Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-21-2013, 12:18 AM   #31
corndog67 OP
Banned

Oddometer: 1,281
Quote:
Originally Posted by O.C.F.RIDER View Post
Well, started this game in 1967 at age 8.
Like most others that have been riding & racing in the dirt I could never even begin to count how many times I've eaten dirt.
Street, unfortunately for me my latest one was just this past Saturday on my 2003 ZRX 1200 being a complete & total ASSHOLE. I was just going to go for a easy ride down my most favorite road to see how my throttle sync. worked. The sync worked perfect.
Problem was the jerk-off behind the bars.
I was almost to the other end of this 10 miles of curvy bliss that I ride almost every day, and I see three sporty bikes going the other way at an OK pace. I don't have to tell you what I did.
After passing the 3 of 'em showing them who had the biggest dick, I then showed them I was a dick. I hit a patch of sand in a right-hander where I have NEVER encountered sand before, at full lean, around 100 mph.
The good news here is that I have FINALLY learned a lesson.
Almost nobody just walks away from a crash on a little 2-laner in the woods at those kind of speeds. It happens, sure, but not often. All I got was some nasty road rash where my (stupidly) BDU clad leg got caught under the quickly sliding ZRX, some more where I wore through the (once) nice Vanson jacket at the elbow, some where the (very good) gloves twisted just a hair so that the heavy padding was exactly just past where I needed it, black ass cheek, & sore all over. Destroyed a 2 week old Arai.
Before the other guy's were even off their bikes I was up and like.........................WTF?????? What made me crash??? Well, I found out. Ego+stupid+big speed+sand=hurt rider & pretty used looking ZRX.
I've had other crashes on the street with only one way back in 1980, and one in 2006 on my KTM 950, being caused by the rider-ME. All the others had liquids from other vehicles, or once, avoiding a DUMP TRUCK on my side of the road coming around a blind turn.
Road-racing meant quite a few get-offs because I wanted only one trophy.............1st.
Anywho, I'm now a reformed rider because as stupid as I was on Saturday morning past, I'm smart enough to know that I've probably used up most of my luck. I love my wife too much! And my friends, and my pets. I have a very good life. It's not like I'm going to stop riding, or even riding at a "brisk" pace, but the stupid fast race track speed stuff on the road is officially OVER. I'll be saving to 90 to 95% kind of riding for the woods
I'm grateful to be alive to type this shit!

Ride On!
Chris

PS...I think I came off around 9 or 10 times on the street. Race-track....uh, a few more.
OCF guy, you've mentioned something that has been on my mind lately. Recently, in the Bay Area, a lady was killed when she hit a pallet on the freeway while riding her motorcycle. Purely chance happening, could've been me or anyone here. What really worries me, is my wife getting a knock at the door, or the Sheriffs call, telling her that I've been killed. Really, I don't worry about crashing and dying very much, but I do worry about what would happen with her, and it fuckin' kills me. So much so, that I'm thinking about selling my KTM and quitting riding on the street, so much shit can happen that is beyond our control. You could be the safest, most proficient rider out there, and BAM!, fuckin' pallet knocks you under a truck. I've been doing this for 41 years, it's all I've ever really done. But I still go back to thinking about the knock at the door that ladies family got, or her parents, or whoever.

Fuck.
corndog67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2013, 04:21 AM   #32
Jacl-Kampuchea
Booze Merchant

Oddometer: 671
I've had four crashes on the road that resulted in injury. Three times mild injuries, once severe enough. That's over 15 years.

Three of them were just me being young and reckless. One more was me being T-boned.

I've dropped bikes more often than that, but drops don't count here.

Dirt don't count.
Old 06-21-2013, 04:33 AM   #33
Barnone
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,751
Age 71, started riding at age 13 on a mini bike I made. One serious crash on the pavement that resulted in a broken arm,etc. and bike totaled. Several minor crashes over the years with little injury or damage. Knock on wood.
I don't count crashes in the dirt.
2014 Sky Team ST125-8A monkey bike
2014 Ice Bear PBZ110-1P monkey sidecar
Barnone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2013, 06:22 PM   #34
yzmaico
Slacker

Oddometer: 301
I agree with not counting dirt bike crashes, started in 1971, who knows how many corner slide-outs / hill climb bike-toss.

Well...I had a major high speed Track Day high-side, resulting in two shoulder operations, hernia repair, three broken toes, one broken finger.

Ahhh, yeah kinda reconsidering Track time, might not miss it.

Hang it up, no way. Off road is too much fun.
yzmaico is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2013, 06:50 AM   #35
dwoodward
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,814
Quote:
Originally Posted by corndog67 View Post
OCF guy, you've mentioned something that has been on my mind lately. Recently, in the Bay Area, a lady was killed when she hit a pallet on the freeway while riding her motorcycle. Purely chance happening, could've been me or anyone here. What really worries me, is my wife getting a knock at the door, or the Sheriffs call, telling her that I've been killed. Really, I don't worry about crashing and dying very much, but I do worry about what would happen with her, and it fuckin' kills me. So much so, that I'm thinking about selling my KTM and quitting riding on the street, so much shit can happen that is beyond our control.
I used to know a guy who thought like that. He quit street riding for road racing- too dangerous riding on the street. He quit road racing for dirt bikes- road racing was too fast (and a local rider broke his back and spent the rest of his life in a wheelchair).

He started riding in the wide open desert... where he one day impaled himself on a broken tree limb.

There is no such thing as "safe". I hesitate to say there's such a thing as "less risky"- I think a given person will take action at whatever endeavor to the level of their personal tolerance for [percieved] risk, so there's only "differently risky".
dwoodward is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2013, 09:07 AM   #36
señormoto
Supermoto Abuser

Oddometer: 1,110
Quote:
OCF guy, you've mentioned something that has been on my mind lately. Recently, in the Bay Area, a lady was killed when she hit a pallet on the freeway while riding her motorcycle. Purely chance happening, could've been me or anyone here. What really worries me, is my wife getting a knock at the door, or the Sheriffs call, telling her that I've been killed. Really, I don't worry about crashing and dying very much, but I do worry about what would happen with her, and it fuckin' kills me. So much so, that I'm thinking about selling my KTM and quitting riding on the street, so much shit can happen that is beyond our control. You could be the safest, most proficient rider out there, and BAM!, fuckin' pallet knocks you under a truck. I've been doing this for 41 years, it's all I've ever really done. But I still go back to thinking about the knock at the door that ladies family got, or her parents, or whoever.

Fuck.
You can't live life that way; well you can but it's a recipe for neutering yourself. Just go be a hermit if you're going to sell the motorcycle.. and wear oven mitts on your hands at all times, a diaper, and two pair of socks. You never know when you could cut yourself or stub your toe and then piss yourself. It COULD happen!

But seriously, just don't commute in rush hour if it feels too dangerous. Be safe and alert when you ride after work or on the weekends. You can die walking in the parking lot at the grocery store, you can die sitting on the toilet, but you can't get the same enjoyment out of anything like you can a motorcycle.

I used to live in the bay and I know how dangerous those roads can get with all of the moron drivers, and I've had friends die from various moto crashes, but life without a motorcycle is not much of a life.

Bringing that topic up on a moto forum is asking for responses like this of course.

Edit: as for my personal crashes, I think it's been 1 totaled sport bike (car door opened on me while legally splitting lanes in CA), one crashed and fixed sport bike (lowside), one totaled 250cc from a 60mph race crash, and an untold number of smaller dirtbike crashes that fall under "becoming more proficient through knowing what not to do".
Old 06-29-2013, 01:19 PM   #37
Aussijussi
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,079
Eek

65 years old, 50 plus years riding one crash, woman made a u turn in front of me. Never count the ones on dirt. Op was writing about someone crashing 1000 times, that's just ridiculous, you'd have to drop the bike near every time he goes riding, his bike must be a mess, must be having us on.
Aussijussi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2013, 02:35 PM   #38
viverrid
not dead yet

Oddometer: 30,482
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aussijussi View Post
Op was writing about someone crashing 1000 times, that's just ridiculous, you'd have to drop the bike near every time he goes riding,
That's in the dirt, mate. Used to ride dirt 3 or even 4 days per week. Easy to get up to 1,000 if you ride challenging terrain.

Interesting comparison here. I came up with that estimate after taking a very experienced long distance road rider, who wanted to learn dirt, on a first ride in the woods (that rider had just bought a used a DR-350 for the purpose). That new dirt rider had NEVER been down on pavement, but fell 6 times in six miles of easy dirt and by the 6th time had became too exhausted to pick up the bike.

Dirt is a different world from road. And that's why there is a pretty big aftermarket for plastic body parts for more common dirt and dualsport bikes. They do get pretty scuffed up pretty quickly.
Advanced pancreatic cancer found 04/2010. Have outlived +/- 97% of patients with this diagnosis, but 08/2013 cancer now in liver, vascular system and lungs with 20+ lung tumors. Sick/weak sometimes, not riding much. No more treatments & now under Hospice care.
viverrid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2013, 06:58 AM   #39
Homey
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 542
Quote:
So, how many is too many?...
When you don't get up anymore. That's too many.
Homey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2013, 06:08 AM   #40
Aj Mick
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 509
Quote:
So, how many is too many?

A while back, a guy mentioned he had crashed or dropped his bike, at least 1000 times.

In the dirt, I've probably crashed 100 times, more or less. On the street, once in 1979. Riding since 1971 or so. I think, if I would have crashed 1000 times on the street, besides not being able to afford new levers and bars every month, I probably would have given up years ago.

So how many is too many? When you can't afford the hospital bills or insurance premiums any more? When you physically can't pick it up any more? When you need to buy a 3 wheeler? When do you hang it up?
Quote:
Originally Posted by khager View Post
One crash for me on the street, a few more in the dirt, I"ve been riding street since 78 at the tender age of 16 ahhhhh! the good old days. Maybe we should do a poll.
Quote:
Originally Posted by sieg View Post
40 years hundreds of thousands of miles, on the street, down one time when I hit a dog. On the other hand 40 years, tens of thousands of miles, off road racing and riding, more times than I can count.
Similar story for many here, many I know, and me.

Off road, the odd off goes with the territory.

Riding since '65, licenced since '69 (a couple of weeks after I turned 15). Only crash thus far was in 1976; not my fault, but realised with greater awareness I could have avoided it.

It doesn't make us immune, but on the road, recognise the risk and deal with it..... or give up on motorcycling. A few add way more to the statistics than they should.
Old 07-07-2013, 03:49 AM   #41
omeoxlv
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 255
We have all watched the wildlife shows which show the huge swarms of birds or fish or wilderbeast. We have all seen how the predators which feed off those large masses pick off the outer runners or the sick or old etc.
We might call that luck but I have often wondered if the animal staying at the centre of the pack is maybe a bit smarter than the one running on the outside?
But the Emperor Penguins stand in a huddle to keep warm and they change places periodically so that they share the outside position. Maybe the birds do it too, all taking turns to be on the exposed edge?
Not relevant? maybe not.
59 soon, 2 majors on road, 1974 and earlier this year. Still alive and riding though so thats something!
But, in each of my cases, had I been trying harder to concentrate, be prepared for the unexpected or (god forbid) slow down a bit, then they likely would not have happened. Or would they, simply because I was out there----------
omeoxlv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2013, 04:31 AM   #42
omeoxlv
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 255
Quote:
Originally Posted by omeoxlv View Post
We have all watched the wildlife shows which show the huge swarms of birds or fish or wilderbeast. We have all seen how the predators which feed off those large masses pick off the outer runners or the sick or old etc.
We might call that luck but I have often wondered if the animal staying at the centre of the pack is maybe a bit smarter than the one running on the outside?
But the Emperor Penguins stand in a huddle to keep warm and they change places periodically so that they share the outside position. Maybe the birds do it too, all taking turns to be on the exposed edge?
Not relevant? maybe not.
59 soon, 2 majors on road, 1974 and earlier this year. Still alive and riding though so thats something!
But, in each of my cases, had I been trying harder to concentrate, be prepared for the unexpected or (god forbid) slow down a bit, then they likely would not have happened. Or would they, simply because I was out there----------
What, all a bit profound was it? Blame the wine
omeoxlv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2013, 05:36 AM   #43
manfromthestix
Lost in Space

Oddometer: 2,115
I was riding home from work the other day up a busy Interstate (so I could get out of the city faster) in a heavy rain. I found myself behind a semi tractor-trailer rig in the left lane and running beside another TT rig, an enormous tow truck pulling another tractor facing backwards. I thought, "WTF I bet these guys can't even see me in all this rain and spray, I should get off this ferking interstate and onto a secondary road where it's safer". So I did. I didn't ever think "I should quit riding because this is dangerous". As has been said repeatedly, living is dangerous and you just have to manage the risks as well as possible, build your skills, utilize whatever is available to make yourself more conspicuous (lights, clothing, stay out of blind spots, etc.), PAY ATTENTION, and wear proper gear in case you do crash.

All that said, there is always the chance for a total accident, someone else's fault, and you just have to be as prepared as you can and rely on your skills. My wife and I were riding two-up to a dinner date a couple weekends ago, about 4:00 in the afternoon, full sun, gorgeous day, riding down a country road near our home that we travel all the time. I noticed a dump truck approaching the main road on a side road to our right, noticed he was going kinda fast given that he had a T-intersection and stop coming up, so I rolled off the throttle as I gauged the situation. He never even started to slow down! As we both got closer to the intersection I decided I was never going to get the bike stopped in time even if I laid on the brakes hard as I could, so I hit the gas and moved as far left as I could. He finally noticed he was at the intersection and slammed his brakes on and came skidding out into the main road in a cloud of dust and gravel, just behind us. My wife said all she could see was his enormous grille and bumper about two feet from us, but I think it was more like five to ten feet. Whatever, it was a ferking dump truck! By the time he came to a stop just short of running into the creek on the far side of his intersection, we were probably fifty feet beyond. I stopped and asked my wife if she was OK, she said yeah, that was close, I almost peed myself but we need to get going or be late for dinner. I love that lady. She loves to ride with me as much as I love riding, so we do it knowing it can be dangerous and take all the precautions we can. She was very complimentary and appreciative of my reactions and skill in managing the situation . That was the closest call I've had in years, but of course not the only one. And like stated above, biffing my dirt bikes doesn't count and I think I passed 1000 wrecks on those things decades ago!

Ride if you love it, stay home or take a car if it's too much risk for your personal liking. Personally, I will ride until I can't any longer. 50 years and counting and it's still a thrill every time I get on a bike.

Doug

manfromthestix screwed with this post 07-09-2013 at 10:05 AM
manfromthestix is offline   Reply With Quote