Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-10-2013, 11:59 AM   #16
niamh07
n00b

Oddometer: 1
Eh?

Quote:
Originally Posted by MtnGirl View Post
Dropping it off at the dealer on Friday. Will let you know what they do...
Hi there - i know its further down the line but my OH has just bought me a 2011 G650 and i love it but i'm fairly getting my teeth rattled - what did your dealer say - did you get yours' sorted?

thanks in advance
niamh07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2013, 12:09 PM   #17
BlueLghtning
Riding is my passion

Oddometer: 4,933
There has to be something wrong with these singles that people are complaining about or they just didn't make the G650GS models as well as the older F650GS singles?

My wife has an 06 F650GS (single with dual spark) and that is the smoothest single I have ever ridden and I'm constantly surprised every time I jump on it how smooth it is for a single. My normal ride is a Vstrom 650 vtwin which is definitely smoother than the single, but the 650GS is one of the best of all the singles I have ridden. I owned a KLR650 for about a year and hated it on the highway because I thought it vibed to much. I have a DR650 now along with my WR250R and the F650GS is the smoothest of all of them. It runs along at 70-80mph no problem.

I have ridden the earlier 01-03 single cylinder/single spark rotax 650's and I thought they were quite a bit more vibey then the later dual spark models. But I don't see why 2009-2012 G650GS bikes should be any more vibey than the 04-07 counterparts.
Smugmug Pics - Save $5 <-- Click Here
BlueLghtning is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2013, 04:33 PM   #18
CrookedChris
Adventurer

Oddometer: 15
Get used to it...

I've clocked a ton of miles in the 13 or so months that I've owned my 2012 G650 and I don't think it's any smoother than I thought it was when I bought it but I don't really notice or think about the vibrations anymore.

I think the case for those who have never ridden a thumper much before, like myself prior to this bike, just don't have any context to compare it to. The vibes bugged me for the first few months of riding it but now I don't even think about it.
CrookedChris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2013, 04:59 PM   #19
Wjbarrett
n00b

Oddometer: 2
No vibes for me

I have a 2012 g650gs and haven't noticed any out of the normal vibration. Perhaps chain slack needs adjusting, or cast wheels need balancing?
Wjbarrett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2013, 10:34 AM   #20
MoDoc
***oc

Oddometer: 21
Repeat - nature of the beast

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrookedChris View Post
I've clocked a ton of miles in the 13 or so months that I've owned my 2012 G650 and I don't think it's any smoother than I thought it was when I bought it but I don't really notice or think about the vibrations anymore.

I think the case for those who have never ridden a thumper much before, like myself prior to this bike, just don't have any context to compare it to. The vibes bugged me for the first few months of riding it but now I don't even think about it.
You solved this one with time. . . .
Mine fibes at idle and some during the riding experience range. But I presumed it was normal for this vehicle, so I rode on.
I'm riding on knobs right now and it can be more noticeable. But I ignore it and concentrate on having fun riding.
Are you riding on street tires?
Old 10-24-2013, 02:57 AM   #21
Zynth
Adventurer

Oddometer: 23
I own a G650GS sertao, and also experience problems in the 4-5k range.
Just too much vibration. Wearing ear-plugs gives me a terrible headache due to it, my skull just seems to pick up on it.

at 3,5k rpm, it is as smooth as can be, but above 4k the seat starts vibrating. Rode an XT660 last week; no vibration at all. I desperately want to fix this
Zynth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2013, 06:58 AM   #22
MoDoc
***oc

Oddometer: 21
Thumb G650gs (get the vibes?)

One other thing I do is ride on a wool sheepskin & on long hauls I add an air hawk.
Thumpers thump. That's their nature and character. BUT, the counterbalance in these bikes might have enough variation in design that it could equate to variability in vibration extremes that some consumers may find objectionable.
Your dealer probably has no answers that your gonna like regarding vibration control.
Off the top of MY head, Here are some thoughts I had-
Handlebar end weights changes might help but you'll have to experiment. Tire pressure changes might also lessen the effects (i.e. less air). Carrying a lot of weight in the back end might lighten the front area enough to cause more (stronger) vibes. More cushion in either your hand gear and/or foot gear might contribute to lessening the effects of your sensitivity.
If you like the bike otherwise, adjust yourself to it so you can enjoy yourself or get something else. Don't make it a P. I. the A. Otherwise, your just screwing yourself out of a great time.
MoDoc
P.S.
I'm well over 20k on my thumper and really liking' it.