hey gang, haven't been around much lately, but this thread made me wanna post a pic or two of my little '11 Cayman S. It's been a complete joy thus far...

Guards Red / Black Leather / Red Belts
Infotainment Pkg / Nav / Bose / Convenience Pkg
PDK / Sport Chrono Plus

Old 06-20-2013, 01:42 PM   #2750
LuciferMutt
Rides slow bike slow

Oddometer: 10,580
Quote:
The most expensive Porsche is the cheapest Porsche.

Isn't that how that goes?

You get what you pay for.

Now back to my point.

The convertible Cayman is better looking than the hardtop version:

Isn't the "convertible Cayman" the same thing as Boxster? Just like a "hardtop Boxster" would be a Cayman?

Badasses might screw with another badass. Nobody screws with a nut job. -- Plaka
LuciferMutt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2013, 01:46 PM   #2751
RocketJohn
Hook em' Horns!

Oddometer: 11,288
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arch View Post
Hey gang, haven't been around much lately, but this thread made me wanna post a pic or two of my little '11 Cayman S. It's been a complete joy thus far...

Guards Red / Black Leather / Red Belts
Infotainment Pkg / Nav / Bose / Convenience Pkg
PDK / Sport Chrono Plus

Very nice "hardtop boxster" Arch! Good to see you around these parts...
RocketJohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2013, 03:13 PM   #2752
pfb
Riding, not skiing.

Oddometer: 5,263
Quote:
Isn't the "convertible Cayman" the same thing as Boxster? Just like a "hardtop Boxster" would be a Cayman?
Just to clarify, when I said the Boxster no longer had an optional hardtop, I meant a removable hardtop as was offered on the 987's, though others like to euphemistically call the Cayman a 'Boxster Hardtop'...

Removable hardtops like this are no longer available for the 'new' Boxster.... But the soft tops are much higher quality than they used to be.

If you love open top cars, by all means go for the new Boxster, but the new Cayman has a much stiffer chassis, more horsepower in all configurations, more torque in all configurations, is quicker in all configurations, and (IMHO) is far better looking as well based on seeing them in person side-by-side...
Old 06-20-2013, 09:56 PM   #2753
91Eunos
zipper suited sun god

Oddometer: 658
Quote:
Originally Posted by STANIMAL View Post
If you think that I made a serious statement , You need to rethink driving a car on a track.Your poor decision making could get other people hurt .
simmah down dude... perceptions and misperceptions work both ways, especially in print...& have done just fine on track so far, including instructing for HPDEs (and flying for Uncle Sugar) for many years.

Sorry I missed the joke, been spending too much time in the basement I suppose... Still happy to bring ya to the track...make your way to the hill country & I'll treat you to a day at our local track on me. Moving on...

OT: Got the flyer for the new Cayman sent out to current owners today and went to the 981 launch at the local dealer here last month. Gotta say that despite my love for my 987's curves I love the way the new Cayman looks in profile. Slowly getting sold on a Panamera for the next Daddy Car too...had one on loan for a week while my car was in for service and it proved to be pretty damn useful hauling the family around.

Met more of my neighbors who stopped by to see the Panamera and wanted me to take them for a ride this week than with either of the little track toys in the year we've been living here since moving back from Germany!
91Eunos is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2013, 11:49 PM   #2754
Arch
Incurable Gearhead

Oddometer: 11,705
Talking

Quote:
Very nice "hardtop boxster" Arch! Good to see you around these parts...
Hola, old friend!
Old 06-21-2013, 09:41 AM   #2755
68deluxe
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 11,872
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xtremjeepn View Post
The 993 is probably the exception to most old car rules, last of the air cooled so it holds some appeal, etc. They didn't sell that well new.

It's hardly "mass produced" when compared to something like the Boxster or even 996s (68k 993s to something like 400k and counting Boxters, and 175k 996s)
They were overpriced when new, Porsche had really driven the prices up and almost put themselves out of business. IIRC an early 90's 911 cost about the same as a 2005 911. The Boxster saved Porsche for a few years until the Cayenne really brought in the money.
Old 06-21-2013, 09:51 AM   #2756
68deluxe
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 11,872
Quote:
Originally Posted by CA_Strom View Post
Egg Zachary! I'm lurking until the 2013 Boxster S's hit the CPO market in less than a year. That loaded Boxster S that had a sticker of 75k will be barely broken in with less than 15k miles and going for 40 to 45k. Most of the boxster leases I've seen are only giving 5k miles a year, so plenty of creampuffs are going to hit the market.
I have had a 2001 Boxster base and a 2006 997S, Boxster ran like a top for 3 years and only problem was the ignition switch. The 997S was another thing entirely, a lemon whose maintenance history was hidden from me by the dealer. I found after I bought the CPO car that it had hundreds of over-revs and when the tranny had to be replaced the dealer threatened the original owner with invalidating the warranty if he kept abusing the car. There were also mods done to the car not disclosed at the time of sale. I paid $78K and two years later dumped it for $48K after I found out about the maintenance history. Car never did handle right and was not in the shop enough to qualify for lemon law replacement. I would buy another Boxster in a second but just not from the lying scumbag weasels at the local dealer.
Old 06-21-2013, 10:43 AM   #2757
Desmofan
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 521
That amuses me. I just had to replace the ignition switch on my Box, second in two years First time was $300 at an indy, this time $12 for the switch and hours of fun for the whole family, upside down rammed under the dash
Desmofan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2013, 10:46 AM   #2758
STANIMAL
SUPPORT THE SECOND

Quote:
Originally Posted by 91Eunos View Post
simmah down dude... perceptions and misperceptions work both ways, especially in print...& have done just fine on track so far, including instructing for HPDEs (and flying for Uncle Sugar) for many years.

Sorry I missed the joke, been spending too much time in the basement I suppose... Still happy to bring ya to the track...make your way to the hill country & I'll treat you to a day at our local track on me. Moving on...

OT: Got the flyer for the new Cayman sent out to current owners today and went to the 981 launch at the local dealer here last month. Gotta say that despite my love for my 987's curves I love the way the new Cayman looks in profile. Slowly getting sold on a Panamera for the next Daddy Car too...had one on loan for a week while my car was in for service and it proved to be pretty damn useful hauling the family around.

Met more of my neighbors who stopped by to see the Panamera and wanted me to take them for a ride this week than with either of the little track toys in the year we've been living here since moving back from Germany!
I had to look up that track , never heard of it. Another reason to move to Austin.
Old 06-28-2013, 09:40 AM   #2759
jburroughs12
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 111
I have long been a BMW guy. I have owned multiple E36's as well as an #46 and most recently an E92. However, being 28 and without kids yet, the wife and I decided it was high time I move into a "true" sports car. Enter this little beauty...

It's an '03 C2 with about 83k on the clock. Got it for a good price, and so far I couldn't be happier. It's just civilized enough to keep the wife happy, and just mad enough to keep me happy.

I just want to thank ADV for this thread and starting yet another money fueled addiction of mine.

(Apologies about the quick cell phone pics and the briefcase, couple of quick snaps before work this week)
jburroughs12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2013, 10:39 AM   #2760
STANIMAL
SUPPORT THE SECOND

Quote:
Originally Posted by jburroughs12 View Post
I have long been a BMW guy. I have owned multiple E36's as well as an #46 and most recently an E92. However, being 28 and without kids yet, the wife and I decided it was high time I move into a "true" sports car. Enter this little beauty...

It's an '03 C2 with about 83k on the clock. Got it for a good price, and so far I couldn't be happier. It's just civilized enough to keep the wife happy, and just mad enough to keep me happy.

I just want to thank ADV for this thread and starting yet another money fueled addiction of mine.

(Apologies about the quick cell phone pics and the briefcase, couple of quick snaps before work this week)
Congrats . Dont forget the coffee.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: