Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Old's Cool > 2 smokers
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-16-2013, 05:47 AM   #31
ihatemybike OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 332
Supposed to rain again tomorrow chasing me away from working on the cages in the driveway, so I'll be back to looking at the bike.

I'll pull the carb again and see what kind of flow I can get through the pilot jet.

The floats are in good condition, no holes or fluid inside.
Old 05-16-2013, 10:56 AM   #32
Turbo Ghost
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 176
Before you go any further, check to see if the petcock is fully flowing. I had the same problem on mine and the petcock was bad. Once I replaced it, it ran fine......for a while

It apparently doesn't care for long periods of highway speeds with my 6'2" 200lbs on it! I've melted two pistons! Wiseco isn't making them anymore so, I'll have to find one on ebay.
Turbo Ghost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2013, 06:19 AM   #33
ihatemybike OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Bike got buried in the garage a bit while other projects took priority. Cleaned the pilot jet again. Still had the same problem. Finally broke down and hauled the bike to the local Kawasaki shop, explained the problem, then the tech started the bike and rode off no problem. He stopped, then rode off again. That's when I saw it and just about kicked myself in the head. Down, up, up! I knew this shortly after getting the bike, but after I got the motor running my head was using the Up, down, down of the 1971 Yamaha I had in HS.

I was bogging the motor cause I was trying to take off in 2nd.

Armed with the correct shift pattern, I'm now able to ride it. I've taken it out to some lessor patrolled country roads to practice riding it and see what it can do. Feel pretty comfortable on the bike now and I've found it will hit 55 on the speedo on flat ground.

Plan is to tax, title and register it within the next couple days, finish getting all the lights working, and ride the heck out of it.

ihatemybike screwed with this post 06-17-2013 at 06:31 AM
ihatemybike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2013, 07:52 AM   #34
bogieboy
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 819
Wow...LOL sometimes its not anything wrong with the bike...just simply operator error....LOL

Glad to hear its running good! I can get mine to 54 (gps comfirmed) but i dropped my front sproket from a 15 to a 13t....so much better off road with the 13t front
bogieboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2013, 08:04 AM   #35
jordan325ic
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 245
Hahaha, that's hilarious. Sometimes our assumptions can lead us very far astray. Kept trying to diagnose your fuel problem and you probably would have replaced every pieces on that bike eventually. Pirsig said the scientific method is unstoppable but has to be used viciously to yield results, but often the problems are so big (but simple) that we can't see every hypothesis. Your mission to "fix" your carbs is a perfect example. In 3 pages of advice nobody thought to ask "Is the bike actually in 1st gear?" because that problem is so obvious we can't think of it.

I have been called by several friends over the years, "My bike is broken! The stupid fuel valve/ignition/carbs/battery/etc...". Ride out there, take one look in the tank and tell them they're out of fuel.

I have also paid $130 for a tow on a bike with a blown fuse, convinced it was the original coil that had finally bit the dust. Had I went at the problem with a clear head, I could have been back on the road within 5 minutes. I assumed that just because the fuse looked good it must be good, without attempting to test that hypothesis with the spare fuse.

Anyway, I think everyone has been guilty of this at one point or another. Great lessons in humility.
jordan325ic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2013, 05:19 PM   #36
ihatemybike OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Laugh

Yeah, it's pretty darned funny and obviously I'm not afraid to poke fun at myself. Told all my friends that have been riding for some time and got a few good laughs. I had no idea that the industry had standardized motorcycle shift patterns. I remember in HS that my friends and I all had different patterns and had a hard time riding each others bikes.

I'm glad to have this out there for others to see and hopefully avoid my mistake.

Bike has been rideable since early Saturday afternoon and I can't leave it alone, taking it out for a yard cruise in the grass yesterday and today. My fool self even lifting the front wheel a little bit.
Old 06-17-2013, 06:35 PM   #37
bogieboy
Studly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by ihatemybike View Post
Yeah, it's pretty darned funny and obviously I'm not afraid to poke fun at myself. Told all my friends that have been riding for some time and got a few good laughs. I had no idea that the industry had standardized motorcycle shift patterns. I remember in HS that my friends and I all had different patterns and had a hard time riding each others bikes.

I'm glad to have this out there for others to see and hopefully avoid my mistake.

Bike has been rideable since early Saturday afternoon and I can't leave it alone, taking it out for a yard cruise in the grass yesterday and today. My fool self even lifting the front wheel a little bit.
funniest part is the shifter pattern is marked right on the side case above the shifter...
Old 06-19-2013, 08:47 AM   #38
solorider40
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 697
Thread Jack

ihatemybike, I'm glad to see you got the problem figured out. I hope you don't mind if I kinda jack your thread with my problem.

I have a 2001 KE-100 and It wouldn't idle. So I pulled the carb off and cleaned it, and put it back together the way it came apart. All settings the same. Now it idles and runs great, but when you let off the throttle it pops in the carb area. Likes it blowing back pressure through the carb. Any of you KE riders have any suggestions?
CMA#112674
AMA#1080306
2008 KLR650E
2001 KE100 (daughters bike)
1983 IT250
solorider40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2013, 10:39 AM   #39
bogieboy
Studly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by solorider40 View Post
ihatemybike, I'm glad to see you got the problem figured out. I hope you don't mind if I kinda jack your thread with my problem.

I have a 2001 KE-100 and It wouldn't idle. So I pulled the carb off and cleaned it, and put it back together the way it came apart. All settings the same. Now it idles and runs great, but when you let off the throttle it pops in the carb area. Likes it blowing back pressure through the carb. Any of you KE riders have any suggestions?
So youre saying its backfiring thru the carb on decel? Hmm... Possibly running a bit lean but that would usually be thru the tail pipe, not the carb...
Old 06-20-2013, 04:48 AM   #40
solorider40
Studly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by bogieboy View Post
So youre saying its backfiring thru the carb on decel? Hmm... Possibly running a bit lean but that would usually be thru the tail pipe, not the carb...
Its not running lean, there is smoke coming out of the exhaust. Seems to me its the correct amount of two stroke smoke.
CMA#112674
AMA#1080306
2008 KLR650E
1983 IT250
Old 06-20-2013, 05:24 AM   #41
bogieboy
Studly Adventurer

Quote:
Its not running lean, there is smoke coming out of the exhaust. Seems to me its the correct amount of two stroke smoke.
Pull the spark plug... The problem with a 2 stroke is that you can have the right amount of smoke (due to the auto oiler system working right) but still be lean from the carb. You are dealing with 2 seprate systems there...
Old 06-21-2013, 06:08 AM   #42
solorider40
Studly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by bogieboy View Post
Pull the spark plug... The problem with a 2 stroke is that you can have the right amount of smoke (due to the auto oiler system working right) but still be lean from the carb. You are dealing with 2 seprate systems there...
Your right! I was thinking in pre-mix mode and the auto oiler changes that. I'll make some adjustments and see if that fixes it.
CMA#112674
AMA#1080306
2008 KLR650E
1983 IT250
Old 06-21-2013, 06:28 AM   #43
bogieboy
Studly Adventurer

Quote:
Your right! I was thinking in pre-mix mode and the auto oiler changes that. I'll make some adjustments and see if that fixes it.
Haha hope it helps!