ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Racing
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 06-18-2013, 02:49 PM   #166
ICERIDER
Adventure Rider
 
ICERIDER's Avatar
 
Joined: Jun 2006
Location: Stanley Falkland Islands
Oddometer: 401
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lurky-Loo View Post
Since neither Pedrosa nor Marquez have been taken out
Please don't use these words again!!!

Yes young Marquez is something special but I really hope DP gets his crown this season.
__________________
950 SE
WR250R
950 ADV
ICERIDER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2013, 03:09 PM   #167
swimmer
armchair asshole
 
swimmer's Avatar
 
Joined: Oct 2007
Location: tucson
Oddometer: 4,005
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crisis management View Post
I haven't looked at timing but watching Mark chewing on Danis' back tyre and only not getting past due to Danis' defensive riding on sunday looked like the faster guy was Mark.
I'm not saying he is going to clean up the championship as he runs the risk of crashing more than Dani but I believe he can ride faster than Dani.
FWIW, avg. QP this year.
Dani 2.5
MM 3.8
JLo 2
swimmer is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2013, 03:11 PM   #168
swimmer
armchair asshole
 
swimmer's Avatar
 
Joined: Oct 2007
Location: tucson
Oddometer: 4,005
JLo's helmet for auction.
http://www.ebay.es/itm/ws/eBayISAPI....ht_1253wt_1141
swimmer is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2013, 04:36 PM   #169
Lurky-Loo
Gnarly Adventurer
 
Joined: Oct 2009
Oddometer: 445
Quote:
Originally Posted by mike54 View Post
At Mugello he got past Dani and crashed in the next corner.
Pretty much. To paraphrase Hunter S. Thompson, the measure of a racer's skill is his preferred traveling speed compared to his finishing order.

Marquez is off to a fantastic start, but he's not faster than Pedrosa or Lorenzo yet; let's not get carried away.
Lurky-Loo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2013, 01:41 AM   #170
Pecha72
Beastly Adventurer
 
Joined: May 2008
Location: Helsinki, Finland
Oddometer: 3,096
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lurky-Loo View Post
he's not faster than Pedrosa or Lorenzo yet; let's not get carried away.
well, so far MM is almost matching DPīs pace in every session and race, and has even beaten DP a few times. Thatīs very remarkable for a rookie.
Pecha72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2013, 06:12 AM   #171
Kropotkin
Big Girl's Blouse
 
Kropotkin's Avatar
 
Joined: Dec 2003
Location: Dieren, The Low Low Lands of Holland
Oddometer: 7,028
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lurky-Loo View Post
Pretty much. To paraphrase Hunter S. Thompson, the measure of a racer's skill is his preferred traveling speed compared to his finishing order.

Marquez is off to a fantastic start, but he's not faster than Pedrosa or Lorenzo yet; let's not get carried away.
Of the six races so far, Marc Marquez set the fastest lap in four of them. He has the speed, it's the racecraft and managing a MotoGP bike to the end of a race that is missing.
Kropotkin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2013, 06:58 AM   #172
Skowinski
Chordate
 
Skowinski's Avatar
 
Joined: Nov 2009
Location: Mojave Desert
Oddometer: 4,686
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kropotkin View Post
Of the six races so far, Marc Marquez set the fastest lap in four of them. He has the speed, it's the racecraft and managing a MotoGP bike to the end of a race that is missing.
And I'd bet a wad of cash that that last part is coming really soon.
__________________

"Nature never hurries, yet everything is accomplished."
- Lao Tsu


In memory of Nika: http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=990697
Skowinski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2013, 08:52 AM   #173
Lurky-Loo
Gnarly Adventurer
 
Joined: Oct 2009
Oddometer: 445
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kropotkin View Post
Of the six races so far, Marc Marquez set the fastest lap in four of them. He has the speed, it's the racecraft and managing a MotoGP bike to the end of a race that is missing.
He's not as fast as Pedrosa over the length of a race (so far this season). We agree.

Seems to me other definitions -- qualifying avg, top speed, fastest lap -- are confusing a pretty simple concept. The fastest rider is the guy ahead in the standings, barring forced crashes or force majeure.

There's a BMW M6 waiting for the best qualifier, but I don't know that the recipient will be considered the fastest rider of the season, just the guy with the best grid spots.
Lurky-Loo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2013, 09:06 AM   #174
Kropotkin
Big Girl's Blouse
 
Kropotkin's Avatar
 
Joined: Dec 2003
Location: Dieren, The Low Low Lands of Holland
Oddometer: 7,028
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lurky-Loo View Post
He's not as fast as Pedrosa over the length of a race (so far this season). We agree.

Seems to me other definitions -- qualifying avg, top speed, fastest lap -- are confusing a pretty simple concept. The fastest rider is the guy ahead in the standings, barring forced crashes or force majeure.
Clearly, Pedrosa is the faster of the two at the moment. No argument. But Marquez' debut is extraordinary, even by the standards of the other aliens. I checked, and Lorenzo only had the fastest race lap once in his early races on the Yamaha, at Estoril.

After the race in Barcelona, Marquez says he pushes hard and beyond his comfort zone to stay with Pedrosa and Lorenzo, because he will only learn behind them. Said once again he learned a load of stuff behind Pedrosa.
Kropotkin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2013, 09:39 AM   #175
Pecha72
Beastly Adventurer
 
Joined: May 2008
Location: Helsinki, Finland
Oddometer: 3,096
MM has actually beaten DP twice out of six races. Had he stayed upright a few more laps in Italy, they'd be 3-3 now at Repsol. DP knows just like everybody else, that there will be no stopping Marquez, once he learns the bike properly.

(and I'd like to see DP win it this year).
Pecha72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2013, 11:42 AM   #176
brents347
Trusting my Cape...
 
brents347's Avatar
 
Joined: Mar 2006
Location: Where the hell is Truckee, CA?
Oddometer: 3,435
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pecha72 View Post
MM has actually beaten DP twice out of six races. Had he stayed upright a few more laps in Italy, they'd be 3-3 now at Repsol. DP knows just like everybody else, that there will be no stopping Marquez, once he learns the bike properly.

(and I'd like to see DP win it this year).
The problem with this theory is that it sounds like you are assuming that if MM hadn't crashed in Italy, he would have won. That's a big assumption. And that's why thus far Pedrosa is the faster rider over race distance. No assumptions, no opinions or conjuncture. Just results. Is MM fast as stink? No doubt. Is Pedrosa the consistently faster rider at this point? That's what the points say.
__________________
07 Yamaha R6
07 KTM 950 Super Enduro
04 KTM 250exc- plated two-stroke

01 Kawasaki KE100
74 Honda MR50
brents347 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2013, 09:11 PM   #177
twotyred
Practising Recedivist
 
twotyred's Avatar
 
Joined: Feb 2006
Location: Bruthen Victoria
Oddometer: 1,849
If Marquez hadn't crashed he would have finished second, still ahead of Dani.
__________________
If you succeed at first...don't look surprised!!

More enthusiasm than ability!!
twotyred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2013, 09:43 PM   #178
brents347
Trusting my Cape...
 
brents347's Avatar
 
Joined: Mar 2006
Location: Where the hell is Truckee, CA?
Oddometer: 3,435
O.k., second. That is still an assumption.
__________________
07 Yamaha R6
07 KTM 950 Super Enduro
04 KTM 250exc- plated two-stroke

01 Kawasaki KE100
74 Honda MR50
brents347 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2013, 09:46 PM   #179
wrk2surf
on the gas or brakes
 
wrk2surf's Avatar
 
Joined: Dec 2007
Location: THE exact center of California/Bass lake/Yosemite
Oddometer: 6,103
shoulda coulda woulda.. same thing happened to Jorge his first couple years.. only he got flung more as opposed to looooosing the front...
__________________
Thanks for the 2014 support:BELL HELMETS, SCOTT USA, Kriega USA, Carbon-pro.com, GPR stabilzers, Renazco Racing, Sidi/Motonation, Masters paint and body, Magura , motolab , Tripy GPS, Loctite and Dunlop tires .
wrk2surf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2013, 10:52 PM   #180
Pecha72
Beastly Adventurer
 
Joined: May 2008
Location: Helsinki, Finland
Oddometer: 3,096
Quote:
Originally Posted by brents347 View Post
The problem with this theory is that it sounds like you are assuming that if MM hadn't crashed in Italy, he would have won. That's a big assumption. And that's why thus far Pedrosa is the faster rider over race distance. No assumptions, no opinions or conjuncture. Just results. Is MM fast as stink? No doubt. Is Pedrosa the consistently faster rider at this point? That's what the points say.
I only said, that IF Marquez had not gone down a few laps before the finish in Italy, then he could have beaten Pedrosa in every other race this year. But he went down, and now itīs 4-2. Surely Pedrosa has been a bit wiser, and it shows on the points table. Just meant to say, that MM already gets frighteningly close to DP, and thatīs remarkable, when you think how little experience he still has on MotoGP (and also remember, how well DP is performing right now).
Pecha72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Share

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

.
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On

Forum Jump


Times are GMT -7.   It's 08:57 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright ADVrider 2011-2014