Loose nut behind h/bars

Oddometer: 4,865
Quote:
Originally Posted by MAXVERT View Post
Fuck this shit is still happening with the slider, that's getting to the point
of being criminal on KTM's part.
One of you lawyers out there should class action the cocksuckers
( I've been watching Dead Wood again )
This happened on my '07 990 in '07 and there were many posts on the subject. The punk ass KTM dealer in Boise wouldn't fix it without authorization from KTM USA, I fixed it my self, the clutch slave cylinder
and pushrod were trashed.
I can't believe KTM dealers let the bike out the door without insuring
this is fixed.
I installed a longer bolt with copious amounts of red loctite and check it
frequently.
I think the OC needs a cautionary sticky on this and the cracked case
issues.

Max
YEAH! Let's put them cock-suckers out of business!
That'll teach 'em!
Then I can have another great bike sitting in my basement that I can no longer get parts for!

You're a jerk.
'75 Kawi 900 Z1...'90 Kawi ZX11...'03 Kawi ZRX 1200...'01 VOR 400E
O.C.F.RIDER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2011, 02:15 PM   #47
geometrician
let's keep going...

Oddometer: 1,024
Pissed Helmet Prices & Your LC8

The recent posts on the LC8 side stand mounting location and this make me think of why Shoei helmets cost (almost) as much as Aria's now- lawsuits.

As a manufacturer of quality helmets their lower price brought them a lot of sales compared to the more expensive Arai.

As statistics go, they were sued more than Arai & this caused them to raise the prices of their helmets.

If it's the question of a flawed final drive design that was fixed on the Corvair, or the "banning" of Honda/etc 3-wheeled ATVs that were withdrawn from the product line, consumer lawsuits do the public (& other consumers) good.

Other types (tort) lawsuits either put the company in question out of business or had them increase product costs/reduce R&D to pay for insurance premiums, lawyers, litigation, etc, etc.

I used to be a Triumph mechanic back in the bad old days (um, before Hinckley went to Japan & copied a 3cyl Ninja motor) and shit fell off those bikes all the time. The oil feed line to the rocker arms/valve gallery wasn't force-fed, it was tee'd off the return line to the tank from the sump scavenger pump... anyone who knows hydraulic laws (or a kid with a tea cup in the bathtub) knows that liquids will go in the direction of least resistance, so the Triumphs ate their top ends every 7-12,000 miles from lack of proper lubrication... and they NEVER fixed it!!! That is one big reason why the Japanese left Triumph/BSA/Norton/etc in the weeds and put many of them out of business: because they refused to change things while the Japanese studied EVERY failure with scrutiny... "One dissatisified customer can undo the work of one hundred satisified customers" as the saying goes.

Fellas, we have the Ferraris of off-road motorcycles. Period. I'd bet more than half of us bought these bikes knowing full well their Achilles Heal(s) & problems. This is not an un-educated group at OC.

You pay to play here, this is not a company that has the resources (person-hour or $) to play the way the Japanese did (I say did because they fell under the direction of their shareholders to return a dividend and they quit fixing things, ala Toyota & throttle systems) so don't expect them to respond as such.

I'm just damn glad I have this unfucking-believably badass capable bike in my garage and I get to ride her all I want

And the real fix for this is to insert RivNuts in the swingarm... I am working with Hansen Rivet to find a reasonable solution; right now they are quoting $15 for the fasteners & $59 for the installation tool; the tool could be used for all different sizes of blind fasteners so you fabricators out there could go crazy. You could probably bribe an aircraft or bus (Municipal/Greyhound) mechanic to put yours in for you, they deal with them everyday
'87 KLR650 - <200K miles "Like the Energizer Bunny, just keeps going & going..."
geometrician is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2012, 12:22 PM   #48
Peanuts
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,477
I know its a slightly old thread, but here is my solution.

I drill the hole out 1/4" then use an M6 x 100 allen screw and nyloc. That will never come out!

Peanuts screwed with this post 03-14-2012 at 08:05 AM
Peanuts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2012, 12:59 AM   #49
gefr
Life is a trip

Oddometer: 3,756
This is a great idea.

These fixing holes are aligned? This is a permanent fix. Thanx for posting. Cheers.

gefr screwed with this post 11-05-2013 at 12:27 AM
gefr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2012, 12:17 PM   #50
Peanuts
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by gefr View Post
These fixing holes are aligned? This is a permanent fix. Thanx for posting. Cheers.
Yes, the holes are perfectly aligned.... in fact you only need to drill out one hole, you can use the threads in the other hole in addition to the nyloc :)
Old 03-13-2012, 12:48 PM   #51
gefr
Life is a trip

I just performed this mod to a 950Adv 2003 and 990Adv 2006

The allen screws needed to be M6X100 since 90 were just surfacing. Anyway permanent peace of mind.
Cheers.
Old 03-14-2012, 08:05 AM   #52
Peanuts
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
The allen screws needed to be M6X100 since 90 were just surfacing. Anyway permanent peace of mind.
Cheers.

Ooops, sorry. The 90 are for EXC models.
Old 03-14-2012, 08:20 PM   #53
plumbtired
plunging into the farkle

Oddometer: 184
Thumb

The thru bolt remedy was mentioned earlier in the thread, but pics R worth a thousand words. Thanks for posting pics with size of bolt too! Great idea.

08 990
98 DR

plumbtired is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2012, 10:48 AM   #54
Xtremjeepn
Motorhead!

Oddometer: 1,794
Question

I'm on my second 5k ish trip in the last month on my 06 950. Just hosed it off for inspection and have lost the chain guide bolt on the topside of the swingarm.

I'm having an insanely slow Internet connection this morning so didn't try to read the whole thread. Does anyone know off the top of their head what size bolt this is? I'm about to look for a hardware store to replace it before riding any further today.

Hell.....if you want just text me the size 303-359-7469 it might be faster than this connection right now.

06 KTM 950 Adventure(The Fainting Goat)
FOR SALE 02 F650GS DAKAR
FOR SALE 2 KLR650s http://coffeemotorcycleswine.blogspot.com/
Xtremjeepn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2012, 11:53 AM   #55
75monza
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 326
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xtremjeepn View Post
I'm on my second 5k ish trip in the last month on my 06 950. Just hosed it off for inspection and have lost the chain guide bolt on the topside of the swingarm.

I'm having an insanely slow Internet connection this morning so didn't try to read the whole thread. Does anyone know off the top of their head what size bolt this is? I'm about to look for a hardware store to replace it before riding any further today.

Hell.....if you want just text me the size 303-359-7469 it might be faster than this connection right now.

Quote:
Cheers.
75monza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2012, 12:06 PM   #56
Xtremjeepn
Motorhead!

Oddometer: 1,794
Laugh

Thanks.....none of that stuff was loading and readable where I was at. Could barely post at the time.

Also, since I was basically along side the road I didn't have a drill with me either

I did manage to find a Home Depot and bought a 6x30mm bolt and a couple washers to get me back on the road. It was the longest bolt they had so I figured it would at least take awhile to back out this time

06 KTM 950 Adventure(The Fainting Goat)
FOR SALE 02 F650GS DAKAR
FOR SALE 2 KLR650s http://coffeemotorcycleswine.blogspot.com/
Xtremjeepn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2012, 08:22 AM   #57
Nailhead
Painting by numbers

Oddometer: 6,128
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nailhead View Post
Trentdirt, I hope you are recovering well. Thanks for posting this, it has reminded me of the importance of checking and if need be, tightening these bolts.

To that end, are these bolts threaded into nuts? I'm at work and my bike is about 400 mi. away, and I can't check this first hand, but I'm wondering this because if they do thread into nuts (and not into the swingarm itself), then self-locking nuts might well be a solution to this problem.
Just got around to loctiting them about a month ago while installing my shock. Two years after I posted this.

Drilled the swingarm, too.

Peace of mind is wonderful stuff.

'7? Benelli 650S, '80 BMW R100 RS, '07 KTM 990 Adventure
Nailhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2012, 07:39 AM   #58
Yascher
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 388
Great thread,
Myne were loose after a year since I've threadlocked!!! No it's time for through bolting)))
Yascher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2013, 10:35 PM   #59
gefr
Life is a trip

Quote:
Originally Posted by plumbtired View Post
The thru bolt remedy was mentioned earlier in the thread, but pics R worth a thousand words. Thanks for posting pics with size of bolt too! Great idea.
Where is that?