Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-13-2013, 06:21 PM   #31
Cpt. Ron OP
Advrider #128

Oddometer: 3,052
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ronin ADV View Post
IMO these types of devices are bit heavy although some guys on big bikes like a GS are using winches.

Here's a much lighter more compact solution:
http://advrider.com/forums/showpost....4&postcount=35
I even have that set of pulleys from Adventure Engineering, great value. I didn't have it with me this time out, not that there was much to anchor to anyway. Regardless, it's a tool I should be familiar with using before needing it.

"I don't know what you do, but I know what I do, and I don't do that." --Uncle Doug, R.I.P.
"Without the possibility of death, adventure is not possible"--Reinhold Messner
Cpt. Ron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2013, 07:55 PM   #32
joefromsf
Dark Happens

Oddometer: 1,462
I think they also just recently covered z-drag equipment and techniques in the Toolkit Thread.

We can't crash an infinite amount of times, so you better learn from every one! (by ARZ)
joefromsf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2013, 08:36 AM   #33
Sparrowhawk
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,829
I do a fair amount of solo back country riding and have not done anything yet worth a story. Like most say; plenty of water, snacks, tools, and medical stuff. Two rules I follow help me stay out of trouble.

Don't ride down anything I will have trouble getting back up. If in doubt park the bike and walk it first.

The other I bend sometimes depending on the remoteness of place and weather. Don't ride solo into the unknown beyond half a tank. Even though the road/trail is good and the map shows a clear route you may not know about a bridge being washed out or a rock slide. Fifty miles goes by fast but can be a long way to walk.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk 2
Sparrowhawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2013, 11:16 AM   #34
Tinker1980
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 586
Great thread. One thing I can agree with is DON'T RIDE ALONE. It's asking for trouble. And bring tools.

A friend, my brother, and myself were riding at Hudson lake. I had my 08 KLR, Friend Ray had his 09 KLR, Brother Sean had his 09 DR650. He tried to skirt the DR650 around a mud hole, and the back tire slid in, dropped the bike - and it turned out to be a mudhole that would stop a lifted jeep. Only thing sticking out of the hole was his handlebar, rest of the bike was submerged. We got it pulled out of the hole, and then the fun began - would it start? Pulled the plug, cranked it. Tipped the bike over on it's left side, stood it back up, and drained the water from the tank. Drained the fuel and water out of the carb. I ran the KLR out of the woods and to the closest gas station for three quarts of oil, and we drained the oil. Only ill effects seemed to be the clutch cable sticking, and my brother swearing off trail riding.
Tinker1980 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2013, 10:16 AM   #35
Hop-Sing
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 401
riding alone

If I had to ride with someone I would never ride.
So the issue is getting stranded.
That means we are talking about being by ourselves and in trouble.
This is a subject I could then talk about.

Being aware of your surroundings is vital.
And being prepared is good, but we are still talking about being stranded.
So no matter how prepared you are, you are still stranded in this thread.

If you are an ADVenturous person, keep yourself fit. be ready for something to kick your ass. and then get up and take care of it.
otherwise stay at home.

Maybe this is why I ride alone!
Hop-Sing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2013, 10:03 PM   #36
Geolander
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 367
January of 2011 I backpacked about 20 miles into Pike National Forest intending to stay the weekend. I left late Friday morning and was planning to be back Sunday afternoon. I had just received a Garmin eTrex 20 for Christmas and didn't bother taking any hard maps. Just the GPS. Well no one told me that alkaline batteries have an exponential discharge rate below 32 degrees fahrenheit... Well I must have left the GPS on overnight Saturday into Sunday because when I woke up to a blizzard a couple of hours before sunrise on Sunday morning the GPS was dead, and my tracks by sunrise were completely covered in snow.. Like everything else.. My sleeping bag, me, the inside of the tent, my outer layer of clothes, my backpack... I didn't even have snowshoes for the trek out. Just some microspikes... I ended up out there until Thursday. It was by far and away the most terrifying experience of my life. My only saving grace was my ability to make a fire with wood that was soaking wet, knowledge of basic survival shelters for added protection against the elements and reflecting a fire's heat.

I really honestly thought I was going to die in my sleep from hypothermia out there... That or carbon monoxide poisoning from trying to sleep so close to the punky fire all night.

What I learned...

Should be obvious.. Always bring hard maps.

......and don't rely on technology. Always have some primitive / low tech back ups.
Geolander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2013, 11:57 AM   #37
Seppo
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 484
i got stuck pretty bad twice. on the same day.

when i was in australia, i bought a xr650r, put a big safari tank on it and did some offroad riding. one day i decided that i wanted to go from cooktown to musgrave roadhouse via the starcke track (i think thats the name)
its not a particulary hard track, but there are some watercrossings. after a few smaller ones, i came to a big one. got off the bike to check the depth and it was ok to ride through. but only just. so i started to slowly ride through the river (maybe 50m wide) and everything was ok. but then, i must have hit something, a stone or whatever, and i lost my balance. the bike leaned over to the left side (where the air filter is) and i don´t know if i hit the stop button or if it stalled, but now a was standing in a river with a loaded bike and crocodile warning signs everywhere around me. i´m sure, i was only able to push the bike out of the water because i was full of adrenalin and fear. i know, its not THAT dangerous, but i was scared. so i pushed the bike out and tried to kick start it. no way. took of the air filter, pulled the decomp lever and kicked the shit out of it. about 10 times, then i was exhausted. 5min break, and all over again. this went on for about an hour, kicking, resting, kicking, resting. i was already planing on staying there for the night...but then i heard 2 cars approaching from the river. a ranger and his family. they stopped, asked what my problem was. we pushed the bike up a little hill and got it running in 5min. it would have taken me maybe another 1 or 2 hours to get it running, but i think it would have worked. before i forget, no cell coverage, no spot. but enough water and food for 2 or 3 days.

second little misshap happened about 2 hours later. the track led through a little lake, or swamp. again, i checked everything by foot and found a line through the water that would be easy. so i thought. so i started the crossing but close before i was through it, there was a little edge. i lifted the front wheel over it, but the backwheel got caught between the edge and a rut. well, 2 ruts as i found out, because the edge was a rut aswell. funny enough, the distance between the two ruts was just a bit shorter then the diameter of the rear tire. at first i thought, easy, pulled the throttle still sitting on the bike and helping with my feet. but instead of foreward, the bike went down. the rear tire got stuck between the ruts up to the swingarm. i got of the bike tried to push it, pulled it, lay it on the side...it wouldn´t come loose. finally i had the idea, taking one of my tiedowns, one end to the frontend and the other end to a rut i dug out one meter in front of the bike. i tightened the tiedown as much as i could, started the bike and as soon as i let the clutch go, the bike was free. huge relief, it took me about an hour to get the bike out.

i guess thats not much of a problem for other riders, but that was my first big offroad trip.

lessons learned? yes and no. if murphys law kicks in, it can hit anybody, no matter how well prepared you are. for me, the most important part is, to take enough water and food with you. and i think its more likley to be killed in an road accident then getting lost and starve to death.

Seppo is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2013, 03:30 PM   #38
bungie4
Frostback

Oddometer: 445
This thread: http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=864534

Wire up your spot to as many of your emergency contacts (both email/sms) as you like. Press the Help button on your Spot, and it'll even attempt to contact fellow assistance members within a 50 miles radius of your location.

Currently over 100 inmates signed up.

Non-profit, by riders, for riders.

Blatant ad I know (I'm the developer), but it's just this kind of situation that the system is designed to help.

2013 FJR1300, 2004 FJR1300, 2013 CRF250L
I have a job, I explore, I follow every little whiff.
On/Offroad help when you need it - http://www.assistancelist.com
bungie4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2013, 10:55 AM   #39
Cpt. Ron OP
Advrider #128

Oddometer: 3,052
More stories/lessons

Here's another thread I found with a couple of interesting stories:

http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=811655

"I don't know what you do, but I know what I do, and I don't do that." --Uncle Doug, R.I.P.
"Without the possibility of death, adventure is not possible"--Reinhold Messner
Cpt. Ron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2013, 01:13 PM   #40
scottrnelson
Team Orange

Oddometer: 1,404
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cpt. Ron View Post
Here's another thread I found with a couple of interesting stories:

http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=811655
I got bored reading it by the end of the first page (bored by the time I got to #15). Any chance you could list post numbers for the other good stories besides the one at post #1?
Old 06-21-2013, 02:38 PM   #41
Handy
Sunburnt

Oddometer: 1,666
Quote:
Originally Posted by scottrnelson View Post
I got bored reading it by the end of the first page (bored by the time I got to #15). Any chance you could list post numbers for the other good stories besides the one at post #1?
And then you could read them out loud and record them and make them into a podcast and put them on itunes so I can just subscribe and listen to you read them? If you are not a good reader could you hire a voice over actress and have her read the good ones? Just post a link to the podcast when you are done.

Thanks
Handy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2013, 05:58 PM   #42
Bob
Formerly H20Pumper

Oddometer: 2,457
Cpt.Ron, sent you a PM
Bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2013, 06:07 PM   #43
2whlrider
Where to next?

Oddometer: 825
2010 I had my own experience riding alone. Trail riding I had the front wheel kick out to the side and sending me down hard on the right side. Ended up with a spiral fracture of the Tib/Fib on right leg.
Fortunately I was still in cell coverage and was able to call for help.

After that I prepared myself better with a SPOT, First Aid kit, Emergency blanket, tools, water, food and a big can of bear spray. (might slow em down a bit)
I almost always ride alone and ride with more caution then when I'm with others.
Old 06-23-2013, 08:55 AM   #44
Hop-Sing
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 401
bear spray

Bear spray, is that slang for a 38 mag.

While backpacking we always bring fire crackers, they work well and are light and small enough to tuck anyplace. make sure they work and are not all duds.

Cell service, Cell phones are a joke. Before they went digital, line of site worked, so you just had to get to 'Line of site' of a tower. Now that does not work , you have to be within a certain distance of a tower.

I broke down 50 miles out a dirt road awhile back, out in no mans land.
Deer hunter saved me a two day walk. I have had hunters point me in the right direction a time or two also.

I ran up on a sleeping bear 2 weeks ago while out on a no track ride trough the woods. I stopped and the bear ran out in front of me about 50 yards. she then stopped and turned to look at me. that is when a baby cub jumped up and followed mom. there was a full 5 minute stand off. I figured a second cub would get up out of the same bed. while I waited the first cub ran up and down a huge pine tree. I knew bears could climb but a baby bear can climb up, down, and around a tree as fast as a squirrel. it was a very cool experience and a second cub never did get up. I was trying to get from one area to another through a piece of land that had no roads or trails. I would have to walk 1/4 mile at a time to scout out my path. so I had been quiet and caught her off guard. I did make it through. but I had to be super careful as yet again I was in a very remote area. I did have a base camp set up only about 7 miles away so I could have made it back there fairly easy.

I am shopping for a smaller dual sport bike. I have no plans on giving up the trusty 650 Dakar but I need more options. the pine needles and duff was almost enough to get stuck in on flat ground. I don't like to limit myself, but being wise is a better option.
Hop-Sing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2013, 05:12 AM   #45
2whlrider
Where to next?

Oddometer: 825
Bear spray

No not a 38, actual large can of pressurized bear spray.
I'm much more prepared these days than I used to be when riding in the bush.