Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-11-2013, 10:01 AM   #61
AdventureLeo OP
Adventurer

Oddometer: 86
Quote:
Originally Posted by Two Moto Kiwis View Post
Will see YOU there .... we are going too WOH HOH ... will finally see an 1190 in person
Cool!

Nice Homepage too! ;-)
Old 06-11-2013, 10:02 AM   #62
AdventureLeo OP
Adventurer

Awesome! AFAM next sponsor! This is really great! May the next service come.
Old 06-19-2013, 08:46 AM   #63
AdventureLeo OP
Adventurer

Ok guys!

I ordered all the necessary parts and I think my KTM is now almost ready for adventure.

There is just one thing that still keeps me thinking. The tires and rims. I got no Problem with the tubeless ones but I somehow would like to have the option to insert a tube in case there is a big hole in the tire or something like this.

For above mentioned reasons it's not so easy to insert a tube in the new rim at the backwheel.

Do you think there will be any kind of "special tube" available? I just had a phone call with Joe Pichler ( a well known 1190 adventurer) and he highly recomment's to use smaller tires and tube tires?!? With other rims of course!

What do you think?

Greetings Martin
Old 06-20-2013, 01:48 AM   #64
LukasM
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,334
If you are going to stick to roads and/or drive slowly and carefully when going off road, the stock wide tubeless rims will handle nicer and be easier to plug up.

They will however get damaged much faster than narrower rims, and you'll have to cut out the sealing rubber band if they start leaking and you want to put in a tube.

If you like going offroad and it's likely that you will hit stuff, I would fit a set of SE rims, they are narrow and strong.
LukasM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2013, 06:56 AM   #65
Jaimoto
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,204
Hey Martin,
I think that the big worry with your wheels is they have a very soft rim.
See pics and read this thread:
http://www.wilddog.za.net/forum/inde...topic=125301.0
Even on a nice and flat gravel highway they were dented and loose it's air...I would run a tube in the front for sure.

Don't know the kind of places you're planning to ride but if you'll just gonna ride regular roads I won't be that worried. I mean, you can travel through south America with a FJR/Goldwing/... or a scooter, so I don't see how the 1190 could be worst than any other bike.

But if gnarly stuff is on your agenda, I agree changing wheels is a good idea. Keep in mind that if you go too narrow (let's say 2.5 rear) your tires won't last if you ride lots of tarmac (and you will), due to the small contact patch.
Maybe it's not a bad idea to install the rims that we all hate, the also soft 990 rims: yes they bent and they are too wide for offroad but since you'll be just travelling and not trying to win an enduro race they will hold.
They are tube type so you will be kind of safe offroad, and they are wide enough to give a nice and wide contact patch on the road.
And they should be easy and cheap to get since nobody wants them

A cheaper option would be just install a good front rim (from the SE) and keep the rear wheel as is. It shouldn't be that hard to seal the current valve stem hole and drill a new centered hole in the rim so you can use regular tubes.

And a third option would be disregard all of the above since I'm not experienced with that!

2007 KTM 990 Adventure
2012 Yamaha BWs 125
Jaimoto is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2013, 04:52 AM   #66
KTM Pilot
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 428
Bad Fuel Dongle and traction control settings

Quote:
Originally Posted by AdventureLeo View Post
I bought this one already. ;-)

Hi Martn,

I'm interested in the Bad Fuel Dongle (BFD) ability to save preferences in regard to ABS and traction control - If I buy an 1190, I still want to run on normal (high) octane setting but be able to save my traction/braking preferences.

Does the BFD create another 'custom' map or change one of the Rain/Street/Track/Off-road maps?

Thanks for any feedback.
Konrad
Old 10-02-2013, 09:03 AM   #67
AdventureLeo OP
Adventurer

Hi there!

I am almost on my way! Just another week before I will start my trip to Chile...

Can't wait for it. ... It's so exciting.

Greetings

Martin
Old 10-02-2013, 09:05 AM   #68
AdventureLeo OP
Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by KTM Pilot View Post
Hi Martn,

I'm interested in the Bad Fuel Dongle (BFD) ability to save preferences in regard to ABS and traction control - If I buy an 1190, I still want to run on normal (high) octane setting but be able to save my traction/braking preferences.

Does the BFD create another 'custom' map or change one of the Rain/Street/Track/Off-road maps?

Thanks for any feedback.
Konrad
No - everything stays the same. You can just disable ABS and Traction Control... and it will stay like this even when the bike is switched off.

To use bad fuel the Traction Control needs to be disabled... That's all!

Greetings
Old 10-02-2013, 09:09 AM   #69
AdventureLeo OP
Adventurer

Oh...

and here is my bike!

http://freiheitenwelt.de/bilder/Fore...dventureTT.jpg

Greetings

P.S. Couldn't manage to upload the picture. ;-(
Old 10-02-2013, 11:08 PM   #70
jmcg
Turpinated..

Oddometer: 412

Good luck on your journey.

JM.
jmcg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2013, 12:23 AM   #71
Toors
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 120
Have a look at this link: some very good ideas there and coming from a person which is highly experienced in riding in remote places.

http://www.wilddog.za.net/forum/inde...topic=131440.0

I would definitely upgrade the filter (have a look at the 1190 Uni filter - it resolves all the issues.

Sparkplug spanner - there is none in the 1190 tool kit - there is a nice one available from CJ racing - see ktm twins

Consider getting the KTM rally footpegs or even better the pro moto billet wide ones - will really add comfort to those long stretches that you have to stand. one other item for comfort is the KTM PHDS.

For an around the world trip I'll definitely fit tubes (and changes the rims to stronger rims) we have had massive problems over here with the soft front rims and plenty of smileys.

As far as your toolkit is concerned - strip your bike down and service it (change the filters, change the tyres (yourself) change the oil, bearings, replace the clutch and break fluid) - every tool you need to do this - I'll pack, personally Ill take less clothes and more tools. Make sure you have all the stuff in your puncture repair kit (including gators to fix a tear in a side wall of a tyre on the inside and q-Bond to fix the cut on the outside... steel glue and steel putty - two forms of air (bombs and a small bicycle hand pump and an electrical pump if you have space, MTB jumper cables and a MTB tow rope. Proper bead lube will also save you plenty of pain when you have to remove the tyres.

Extra spark plugs and fuel filter (the fuel filter clogs up very easily with bad fuel - as you'll find in 3rd world countries - make sure you know how to change the fuel filter. Get KTM's bad fuel dongle...

small amounts of copper slip, waterproof grease, brake fluid and mineral oil. (you have to be able to bleed the brakes and clutch anywhere) Make sure your bike has a proper sump guard so that you don't fubar the sump (if not take at least 4l of oil so that you can fix sump (with the metal stuff and replace oil)

consider mini chain breaker and press (with master chain links)

for the 1190 I'll also get the by pass switch for the kick stand.

get proper hand guards with metal backing (cycra, barkbuster etc) you will drop the bike and break the levers and break fluid reservoir (Folding mirrors and folding break levers will also be a nice to have)

lastly (ways to purify your water) tablets or something like life straw and a proper 1st aid kit. stuff for your stomach (you will get a stomach bug) and a dose of general antibiotics (two day worth of dehydrated emergency food) you can break down next to a road in Africa/Russia and not see another person in days...

bets of luck and enjoy
Toors is offline   Reply With Quote