Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-09-2013, 09:17 PM   #46
digger440 OP
Adventurer

Oddometer: 74
Quote:
Originally Posted by bill42 View Post
FYI not one of your photos are showing up...
But I was able to click the links and delete some extra IMG text after the .jpg, and hey, that is a pretty cool metal box you made there. I was thinking of making of finding a similar box like this to use as a storage area for tools on my bike as I have no place to hide stuff.

Fixxxxxed
Old 06-19-2013, 05:05 AM   #47
digger440 OP
Adventurer

So I had some ambition tonight, I measured for brake lines as I am ditching the under the tank routing. I finished mounting the exhaust (no pic though it was mundane enough I did not feel it worthy of photos.)

As I said a while back I had an idea for COP ignition so I purchase a pair of Ford v-8 coils. Of course I mocked them up first

Then I built a bracket to hold them in place

I needed to mount the bracket to the head so I drilled holes in the first two rows of fins and installed threaded inserts.

Installed inserts ahoy

And here is the finished product coils bolted up and ready to go

If you have been following along I built this battery cover in the last installment

Well tonight I took a Scotch-brite wheel to it with extreme prejudice and it smoothed out nicely I am pleased

I have air cleaner and brakeline plans next and I have a good idea for the fuel filter/crossover but I need some disposable cash first

To be continued...
Old 06-20-2013, 07:56 AM   #48
Kt-88
I like everything.

Oddometer: 463
Neat!
Kt-88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2013, 07:21 AM   #49
digger440 OP
Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kt-88 View Post
Neat!

Thanks, but then again you like everything lol
Old 06-22-2013, 10:23 PM   #50
Kt-88
I like everything.

Oddometer: 463
Quote:
Originally Posted by digger440 View Post
Thanks, but then again you like everything lol
I just stay out of threads I don't. ADV has enough armchair naysayers. Lol.
Kt-88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2013, 05:32 AM   #51
digger440 OP
Adventurer

Tonight I started the headlight mounting brackets. Last week I ordered a set of Dominator headlights and a Linx flyscreen from Jesterstrickbits.co.uk

One of my favorite looks for a bike is the Speed Triple, I like the bug eye for some reason which is why I went with the Dominator setup.

Anyhow since the lights are on their way I need a way to mount them and all of the "universal" 36mm brackets look cheesy so I will build my own.

I started out with some 6061-0 1.75 ID pipe and cut it into 1 inch rings

The first thing I have to do is square up the saw cut edges, turn all 4 to the same OAL and cut the outside surface to look nice

After makeing the outside purdy I tried to get all four within +/- 0.005 (which is amazing for the crap ass lathe I am using)

I then cut the ends off and shaped them using a vise and a 1.5 inch Ti billet as a mandrel. I had it floating around in a bucket full of Ti scraps (I plan on using the Billet to make rear bobbins later on)

Here they are on the forks, I purposly made them wide to cover some rust pits in the area of fork where they mount.

Hopefully me Lights and screen get here soon

TBC...
Old 07-03-2013, 03:01 PM   #52
digger440 OP
Adventurer

This last weekend my lights and flyscreen showed up at the post office, so last night I got on the ball and built the rest of the mounts. I started with some 1"X 1/8 aluminum stock and cut it to length.

I then took the pieces and used a piece of Titanium billet to form the curve for the fork

Four done and they fit pretty well

Next step is to drill and tap the collars on the end

Once they were bolted up I drilled and tapped the other end. When I went to the hardware store this weekend in preperation I was running on 3 hours sleep for a 30 hour period so my math skills were not up to par, I got only eight of the 16 5x.80 bolts I needed. And at 11:30 pm there are not a lot of places open for hardware.

Since the factory gauges were meant to be used with the fairing they obtusely stuck up in the air like an erection at a nudist colony. So, I cut the factory gauge bracket down and welded it back together so the gauges were just off the triple clamp

With the gauges in place I drilled the fork clamps for threaded inserts and installed them

I then made some support brackets out of some aluminum in the odds and ends bucket. I had to tweak the ends to match the lights and when I put the ear in the vice I found that I had made the ears out of 7075-T6 it was a total bitch to bend

They are pretty plain-jane right now, but I plan on adding some lightening holes to purdy them up before sending them off for powdercoating

In the below photo you can see how low the gauges now sit.

And here is the result, I am pleased with it. I know I am mixing a coupe of genres cafe racer/streetfighter but I like the attitude of the speed triple look with the classic tail and dual shocks of a cafe racer. Comments good and bad are appreciated

I also built the intake system last night. I did not want to run pod types and since the original area of the airbox is now the battery cover I had to get creative.

I have always liked the look of external piping on turbo bikes and a longer intake track usually help smooth out the incoming air. so I bought a couple of these and chopped them up

I also bought this dual inlet K&N

Now if you remember I am using COP ignition and I have a little extra room under the tank where the stock coils bolted up. So that is where the airfilter was going. It did require that I remove a couple of the vent slats from the started cover to fit it though.

It fits much better than I expected and fills the relief cut fully. Next stop is to mock up the bends I cut from the original mandrel bend.

One of the things I had to work around was frame braces that I plan to install when the parts get here. On the left side of the bike I also had to work around the underseat exhaust I built

And here it is mocked on the left side

I welded them up and now I have to smooth them prior to powdercaot. the are not obtrusive and fill out the engine compartment. I like the "busy" but purposeful look and they add support for the carbs.

And lastly I was shopping at the local Goodwill thrift store a while back and found this for $19.99. My Kawasaki has no place for bobbins to use it but that Titanium billet gave me an iderrrr....

TO BE CONTINUED........
Old 07-13-2013, 04:03 PM   #53
digger440 OP
Adventurer

So I have been a tad slow in updating, this week has been super busy at work and I just havent had time to post. I shouldnt be such a pussy, sleep is for the weak lol

Anyway I got some threaded tube ends, rod end bearings and some pre-fab frame tabs because I wanted to make a set of frame braces.

They are pretty simple just weld in the ends, screw in the bearings and weld the tabs on the frame. My wife happened to be hanging with me in the shop and took some photos.

They fit well and dont touch the intake pipes or exhaust.

Next I bent some fuel lines from the petcocks to the fuel filter bolted to the back of the battery cover. I took a few tries even with the 2 or 3 different benders I have to get a reasonable mirror image, and that didnt have a big kink in the middle of a bend because I was a dumb ass

And here they are

With the intake pipes installed

I am getting a bit excited as I am closing in on making it run probably a month off or so. I am also looking forward to my next build. I was given another freebie unloved bike over the weekend which I have some cool ideas for. Just a teaser it is a 1200 cc V-4
Old 07-13-2013, 04:10 PM   #54
chasbo
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,510
That is really starting to come together nicely now!
Old 07-13-2013, 04:32 PM   #55
Airhead Wrangler
Adios Mexico

Oddometer: 6,348
What's the reason for the accel coils out on the cylinders? Aren't they going to get cooked out there? Also, speaking of cooked, running the exhaust right under your seat pan is going to melt the seat pan if you use one of the later plastic ones or just cook the vinyl if you use an earlier metal one. I like that aluminum infill cover where the airbox used to live. Are you running a dual shock swingarm with a single shock?

Current rides: HPN #834, '93 R100GSPD "red rocket", '73 R75/5 Toaster mongrel, '80 Ducati Pantah 500SL, '92 DR350, '67 Honda SS50, '80 Honda Chaly.
Airhead Wrangler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2013, 11:10 PM   #56
digger440 OP
Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by chasbo View Post
That is really starting to come together nicely now!
Thanks, yeah the image I had in my head is finally starting to show through. I cant wait to get it in paint!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Airhead Wrangler View Post
What's the reason for the accel coils out on the cylinders? Aren't they going to get cooked out there? Also, speaking of cooked, running the exhaust right under your seat pan is going to melt the seat pan if you use one of the later plastic ones or just cook the vinyl if you use an earlier metal one. I like that aluminum infill cover where the airbox used to live. Are you running a dual shock swingarm with a single shock?
I used those coils for a couple different reasons, they look different not your standard airhead fare. And, since they are off a ford truck engine, in case off failure I can go to any Auto-zone or Kragen and pick one up on a Sunday. They also match the color scheme (they are purdy yellow).

As far as addressing the heat the will be subjected to I am not too concerned about it. I dont know if you are familiar with Ford 4.6/5.4/6.8 liter engines but these coil sit next to the valve cover in direct contact with the head. They are constantly subjected to 130-150 degree temps and even higher in some locations (Arizona or the Mojave for example). I doubt they will fail but if they do I will just do something else (that is the fun part)

If you scroll up or even go to the next page back you can see the seat mounted. It has a metal pan and I had planned to monitor it and if it got too hot I have room for a heatsheild

As far as the shocks i am running duals I just removed the left side so I could weld on the tabs for the frame braces. go back in this tread and you will see both mounted up
Old 07-16-2013, 04:59 PM   #57
digger440 OP
Adventurer

As can bee see from the first attempt on page 1 upholstery is not one of the things I am good at. And, after my last fail attempt I was convinced that I could not even do a temporary seat. Well with some patience and beer I lost my irrational fear of foam covering. I wanted a temp seat as I dont have a lot of disposible cash and I am saving up for brake lines so I just dont have it in my wallet right now to get a seat built by someone who knows what they are doing.

I got these from the thrift store, the electric knife was $3.00, the floatation cushion was $3.50 and the yoga mat was $3.00. I already had glue and cover material kicking around from the last attempt.

I made a couple different layers separated with the yoga amt and glued it together. The case of oil is a glue weight

After gluing it and shaping it with the electric knife I started to put on the cover

After getting it stretched I bolted it up to the tail and put it on. Not a professional job but close enough until I blow it apart for paint.

Old 07-25-2013, 10:47 PM   #58
digger440 OP
Adventurer

So I finaly got off my ass and got time to post some pics. I have been working on a bunch of little things which take up a bit of time.

A few posts ago I talked about making bobbins for a rear stand I found at the local thrift store. I had a 1.5" grade 2 Titanium billet in the odds-n-ends bucket so I cut off some chunks only to discover that they would not fit in my itty-bitty lathe. so I drilled a hole and used a bolt as a mandrel so I could turn them to about 1.25" diameter. I faced them and left a small shoulder on the bolt and shock sides. I also chamfered the edges and replaced the bolt and stud that mounted the bottom of the shocks with longer 12.9 prop class allens.

Here is a photo of them from start to finish. I started a couple extras as I will put them on my ZX6 too.

And here they are all bolted up

With that done I had to make real shift linkage to replace the temporary one I made to fit the exhaust. I used a 3/8 aluminum rad and turned it down on each end to 6mm, threaded it and bent it the correct shape. It look a ton better that the ready-rod temp one I built.

I had to plug the pulse air system so I took the fitting I had removed from the head, put them in the lathe and turned off the part that the tube attaches to. I then drilled and tapped them for an 1/8 NPT steel plug and staked it into place once I screwed it into the fitting.

For the rear lights I got some flush mount GSXR turn signal and a cat-eye brake/tail light. All have smoke colored lenses which blend into the tail, the brake light especially, with it off you can tell it's there (however the flash on my camera relects off the lens making it more visible than it is). but it is very visible while on. I removed the rear roundel and used a countersunk allen to bolt the bracket on that holds the light.

I have got the Battery mount and fuze/junction block mounted but I will put that in a new post
Old 07-26-2013, 02:12 PM   #59
globalt38
Swimmin W/Waterwings

Oddometer: 536
Quote:
Originally Posted by digger440 View Post
As I said a while back I had an idea for COP ignition so I purchase a pair of Ford v-8 coils. Of course I mocked them up first

And here is the finished product coils bolted up and ready to go

For some reason I'm very intriqued by this (incorporation of the ford v8 coils) - interested in seeing how it turns out!

"If you want to be happy for a Day, Drink. If you want to be happy for a Year, Marry. If you want to be happy for a lifetime, Ride a BMW!"
You can have my Airhead when you pry it from my cold dead fingers!
globalt38 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2013, 01:12 AM   #60
digger440 OP
Adventurer

Thanks I will let you know. I have this pet peeve with bikes that you cant get parts at any parts store. I already have a WeaponX ignition module but I do not think I am going to use it as I cant go get it at Vato-Zone on a sunday afternoon.

I will keep you posted