Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-18-2013, 10:46 AM   #31
charlieS OP
Adventurer

Oddometer: 35
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sjoerd Bakker View Post
Intresting so far. Obviously not your first trip in Mexico...
Sjoerd,

It *is* my first trip to Mexico :) My first trip with more than 4 days of riding, in fact.

You're right though - the PV meetup is a plan. But I wasn't 100% sure I was doing it, until I was in Los Mochis. This has turned into a 4-star hangout in beach towns, which is what I didn't want.

Anyway, you're very right about Oaxaca. If I venture that far south, I'll be riding quite non-leisurely back home.

Perhaps copper canyon is still in reach. I'm quite liking the idea of venturing inland and making my way, slowly, up North.
Old 06-18-2013, 11:26 AM   #32
71tr
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 460
Quote:
Originally Posted by charlieS View Post
"I'm now in Day 1 of "unplanned, just fucking go to Mexico for 2 weeks."

Brilliant tag line.
71tr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2013, 04:11 PM   #33
charlieS OP
Adventurer

Zomg

I'll do pictures and a proper write-up soon.. but I'm super excited right now, and must tell you guys:

Rode from Mazatlan to San Blas. The road to San Blas was excellent, but the road south toward PV is even better! Mex 74 - before you hit 200... winds its way through the hills, to the beach, back up into the hills.. and tons of "20 mph" sweepers... on smooth-as-ass blacktop. To top it off, the climate is changing from desert/grasslands, to tropical jungle. It's a beautiful area :)
Old 06-20-2013, 08:41 AM   #34
Blind Warrior
Lost in the Ozone

Oddometer: 353
Where will you head after PV? Mex 200 along the coast is a nice ride. Maybe to Lazaro Cardenas and then head inland to Urupan? I wish it were me dealing with these decisions.

"The United States is a nation of laws: badly written and randomly enforced." - Frank Zappa
Blind Warrior is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2013, 12:36 PM   #35
charlieS OP
Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blind Warrior View Post
Where will you head after PV? Mex 200 along the coast is a nice ride. Maybe to Lazaro Cardenas and then head inland to Urupan? I wish it were me dealing with these decisions.
Haven't decided yet. Leaving tomorrow morning.. either a bit south, and perhaps Uruapan, or cut straight over to Guadalajara and head North from there...
Old 06-20-2013, 08:05 PM   #36
charlieS OP
Adventurer

Days 4-7, chilling in not-Mexico

The use of the word "chilling" is definitely a stretch.

Day 4 was travel to Mazatlan, and I arrived just after 1pm.

Day 6, I traveled to Puerto Vallarta (PV) and arrived around 5pm. And tomorrow I'm heading toward Guadalajara, but will cut north just prior to avoid running through the large city.

So, pictures.

Note: sorry, two images don't work - I think because the URLs contain '..' (stupid faux-security settings on the forum..). You can view the original blog post here:
http://charlierides.com/news/days-4-...in-not-mexico/
Or more photos here:
http://pictures.schluting.com/MotoRides/Mexico-2013

I stayed at the Ramada hotel in Mazatlan, and it was nice (but of course touristy). Strangely, it was mostly Mexican tourists! I did meet a nice pair of couples from Veracruz on k1300-something BMWs, just starting a trip to Alaska. Best of luck to them!

The beach was quite nice, and I even took a waverunner ride for 30 minutes :)

The town itself, though, is a bit depressed. The entire area along the beach is filled with still-open shops, containing sole sad-faced owners sitting at the doors. Half-built buildings litter the entire beach line..

But hey, you can still bury a girl and give her sand boobies:

Also, the market in the city center is WONDERFUL:

Also, birds (white-winged doves, in this case) like to nest in bananas:

And there are great sunsets, to test your tripod and long-exposure skills:

And on to the important part: the road south, to San Blas, and then on to PV. Amazing blacktop with tons of twisties:

And it's basically THE point where Mexico transitions from arid desert/grasslands to full-on jungle:

San Blas is an amazing little town! I can see why so many gringos live there:

More lovely jungly lands, from the seat:

And apparently, I could have hopped the little-known SF-PV wormhole to get here!:

I don't really have many pictures from PV - a few cell phone pics that are fun, but this is already really long.

Tomorrow: into the highlands and away from this heat!

Old 06-23-2013, 12:40 PM   #37
charlieS OP
Adventurer

Parral -> Creel?

I'm in Parral now (cute town), heading to Creel tomorrow to stay there for a few days.

I'm wondering, has anyone ever taken Mex 20 West from Parral, to get to Creel?

It definitely turns to dirt - anyone know if it's a decent enough road?
Old 06-23-2013, 01:05 PM   #38
jimmex
Rider

Oddometer: 2,274
Mex 20 is the route to take to get to Creel. Its one of the best motorbike roads around. When you leave Creel ride West to san Juanito, turn left to Basaseachic and then pick up Mex 16 West. Suerte, JIm

Google maps is googled up. The below is correct; Chih 24 to Chih 23 to Creel. Great ride.

jimmex screwed with this post 06-23-2013 at 02:57 PM
jimmex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2013, 02:43 PM   #39
Blind Warrior
Lost in the Ozone

Quote:
I'm in Parral now (cute town), heading to Creel tomorrow to stay there for a few days.

I'm wondering, has anyone ever taken Mex 20 West from Parral, to get to Creel?

It definitely turns to dirt - anyone know if it's a decent enough road?
Charlie,
I assume you are in Hidalo de Parral. If so, do you mean Mex 24 running West out of Parral? If this is the case, there is a right turn you need to make about 27 miles outside of Parral onto Chi 23 which will take you up to Creel. It is paved the whole way and is a fun ride especially when you turn off Mex 24.

"The United States is a nation of laws: badly written and randomly enforced." - Frank Zappa
Old 06-23-2013, 03:26 PM   #40
charlieS OP
Adventurer

Yep, Hidalo de Parral; Thanks BW. For some reason, both the paper map and google maps led me to believe it was a gravel road.
Old 06-24-2013, 05:56 PM   #41
charlieS OP
Adventurer

You were right! And it's labeled as route 25 on the road, which is very confusing. Luckily, the military checkpoint at the intersection was eager to give directions.

Having problems uploading images to smugmug right now.. but I have lots of pics to post when I'm back on good internet!
Old 06-24-2013, 06:47 PM   #42
Blind Warrior
Lost in the Ozone

Quote:
You were right! And it's labeled as route 25 on the road, which is very confusing. Luckily, the military checkpoint at the intersection was eager to give directions.

Having problems uploading images to smugmug right now.. but I have lots of pics to post when I'm back on good internet!
Can't wait to see the pics!

Old 07-01-2013, 08:59 PM   #43
charlieS OP
Adventurer

FYI - made it back home, but my laptop sustained some water damage during the trip... so, I'll get pictures and the rest of the report posted as soon as I get it back (few more days) :)
Old 07-04-2013, 11:35 AM   #44
charlieS OP
Adventurer

Days 8, 9: into the highlands!

Based on some excellent advice from the well-traveled folk on advrider.com, I decided not to proceed any further South, even though I really wanted to see Oaxaca. If I had, the ride back North and eventually home, would have been way too fast to be enjoyable.

I left Puerto Vallarta in the morning, intending to take route 90 (aka Donkey Road), but missed the turn, and ended up taking the same route out, that I'd taken in :(

Then, was the turnoff for Guadalajara.

The road (libre option) was amazing. It started rising off the coast into the highlands, on twisting, winding, smooth, non-congested roads with wonderful scenery. The temperature and humidity both dropped 30%, thankfully.

I rode straight through the city, not sure where I was going to stop for the day. I must say, Guadalajara is a very modern, beautiful city; while riding through, I kept thinking "this is nicer than many American cities." And the surrounding area - wow - so beautiful:

I kept riding through, because I'd only gone 200 miles, and didn't really want to stay in such a large city. I'd head for Zacatecas, not sure if I'd go the entire distance this day.

About this time, I started feeling a bit sick. Perhaps brushing your teeth with tap water isn't a great idea.
To give a preview: it lasted the entire rest of the trip, but wasn't too bad. Montezuma's Revenge most commonly takes the form of e.coli, norwalk virus, or dysentery. More on that later :)

I arrived in*Zacatecas, toured through the town looking for a hotel or hostel, and discovered they have a real live aquaduct!

And if you *look at the cars in that image, you get a sense of the income level disparity in Mexico.

I found a hotel on the edge of town with secure parking, got a room, and stayed on the toilet for a while. In the morning, I headed out toward Durango, and by the time I arrived, I truly felt like crap, so I grabbed a hotel at noon. Started getting a fever and severely sore muscles, so I went to the pharmacy to get some drugs.

Rubbing my stomach, I asked the staff for some medecine. One guy sought clarification, and made the universal "stuff shooting out your ass?" gesture, which I affirmed. He gave me a box of 10 pills for $1, instructed me not to take more than 4, and said I'd be good by tomorrow. He was right! In the morning, I headed up North.
Old 07-04-2013, 12:51 PM   #45
charlieS OP
Adventurer

Days 10, 11, 12: we have a better canyon, but we're not telling you about it.. (lots

After leaving Zacatecas, I made it up to Hidalgo Del Parral (or, Parral) - the "most European looking town in colonial Mexico," I read somewhere.

On the way, was this weird thing:

And this cute little village:

And by the way, there are plenty of prayer station along the road, in case you're feeling sketchy about the traffic, road conditions, or your own soul:

I was feeling much better, and was able to happily walk around town (twice, in fact). I ate (smaller amounts of) street food, including churros and gorditas. By the way, gorditas, in Mexico, don't resemble Taco Bell's adaptation. They are basically really thick corn tortilla discs, with a pocket cut in the middle and stuffed with various goodies (think: taco fillings). Quite good.

Anyway, it turned out to be a wonderful day for pictures in Parral, with lots of altocumulus clouds creating a great sky backdrop:

In case you didn't know.. Coke has won Latin America - it's very rare to see anything but Coke and Fanta:

Now, on to the cute little city.

Pretty town, right?

Unfortunately, the palace was under construction out front, and closed inside.

The surrounding areas (to tourist spots) were kept in great shape, compared to the rest of the city:

The next day, I headed toward Creel, Chihuahua, Mexico (yay!).

Turns out, there's a system of canyons (6, I believe), called Copper Canyon - which is deeper and wider than the Arizona Grand Canyon in many spots.

To get to Creel, I headed Southwest out of town, looking for highway 20. At a military checkpoint, my GPS was really confused, and didn't tell me to turn. The soldiers told me I should turn, but the signs said it was route 25. Quite confusing. So I went straight, and then turned around after 10 miles. They were laughing when I returned, and turned the correct direction they had previously indicated. Oh well.

That road, however, winding up toward Creel, is marvelous. Smooth, twisty, and scenic. What a great ride! It's also a beautiful transition to higher-altitude pine forest.

I rolled into Creel around 4pm, and 1 mile out the thunderstorms opened up. This was the first and only time I'd get rained on, the entire trip :)

I found a lovely hotel for $20/night, and walked around downtown in search of food and sights.

I like my shadow in this image :)

The next morning, I head out of town, South, for a day trip to the Copper Canyon viewpoint.

On the way, I kept seeing little dirt roads leading to villages, historic sights, and swimming spots. So I took one...

It was a lovely road, more sand than dirt:

Which led me to some lovely rural settings. I'd love to live like this:

Near the end of the 12K road, it got really steep and rough. Rough, because they combat the steepness of the road, and*inevitable*slippiness, by pouring concrete and setting in stones. This is a lot rougher than the image depicts, and quite difficult on a motorcycle:

I turned around and finally made it to Copper Canyon around 9am, which unfortunately meant the sun was shining directly at me for all photos. But here's a few..

Another reason I like it better than the Grand Canyon, is that it's not completely barren desert. Trees!

I headed back to Creel, and saw some ass:

I couldn't resist stopping for a picture of this, either:

And this:

Once back in Creel, I wandered around the town square:

...and a museum:

...and then decided I should hike to the top of this, for a better view:

...which, I definitely found:

along with some weird, red trees:

This guy kept following me, hoping for food:

Ok, one more scenery picture:

And finally, there was this disturbed Native American lady sitting in the street, blocking traffic:

The next day, I headed North toward the US...