Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-17-2013, 08:34 PM   #46
redneckdan
Hold my beer & watch this

Oddometer: 577
Quote:
Originally Posted by randysway View Post
I did not know that they had such things like foldable rods!! Very cool. Why is it when I go fishing though, I never hve any luck... but you guys say on the first or second cast you guys are hooking good fish?!
Until Friday I had been trying since mid April to find a nearby trout stream, with nothing to show for it. I put probably 1500 miles on between the FZ and the KLR chasing the damn things. Friday I rode 250 miles for one 6" brookie, that I didn't find til mid afternoon. Finding a stocked pit within 5 miles of my house was a total fluke, I was expecting rock bass. That couple hours of catching fish like mad equates to less than 5% of the time I've spent fishing this year. Sometimes shit just works out, most of the time it doesn't. But it is still better than work!

The best part of fishing at the pit yesterday? Hooking into a larger 'bow and handing the rod to a little girl who was at the pit there with her family and watching her fight the little beast. She even turned it loose without any one telling her to.

redneckdan screwed with this post 06-17-2013 at 08:40 PM
redneckdan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2013, 08:42 PM   #47
KG6BWS
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 895
Quote:
Originally Posted by randysway View Post
I did not know that they had such things like foldable rods!! Very cool. Why is it when I go fishing though, I never hve any luck... but you guys say on the first or second cast you guys are hooking good fish?!
LOL, in all the days Ive spent fishing in my life (gotta be in the hundreds) Ive only had one of "those" days. More often than not I just enjoy the scenery. I actually dont like when I catch a fish on my first or second cast. Experience has shown me that if I do that I just caught my only fish for the day.

Justin
01 F650GS Dakar
KG6BWS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2013, 06:13 PM   #48
rufusswan
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 962
Quote:
Originally Posted by doorman View Post
I gotta ask, what is a poucher?
Around here it's one of the perch varieties that is large enough to filet, or in general, anything large enough to fit a skillet.

I get a few trout at my place (very few) that swim up from the White River which is now one of the premier brown trout reserves. My cabin is at least 10 miles upstream so so a 12" rainbow has gotta be good to avoid all the bass.

As long as some of you admit to cooking some up stream-side I'm ok, there ain't nothing better than fish, fresh from cool water then sitting on my plate.
rufusswan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2013, 07:15 PM   #49
Ol'NumNuts
Getting Stupider

Oddometer: 299
Iv'e never fly fished, but I came across some guys on a hammock site i follow (cause i hang when i moto- camp) that hike into the backwoods and use Tenkara fly gear.
It's fly fishing but without the reel...
Has anyone on here tried it?
Old 06-19-2013, 07:22 PM   #50
eatpasta
Lawnmower Target

Oddometer: 10,214
Years ago when I was on tour, our bus driver was a big time fly fisherman. Incidentally, he was also the tour leader and lead about 50 tour busses by himself all over the US and Canada and never once looked at a map....freakin cool guy.
Anyways, we never knew he was such a fishing freak until one night I woke up and the bus was stopped in the middle of butt-fuck nowhere British Coumbia, in the middle of the night. I got out of my bunk and into the darkness to see what was going on and there was William with his rod. He had only been out there a few minutes but he had already caught a few fish. Moments later he pushed me back on the bus and we were off.
I miss that guy. I'll never forget his name - WIlliam Stone.

Oh and.......gawd! My EEEYYYEEESSS!!!

Originally Posted by Burnszilla
I was SO high, I could have hunted duck with a rake
Quote:
Originally Posted by VxZeroKnots View Post
MX stuff isn't my cup of tea, but falling down the side of a mountain is
eatpasta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2013, 07:36 PM   #51
AviatorTroy
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,621
I've only been fly fishing for about 8 years or so, so I am not really that good at the nymph "match the hatch" thing, but I've found that if they are not hitting a dry fly then a universal pattern like a bitch creek or a wooly bugger with a pinch on foam strike indicator can produce great results, even when you have know idea what you are doing!
AviatorTroy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2013, 04:41 PM   #52
FlyFishJeff
Adventurer

Oddometer: 91
[QUOTE\]

Oh and.......gawd! My EEEYYYEEESSS!!!

[/QUOTE]

Beauty is in the eye of the beholder; ha ha!
FlyFishJeff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2013, 05:04 PM   #53
eatpasta
Lawnmower Target

Oddometer: 10,214
Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyFishJeff View Post
Beauty is in the eye of the beholder; ha ha!
I ran the Big Sur half marathon a few months ago and we came across two bikes parked on the side of the road; a GS and a Strom. Nearby were two guys with ballistic gear piled on eating breakfast.
One of them was surely the Strom rider so I yelled out "A V STROM? REALLY?!"

the look on his face was classic.....

Originally Posted by Burnszilla
I was SO high, I could have hunted duck with a rake
Quote:
Originally Posted by VxZeroKnots View Post
MX stuff isn't my cup of tea, but falling down the side of a mountain is
eatpasta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2013, 11:41 AM   #54
miksail
Adventurer

Oddometer: 37
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ol'NumNuts View Post
Iv'e never fly fished, but I came across some guys on a hammock site i follow (cause i hang when i moto- camp) that hike into the backwoods and use Tenkara fly gear.
It's fly fishing but without the reel...
Has anyone on here tried it?
Got my first Tenkara rod a few months ago and absolutely love it. I used 'western fly fishing' gear for years but Tenkara, especially on smaller streams, is definitely the way to go. Lightweight, simple, very little gear and FUN.
miksail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2013, 05:24 PM   #55
cowboy7900
Adventurer

Oddometer: 24
Thanks for starting this thread. I've been fly fishing since I was 8 when my Grandpa built me my first rod, a two piece 6'6" 3wt. We spent many hours fishing the Brule up North catching little brookies and rainbow. I haven't had a chance to get out fishing in a couple of years due to work, but this thread awoke the calling of the stream again. Next weekend my wife and I are taking the bikes out to the Western side of Wisconsin to camp and hopefully catch a few trout for dinner. She has never fly fished, but she plans to bring her spinning tackle. I hope the streams will clear out by then and the rains stay away. I'm not sure which streams we'll fish but the Kick' is on my list to get to. Good luck to all and good riding.
cowboy7900 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2013, 09:09 AM   #56
GISdood
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 855
Great thread, doorman! No better way to head out fishing than on two wheels! (see link in sig for my own version) Keep up the good work!
GISdood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2013, 01:56 PM   #57
DBrentMiller
Sojourn Chronicles

Oddometer: 463
Nice to see all the adventure riders who also fly fish. I'm pretty active in our local fly fishing club, Buckeye United Fly Fishers, and also an active leader in our local Project Healing Waters Fly Fishing. Fly fishing is a great sport, and place to also find some solitude.

I have built a few rods, five to be exact, and the last one was just finished after Memorial Day--a 9'6" 8 wt steelhead rod. So on my first outing with the Veterans at a local park pond, I thought I'd give it a try on some of the bass living deeper in the pond. Caught this guy on a white woolly bugger:

There's nothing like catching fish on a rod you built with a fly you tied! :)

Brent

Reference: http://www.projecthealingwaters.org/Home.aspx and http://www.buckeyeflyfishers.com/index.htm

D. Brent Miller, writer, photographer, producer
www.DBrentMiller.com, Publisher of Sojourn Chronicles,
Sojourn Chronicles on Facebook
Currently riding a 2008 Suzuki V-Strom DL650, and 2014.5 Kawasaki KLR 650

DBrentMiller screwed with this post 07-02-2013 at 02:11 PM
DBrentMiller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2013, 05:34 PM   #58
DBrentMiller
Sojourn Chronicles

Oddometer: 463
Moto fly fishing is one of the reasons I built three fly rods. they are four or five piece rods that fit into a 24" rod tube--the 3, 4 and 6 weights. I can easily strap it on the back of the motorcycle. Usually, I strap it down inside the straps of my waterproof Wolfman duffelbag. The rod tube is an aluminum tube with a rubber gasket seal. It's waterproof.

Here's what I've built:

Brent

D. Brent Miller, writer, photographer, producer
www.DBrentMiller.com, Publisher of Sojourn Chronicles,
Sojourn Chronicles on Facebook
Currently riding a 2008 Suzuki V-Strom DL650, and 2014.5 Kawasaki KLR 650
DBrentMiller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2013, 06:54 PM   #59
riderddonald
Lost rider

Oddometer: 572
Just started flyfishing this year with the intentof taking it with me when I ride to the mountains of WV for some trout fishing. Around here I've beenhitting farm ponds for sunfish and bass. At a friends pond I started catching big cats on clouser minnows, what a blast. Come fall I hope to try some stream fishing in WV for trout. Just what I needed, something else to get hooked on.
Quote:
Originally Posted by DBrentMiller View Post
Nice to see all the adventure riders who also fly fish. I'm pretty active in our local fly fishing club, Buckeye United Fly Fishers, and also an active leader in our local Project Healing Waters Fly Fishing. Fly fishing is a great sport, and place to also find some solitude.

I have built a few rods, five to be exact, and the last one was just finished after Memorial Day--a 9'6" 8 wt steelhead rod. So on my first outing with the Veterans at a local park pond, I thought I'd give it a try on some of the bass living deeper in the pond. Caught this guy on a white woolly bugger:

There's nothing like catching fish on a rod you built with a fly you tied! :)

Brent

Reference: http://www.projecthealingwaters.org/Home.aspx and http://www.buckeyeflyfishers.com/index.htm
Old 07-02-2013, 07:59 PM   #60
doorman OP
Aimless

Oddometer: 227
Sadly I haven't been able to get out for a while. I've just been too busy. Cool hearing about everyone else's experiences though. I never knew you could catch cats on a fly rod.

Hopefully I will get out to try some spots this weekend. That is if I don't get called in to work

Motoflyfishing
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=894025
doorman is offline   Reply With Quote