Go Back   ADVrider > Gear > Vendors
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-19-2013, 10:05 PM   #241
gunnytemple
n00b

Oddometer: 4
Placed my order today for Globescout panniers and top box ...fingers crossed I did this right! New to the "adventure" world and things seem a little odd.

It's like everything is broke down and costs extra. I wanted panniers with locks and a top box with a lock for a Super Tenere. Did I order that? I hope so. Are locks extra like on the similar touratech's? Guess my thought is when you buy "luggage" for your bike wouldn't everyone want locks and inside pack bags. Isn't that like buying a car and having to buy locks and seats for it.

I understand different racks for different bikes but seems like if you ordered luggage you ordered luggage.

Maybe Rob will chime in and let me know what I'm getting.
gunnytemple is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2013, 05:22 PM   #242
F800 Rob OP
MotoInsight

Oddometer: 1,042
Quote:
Originally Posted by twinrider View Post
Has Globescout made any progress on building a set for the Super Tenere with the racks tucked in to minimize the profile?
Nope - none. The Tenere isn't on the agenda to have a custom set made for it. We're looking at the 2013 R1200GS next and perhaps either of the 800CC bikes from BMW or Triumph after that. I'm uncertain if there is enough volume to warrant a set made.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hammick View Post
Rob any update on an exhaust cutout pannier and rack for the 2013 GSW? I prefer the Globscouts to the Holans but not sure how long I can wait.
Nothing definitive that I can announce as of right now, but I can say that development is well underway, and it's next on the list to get a specific kit. Here is a rough version of the notched pannier:

Old 06-20-2013, 05:26 PM   #243
F800 Rob OP
MotoInsight

Oh, and did I mention that we supplied equipment to CycleWorld Travel & Adventure for their review of the R1200GS? Go pick up a copy, it's well worth the read. My favorite part is a quote by Jimmy Lewis:

Quote:
Globescout uses 1.5mm thick aluminum and some of the best latches I've experienced, with an excellent dust/water seal top.
Old 06-20-2013, 05:40 PM   #244
oz97tj
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 813
Dumb question time...

How does one get a copy of the above magazine? I subscribe to Cycle World but have seen no mention of this special issue. Ive searched online and cant find much either. Even CWs website doesnt really mention it.
Old 06-20-2013, 06:07 PM   #245
freefall109
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 155
Quote:
Originally Posted by F800 Rob View Post
We're looking at the 2013 R1200GS next and perhaps either of the 800CC bikes from BMW or Triumph after that.

I would say there is market for the 800 series. I can't think of aftermarket cutout cases made for my tiger, or I'd have bought them.
Old 06-20-2013, 06:45 PM   #246
Hikertrash
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,543
Rob,

I'll be putting the Globescouts through the wringer next month during a 2 week/2500mi trip through the Great Divide Trail. I know I'll be dropping the bike quite a bit, so we'll see how well they hold up. I'm still loving mine after 4 months of use.
Hikertrash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2013, 07:56 PM   #247
F800 Rob OP
MotoInsight

Quote:
Originally Posted by oz97tj View Post
Dumb question time...

How does one get a copy of the above magazine? I subscribe to Cycle World but have seen no mention of this special issue. Ive searched online and cant find much either. Even CWs website doesnt really mention it.
I believe there is a thread on it, and the magazine is on newsstands now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by freefall109 View Post

I would say there is market for the 800 series. I can't think of aftermarket cutout cases made for my tiger, or I'd have bought them.
My thoughts too. Holan makes a set, but from what I'm told they're just about unobtanium. I used to import them, and the lack of a supply was a contributing factor as to why I dropped the entire line.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hikertrash View Post
Rob,

I'll be putting the Globescouts through the wringer next month during a 2 week/2500mi trip through the Great Divide Trail. I know I'll be dropping the bike quite a bit, so we'll see how well they hold up. I'm still loving mine after 4 months of use.
Wow, that sounds like an awesome trip -- I'm very jealous. Please let me know how well they hold up.
Old 06-21-2013, 12:03 AM   #248
twinrider
pass the catnip

Oddometer: 8,904
Quote:
Nope - none. The Tenere isn't on the agenda to have a custom set made for it. We're looking at the 2013 R1200GS next and perhaps either of the 800CC bikes from BMW or Triumph after that. I'm uncertain if there is enough volume to warrant a set made.
Has Globescout done any research on sales? Ignoring the top-selling Japanese adv bike doesn't make much sense to me....
twinrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2013, 06:26 AM   #249
jerdog53
Crop Dusting Everywhere

Oddometer: 3,535
Quote:
Nope - none. The Tenere isn't on the agenda to have a custom set made for it. We're looking at the 2013 R1200GS next and perhaps either of the 800CC bikes from BMW or Triumph after that.

Dont forget about the Hyperstrada! 25L stock Panners arnt enough room for the weekend...

"Shorter of breath and one day closer to death"
jerdog53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2013, 11:08 AM   #250
F800 Rob OP
MotoInsight

Quote:
Has Globescout done any research on sales? Ignoring the top-selling Japanese adv bike doesn't make much sense to me....
If you look at the raw sales numbers for the markets that they import into (Europe, South Africa, and the US) it does actually make sense.

That said, there is a kit available for the Tenere that uses the HB mounts. http://advdepot.com/globescout-world...er-tenere.html
Old 06-21-2013, 11:10 AM   #251
F800 Rob OP
MotoInsight

Quote:
Originally Posted by jerdog53 View Post
Dont forget about the Hyperstrada! 25L stock Panners arnt enough room for the weekend...
Unfortunately, nothing for the Hypersrada. Not even Touratech makes parts for it. :(
Old 06-21-2013, 11:15 AM   #252
jerdog53
Crop Dusting Everywhere

Oddometer: 3,535
Quote:
Unfortunately, nothing for the Hypersrada. Not even Touratech makes parts for it. :(
and if we dont keep pokeing you guys nothing ever will...

"Shorter of breath and one day closer to death"
jerdog53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2013, 04:20 PM   #253
twinrider
pass the catnip

Oddometer: 8,904
Quote:
If you look at the raw sales numbers for the markets that they import into (Europe, South Africa, and the US) it does actually make sense.
Would love to look at them, please post a link or simply the numbers. Thanks.
twinrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2013, 07:07 PM   #254
F800 Rob OP
MotoInsight

Quote:
Originally Posted by jerdog53 View Post
and if we dont keep pokeing you guys nothing ever will...
Good point! You should check in with SW-Motech and see if they plan on making something. My guess is that by the time they make anything that we'll have a mount to use with their racks. They also seem to be rather liberal in what they produce stuff for. (i.e. Husqvarna TR650)

Quote:
Would love to look at them, please post a link or simply the numbers. Thanks.
You can get them from here: http://www.mic.org/ You will need to be a member though.
Old 06-23-2013, 04:40 PM   #255
freefall109
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 155

Rob, happen to have a 27L laying around? If I put any weight in this one I'll drive in circles.