Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Orange Crush
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-19-2013, 05:59 AM   #61
TIGERRIDER007
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 728
Just following this issue and was slightly confused (maybe not enough coffee yet), but is the heat issue with mainly standard models or R models, or random 1190 bikes?

I want one of these, here in the states, but also have the Super Tenere on my short list, and want to be as sure as possible...you know, in case I have to pull the trigger.
TIGERRIDER007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2013, 07:02 AM   #62
mcmann
Motorcycle Maniac

Oddometer: 1,475
The ST is a great street bike . . . especially when riding during the rainy season due to shaft drive. However, if you plan to do much off road riding . . . The 1190R would be my pick.

I was thinking of replacing my 950A with a 1190R. Now I am thinking of keeping the 950A for off road rides . . . And get the 1190A for more street oriented trips & rides . . . Get a sheep skin seat cover for the hot summer etc.

You only live once . . .

2011 DL650 V-Strom "Real World"
2014 FZ-09 for the "WOW World"
mcmann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2013, 07:30 AM   #63
igorpetrovich
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 181
with this solution I solved the problem, the heat dosn't get to the left leg anymore. with 5 € i bought a plastic sheet 1 mm thick and shaped it.
now it's better than a GS....

Old 06-19-2013, 07:42 AM   #64
Viajaendl
Adventurer

Oddometer: 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by igorpetrovich View Post
with this solution I solved the problem, the heat dosn't get to the left leg anymore. with 5 € i bought a plastic sheet 1 mm thick and shaped it.
now it's better than a GS....

Under the seat too, or just in left side?
Viajaendl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2013, 07:50 AM   #65
TIGERRIDER007
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 728
Quote:
Originally Posted by mcmann View Post
The ST is a great street bike . . . especially when riding during the rainy season due to shaft drive. However, if you plan to do much off road riding . . . The 1190R would be my pick.

I was thinking of replacing my 950A with a 1190R. Now I am thinking of keeping the 950A for off road rides . . . And get the 1190A for more street oriented trips & rides . . . Get a sheep skin seat cover for the hot summer etc.

You only live once . . .
That was the other decision, R or standard 1190...I was thinking of standard as well, just like you, more street use with a little exploration on the side!

Also, how long will that plastic last with prolonged heat exposure? Is it pretty durable?
TIGERRIDER007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2013, 08:00 AM   #66
igorpetrovich
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by TIGERRIDER007 View Post
That was the other decision, R or standard 1190...I was thinking of standard as well, just like you, more street use with a little exploration on the side!

Also, how long will that plastic last with prolonged heat exposure? Is it pretty durable?
I don't personally have problem with the heat of the seat, I put the plastic on the left side going up to the frame under the seat.
Originally I did the right side as well but it's no necessary.

Yesterday and today we have 36° an it works fine.
Regrding the durability of the plastic I don't know but I don't think is a problem, the distance from the cilinder is sufficent and it dosen't melt. I also tried to take the oil temperature up to 96°, no problem...
Old 06-19-2013, 12:32 PM   #67
Tancakar
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 357
Quote:
I don't personally have problem with the heat of the seat, I put the plastic on the left side going up to the frame under the seat.
Originally I did the right side as well but it's no necessary.

Yesterday and today we have 36° an it works fine.
Regrding the durability of the plastic I don't know but I don't think is a problem, the distance from the cilinder is sufficent and it dosen't melt. I also tried to take the oil temperature up to 96°, no problem...
Are you sure it's not going to melt on engine? Where did you get it it can't be a normal 2 mm plastic sheet?
Tancakar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2013, 01:53 PM   #68
igorpetrovich
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tancakar View Post
Are you sure it's not going to melt on engine? Where did you get it it can't be a normal 2 mm plastic sheet?
yes I'm sure because with 36° outside temp. with the bike stopped I accelerated and toke the engine at it's maximum temperature, the oil was almost 100° and the fans working. I coulld't get it any hoter and the plastic resisted. It's 3 cm from the cylinder.
anyway, a thicker plastic sheet would fit on the left, the right side is more complicated.

igorpetrovich screwed with this post 06-19-2013 at 02:54 PM
igorpetrovich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2013, 09:47 PM   #69
gefr
Life is a trip

Oddometer: 3,732
If there is room for a sheet passing under the seal and to the other side

There are some quite durable spongy rubber sheets that could help for both heat issues: under the seat and towards the left leg.
BTW good idea fellas.
Cheers.
gefr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2013, 12:20 AM   #70
Tancakar
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 357
I will try to find some this weekend
Tancakar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2013, 05:31 AM   #71
mcmann
Motorcycle Maniac

Oddometer: 1,475
Quote:
yes I'm sure because with 36° outside temp. with the bike stopped I accelerated and toke the engine at it's maximum temperature, the oil was almost 100° and the fans working. I coulld't get it any hoter and the plastic resisted. It's 3 cm from the cylinder.
anyway, a thicker plastic sheet would fit on the left, the right side is more complicated.
If the material is ABS:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Acrylon...adiene_styrene

For the majority of applications, ABS can be used between −20 and 80 °C (-4 and 176 °F) as its mechanical properties vary with temperature

2011 DL650 V-Strom "Real World"
2014 FZ-09 for the "WOW World"
mcmann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2013, 09:29 AM   #72
trailjammer
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 329
950/990 Heat Shield by Trailjammer Designs

Quote:
Originally Posted by DSM8 View Post
I had similar issues with the 990.

I had the pipes ceramic coated inside and out, there are difference types of coatings, mine was the one that provided the most amount of heat insulation.

That has made a huge difference in the amount of heat being felt off the pipes. Also aftermarket exhaust if an option does a great deal to remove the heat signature as well.

I WOULD NOT wrap the pipes because KTM uses a very thin metal for their headers and they are extremely susceptible to crystalline fractures that result from being wrapped, in essence they cook themselves apart due to the excess heat retained from the wraps.

A good read about this very problem:

http://www.centuryperformance.com/ex...o-not-use.html
I too had heat issues w/the 990. So I started making these guards and people started asking about them. They keep the heat off your leg on the right side and also keeps the heat from burning up your passengers boots. Especially in slow traffic.

I'm still waiting for the 1190 to hit the U.S. It'll probably be another month or so at least. Once I get my hands on one of those, we'll work on a prototype for the side heat shields.
Old 10-10-2013, 02:11 PM   #73
KMC1
There is no spoon.

Oddometer: 2,283
I'm bookmarking this!

An Overview of the United States National Debt: http://www.davemanuel.com/us-national-debt-clock.php
KMC1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2013, 09:29 PM   #74
verge
Adventurer

Oddometer: 14
one hot one not

I rode both the R and standard models today at a demo day that Reno KTM hosted. It was in the high 60's so they didn't get too hot. I didn't notice it on the R but I did on the standard. It may be just a coincidence. I felt it more when I was pinching the tank shrouds with my legs. It was no big deal but I think it would be on a hot day. Hopefully they come up with a solution because the 1190's are a blast to ride!
verge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2013, 10:18 PM   #75
Just Paul
Pro Cat Herder

Oddometer: 2,093
Quote:
Originally Posted by trailjammer View Post
I too had heat issues w/the 990. So I started making these guards and people started asking about them. They keep the heat off your leg on the right side and also keeps the heat from burning up your passengers boots. Especially in slow traffic.

I'm still waiting for the 1190 to hit the U.S. It'll probably be another month or so at least. Once I get my hands on one of those, we'll work on a prototype for the side heat shields.

+1 for the TJ Designs Heat Shield. I have one and love it

“The world is a book and those who do not travel read only one page.” – St. Augustine
Just Paul is offline   Reply With Quote