Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-20-2013, 12:36 PM   #1
incudie OP
DVNO

Oddometer: 14
Vietnam during Monsoon season

Hello everyone,

I have an opportunity to travel through Vietnam, Cambodia, and Laos for a couple months come late August through October. Fortunately/unfortunately this seems to be during monsoon season.

My hope is to find a Honda Baja or some other kind of dual sport capable bike for this trip (otherwise I may be riding a Honda Wave or something).

I've heard that Central Vietnam will probably become flooded during this time frame though.

Living in California/US, we don't have weather. So my first thought is, okay no problem, a little rain never hurt anyone.

Am I crazy for thinking it's okay to still bike through? Can anyone comment on if riding through Central Vietnam is even a possibility during monsoon season?

Just want to make sure I'm not setting myself up for failure by riding through during these months.

Thanks!
incudie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2013, 11:19 PM   #2
Ken Fritz
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,009
been there

Where will you get the bike? The worst weather will be later: OCT-NOV-DEC.

Central highlands or central coastal areas? There's a big difference in flooding to be expected in the two areas.

Solo or with an interpreter?
Ken Fritz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2013, 12:08 AM   #3
incudie OP
DVNO

Hi Ken thanks for the reply. Glad to hear that the worst of the weather is after I have to leave.

Current plan is to meet up with my gal (whom is currently in Japan) then head to Saigon and purchase a bike on site, ride north to Hanoi, cut across to Laos, then work our way down through Cambodia. If there's enough time left, we may head over to Thailand and go north. This is very much so a "get lost" with a loose list of destinations kind of trip.

No plans for an interpreter but I'm not 100% against the idea either.

After a bit of reading I'm getting the impression that if we buy our bikes in Vietnam, we will have less trouble at border crossings (even though I don't think that's really an issue getting out of Vietnam).
Old 06-21-2013, 09:05 PM   #4
BruceHaydon
n00b

Oddometer: 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by incudie View Post
Hi Ken thanks for the reply. Glad to hear that the worst of the weather is after I have to leave.

Current plan is to meet up with my gal (whom is currently in Japan) then head to Saigon and purchase a bike on site, ride north to Hanoi, cut across to Laos, then work our way down through Cambodia. If there's enough time left, we may head over to Thailand and go north. This is very much so a "get lost" with a loose list of destinations kind of trip.

No plans for an interpreter but I'm not 100% against the idea either.

After a bit of reading I'm getting the impression that if we buy our bikes in Vietnam, we will have less trouble at border crossings (even though I don't think that's really an issue getting out of Vietnam).
Why don't you start from Hanoi , cross to Laos , back to Vietnam and then go to Cambodia . Or if you rent a bike in Vietnam then return the bike in Hochiminh city then buy or rent an other one in Cambodia as the price is cheaper there .
To rent a good bike in Hanoi i recommend this company as i did some tour with them before , they have good bike and you can rent from them website : http://www.advridevietnam.com/

Monsoon in Vietnam is late Oct-Nov-Dec but it's always ok in the north of Vietnam .
Have fun , if need more help , feel free to ask me .
BruceHaydon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2013, 10:17 AM   #5
philippoc92
Adventurer

Oddometer: 11
Any recommendations on where to purchase a bike, get a good service in HCMC?
I have heard of a Kevin Raven (Smith), an English expat who deals in this but I cannot get any current info on him. Any advice is appreciated. :)
philippoc92 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2013, 02:49 PM   #6
Comrade Art
Working stiff

Oddometer: 513
Quote:
Originally Posted by philippoc92 View Post
Any recommendations on where to purchase a bike, get a good service in HCMC?
I have heard of a Kevin Raven (Smith), an English expat who deals in this but I cannot get any current info on him. Any advice is appreciated. :)
Contact LastWalkman or Viethorse.

"All human beings by nature desire to know" - Aristotle
Comrade Art is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2013, 04:30 AM   #7
philippoc92
Adventurer

Oddometer: 11
Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by Comrade Art View Post
Contact LastWalkman or Viethorse.
Thank you Comrade Art
philippoc92 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2013, 07:39 AM   #8
Guzzi Cambodia
n00b

Oddometer: 6
In Cambodia we've had most of our rainy season now, although can get some downpours up to water festival time which is about 6 weeks or so away. When it does rain it can be like a fire hose has been turned on. Normally goes away in short order but some days you can have rain for hours. Only really an issue if going off road on the mud as it can be fairly treacherous then.

Bike rental easy in PP. Several outfits hire. Honda Baja's and xrs are popular.
Guzzi Cambodia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2013, 04:34 AM   #9
incudie OP
DVNO

Sorry for the late reply, thanks for the info BruceHaydon and Guzzi Cambodia!

I ended up buying a Honda Win and made my way through VN this last month. Thinking about selling it and heading to Cambodia and/or Laos but renting a Baja in each place with the hope of getting a little off roading in. Any thoughts on if a Honda Win 100 is appropriate for traversing the two countries?
Old 09-27-2013, 11:40 PM   #10
Asienizen
Adventurer

Oddometer: 10
If you go to Cambodia, you can get a proper dirt bike with a good sized engine once you get there. But if you cross the border into Cam - from Vietnam, make sure you have the bike's papers or they may not let you across with it.
Also, the resale value of a Vietnamese registered bike in Cambodia may not be much at all.
good luck and I hope your experience in Vietnam was memorable.
Asienizen is offline   Reply With Quote