User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 41 votes, 4.90 average. Display Modes
Old 06-19-2013, 04:40 PM   #391
JNRobert
Breaking Wind

Oddometer: 9,633
Holy shit, Japan just hit the post and the crossbar in the same move, what a game

God, I hate Italy Pirlo is shit, Italy is tired and yet they still beat Japan. If the Japanese had played this way against Brazil they'd still be in the competition.

Viva Espana

JNRobert screwed with this post 06-19-2013 at 04:52 PM
JNRobert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2013, 11:30 PM   #392
wxwax
Excited Member

Oddometer: 74,838
Japan didn't deserve to lose. As they said after the game, Japan doesn't yet know how to manage a game one they're up 2-0. Wide open, not something you often say about an Italy match. Japan looked awfully good and may be the team you don't want to meet at the World Cup next year.

Stutter step is legal as long as you don't come to a full stop. People who do that style flirt with a total stop, but they never actually do it. Personally, I hate it. I say disguise your body language and thump the ball into a corner.

Brutal refereeing, neither penalty was a good call.

For Brazil, two moments of magic from Neymar decided the game. The second was fantastic skill.

Brazil still don't look like a team. They had trouble holding the ball against a spirited Mexico. It's hard to see them effectively beating Spain's press. And their defending still looks panicky. Barrerra tortured Marcelo, who simply couldn't keep up.

Mexico gave a decent account of themselves, although their new 3-man back line fell apart on the first goal. Imagine leaving Neymar unmarked! The effort might have been enough to save their coach's job. But now they have 2 goals in their last 6 matches, only one of them from open play.

It has been said that man is a rational animal. All my life I have been searching for evidence which could support this.
-- Bertrand Russell

To make an apple pie from scratch,
you must first invent the universe.
-- Carl Sagan
wxwax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2013, 12:27 AM   #393
wxwax
Excited Member

Abby Wambach scored 4 against South Korea to seize the international scoring record from Mia Hamm with 160 goals. That's more than any other woman -- or man -- has scored for their national team. Canada's great striker Christy Sinclair in hot on her heels though, with 145.

It has been said that man is a rational animal. All my life I have been searching for evidence which could support this.
-- Bertrand Russell

-- Carl Sagan
Old 06-21-2013, 06:24 PM   #394
JNRobert
Breaking Wind

Forlan showing his world cup form

Old 06-21-2013, 11:12 PM   #395
wxwax
Excited Member

Refs are using shaving foam for free kicks in the U20 World Cup, as they do in MLS. I like it and wish other leagues adopted it. Ends all arguments and delays.

-- Bertrand Russell

-- Carl Sagan
Old 06-22-2013, 11:01 PM   #396
wxwax
Excited Member

Never seen this before.

Italy's second goal v. Brazil. Corner kick. Ball comes into the box. Gustavo pulled Balotelli to the ground. Ref blows his whistle to award a penalty just as Chiellini shoots from about 12 yards.

The ball went in and the ref decided to count the goal instead of making Italy take the penalty. Not sure if Julio Cesar could have stopped the shot, but he visibly stopped trying when he heard the whistle.

Really strange. Not sure that's legal, is it?

-- Bertrand Russell

-- Carl Sagan

wxwax screwed with this post 06-22-2013 at 11:08 PM
Old 06-23-2013, 10:25 PM   #397
wxwax
Excited Member

Quote:
RIO DE JANEIRO (AP) --The referee who awarded Italy a goal after first whistling for a penalty in Saturday's Confederations Cup match against Brazil has admitted he made a mistake, FIFA said on Sunday.

Referee Ravshan Irmatov of Uzbekistan blew his whistle to award Italy a penalty. A second later, as play continued, Giorgio Chiellini scored.

Irmatov was seen pointing at the penalty spot but then giving a goal.

"He has admitted he made a mistake,'' said FIFA spokesman Pekka Odriozola.

Irmatov, a widely respected referee, had been expected to have a chance to referee the Confederations Cup final next Sunday but is now expected to be sent home along with his assistants, who also made two key errors in Saturday's game.

Brazil won the match 4-2.

Chiellini's goal brought the score to 3-2 to Brazil.

Odriozola said Irmatov had not made any excuses about his mistake, but had explained it by saying, "while I was whistling for a penalty, out of the corner of my eye I saw the goal and I thought advantage should be played and gave the goal.''
Read More: http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/soc...#ixzz2X6mhtSYs

-- Bertrand Russell

-- Carl Sagan
Old 06-25-2013, 07:40 AM   #398
JNRobert
Breaking Wind

^ Watched the game last night. Bad decision but lets face it, if Balotelli was taking the penalty it was probably a foregone conclusion

Shitty either way. I've been to watch Brasil twice with a twenty year gap between each and on both occasions they've been one of the dirtiest teams I've seen. It's no accident that the roots of their game is Italian. I'm still not impressed with them and they dive, dissemble and play nasty with the best. This is not the reincarnation of '74

All in all, a scrappy game but I'm hoping it's a Spain - Uruguay final. I think Spain will take Brazil apart but the Uruguay front line will give Spain some headaches and make it an interesting game. The Italians are punching above their weight right now.
Old 06-25-2013, 10:35 AM   #399
wxwax
Excited Member

If it's Spain-Brazil, it might be interesting. Brazil will struggle with Spain's press and Brazil's defense has been shaky. David Luiz has a "dead leg" and might not play.

On the other hand, Spain's back line is equally nervous and they could be exposed if Brazil can break away.

Spain's tendency to play narrow could actually help the Brazilians defend.

There will be a separate competition for diving and haranguing the ref. I expect Spain to handily win that title.

-- Bertrand Russell

-- Carl Sagan
Old 06-25-2013, 01:05 PM   #400
Bshelton OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 381
Quote:
Originally Posted by wxwax View Post
If it's Spain-Brazil, it might be interesting. Brazil will struggle with Spain's press and Brazil's defense has been shaky. David Luiz has a "dead leg" and might not play.

On the other hand, Spain's back line is equally nervous and they could be exposed if Brazil can break away.

Spain's tendency to play narrow could actually help the Brazilians defend.

There will be a separate competition for diving and haranguing the ref. I expect Spain to handily win that title.

Couldnt have put it better myself
Old 06-25-2013, 06:15 PM   #401
JNRobert
Breaking Wind

Quote:
Whatever. Seriously, the Spanish have not come close to the drama of both the Brazilians and Italians throwing themselves to the ground particular in the first half. Neymar alone should have had an Oscar (no pun intended) with best supporting act from Danny Alves.

Talking of which, the real Oscar is, for me, far and away the most creative player on that team. I like him at Chelsea and it's nice to see his form continue at the International level.
Old 06-25-2013, 08:37 PM   #402
Bshelton OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 381
Quote:
Originally Posted by JNRobert View Post
Whatever. Seriously, the Spanish have not come close to the drama of both the Brazilians and Italians throwing themselves to the ground particular in the first half. Neymar alone should have had an Oscar (no pun intended) with best supporting act from Danny Alves.
Whoa whoa whoa. Seriously? Did you see the WC final? They are the most divingest team in the world, and they got a trophy to show for it!
Old 06-25-2013, 08:42 PM   #403
wxwax
Excited Member

I do hate Alves, I can't wait for his career to end. Punk. But you have to remember, he was trained in Barcelona. That's where he learned the dark arts.

Oscar wasn't a big factor against Italy. He played well against Mexico. As you'd expect from a young player, his form drifts in and out. In England, Mourinho will play him because Oscar isn't afraid to track back and tackle. But his slight frame was an issue last season.

Neymar has scored in every game. Not bad. His assist v. Italy was fantastic, not just beautiful skill and touch, but also the composure to find the open man once he broke in. They say he's a hard worker and takes direction well. That bodes well for when he moves to Spain, because he'll have to make a lot of adjustments, not least learning how to press.

Fernando Torres has 5 goals, 3 more than anyone else. It would be funny if this man, who isn't anyone's first choice, wins the Golden Boot as he did at last year's Euros.

Brazilian players love their touches, they don't move the ball around swiftly, and that's why I think they'll struggle with Spain's press, should the two teams meet in the final.

It's funny watching Spain press like Pep's Barca did. It helps their so-so defense enormously. I still don't understand why Tito Vilanova had Barca back off last season. Did he think his older midfielders couldn't press hard for an entire season? Whatever the reason, seems to me he removed a key ingredient of Barcelona's success.

Speaking of Pep, he'll be doing some adjusting himself. He said he won't be imposing Barcelona's style on Bayern. He said he'll have to adapt. It's going to be fascinating watching how this highly intelligent man goes about his business.

-- Bertrand Russell

-- Carl Sagan
Old 06-25-2013, 08:44 PM   #404
JNRobert
Breaking Wind

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bshelton View Post
Whoa whoa whoa. Seriously? Did you see the WC final? They are the most divingest team in the world, and they got a trophy to show for it!
Riiight . . .

Old 06-25-2013, 08:59 PM   #405
JNRobert
Breaking Wind

Quote:
I do hate Alves, I can't wait for his career to end. Punk. But you have to remember, he was trained in Barcelona. That's where he learned the dark arts.
There you go again.

Quote:
Neymar has scored in every game. Not bad. His assist v. Italy was fantastic, not just beautiful skill and touch, but also the composure to find the open man once he broke in. They say he's a hard worker and takes direction well. That bodes well for when he moves to Spain, because he'll have to make a lot of adjustments, not least learning how to press.
I'll admit to being a little more impressed with him but, we'll see how he does at Barcelona. I hope he doesn't turn into the next Sanchez.

Quote:
Fernando Torres has 5 goals, 3 more than anyone else. It would be funny if this man, who isn't anyone's first choice, wins the Golden Boot as he did at last year's Euros.
Considering how profligate Soldano was in front of goal against Nigeria (chances you feel that even Torres would have converted) and then coming on and scoring with a diving header like a good old fashioned CF, you've got to love the guy. He's a shadow of his Liverpool self but he's the best that Spain has right now. Against the brutal center backs that Brazil has (one thing that's always forgotten in the hagiography of Brazilian football is just how tought their defensive players can be), I think he might be in for a long day. On the other hand, Spain can play the break too - his goal against Germany in the Euro final for instance - and he's in his element on those.

Quote:
Brazilian players love their touches, they don't move the ball around swiftly, and that's why I think they'll struggle with Spain's press, should the two teams meet in the final.

It's funny watching Spain press like Pep's Barca did. It helps their so-so defense enormously. I still don't understand why Tito Vilanova had Barca back off last season. Did he think his older midfielders couldn't press hard for an entire season? Whatever the reason, seems to me he removed a key ingredient of Barcelona's success.
No doubt. I've been very unimpressed with the Brazilian touch and passing in general. Whenever Italy put them under pressure they lost the ball. Unfortunately, Italy wasn't much better in possession either, they really needed an in-form Pirlo to manage the pace and movement.

Quote:
Speaking of Pep, he'll be doing some adjusting himself. He said he won't be imposing Barcelona's style on Bayern. He said he'll have to adapt. It's going to be fascinating watching how this highly intelligent man goes about his business.
And he's already speaking German. The man's a monster.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: