Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-20-2013, 03:04 PM   #16
BanhXeo OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 334
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scubalong View Post
Your name make me hungry
Looking good, some of those pictures at red wood reminded me of the trip my boys and I took few years ago. Thanks for sharing I will head up that way in couple weeks. Ride safe
Banh Xeo is delicious! Thanks for joining. Send me a PM if you ever are in my area up here. The riding is fantastic and my wife cooks good too!
This is my WIFE, here are my BIKES, and these are my STORIES: http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=897188
BanhXeo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2013, 03:06 PM   #17
Shooby
Anti-Cager

Oddometer: 658
Shooby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2013, 05:35 PM   #18
oscar23
Adventurer

Oddometer: 39
Awesome-
oscar23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2013, 07:08 PM   #19
NSFW
ktm's "the tourist"

Oddometer: 15,712
Quote:
Originally Posted by BanhXeo View Post
Banh Xeo is delicious! Thanks for joining. Send me a PM if you ever are in my area up here. The riding is fantastic and my wife cooks good too!

yeah, i'm IN both riding and eating....

nice vids...
NSFW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2013, 10:56 PM   #20
BanhXeo OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by NSFW View Post
yeah, i'm IN both riding and eating....

nice vids...
NSFW. I forgot to give a shout out to you too in my prologue. I thoroughly enjoy reading your dirt reports and general shenanigans. I see you are still enjoying the little KTM, the bike rips!
This is my WIFE, here are my BIKES, and these are my STORIES: http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=897188
Old 06-20-2013, 11:27 PM   #21
BanhXeo OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Part 3 is up. I noticed about halfway down the section after the campgrounds that my battery was done. I switched them out and put them on the charger but I swapped to burst stills and single pic mode until we hit pavement again. The park ranger or w/e in the vid was flipping his ticket book as if to warn off potential violators or else he was just plain bored of talking and wanted to get back on the trail. The people camped next to the spot where the ranger was smelled as if they just finished a "Smoke Break", so either way someones day was about to go south. The yellow gate in the vid is significant in that it gets a little more technical after the gate, not balls to walls wild, just a little funner.

Did I mention we were hungry? So after about 25 miles and 1.5 hours or so we have been telling ourselves we would just get to Shelter Cove, Eat, then rework our route so we could make it home in time. We pop out onto pavement with a sign that said Shelter Cove 12 miles north. Highway 101 25 miles north. We looked at each other and then discussed how even if we did make it to Shelter Cove there is no guarantee of food there. We bailed out on what looked like a road heading South east and a sign saying Hwy 101 22 miles. We could find food in Redway, or garberville, hell anywhere was going to work.

It didn't take long to hit Redway on pavement and the road is definately cool. Briceland is the name of it and its just a cool little road. It even has a small stretch of big Redwoods. We found the first place that was selling some type of processed animal and parked. Outdoor seating? Win! I ordered a double bacon burger..Why not. curly fries and a coke. The chick looks at me and says uh our patties are 1/2 pound each sir..do you still want the double? I took all of 5 seconds to assure her I was ok with the double. $17 was steep but I could care less. Cost always goes out the window when your hungry anyway.

I did not bother to take a before and after pic of this because the plate was polished.

Back on the road after a nice break and we find ourselves back at the Drive through tree road...No we didn't don't worry... We didn't have time to take Hwy 1 to fort bragg 45 miles away and ride an unknown dirt section back to the 101. So we stayed headed south on 101 to where the dirt section pops out. It is definitely worth riding as it parallels Hwy 20 and well is..dirt.

Old 06-21-2013, 12:06 AM   #22
BanhXeo OP
Gnarly Adventurer

I like this pic for some reason it was in the back of the rest.

Continuing on..
We headed from Laytonville to Dos rios, backtracking where we had come in earlier in the day

From Dos Rios to Covelo there is a dirt section called Poonkinney rd. I had told Foot dragger we could come back that way but I changed my mind when we got to that point strickly based on time. He said yep and made a comment about how we should hurry then...Like that he was gone. I mean fast. I kept seeing skid marks on the pavement from a bike and looking over, I didn't want to think like that but it happened. My fuel sensor let me know I was at the halfway mark as I pulled into Covelo and thats when I saw Foot dragger just chillin by the pumps. Hell ya man!

This pic was from the way in but there was no sign on the way out so I am using it here. Pretty sweet as it is pretty far above the creek.

Back on Forest Highway 7, aka Alder springs rd.

Little bit of clouds up near the pass but our $4 thrift shop thermals kept us warm

This is a real nice place to stop and look back over to Covelo. There is a ranch down and to the east (left) just an awesome place to be able to call home.

So many hills, So little time

West side of the valley floor you can see the thunder head out in the distance. It stayed well north of us

We were on the road at 6am and I pulled in at 9pm. 1 hour stop for lunch. 415 miles traveled. Plenty of dirt, a couple good stories, no one got hurt, and my I beat my wife home by about 8 minutes. One hell of a day Foot dragger. Until next time, thanks for hangin out with us today

BanhXeo screwed with this post 06-21-2013 at 12:13 AM
Old 06-21-2013, 12:09 AM   #23
BanhXeo OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by redog1 View Post
Now I know what you've been up to. Looks familiar.
Ride on Bud.
This and working 80 hours a week, yes. Lets ride soon. Its High Lakes time!
Old 06-21-2013, 03:47 AM   #24
rogerdodger
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 515
I'd forgotten how amazingly beautiful California was. Thanks for posting, and looking forward to more.

Malaysia and Thailand

Nepal

Back home Georgia to Florida

its not what I do, its the way that I do it.
rogerdodger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2013, 07:16 AM   #25
redog1
KLR650-2009

Oddometer: 1,704
Again, nice job,

Quote:
This and working 80 hours a week, yes. Lets ride soon. Its High Lakes time!
Looks like you took a lot of the same route I did in April. I didn't get to see as much of the Usal rd. as you but still enjoyed the heck out of the trip. I figured you had about a 14 hr day in the seat, That's a long trip for a day trip, kudos to you a footdragger for getting it done.

Yep, High Lakes after the upcoming OBCDR, soon after we get back. Gotta do it!
Old 06-21-2013, 08:14 AM   #26
swimmer
armchair asshole

Oddometer: 4,005
enjoyed the pictures. So, is your wife Korean?
swimmer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2013, 11:35 AM   #27
BanhXeo OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Foot dragger View Post
On a different note,there is a town hall meeting in Butte meadows tomorrow (sat) its to do with the newest massive closures by the USFS in the Plumas National Forest.
They have a new map out showing road closures throughout the Plumas,lots of them. High Lakes are highly affected.

Doug Teeter,local city councilman and long time trailrider is hosting the meeting at Fire Station #10 at 10:00 AM.

Nuther meeting in Oroville Mon with the USFS,its getting ugly with them and their closures.
Thanks for the heads up I'll forward the info to some of my non ADV'r friends. Did you post it in regional as well? I know some of our people up north might be interested. Thanks
Old 06-21-2013, 11:42 AM   #28
BanhXeo OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by swimmer View Post
enjoyed the pictures. So, is your wife Korean?
I almost forgot the title to my own thread..Not only is this all about bikes and trips and stories but my wife has a large part to do with it all. She is Vietnamese. Came here 7 years ago to make a better life for herself and her family back home. She was a teacher in Vietnam and here she does nails. She learned english here and passed the citizenship test a couple years ago. For anyone who has not seen that test I urge you to look it up. Try and pass it. I would have failed it myself if it wasn't for watching her study everyday for a couple months, and I grew up here! She is my inspiration and my best friend and the only person I know that works more hours than me. You will see more of her I'm sure.
Old 06-21-2013, 12:34 PM   #29
eatpasta
Lawnmower Target

Oddometer: 9,803
Quote:
I almost forgot the title to my own thread..Not only is this all about bikes and trips and stories but my wife has a large part to do with it all. She is Vietnamese.
Hey I went to college in Chico, and my wife is Vietnamese. What the hell do you guys do in the summertime? I mean, besides your wife feeling like she is back in Saigon.... you don't put on jackets and RIDE do you?@!

is yours tiny? Mine's tiny

and she sleeps on the back a lot

she could never have her own bike - she'd fall asleep on it leaving the parking lot of PHO 4000.
Originally Posted by Burnszilla
I was SO high, I could have hunted duck with a rake
Quote:
Originally Posted by VxZeroKnots View Post
MX stuff isn't my cup of tea, but falling down the side of a mountain is
eatpasta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2013, 02:58 PM   #30
redog1
KLR650-2009

Oddometer: 1,704
Sorry for the Hi-Jack Jeramie....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Foot dragger View Post
On a different note,there is a town hall meeting in Butte meadows tomorrow (sat) its to do with the newest massive closures by the USFS in the Plumas National Forest.
They have a new map out showing road closures throughout the Plumas,lots of them. High Lakes are highly affected.

Doug Teeter,local city councilman and long time trailrider is hosting the meeting at Fire Station #10 at 10:00 AM.

Nuther meeting in Oroville Mon with the USFS,its getting ugly with them and their closures.
Foot dragger, I'd love to attend these meetings, how can I find out about them further in advance? Tommorrow, I don't know, I've got so much to do, possibly could have rearrange things if I had known sooner. I may still see if I can make it. Hard for me to bitch about gate closures if I don't attended and fight for them to be open.