Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > Europe
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-19-2013, 05:44 AM   #16
sphyrnidus
born to ride

Oddometer: 125
Hi Sein, in the Netherlands you don't neer a car license to get a motorcycle license. So you would only have to take the bike test. It is about 100.- and if you also need the theoretical part thats anonther 25. But I know it's more difficult here than in the USA, also you most often have to wait several weeks before you could take it. Also traffic laws are different and I'm quite sure you can't pass a test whitout some lessons as the people at the CBR where you take the test) have peculiar thoughts about the way we should behave on the road :) My parents lived in de the USA for 18 years and I visited them quite a few times so I know about the differences.
What KHPossum said applies only for holidays. If you are living here and are registered here you have to register it here or you might end up withe fines of several hundreds of Euro's, believe me. Getting a Dutch license might set you back 650.- I read on the rdw website. I don't know what your bike is worth and how long you plan to live here, but selling it over there and buying one over here might be an option to consider.
Old 06-19-2013, 11:11 PM   #17
sein OP
Adventurer

Oddometer: 40
Quote:
Originally Posted by sphyrnidus View Post
Hi Sein, in the Netherlands you don't neer a car license to get a motorcycle license. So you would only have to take the bike test.
Awesome!

Quote:
It is about 100.- and if you also need the theoretical part thats anonther 25. But I know it's more difficult here than in the USA, also you most often have to wait several weeks before you could take it. Also traffic laws are different and I'm quite sure you can't pass a test whitout some lessons as the people at the CBR where you take the test) have peculiar thoughts about the way we should behave on the road :)
Awww...
I have heard that the tests in most civilized countries are more difficult than in the US. I'm optimistic that I'd be able to get enough practice in during the initial 180-day period to get through it, but perhaps I should plan to take the test early in case I fail the first time.

Quote:
What KHPossum said applies only for holidays. If you are living here and are registered here you have to register it here or you might end up withe fines of several hundreds of Euro's, believe me. Getting a Dutch license might set you back 650.- I read on the rdw website. I don't know what your bike is worth and how long you plan to live here, but selling it over there and buying one over here might be an option to consider.
The bike is honestly not worth a lot of money, but the TE610s are getting kind of hard to find and I've grown quite fond of this particular machine. I plan to stay in the Netherlands for at least 2 years. After that I'd need to make new arrangements to maintain my visa, so I may end up moving again depending on my job prospects.
sein is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2013, 11:26 AM   #18
Gener
Adventurer

Oddometer: 13
Netherlands Car/bike License

Depending on immigration classification, you might be able to swap your license for a Dutch one. If you can swing Kennismigrant status, someone who works here because of particular knowledge or professional status you may qualify to trade your license staright across for a Netherlands License of similar classification. This depends, of course on where you come from, and how long you plan to stay.
Gener is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2013, 11:28 AM   #19
sein OP
Adventurer

Oddometer: 40
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gener View Post
Depending on immigration classification, you might be able to swap your license for a Dutch one. If you can swing Kennismigrant status, someone who works here because of particular knowledge or professional status you may qualify to trade your license staright across for a Netherlands License of similar classification. This depends, of course on where you come from, and how long you plan to stay.

That would be super convenient, but I suspect I won't qualify. I'm coming over from the US as a master's student.
sein is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2013, 12:54 PM   #20
chasbmw
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,962
See if you can get an international driving licence from the AAA
1971 Commando Fastback
chasbmw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2013, 01:50 PM   #21
MichaelJ
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,177
Quote:
Originally Posted by chasbmw View Post
See if you can get an international driving licence from the AAA
#1 - It ISN'T an International Drivers License - it's an International Driving Permit - different animal altogether.

#2 - The IDP is merely a translation of your US license into other languages for the convenience of the gentlemen hosting the roadside chat session who may not be conversant with your language - it does NOT provide any driving privileges - your US license does that.

To the best of my knowledge, only Italy & Austria require one. I had a roadside chat in Italy a few weeks ago (random control stop) and they never asked for it. YM, of course, MV.
Michael J. - IBA #3901
Ten years in the Alps (so far)
Alpine Trip Reports: 2006, 2007, 2009
Pictures, pictures and more pictures
MichaelJ is offline   Reply With Quote