Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > Latin America
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-14-2013, 10:50 PM   #16
crashmaster
ow, my balls!

Oddometer: 5,095
Dont listen to all the BS. I wonder how many of those US citizens killed were part of the drug trade or trying to make some drug deals?

Just use your head, be respectful of people, dont try to buy drugs, dont get completely shit faced in a local bar, keep your guard up for anything that's not quite right, and chances are that you will never have one even slightly negative experience. Standard solo travel rules apply, nothing more. Its not rocket science and youre not going to a war zone.

crashmaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2013, 05:35 AM   #17
TeeVee
His mudda was a mudda!

Oddometer: 751
Quote:
Originally Posted by TeeVee View Post
don't stop for anyone or anything not wearing a uniform, unless of course they're pointing a gun at you, in which case give them everything and live to buy it all over again, or die a lonely death on the side of the road in central america.

be smart and you'll enjoy yourself immensely.
funny, this is what i said to begin with...
TeeVee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2013, 05:46 AM   #18
TeeVee
His mudda was a mudda!

Quote:
Originally Posted by crashmaster View Post
Dont listen to all the BS. I wonder how many of those US citizens killed were part of the drug trade or trying to make some drug deals?

Just use your head, be respectful of people, dont try to buy drugs, dont get completely shit faced in a local bar, keep your guard up for anything that's not quite right, and chances are that you will never have one even slightly negative experience. Standard solo travel rules apply, nothing more. Its not rocket science and youre not going to a war zone.
i somehow doubt that drug dealers would be added to the list considering the lists are travel advisories not "how to's" for drug runners. however, the numbers are not broken down so who knows.

bottom line is that honduras is the most dangerous and guatemala is fairly high up on the list among the most dangerous countries in the world. sure, most of the violence is against other locals, but that is no guarantee that a solo tourist isn't gonna be targeted.
Old 06-15-2013, 05:56 AM   #19
bike-nicaragua
Adventurer

Oddometer: 63
If you are travelling with a motorbike nobody can see from far away if you are a foreigner or a local guy. That's an advantage.

For my opinion, Guatemala, Honduras and El Salvador are more dangerous than Nicaragua, Costa Rica and Panama. I know all the countries and I am living in Nicaragua since last year.
Most of the killings are between the drug cartels, but not all. Our neighbours family lives in Honduras. Tegucigalpa and San Pedro Sula are pretty dangerous. I wouldn't go to this places. And there is nothing special to see there. The same for Guatemala City.

As many told before, local people in rural areas are mostly very friendly.

If you go out in the night for drinking, check out where you go and take a (safe) taxi in bigger cities. In bigger cities it is like in many countries in the world. It depends much on the area (barrio) where you are. Ask the locals. They will tell you. But sometimes they tell you some "horrorstories"

Good luck and enjoy your trip. If you come to Nicaragua, visit us in León.

saludos Jürgen
bike-nicaragua is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2013, 08:10 AM   #20
OK Lucinda
n00b

Oddometer: 204
A good determinant of the future is the past.

Any biker related incidents in the last couple of years? I've been in CA for 5 months and haven't heard a single thing.
OK Lucinda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2013, 10:46 AM   #21
GuateRider
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,367
Quote:
come again?

" Since December 2008, 31 murders of U.S. citizens have been reported in Guatemala, including six in 2011. In 2012, six U.S. citizens were the victims of murder or attempted murder, three of which occurred in November and December" http://travel.state.gov/travel/cis_p...29.html#victim

The travel advisories of the State Department is a political pressure instrument (just look at what political context caused the recently issued travel warning for El Salvador); if it's convenient for them , they will also tell you that we have secret weapons of mass destruction down here .

Quote:
Originally Posted by OK Lucinda View Post
A good determinant of the future is the past.

Any biker related incidents in the last couple of years? I've been in CA for 5 months and haven't heard a single thing.

I've been living and riding here for the last 34 years and all I've ever heard of , are a few robberies at the south side of Lake Atitlan (between Santiago and San Pedro)
Only one of the victims got some bruises, when the robbers used there "sophisticated,automatic weapons" to stop him : They threw rocks at him and one rock hit him on the shoulder
Old 06-16-2013, 07:28 AM   #22
TeeVee
His mudda was a mudda!

Quote:
Originally Posted by GuateRider View Post
The travel advisories of the State Department is a political pressure instrument (just look at what political context caused the recently issued travel warning for El Salvador); if it's convenient for them , they will also tell you that we have secret weapons of mass destruction down here .
well, educate yourself and spend a few minutes on google searching for murders that reported by the media--local and foreign.

you protest too much. just admit that they are dangerous countries, just like baltimore is a dangerous city. notwithstanding that, you can expect to make it through fine so long as you are smart and stay out of obviously shaddy looking places, don't ride at night, and stop only for clearly legitimate police stops.

this is what i said to begin with. i'm stickin to it. and i'm done with this argument.
Old 06-16-2013, 12:37 PM   #23
Saralou
Worldwide Rider

Oddometer: 679
Laugh safer than Huston

We just spent 7 months riding in Mexico and Central America. We had no issues at all. Listen to Guaterider! We never felt unsafe riding or exporing on foot. Use common sense as you should evertwhere. Fear sells the news. 99 % of people are normal hardworiking joes just like you. The chance of being targeted is very small.

I'd be more worried about the TOPE!

Sara

ADV RR Finding Freedom...World Wide Ride

Join the Adventure
Saralou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2013, 02:43 PM   #24
what car??
down the road

Oddometer: 367
Quote:
Originally Posted by AviatorTroy View Post
Fuck that. You paint such a welcoming picture. There's plenty of places in the civilized world I haven't seen yet, thanks.
Good, then stay home and enjoy!! Not trying to be an ass or anything, if we all read the craptacular gov websites; NO ONE would travel anywhere. It's all a bunch of shit scare tactics to make the world seem like it's a dangerous place.

"'well, educate yourself and spend a few minutes on google searching for murders that reported by the media--local and foreign.'"

Sure educate yourself, but about the local customs and traditions so you can enjoy yourself more so and not be culturally insensitive. Someone's gotta pay for those statistics that you read in the papers!! Don't be a goof and you should be just fine!!

I've been in Latin America, Mexico to Costa Rica since Aug 2012 and have had no issues!! Well almost; the misses and I fell over just after paying the exit toll at the tollbooth on the El Paso border ; yup it's on tape (well video anyway). We also had a slow speed crash in Honduras .

Aside from that everything has been pretty awesome!! Beautiful scenery, wonderful riding, and a great time!! Not using a GPS and stopping and asking directions when not totally sure has had it's rewards! And not at the wrong end of a gun either. People are and have been gracious and helpful!!

Enjoy your adventure down here!!
what car?? is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2013, 03:38 PM   #25
GuateRider
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,367
Laugh

Quote:
well, educate yourself and spend a few minutes on google .

you protest too much.

Education for me goes way beyond googling a few minutes or just doing some copy - paste .
Education for me means , not pretending to know everything about a country I don't know ,and just having passed through once as a guest is not enough to know the country or to judge it .
Education means to have the intelectual capacity to analyze numbers and statistics.
Education means not pretending to be entitled to tell other people to educate themselves.

"You protest too much"

I don't protest at all . I'm just fed up with all the bad press and bullshit we are getting down here and even more with people like yourself who don't anything else besides criticizing and thinking to know everything about our countries.

It's exactly people with your attitude who create resentment for all the other open minded, respectful travelers coming through .
Old 06-20-2013, 07:56 AM   #26
ans3 OP
Adventurer

Oddometer: 28
Wow.

It's great to get an opinion from all of you even though you don't agree on everything.

Thanks to all of you for taking the time to reply to this thread.

I think i'm much more aware of how things are down there than before.

I guess I'll stay away from government sites and horror stories in the news from now on.

It's also great to get the names of people who know the area and are more experienced than I am.

I might send some of you a pm if i need information about certain places or motorcycle related issues.
Hope that's ok.

All the best.
Atli.
ans3 is offline   Reply With Quote