Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-20-2013, 02:00 PM   #91
NSFW
ktm's "the tourist"

Oddometer: 16,239
shameless plug........

rr over here

i love my 640e! it has taken to a lot of places and never let me down.
NSFW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2014, 06:01 PM   #92
kyalbert
Adventurer

Oddometer: 10
2000 640 lc4-e

I was just gifted a 2000 640 LC4-E - along with it's entire service history. This bike has 10k miles on it. Looks absolutely brand new. It is completely unmodified. An old friend put mostly highway miles on the bike, and parked it 5 years ago. He said it was making an engine noise he didn't like when he parked it and replaced it with a BMW GS1200. While the KTM was still under extended warranty, he had it in to the local KTM dealer twice to look at it. After scouring the paperwork he had, sure enough, I see a note from the dealer stating "this sound is the decrompressor, it is normal". Over the weekend I went through the gas tank, carb, and fuel lines, cleaning or replacing rubber as needed. Also charged up the battery. I put my trusty electric heater under the motor and let it warm up over night (unsticks the gummy stuff you know) and yesterday I fired her off. This bike purrs like a kitten, runs like a raped ape, and when warmed up at idle, here comes that awful noise. In my 40 years of mechanical experience, it sounds like there is a bolt bouncing around in the valvetrain - very intermittent. I've been sifting through lots of threads here, and all over the web on this problem. Next thing is to adjust the idle speed - I'm thinking it may just be idling low and when it dips to a certain speed the decomp kicks in. Opinions?
kyalbert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2014, 06:54 PM   #93
gunnerbuck
Island Hopper

Oddometer: 4,043
Quote:
Originally Posted by kyalbert View Post
I was just gifted a 2000 640 LC4-E - along with it's entire service history. This bike has 10k miles on it. Looks absolutely brand new. It is completely unmodified. An old friend put mostly highway miles on the bike, and parked it 5 years ago. He said it was making an engine noise he didn't like when he parked it and replaced it with a BMW GS1200. While the KTM was still under extended warranty, he had it in to the local KTM dealer twice to look at it. After scouring the paperwork he had, sure enough, I see a note from the dealer stating "this sound is the decrompressor, it is normal". Over the weekend I went through the gas tank, carb, and fuel lines, cleaning or replacing rubber as needed. Also charged up the battery. I put my trusty electric heater under the motor and let it warm up over night (unsticks the gummy stuff you know) and yesterday I fired her off. This bike purrs like a kitten, runs like a raped ape, and when warmed up at idle, here comes that awful noise. In my 40 years of mechanical experience, it sounds like there is a bolt bouncing around in the valvetrain - very intermittent. I've been sifting through lots of threads here, and all over the web on this problem. Next thing is to adjust the idle speed - I'm thinking it may just be idling low and when it dips to a certain speed the decomp kicks in. Opinions?
If your idle is set much below 1500 rpm the auto decomp will produce the klak klak intermittently... Most 640s have a happy idle around 1600 rpm....
gunnerbuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2014, 09:03 PM   #94
kyalbert
Adventurer

Thanks Gunnerbuck - here's a youtube video of the bike running. You can hear the clack clack right of the bat. It does appear to be idle speed related. Anytime it drops below a certain rpm is where it occurs. I'll have to borrow a tachometer from my neighbor and see where it's sitting. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jLeXUPvm548
Old 01-21-2014, 09:06 PM   #95
kyalbert
Adventurer

youtube bideo of the 640 running

Here's a youtube video of the 640 and what I believe is the decompressor noise. Is there an opportunity for damage to occur here? Is this idle set too low in your opinion?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jLeXUPvm548
Old 01-21-2014, 09:09 PM   #96
Geekventure
Adventurer

Oddometer: 82
Roller Bearing Check...

There's also the worst case scenario...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geekventure View Post

It could also be the roller bearing on it's way to complete destruction!

I have this exact bike...and it happened to me...first were the strange noises coming from the engine, until eventually I could not get it out of gear and thankfully was able to limp the F^@& home...

NOTICE MY OLD 620'S BLOCK HAS A CRACK IN IT TO THE LEFT OF THE BEARING!

I ended up just replacing the whole motor with one out of a 2001 super moto. Unfortunately, it has no electric starter hookup.

QUESTION:

Does anyone know if I can use my e-starter hookup/motor from the old 1997/8 620 motor and attach it to my current 2001 640 e-starter-less motor?
Old 06-30-2014, 09:29 PM   #97
Goomicoo
Rubber Cow

Oddometer: 564
Buggered wires under the seat of a 2002 KTM 640 LC4E

I picked this bike up yesterday. It wouldn't turn over but the main fuse was the culprit there. It turns over but doesn't fire. I found these exposed wires under the seat so I figured they have something to do with it. I don't have a wiring diagram so here I am with my puzzle.
The group of wires going to the white plug for the relay have these issues.
Orange one has no home!
Brown wire with the male bullet connector connects to one of the black wires for the side stand switch. ( For reference the 2 black wires were twisted together down at the side stand in what I imagine was done to bypass the side stand)
In the second picture you see another wire loom where 2 black wires coming from what I imagine to be a diode don't have a home either!
Did they both connect to the other black wire that goes down to the side stand? I'm lost without a wiring diagram so if someone has a pic of their setup that would be great. Or tell me where to find a diagram. All I could find is an adventure diagram and it doesn't seem to jive. Thanks in advance.

Goomicoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2014, 07:42 PM   #98
falcn
Squidless Soul

Oddometer: 294
I've been contemplating getting and LC4 Enduro - or going with a KLX250S with 351 kit...

I'm not too worried about the main bearing replacement (the bike I was looking at is NOS it seems, very low miles early 2000's before the bearing change). roller/rocker maintenance as I own an Elefant now and keep her happy and the wife's M750Si.e., etc.
Old 08-13-2014, 02:40 PM   #99
kevsta
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 100
14 years old and absolutely unbreakable

well apart from front wheel rims anyway

whole lot of bike.
kevsta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2014, 10:00 PM   #100
NevBlu
Adventurer

Oddometer: 56
Time for preventive maintenance, spend $ now so ride tomorrow

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmwktmbill View Post
++1
bill
I gotta agree. I keep good repair but still needed more to avoid BIG repairs. I do ride hard though, so some blame goes to this rider. Full engine rebuild in-progress right now.

Nov. 2015 Baja is questionable now.
Attached Images

Old 08-13-2014, 10:31 PM   #101
falcn
Squidless Soul

Oddometer: 294
Quote:
Originally Posted by NevBlu View Post
I gotta agree. I keep good repair but still needed more to avoid BIG repairs. I do ride hard though, so some blame goes to this rider. Full engine rebuild in-progress right now.

Nov. 2015 Baja is questionable now.
Blown head gasket?
Old 09-11-2014, 11:26 AM   #102
MadM
Dreamer

Oddometer: 238
Proud new owner

Hey all!

I have already posted in the index thread, and going through that thread I found this one that is for Enduro's only

Well without to much talk, a few days ago I bought a 03 640 Enduro with 29500km (18200miles) on the clock. It was used as a road commuter. It is bone stock with a full Akrapovic exhaust system. Curently I am fixing a leak on the hose that connects left and right radiators, changing brake pads and fluids. Over the winter I have a few plans for it, like a 18l tank (it's freaking expensive), proper off road tyres, higher handlebars, different foot pegs and turning it orange

Happy and safe riding to everyone!
My Blog
MadM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2014, 02:20 PM   #103
clintnz
Trans-Global Chook Chaser

Oddometer: 3,392
Nice 03! The silver is an unusual colour for a 2003+ Enduro. Europe seemed to get a much wider range of colours of LC4 than the rest of the world.

For a larger tank, if you want to go big the old non-paintable polyethylene 640 Adv/rallye tanks used to be available fairly cheaply, might be worth checking out. Would need a seat to match, fuel pump etc though.

The 18L is a nice upgrade, tough & looks good.

Cheers
Clint

The wilderness, the desert - why are they not crowded
.................................................. .....with pilgrims?
clintnz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2014, 12:46 PM   #104
meat popsicle
Ignostic

Oddometer: 14,178
Quote:
Originally Posted by kyalbert View Post
Here's a youtube video of the 640 and what I believe is the decompressor noise. Is there an opportunity for damage to occur here? Is this idle set too low in your opinion?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jLeXUPvm548
While you would not want the decompressor activating all the time, it is designed to used occasionally to help the engine keep running when something pushes the revs too low.

Since you are just at a steady parked idle and its activating, something is wrong. gunnerbuck's suggestion to turn up the idle to around 1600 is a good place to start. If that doesn't do it there will likely be other suggestions.

Its not so much staying alive; its staying human that counts.
meat popsicle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2014, 02:19 PM   #105
kevsta
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 100
lol. if you want to talk about silver for orange plastic swaps... me me me

nice bike. I also just had to change that rad tube too, those clips are a nightmare. if its just leaking at one end you can cut it down and re-route it over rather than through the frame temporarily.
kevsta is offline   Reply With Quote