Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > The perfect line and other riding myths
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-20-2013, 01:30 PM   #61
ktmdirtybiker
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 158
are they going to give some money to the kids?

I watched the first two episodes on demand last night. I am assuming that they are going to an orphanage to do some work, a good deed I guess. My question is, would it have been better to take all the money it cost to produce this show, plus all the money these highly paid people could have earned in the time it took to do the show and give it to the orphanage? Then they could hire local people and boost the local economyand fix the building. A friend who works for a charity in Africa told me of a donation to her charity of half a million dollars. A large gift to be sure, then the donor spent over a million dollars telling the world how generous they were.
I am the last guy to tell anybody how to give away their money, but I was taught never to brag about how generous I am in comparison to someone else. Be charitable and be quiet about it. A wise man once said " It is amazing how much you can get done when you don't try and get credit for it".
I will try and watch the rest of the shows and maybe I will feel less jaded by this show. I have never traveled anywhere except the US, but I have seen lots hard working very poor people in my travels in my big truck. If I had been in some of the poorer sections of America wearing three or four thousand dollars worth of clothing in front of people whose clothes are falling apart, I am not sure what my feelings would have been.
Hopefully thus show will get better.
ktmdirtybiker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2013, 01:53 PM   #62
guitarin OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 176
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mercury264 View Post
But they're different shows aren't they - hence my comment. That clip has what appears to be an XR...

So, Darien, burn/no-burn

NO BURN!
guitarin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2013, 02:16 PM   #63
Mercury264
Once you go Triple...

Oddometer: 21,749
Quote:
Originally Posted by guitarin View Post
NO BURN!
Damn, I had the gas can all ready...
'99 XR650L
'99 Speed Triple
Mercury264 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2013, 02:17 PM   #64
Mercury264
Once you go Triple...

Oddometer: 21,749
Quote:
Originally Posted by ktmdirtybiker View Post
I watched the first two episodes on demand last night. I am assuming that they are going to an orphanage to do some work, a good deed I guess. My question is, would it have been better to take all the money it cost to produce this show, plus all the money these highly paid people could have earned in the time it took to do the show and give it to the orphanage? Then they could hire local people and boost the local economyand fix the building. A friend who works for a charity in Africa told me of a donation to her charity of half a million dollars. A large gift to be sure, then the donor spent over a million dollars telling the world how generous they were.
I am the last guy to tell anybody how to give away their money, but I was taught never to brag about how generous I am in comparison to someone else. Be charitable and be quiet about it. A wise man once said " It is amazing how much you can get done when you don't try and get credit for it".
I will try and watch the rest of the shows and maybe I will feel less jaded by this show. I have never traveled anywhere except the US, but I have seen lots hard working very poor people in my travels in my big truck. If I had been in some of the poorer sections of America wearing three or four thousand dollars worth of clothing in front of people whose clothes are falling apart, I am not sure what my feelings would have been.
Hopefully thus show will get better.
I sure hope you're not holding your breath...
'99 XR650L
'99 Speed Triple
Mercury264 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2013, 03:10 PM   #65
flei
queasy rider

Oddometer: 512
a lot of discussion about a TV SHOW- television sucks.
Old 06-20-2013, 10:46 PM   #66
Geolander
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 359
I had to find it on demand to see what all the fuss was about. As I am home with a bruised ACL from my last ride anyway I managed to get through both episodes.. With the help of some marijuana.

It's crap.

Best part so far, the old doctor chick in a bikini FTW.
Geolander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2013, 07:10 AM   #67
cliffy109
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,585
Quote:
Originally Posted by guitarin View Post
They're sponsoring the show. The Compassionate, the Motorcycle Dare Devil and Philanthropist, acting as he really does behind cameras while making fun of poor Peruvian lady's unfortunate life. His behavior is despicable !
Not from that clip they are not. That clip is indeed despicable but it is also clearly not from this show's ride. The people, gear and bikes are not what are seen in the BMW sponsored show.

As to the show, I guess I am able to separate the silliness from the cool stuff. There is a fair amount of cool stuff to see. In a strange way, I also kind of enjoy watching 3 VERY privileged people coping with this. They just don't have the same view of the world as I do and it is like watching a dog that is seeing snow for the first time. They poke and prod and don't know what to make of any of it. They are pretty clueless and that is part of what makes the show entertaining.

The riding is indeed fun to watch. South America is VERY different than what we here here in the US. It reminds me of my own trip to Chile and Argentina and makes me want to go back. I couldn't afford the accommodations they have but again, I can overlook that on TV.
cliffy109 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2013, 07:47 AM   #68
dwayne
Silly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,110
Quote:
Originally Posted by lkchris View Post
Metezer rep spoke at our dealer a few weeks ago and made the statement he's never riding on knobbies again. 21st century technology is grip via chemistry, i.e. rubber compound he says.
that right there is why you shouldn't buy product based solely on what a rep says.

A "Day" of Dirt Biking Rockies East Slopes
High and Dry Colorado and Utah

"When your only tool is a hammer, every problem looks like a nail"
dwayne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2013, 07:54 AM   #69
dwayne
Silly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,110
Quote:
Originally Posted by Martin_404 View Post
Just saw the youtube teaser and am not going to watch this series.

NEALE BAYLY RIDES Trailer from Neale Bayly Rides on Vimeo.

At the end, one of the guys makes a remark that only a rich snob (he ownes an IT company) could make : "how does a kid end up in a orphanage? How does a parent do that to somebody?"

Yes, these parents must have been enjoying their brunch one day and decided "why not put my child in an orphanage, so I can play golf"
Or "you know what, today is a convinient day to die"

These dumb poor people make such stupid choices and career moves.
They are jusk asking for it.
Look at me, I'm doing fine, so why can't they?
I saw that too. It made me swear. Then I realized it might be an edit by some idiot producer... either way someone has no clue.

A "Day" of Dirt Biking Rockies East Slopes
High and Dry Colorado and Utah

"When your only tool is a hammer, every problem looks like a nail"
dwayne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2013, 06:19 PM   #70
The_Commander
The Man.

Oddometer: 5,714
What a shitshow.
The_Commander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2013, 07:26 PM   #71
JimNtexas
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 281
Quote:
Originally Posted by cliffy109 View Post
As to the show, I guess I am able to separate the silliness from the cool stuff. There is a fair amount of cool stuff to see. In a strange way, I also kind of enjoy watching 3 VERY privileged people coping with this. They just don't have the same view of the world as I do and it is like watching a dog that is seeing snow for the first time. ...
The riding is indeed fun to watch....
I agree 100%. While every criticism in this thread is more or less valid, I still enjoyed seeing a 3 hour TV show with interesting motorcycles and rides in it.

I just didn't let the 'drama' bother me.

You can only be young once. But you can always be immature.
- Dave Barry
JimNtexas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2013, 09:04 PM   #72
Mossy_Crk
Fallen over

Oddometer: 643
Recently I had the chance to chat at length with someone affiliated with the show. I was told that not too long ago Neale brought another show with really nice teaser footage and shopped it around to the usual networks. Each one told his it was too "smart" and needed to be dumbed down for the US market. A motorcycle travel show which focused on motorcycles and/or travel was not going to make it on air. I got the impression that what we saw edited together for this NBR isn't the show he wanted to show, but the best he could get on air. There was enough footage shot to tell a very different story had they wanted/been able to.

In order to get the type of show most of us here are wanting, we need to get vocal with the folks at networks like Fox-Speed and their advertisers and let them know that not only is there is a demographic for this, but that we will spend money with those companies who choose to support and advertise with that type of show.

The hate of Charlie/Ewan in the community didn't help our cause much. Here was some serious cash thrown down and people still make fun of them and call them posers for support crews (because they had a schedule and $$$ film equipment) like any prime time quality show has to have. This is all a guess on my part, but I'm thinking advertisers wouldn't want to tie themselves to programming that gets ridiculed by the "hard core," whatever the hell that term even means these days.

This NBR was okay. Just okay. I think it had potential to be so much more though. Maybe we'll get to see more of the riding that got left on the editing room floor.
Mossy_Crk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2013, 09:44 AM   #73
BlueLghtning
Riding is my passion

Oddometer: 4,799
In the end, I agree that the show was just okay. I enjoyed it enough to watch all 3 episodes but it certainly isn't worth re-watching. I do think it could have been so much more though and I'm sure the networks had a heavy hand in how it turned out.

It was funny as my wife thought Dr Laura was very unrepresentative of the female adventure motorcycle rider. I mean, who brings all that jewelry, a couple dresses, a different outfit and then some for an 8 day + motorcycle trip. Well, I guess one where you don't have to carry your own luggage. Oh yeah, and she was in full make-up every time you see her with the helmet on.

James was a bit of a whiny butt and the fact they focused so much time on whether or not he was fit to ride and just wouldn't let it go really hampered this last episode. I thought the whole forcing people to ride in the truck every episode was a bit over the top too. I mean, you are on an adventure ride and you are going to have some tough times with weather and less than ideal conditions to get through. I guess though when you have a support truck, the option is there. I think Troy got the best seat time though when they were experiencing the wet cold weather going over the high pass. Of course, he missed out on some epic riding too.
Smugmug Pics - Save $5: Y2l43o9LVBERU

BlueLghtning screwed with this post 06-24-2013 at 02:18 PM
BlueLghtning is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2013, 10:17 AM   #74
kingby
Adventurer

Oddometer: 85
I couldn't watch. Everytime it came on, I kept seeing that guy (don't know which one) with that goofy looking blue fringy toque on. That one small thing drove me to change the channel everytime. Petty I know, but is got under my skin for some reason.

If I got any further, I am sure there were numerous other irritating elements to this show.

Funny how one small item (and really a meaningless one) had me change the channel. I wonder if producers see those types of issues when they put the shows together?? I stopped me from watching.
kingby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2013, 03:33 PM   #75
cardoctor1
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 508
watched the last 20 minutes. i thought bmw's had heated grips.
IBA#35592
RIDE EVERY RIDE LIKE ITS YOUR LAST
00 R1150GS
cardoctor1 is offline   Reply With Quote