Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Old's Cool > Airheads
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-19-2013, 07:56 PM   #61
Headhog
Adventurer

Oddometer: 24
Add me to the list of new R100R owners. At the end of May, I picked up a '94 R100R Mystic. It was sitting in storage since 2006. I've now added 700 miles to it since cleaning it up and getting road worthy. These are fun machines.
Old 06-19-2013, 10:55 PM   #62
Plaka
Brevis illi vita est

Oddometer: 4,580
Quote:
Originally Posted by bPat View Post
Picked up the 1992 R100R last night, got to drive it about 100 miles home. A little shaky at first getting used to the turn signals and slow turns, but I feel much more confident now. I did get beautiful side hard cases with it and a slightly higher cafe style fairing as well as the original. A couple of times I've had problems getting out of neutral into first. I would release the clutch, roll the bike slightly and then I can hit first easily. Is this something common or a sign of big problems? It just purred on the highway, I think it's such a beautiful bike. It's so clean and flawless, hard to believe it's over 20 years old. It's totally original, the first thing my buddy says is to cut the fuel lines and put in a fuel filter, I want to keep it stock.

I think it's the stock dash, but the previous owner added a classy clock between the tach and speedometer.
Add fuel filters. Good and simple investment as a bike ages. Bings are good about tolerating dirt but no need to tempt the fates. Pop the carb bowls and have a look, if there is crap in the bottoms, definitely add the small conical filters. Dirt on the end of filler hoses at gas stations can be an issue. Like restroom door handles, you never know about the last guy. You have screens in the tank that will pick off flakes of tank lining and other big stuff. Fuel lines are likely due for replacement anyway. I replace mine ever other year or so.

Removing the EGR emissions system is a popular mod. Simple and you can keep all the bits in a box if you want. The bike runs better. Total emissions increase but if you compare total emmissions/miles traveled in a year, you're still a good citizen.

Quit worrying and ride it. Perhaps check the clutch adjustment and definately set the controls to match your feet. If it goes into first with a nice Clunk, you're golden. It should do this at rest and you might slip the clutch just a bit to line up the shift dogs. It doesn't have the fancy syncros of a car transmission.

Check tire pressures, especially the front. Handling should not be heavy. If someone has fitted an oversize front tire then it will be heavy.
Plaka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2013, 06:43 PM   #63
bPat
n00b

Oddometer: 9
Thanks for helping a newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Plaka View Post
Add fuel filters. Good and simple investment as a bike ages. Bings are good about tolerating dirt but no need to tempt the fates. Pop the carb bowls and have a look, if there is crap in the bottoms, definitely add the small conical filters. Dirt on the end of filler hoses at gas stations can be an issue. Like restroom door handles, you never know about the last guy. You have screens in the tank that will pick off flakes of tank lining and other big stuff. Fuel lines are likely due for replacement anyway. I replace mine ever other year or so.

Removing the EGR emissions system is a popular mod. Simple and you can keep all the bits in a box if you want. The bike runs better. Total emissions increase but if you compare total emmissions/miles traveled in a year, you're still a good citizen.

Quit worrying and ride it. Perhaps check the clutch adjustment and definately set the controls to match your feet. If it goes into first with a nice Clunk, you're golden. It should do this at rest and you might slip the clutch just a bit to line up the shift dogs. It doesn't have the fancy syncros of a car transmission.

Check tire pressures, especially the front. Handling should not be heavy. If someone has fitted an oversize front tire then it will be heavy.
Thanks for the tips, I have now read up on the emissions mod. I will do the fuel filters and stop worrying about the gears. Tires are fine, new and full, it's just me getting used to the bike. Plus I haven't ridden a bike in over 20 years. I'm showing pictures at work like some proud father.
bPat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2013, 06:43 PM   #64
bPat
n00b

Just found the steering lock and cruise control!!

A buddy of mine pointed out how to adjust the throttle so it stays on cruise control, it was almost there when I bought it, but he tightened it and now it works perfectly.

Has anyone else had problems with the bmw r100r steering lock, it's a key thingy on the steering column and my key fits find but it only turns half way. I've tried all sorts of jiggling and adjusting the steering but it doesn't seem to want to go all the way, any ideas? I don't want to force it too hard, they key looks a little delicate.
Old 07-18-2013, 11:31 PM   #65
Plaka
Brevis illi vita est

Oddometer: 4,580
Quote:
Originally Posted by bPat View Post
A buddy of mine pointed out how to adjust the throttle so it stays on cruise control, it was almost there when I bought it, but he tightened it and now it works perfectly.

Has anyone else had problems with the bmw r100r steering lock, it's a key thingy on the steering column and my key fits find but it only turns half way. I've tried all sorts of jiggling and adjusting the steering but it doesn't seem to want to go all the way, any ideas? I don't want to force it too hard, they key looks a little delicate.
Been some threads recently about people breaking off keys in them.

Theives can defeat them so easily I never use mine. Look in the top tube for the cable lock. Better than nothing for the quick-snatch type situations, and it fits in the top tube. For real security, use a real lock and something that can't be moved. And then tie a big mean dog to it. Or two.

The throttle lock isn't a "cruise control". It's a throttle lock. Using it as a crruise control can have some nasty consequences, like an otherwise avoidable accident followed quickly by a fragged motor. You do not have over RPM protection. This goes for the aftermarket clamp on jobbers too. Bad idea. Not that I haven't done it, like droning across Nebraska on 80. But conditions are rarely so consistent that I'm comfortable with it. I got one of those clip on paddle things. Works mo' bettah. You can't put both hands in your lap but you don't have to do more than drape you hand across the throttle. Easy to adjust speed for the traffic and terrain to hold pace...and when it's easy to do it tends to get done, which again makes for safer riding.

Unscrew the throttle lock past the spring tension and it goes bye-bye and you get to buy another, and a spring. It also wears out a bit faster using it as a cruise control.
Plaka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2013, 02:55 PM   #66
bPat
n00b

Cruise Control

Quote:
Originally Posted by Plaka View Post
Been some threads recently about people breaking off keys in them.

Theives can defeat them so easily I never use mine. Look in the top tube for the cable lock. Better than nothing for the quick-snatch type situations, and it fits in the top tube. For real security, use a real lock and something that can't be moved. And then tie a big mean dog to it. Or two.

The throttle lock isn't a "cruise control". It's a throttle lock. Using it as a crruise control can have some nasty consequences, like an otherwise avoidable accident followed quickly by a fragged motor. You do not have over RPM protection. This goes for the aftermarket clamp on jobbers too. Bad idea. Not that I haven't done it, like droning across Nebraska on 80. But conditions are rarely so consistent that I'm comfortable with it. I got one of those clip on paddle things. Works mo' bettah. You can't put both hands in your lap but you don't have to do more than drape you hand across the throttle. Easy to adjust speed for the traffic and terrain to hold pace...and when it's easy to do it tends to get done, which again makes for safer riding.

Unscrew the throttle lock past the spring tension and it goes bye-bye and you get to buy another, and a spring. It also wears out a bit faster using it as a cruise control.
thanks for the tips, I agree with you on the "cruise control", bad choice of words on my part. What I like about it is that my throttle hand needs a little break or shake once in a while, my hand gets numb. So, nice that you can take your hand off the throttle for 15 seconds to shake it and get the blood circulating again. I won't mess much with mine other than to adjust it 90 degrees one way or the other, I just want it to hold for 15 seconds. Interesting about the unscrewing part, I'll be careful about that.